How many of you "wing it" for lunch without PS?

vasoccermom

Mouseketeer
I'm fairly commando when I do WDW so I do try to plan which park we'll do on which day...but sometimes there's no accouting for when the family will be hungry or what they're hungry for (or where in the park we might be when hunger hits)...

What kind of success have you had in going to a sit-down restaurant at lunch time without having a PS and getting seated in a reasonable amount of time (less than say 20 minutes)? In the past we've done mostly counter service (which wasn't bad - ie: Flame Tree at AK, Pecos Bills at MK) but I'm thinking about trying sit-down for at least one lunch!

BTW, we'll be there Nov8-12 if time of year makes a difference...

Thanks in advance for all your help! :wave2:

I've gotten into the SciFi with a 10 minute wait in the beginning of December and the Plaza, in late September with a 15 minute wait.
I've never done this during the busier seasons, I usally stick with counter service for lunch.

We always go at busy times, so my experiences may not be very helpful since you're going at a slower time. We do wing it for lunch quite often, but we eat counter service on those days. We've never had much luck getting into sit-downs without a PS so we don't even try anymore. Like I said though, we visit at busy times, so I don't know how much easier it would be when you're there.

I have never made PS's for lunch at any restaurants. We have eaten at the 50's Prime Time Cafe in MGM and several restaurants in the WS at Epcot with reasonable waits. Actually, I can not remember a substantial wait during any of our stays for lunch. We may just be very lucky, but this has been our experience. We are going in December and have no PS's made yet at all. We do not have children and are fairly flexible. We prefer to be able to change our plans if we choose without having to worry about pre-made dining arrangements. THis probalby did not help at all. If you have very specific choices, PS's may be a better choice, but we like to make our own schedule.

:jumping1: :jumping1: :jumping1: :jumping1: :jumping1: :jumping1:

We will be there too! This is our typical time to visit and the only PS for lunch that we make is the Sci-Fi (just to make sure we get to sit in a car). We have never had trouble getting in at any restaurant for lunch without PS. ::MinnieMo

The only time we have been successful in getting into a sit-down for lunch is if we are ready to eat at 11:00/11:30, then it's never been a problem. We are a party of 2 and don't like to wait long. We have waited many times 20 minutes WITH PS for lunch, with our longest wait at Sci Fi with a PS for 45 minutes (I refer to that as the last time we ate there). I would recommend that you visit the front desk at the AKL and make your PS the morning of. This is something we do often if we change our minds. We cancel our PS and make a new one. It's never a problem. I never go during the busy time, so can't imagine what that would be like. We go in January, May, July, Sept, and late Oct, pretty much every year, and never during a holiday. We still ALWAYS make our PS for character meals 90 days out because nothing beats a 5:00 PM seating at Chef Mickeys.

n2mm,
you mention something that I hadn't heard of before...
Are you saying the front desk of AKL will make PS for you? I thought I was totally on my own for this! And is there usually availability to make a PS in the morning for the same day?
Sorry to sound so naive but this is our first time on-site and I still obviously have a lot to learn!

Thanks for your help,
karen:wave2:

It is rare we decide where to eat lunch before we are walking around getting hungry. On those rare occassions I've had success calling and making a same day PS that time of year. The bonus is if you are in EPCOT and find yourself starving you can grab a snack at the festival as an appetizer while you wait for a table (if there is even a wait to be had). However, I've had less success walking up for dinner during F&WF because the WS gets pretty busy during the evening hours - it is the park area open the latest and closes with fireworks, so many people go there to end their day.

We eat the majority of our lunches at counter service, so we almost always "wing it" :).

We usually only do 1, occasionally 2, PS meals a day. For lunch we either pick up something at the food court, get an icecream, or something like that. The few times we have done a sit down meal for lunch its usually at ESPN which doesnt take PS anyway and weve never had a wait at lunch time, even during busy times.

A big factor is the size of your group. If you have a large group you might have a hard time.

I usually make PSs, our only "wing it" sit down lunch has been at the Plaza Restaurant in MK.

If you eat at off peak eating times you'll be better too.

I've never made a PS in my life! Well if you don't count the Luau or HDD, lol! At Disney we're rarely hungry - one big meal a day usually a late lunch, early dinner and we're set. Just a small snacky kind of breakfast in the room or something "portable" that we're eating en route, so when you're only talking one meal a day and you have SO many good options (we also never decide which park until usually that AM) it's tough to decide months in advance what you're going to be hungry for.

So we've walked into everything and never had much of a wait. The ONLY time I've ever had a problem was on 4th of July when everything was booked so we just had counter service (which was my first time trying Columbia Harbor House and loved it! So much food for so little!)

Carrie

We always try to do counter service for lunch, so no PS for us. If we were going to sit, I think we'd try eating during off hours 11:00 or 2:00 -ish.

Now dinner is another story.

Great replies everyone! Thanks.
My problem with eating off hours is my DD is diabetic and we have to keep to some semblance of a schedule so lunch really needs to be between 12-1 to keep her on track.

Let me ask again, since it was brought up in a previous post...can the front desk of the resort we're staying at make PSs for us?

Karen

:wave2:

I don't know about the front desk, but there are "resort" phones all throughout WDW. At the hotels, at the parks - you just hit one button and it will connect you to WDW dining.

So you could easily call that morning before you walk out the door or call right when you get to the park.

This isn't new, and am surprised no one else does this. When in your room you can hit the dining button on the phone and make a PS, but alot of times we are in the food court or at a restraurant and decide we want to eat somewhere. You just go to the front desk (guest relations) not the checkin section. Most of the checkin desks are designated for guest relations early in the day. You can go to the CM and they make your PS (or cancel one) right there while you wait. They will print out a small piece of paper with your name, time, and other info on it. We have done this so many times I can't count, from the All Stars to WL. It doesn't matter what resort. Sometimes we stop at one resort for a meal, and make a ressie from a resort we're not staying at. (you should tell them, because they'll ask your room number).

Once upon a time, they use to have a desk area ONLY for dining. If you stay at the All Stars, you'll see the empty counter area across from the checkin area; and at Dixie/POR it's near the DVC desk. They don't have the manpower to operate them now, so have combined them with the checkin CMs.

We always wing it for lunch. If we went at a peak period it might be tough but in late September there really is no need.

We never make PS for lunch as it takes away from our flexibility during the day. To us, there is nothing worse then planning our day around a meal. We have found that the counter service around WDW is wonderful and saves us a lot of money. ::MickeyMo

For Epcot I would advise PS since you will be there during the Food and Wine Festival. You may still need to do counter service at Epcot as 12-1 may be booked up at all sit downs.

The food at some of the counter service places is as good/bad as at some of the sit downs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter