How much do you tip for a pedicure?

eeyorefan74

DIS Veteran
I'm sure there have been lots of tipping threads but I'm having no luck with the search function. Anyhow, some friends gave me a gift certificate for a pedicure for my birthday. I'm clueless when it comes to tipping. Do I tip and if so, how much? And while we're on the subject, what do you usually tip your hairstylist? I've been going to cheap walk in places for so long I don't know what the going rate is for a real haircut.

Yes, I usually tip 15% of the price.

So a $20 pedicure gets a $3 tip.

20% if I'm happy with the work (i.e. not too rough, no nicking through carelessness, pleasant).

I go to the same place once a month, where the pedicure is $20. I pay $25 total. It's a bit high, but still cheaper than "salon" pedicure prices and the women do a really, really good job. And they remember me even though it's only once a month.

What about if the pedicurist (is that a word?) isn't paid for the work?

I ask because I recently started going to a cosmetology school to have various things done -- waxing, haircuts, etc. After my first visit, I discovered the students are not paid for the work -- they have to complete a certain number of hours. The services are therefore MUCH cheaper than going to a salon (plus they are required to abide by very high sanitary standards, which I appreciate!).

I usually also try to go during half-price days. So a leg-wax that would usually cost $33 (already half the price of the local salon) is only $16.50. Then I tip about $10. Is that not enough? Too much?

I started going to the cosmetology school b/c the spa I previously went to had some icky, unhealthy practices, it was super expensive, and I only recently discovered the CS had such services available. I highly recommend cosmetology schools if you are worried about health issues!

Depends on the service. If she's good I'll do 20%. If I go to the same person for a spa service over a long period of time I'll tip more.

$0
I do'nt get them! Never have. I can't stand having someone else touch my feet.

Kimya

Hi, manicurist here! :wave2:

Take into consideration what type of place it is. I work in an upscale spa. We get $35 for a plain ped and $45 for a spa ped. I typically get tipped $10 and $15 on those services. My regulars typically give me $15 and $20.

Also, keep in mind the tech only gets a percentage of the price, typically 50%. So if that person just gust gave you a good ped and spent an hour doing it, 20% for a tip is good because she only got $10 from that $20 ped. If you got a rockin' ped, round it up a bit.

Unless she was annoying, rude or did a cr*ppy job...then tip low or not at all. If you do tip low or not all for any reason, make sure you tell the owner or manager what happened. They want to know if someone isn't pulling their weight.

I just was thinking of this question today myself. I received a gift certificate for my birthday and used it today. I don't know the difference between a spa pedicure or a regular one because this has only been my 2nd pedicure and the 1st one was at this same place. This place calls it a spa pedicure and charges $23.

Anyway, the girls don't speak very good english at all, and point a lot to what they want you to do. I think they do a good job. They don't keep the same person working on you though. This happened the first time too. Somewhere in the middle of the pedicure the one girl gets up, and the other sits down to finish. Then the first girl goes over to the customer the other girl was working on. SO, if you made it this far, who do I tip? I tipped $4 and gave each $2. Don't know if that's the right thing to do, but that's what I did. What would you do?

10% if I end up bleeding from a bad clip with the cuticle nippers :scared:

15% for a normal, passable pedicure.

20% for a relaxing pedicure or if they throw in a bit of extra time with some extra lotion. :thumbsup2

I usually end up at 20% since once I find I place I like, I stick with it as long as possible.

I was thinking about this too! I just want to know where are you girls getting a $20 Pedicure???!!:goodvibes

When (usually every other week)I get a french pedicure the price is $32. I tip the girl $5. I get a french manicure every week and it is $17 and I tip the girl $3. This isn't in a spa, just a regular nail salon.

When I get my hair done, I get it dyed and cut and the cost is $65 and I tip her $10.(she is also the owner of the salon)

I was thinking about this too! I just want to know where are you girls getting a $20 Pedicure???!!:goodvibes
Right now, our local cosmetology school is doing a special: $20 for spa mani AND pedi. As in both, together, for a total cost of $20. It's an insanely good deal. I think the money basically just goes for supplies and overhead, b/c the students aren't paid (hence the previous question about appropriate tip).

Of course, patrons are essentially guinea pigs for the students to practice on, but they're getting a grade, so they try to do it well!

mine cost $25 for a combo manicure/pedicure and I tip $8.00. If I just get the pedicure for $17 I tip $5.00..

Okay, I'm hoppin' up on my soap box...

I...They don't keep the same person working on you though. This happened the first time too. Somewhere in the middle of the pedicure the one girl gets up, and the other sits down to finish. Then the first girl goes over to the customer the other girl was working on. SO, if you made it this far, who do I tip? I tipped $4 and gave each $2...

That is ssoooo annoying. Why do they do that?!? I think you tipped perfectly, who gets up in the middle of working on a client?!? Wierd.

BTW, any place you can get a mani/pedi for $25 or the like, watch out! 1/2 the time the techs aren't licensed and their tools certainly aren't clean. Two stories:

1: I am a licensed manicurist for 14 years. I took two of those years and went to work at a podiatrist's (foot Dr.) office. The Dr.'s were not thrilled with people getting peds because of all the fungus and infections they saw in their office. Keep in mind they only saw the "peds gone bad" in the office...I would ask those patients where they had their ped and every time it was at one of these "chop shops". If not being cleaned properly, those whirlpool foot baths can be filthy! I don't want to freak you out so much as to make you aware. If you're not sure how they are cleaned, ask! You have the right to know.

2: I once got a client fom a "chop shop". She was sitting having a ped when the state board walked in for their annual inspection. The girl at the front desk announced their arrival. The girl working on my client and about 5 others got up and ran out the back door! These women, obviously, were not licensed. I'm not saying these women aren't good at what they do, I am saying they may not be trained on proper cleanliness techniques. Hense, the annual inspection.

In conclusion, :goodvibes ask. Ask how the ped stations are cleaned, their tools are sanitized and to see the licenses of their employees. Those licenses should be displayed where you can see them and there should be a picture on every one.

...hoppin' off now. :goodvibes

I go to one of those "mall" type places, and it's $30 for a pedi. I tip $5. They do a good job, but they are often rushed, and there is no major relaxing going on...the pedicurists (is that a word) are often talking to each other in their native language while they do people's feet. I'm not complaining...I like it because it's not too expensive, and you don't need an appointment.

A manicure and a pedicure is around $25 here. I tip 5 or 6 bucks.

We joke that the only cheap thing in Northern NJ (where I am) is the gas (which we don't pump, but even that is relative nowadays) and a mani/pedi!
:lmao:

Karen

Okay, I'm hoppin' up on my soap box...

That is ssoooo annoying. Why do they do that?!? I think you tipped perfectly, who gets up in the middle of working on a client?!? Wierd.

BTW, any place you can get a mani/pedi for $25 or the like, watch out! 1/2 the time the techs aren't licensed and their tools certainly aren't clean. Two stories:

1: I am a licensed manicurist for 14 years. I took two of those years and went to work at a podiatrist's (foot Dr.) office. The Dr.'s were not thrilled with people getting peds because of all the fungus and infections they saw in their office. Keep in mind they only saw the "peds gone bad" in the office...I would ask those patients where they had their ped and every time it was at one of these "chop shops". If not being cleaned properly, those whirlpool foot baths can be filthy! I don't want to freak you out so much as to make you aware. If you're not sure how they are cleaned, ask! You have the right to know.

2: I once got a client fom a "chop shop". She was sitting having a ped when the state board walked in for their annual inspection. The girl at the front desk announced their arrival. The girl working on my client and about 5 others got up and ran out the back door! These women, obviously, were not licensed. I'm not saying these women aren't good at what they do, I am saying they may not be trained on proper cleanliness techniques. Hense, the annual inspection.

In conclusion, :goodvibes ask. Ask how the ped stations are cleaned, their tools are sanitized and to see the licenses of their employees. Those licenses should be displayed where you can see them and there should be a picture on every one.

...hoppin' off now. :goodvibes

TBH, this is why I don't get pedicures so much anymore. I've heard and read too many stories about people getting nasty things from those strip mall, low-cost places that I won't go to them anymore. But the more reputable places are out of my budget. Ah well...I just keep my feet tidy at home or now and again visit the Aveda cosmetology school in San Antonio. :thumbsup2

What about if the pedicurist (is that a word?) isn't paid for the work?

I ask because I recently started going to a cosmetology school to have various things done -- waxing, haircuts, etc. After my first visit, I discovered the students are not paid for the work -- they have to complete a certain number of hours. The services are therefore MUCH cheaper than going to a salon (plus they are required to abide by very high sanitary standards, which I appreciate!).

I usually also try to go during half-price days. So a leg-wax that would usually cost $33 (already half the price of the local salon) is only $16.50. Then I tip about $10. Is that not enough? Too much?

I started going to the cosmetology school b/c the spa I previously went to had some icky, unhealthy practices, it was super expensive, and I only recently discovered the CS had such services available. I highly recommend cosmetology schools if you are worried about health issues!

My daughter is in cosmetology school, and since they do not get paid for the service (they get hours), they do appreciate the tips. She is saving hers for a celebration after she graduates in August.

Anna: You might go to my daughters school for your services! MidWest School of Cosmetology in Normal, IL?

For anyone who wants a good (supervised) cut, color, mani/pedi, facial or waxing, the schools are so economical and a way to treat yourself on a budget!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter