how many of you own in one resort but stay in another

mickeyinjune

Mouseketeer
We have finally decided to buy, but the only thing that keeps holding my DH back is he does not want to have to stay only at WLV, he wants to be able to stay at BWV and VB. We usually only vacation in July or august, we have to fly so we only make one trip a year. Is the 7 month window hard to book for Studios or 1 bdr standard view at BWV and VB during this time?

We own at OKW but have stayed at BWV, HH, and have reservations for VB next May. We just added on point to VB, so I guess it is home, also. We have traded off to Marriott Newport Beach, The Jefferson, and The Plaza. All trips were very nice and we look forward to other trades and trips to other Disney locations. We have booked a studio and a one bedroom at BWV and don't have points there. We had no trouble with either. I think the 7 months for a summer trip might not work at HH. We went in March. I have booked 2 times to VB in the seven month window, but never was able to go. We just decided to add on there so we can have a place to stay that is on the ocean and be able to get a cottage when we have the whole family going.

We originally bought in at BWV and got an add-on there as well. Been lucky enough to get a villa there when we need them. Eventually I would like to try OKW, BCV and maybe VWL. VB if I really want to get away from it all.

We bought this spring in OKW....

So far,

1 night OKW
1 night BWV (to try them out before another trip)
5 nights HH

While there we did an HH add-on

In two weeks...

3 nights VWL
3 nights BWV

Next June....

7 nights on Magic (Yes, it was a good deal @$10 per point)

Next July...

5 nights HH

I plan on hitting VB at some point, but now I 've borrowed to the hilt....we'll see!

DVC - Variety is the spice of life!

We own at OKW but as you can see from my signature we've stay at BWV. When we take the whole family 4 kids and their spouses and 3 grand daughters we stay at OKW. We like the extra room. When DH and I go alone we stay at BWV. I try to book 7 months out for BWV and even though it is in March I have had no trouble.

WE own at Old Key WEst. We have stayed there, and my daughter has stayed there. I also booked a 6 night stay at Vero Beach only 8 weeks away from the date of arrival. Not sure if we were just lucky, but reservations at non-home resorts seem possible. We have been DVC members since October of 2000.
I also booked a weekend at the Woodstock Inn, Vermont - no problems. There was availability at the Claremont Spa & Resort in Berkeley, California but we were not able to go - family responsibilities forced us to not take this trip. So far I am happy with my ability to take vacations at resorts other than my home resort.

We own at OKW but our last two trips (12/2000 and 6/2001) we stayed at a 1Br and 2Br at BWV. Neither time were we able to get standard view. Our next trip (12/2001) we are also at BWV and again in preferred view. I think standard view is pretty near impossible at 7 months unless it is a REALLY slow time. For both the December trips we were waitlisted - the first time for a few weeks, this upcoming time was a few months. I booked the 6/2001 trip at 7 months and got preferred view the first time no problem.

One of the beauties of the DVC is the ability to own in one resort and stay in another. We own in OKW, and have stayed there sevral times and love it. But we have also stayed in BW, and love it there too!!! It depends on the type of vacation we're after...OKW is a littl more laid back, BW is a little more hustle bustle, primarily due to the location. We had planned a trip to WLV in October, but unfortunately we will be cancelling it tomorrow as DH's mother has become seriously ill and is not expected to live too long, and we don't want to go away at that time...just too much worrying about what's going on at home to enjoy the trip,so we will postpone it for another time.

That's the great thing about the DVC...the flexibility.

See my signature! Although we love OKW and have most of our interest there, we also have a share at BWV! However, we love the cruise and have decided to do Magic and VB once a year and a 10 day vacation at OKW or BWV!

Gotta love this.....

We bought at OKW a year and a half ago and could only get OKW last year. We also stayed at VB for a couple of days. We will have our first trip to BWV next month. Although we can't wait to get to the BWV I would stay at OKW in a heart beat. It was absolutely wonderful.

We own BWI, but have stayed in OKW, and am trying to get a room in WL. Just book early on for other resorts, during summer months.

We were on the free pass program until last year. To qualify for the free admission passes, we had to stay at our home resort-OKW. I intend to do alot more sampling now that the big incentive to stay home is over. It still appears that you get a bigger bang for your onsite point buck at OKW, or is that my imagination? Is there a point requirement creep with the newer resorts? A midweek studio at OKW for 8 points is still a terrific deal.

Home resort is HH. The last 5 point stays have been: OKW, HH, VWL, HH, OKW with a HH stay scheduled for next May.

Although we are new to DVC since 8-00, we have been really lucky, getting all reservations we have requested, which have been during peak use time. We bought at OKW but have stayed at WL, BW. We also got summer reservations at OKW only 6 weeks ahead. We love it and just bought another resale. We are looking forward to the cruise, maybe next summer. My experience with making reservations usually takes a long time to get into the reservation phone line, but they are very helpful in trying to find accommodations...anywhere!

One of the mantras of this board is - buy where you are going to stay. I would think very carefully about whether you can live with staying at VWL if nothing else is available. We own at BWV but have ended up staying at OKW twice - including coming up in Sept - because nothing else was available within the 7 month window. I would certainly not plan on a standard view room being available at BWV as they are taken up very quickly by the owners. Preferred view may be available at 7 months but you might need to be flexible about timing. You may want to look into buying a resell at BWV or waiting until bcv become available.

We own at BWV . I do love it there but sometimes we are wanting a more relaxing type trip so we stay at OKW. We have not had time to try VWL.
When we go next year we have ressies at BW but part of our group is suggesting switching to OKW. They like the larger rooms and slower pace, the rest want to be in the middle of the action at Boardwalk. That is what is so great about DVC.

We own at OKW. Originally bought 310 points in 1995 and a later add-on of 100 points, also at OKW. We figured it would be easier to make ressies at any resorts with one use year to work with. (Have since read posts that have advised using a second resort's points from present and next year to have enough points to secure an 11-month reservation at the second resort. A good idea.) Anyway, the original question: We have vacationed at both OKW and BW, and we will be vacationing at WLV and the new BCV in the future. We love the opportunity to have such a great selection and have not had any problems making a 7-10 day reservation at the 7-month window in the past at BWV.

I'm a bit confused and hoping someone can answer these questions for me:

If BWV is my home resort and then I purchase add-on points at BCV next year, will BCV ALSO be considered my home resort? (That would certainly be nice to be able to book 11 months ahead at either of the two resorts.)

If the answer is yes - you would have two home resorts, do you have to own a minimum of 150 at each for them to qualify as your home resort or you can own less?

Does DVC offer add-on points in any amount or would I have to purchase a minimum of 150?

Are smaller increments only available through resales?

Thanks for the help in sorting this out.

I forget what the minimm add ons are, I think its 25 points, 50 if its not your original home resort.

If you own150 BWV points and 50 OKW points, at 11 months you can use the 150 points at BWV and the 50 points at OKW, at seven months you can move all the points to either resort.

THe answer is, yes, you do have two home resorts, but only have the 11 month window using the points owned at that particular resort.

If I really wanted BWV and I bought 300 OKW points and 50 BWV points so that I could have home resort advantage, the 11 month window on my whole 350 points, I made a terrible mistake. I will only have 11 month booking with 50 points at BWN.

Hi
we just bought in at Wilderness and our very first trip 'coming home' we are staying at Boardwalk. 2BR. We had no trouble with the 7 month. We thought it would be good there because we are bringing our grown children and figured they would like the busier atmosphere.
I love Disney no matter where we stay :-) :bounce: :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter