How Long Can You Wait to get Medical Attention, if You're Possibly Exposed Rabies?

tarheelmjfan

Proud Redhead
DS was attacked by a cat on his run tonight. It looks like a scratch more than a bite, but I can't be sure. Obviously, his only option for medical care this time of night is the Emergency Room. He'd rather avoid that, due to Covid 19. Would he be okay with waiting until tomorrow morning to go to the Health Dept? Can they even handle it? He doesn't have a regular doctor, so he'd be calling around trying to find someone to fit him in, if he has to see a doctor.

My dad was bit by a bat years ago. He was afraid, 'what if' the bat had rabies?
Upon seeking medical attention, he was told they would need to test the bat....which wasn't a possibility.
The alternative was for my dad to undergo all the rabies shots.
....but that was a long time ago....maybe protocol has changed??

Also, why does your DS suspect that the cat is rabid?

My dad was bit by a bat years ago. He was afraid, 'what if' the bat had rabies?
Upon seeking medical attention, he was told they would need to test the bat....which wasn't a possibility.
The alternative was for my dad to undergo all the rabies shots.
....but that was a long time ago....maybe protocol has changed??

Also, why does your DS suspect that the cat is rabid?
Because it's the first time a cat has run up to him out of nowhere & jumped on him.

If you're uncertain if it was a scratch or bite, I'd be heading to the ER. Since this is a real concern for you, don't ignore it.
Rabies in 99.9% fatal if left untreated.
The vaccine series is always effective if given right after exposure (according to web MD)

Covid would be the last of my worries given those stats....

With cats I actually wouldn't be so worried about rabies. There seems to be a higher infection rate with cat scratches and bites, least it seems that way. I would def. get it looked at but I think only he can make the determination if the scratch looks like it needs to be attended to now as opposed to 12+hours from now.

Urgent care may be an option too if he can't get a doctor's appointment but doesn't want to go to the ER. Just look up or have him call the particular place to ask if scratches like that can be seen by them at that particular Urgent Care facility.

I'm sorry this happened to him! I had an encounter with a bat in a parking garage several years ago, and when I called my doctor I was told that if the skin was broken, period, I would need to seek treatment. In my case, it was not. Aggression can be a symptom of rabies in a cat. I'm pretty sure a regular doctor would send you to the ER anyway, so I personally would probably go on tonight. (Any chance of retracing his steps and locating the animal and owner? Best case would be to find that the animal is up to date on its shots.)

Random advice in no particular order:
  1. Before going to an ER, he should consider an urgent care or a telehealth appointment. A telehealth appointment will probably cost a heck of a lot less than urgent care. And urgent care will cost less than an ER.
  2. It could be just a cat scratch and he'll be fine. Or he could die. Or something in between.
  3. If he chooses to go to an urgent care or the ER, he should FIRST look up with his insurance which urgent cares/ER's near him are IN NETWORK. This is something that some people don't pay attention to and it can make a big difference in how much you pay.
  4. If he goes to an ER, he should be prepared to wait several hours.

If you're uncertain if it was a scratch or bite, I'd be heading to the ER. Since this is a real concern for you, don't ignore it.
Rabies in 99.9% fatal if left untreated.
The vaccine series is always effective if given right after exposure (according to web MD)

Covid would be the last of my worries given those stats....

I'm pretty sure it's a shallow scratch, but we won't ignore it.

With cats I actually wouldn't be so worried about rabies. There seems to be a higher infection rate with cat scratches and bites, least it seems that way. I would def. get it looked at but I think only he can make the determination if the scratch looks like it needs to be attended to now as opposed to 12+hours from now.

Urgent care may be an option too if he can't get a doctor's appointment but doesn't want to go to the ER. Just look up or have him call the particular place to ask if scratches like that can be seen by them at that particular Urgent Care facility.

He called Urgent Care. They said they don't deal with potential rabies exposure & recommended seeing a doctor or going to the ER.

I'm sorry this happened to him! I had an encounter with a bat in a parking garage several years ago, and when I called my doctor I was told that if the skin was broken, period, I would need to seek treatment. In my case, it was not. Aggression can be a symptom of rabies in a cat. I'm pretty sure a regular doctor would send you to the ER anyway, so I personally would probably go on tonight. (Any chance of retracing his steps and locating the animal and owner? Best case would be to find that the animal is up to date on its shots.)

Unfortunately, he was running & not paying attention to which street he was on at that time. (He goes for long runs.) By the time he got home, it was too dark to look for it.

DS was attacked by a cat on his run tonight. It looks like a scratch more than a bite, but I can't be sure. Obviously, his only option for medical care this time of night is the Emergency Room. He'd rather avoid that, due to Covid 19. Would he be okay with waiting until tomorrow morning to go to the Health Dept? Can they even handle it? He doesn't have a regular doctor, so he'd be calling around trying to find someone to fit him in, if he has to see a doctor.
Here's a link to the Merck Vet Manual. The protocol is to put the suspected animal under observation for 10 days to see if it exhibits symptoms. If it does it is put down and a sample of gray matter is sent off for testing. Even if it has been vaccinated. If it's a stray then they jump right to testing.

That tells me ... it's not super critical to get a jump on this the same day. But definitely see a doctor as soon as possible.

I had a scare sorta like this as a kid, wrestled a mouse out of my cat's mouth and got properly bit by the little fellow. I'd just seen that Different Strokes episode with the rabid dog scare where they described the treatment for rabies and I was terrified. The doc told my folks over the phone not to sweat it and I'd be fine.

On the other hand, a cat rushing you unprovoked it aberrant behavior and a mouse biting the hand of its rescuer would be totally normal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter