How much is travel insurance?

DisneyDad1736

Mouseketeer
Cruising in a few weeks for 7 days and wondering how much the cost ranges for travel insurance through Disney? Is it really expensive? Thanks

Cruising in a few weeks for 7 days and wondering how much the cost ranges for travel insurance through Disney? Is it really expensive? Thanks
I think it's hard to give a exact dollar figure because I'm pretty sure it's technically based on the price of the trip.

The concept of expensive is also a little bit relative. For my five day cruise in april, I think the insurance would have been another 900? I don't remember exactly.

The insurance through DCL tends to be “expensive” compared to insurance obtained via a third-party vendor. Look at the coverage levels, door-to-door aspect, if you need pre-existing conditions waiver, etc.

The expense of travel insurance is worth it unless you’d be ok losing the amount you paid for the cruise, or worse incurring significant expense of medical bills and travel accommodations in a foreign country.

I would buy 3rd party insurance. Disney only covers what you bought with Disney. Other trip insurance can cover flights, and any non refundable parts of your trip. I look for a high medical evacuation coverage as that is a huge expense if you need it. We've been paying under $400 for a family of 4 for $12,000 in trip expenses. I think we used Nationwide the last couple trips. We have not needed to submit any claims so I have no knowledge of that.

The expense of travel insurance is worth it unless you’d be ok losing the amount you paid for the cruise, or worse incurring significant expense of medical bills and travel accommodations in a foreign country.
You really really really need to do your homework on travel insurance. Check what may be covered by your credit card if you paid for everything with the card. Check your health insurance. No sense buying double coverage. I bought full coverage twice in 44 years of cruising. On Disney because it was the most expensive cruise we had ever taken, and because it was during Christmas season when travel is heavy and weather bad.
Also bought it for my Celebrity cruise in 2019 because they had a promotion going and full coverage for a 7 day cruise and air fare (booked through Celebrity) was only $25. Every employer group health insurance policy always covered us outside the U.S. including medical evacuation because employees sometimes traveled on business. When I retired and went on Medicare, that all changed I thought because Medicare does not cover care outside the U.S.. However, my private Medicare supplement does cover international care and medical evacuation. Remember, Travel insurance is the most profitable product insurance companies sell because claims are rare, and often are less than the premiums you paid.

We always get third party through our travel agent. These numbers are fresh on my mind cause I just paid them…coverage for $3000 for a 3-day wish cruise, two adults, covering day before embarking and transfers…$174. I questioned that number because I always remember it being like $50/person, but it’s also age dependent and I am older now lol and like everything I think it has gone up in price….mine was $102 and my son was $72 of that. I believe under 18 is free.
Covers up to $100,000 accident, up to $1 million med evac, that is important.
We always get insurance for cruises, have had to put in claims on two trips out of like 15 for just a visit to the health center on the ship, each medical visit ended up costing more than the insurance, I would say count on a couple hundred dollars to be seen and treated. You pay upfront, then put in claim and they reimburse. Last claim was last years cruise, and it did take awhile (months) to get reimbursement. But was all easy submitting pictures of the docs online…just remember if you have to go to medical, get as much of a detailed invoice as you can printed out for easy submitting of docs when you get home.
We don’t get the insurance for the possible health center visits, though. We get it for that chance of getting hurt off the ship in another country or med evac.

We always get the insurance from DCL, I know it’s expensive but just easier for us. We booked the treasure for 2025, a little over 5800.00 and the insurance cost was $468.16. So I think for DCL they are charging around 8%.
My son in law didn’t buy the DCL insurance and thinks he can get it for less than $200.00 by shopping around.

Asking and giving out premiums for travel insurance is like asking how much is your homeowners or auto insurance. There are a lot of variables that go into how much travel insurance costs. How much are your coverages? Does it cover for any reason cancelation? How much is your trip? What are the ages of the travelers? These are only a few. Shop around and compare apples to apples. Don't compare to price alone.

Circling back to the original question. I couldn't answer for the DCL insurance cost. I don't use DCL to cover my trip. I need coverage that is going to cover my hotel, airfare, and other expenses that are not included in my Disney Cruise booking and what Disney's insurance will not cover.

Prices on 3rd party insurance also depends on your age. If you are older you may find DCL Insurance at 8% is actually cheaper.

I stopped using DCL insurance because they only covered flights booked through DCL and they don't book SW. I have been able to get better coverage cheaper than DCL. I use sites to shop around for the policy. Insuremytrip is my go to for shopping. Forbes also has some great articles. I am very paranoid about needing to be evacuated off an island/ship (It happened to a friend and they had to put down a credit card to pay for it and fight with the their insurance company later).
We had to use our cruise insurance in 2017 and it was so easy and the reimbursement was quick. It saved our trip.

We live in Orlando area and don’t need a lot of what’s covered for travel insurance so only buy “catastrophic” insurance for basically medical evac level stuff. It’s typically about $100 for a week cruise.

It all depends on what you want covered. I live in FL and drive to the port. I always get 3rd party travel insurance because I think what Disney offers is too little and costs too much. I can usually get coverage I want for a little more.

I have never seen 7 day coverage as low as $100 as others have said and it is just my husband and I BUT I also get high limited on evacuation and medical and we are also in the 50+ age range. I personally feel people under estimate the cost of getting evacuated. Look at recent Youtube Vlogs... Man had a heart attack on a ship, was sent to a hospital in Mexico. He was basically held hostage for $60K++ in medical costs plus over $25k to evacuate. Family and friends had to max out credit cards to get him home, then he still had to have more surgery etc.

Age does have a lot to do with it. On our most recent cruise MIL went as well in her own room. The 7 day cruise was 4500 per room. DH and I got coverage for mid $300's. MIL is in her 80s and same coverage with the same company would have cost her almost $1000. She opted for Disney coverage because they don't care about age, they base is on the cost of the cruise - but again what they cover is a lot less for medical and evacuation.

Think about what you want covered and then go from there. I get my quotes, compare coverages and when I find ones I am interested in look at their ratings and stick with the A+ and A++ companies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter