How much should I budget for an Alaska sailing?

Hello,

My family and I are looking to go on an Alaska cruise in 2024 to celebrate my mother's 60th birthday. We are all very excited but looking to budget for the expected cost. We are looking at getting 2 deluxe verandah staterooms. Dow anyone who sailed in 2023 have any feedback on how much we should budget for just the sailing? Any recommendations on the best time to sail or excursions would also be greatly appreciated.

How many people? That matters, as well as the accommodations. I would budget at least 8K per room, minimum.

Be sure to allow for excursions if Alaska is a "one time" event. So many cool things to do! We love Disney, but are considering going non-DCL (in our situation a huge money saver) to spend the money on excursions. We also found it cheaper to fly in/out of Seattle (again, due to our situation with points) with other cruiselines vs Vancouver where we had no discounts. Another cost savings would be to have one Veranda, and one inside cabin, or you might be able to get two cabins near eachother with different prices due to view and forward/aft. The prices for adjacent cabins can differ. Use a reputable Disney travel agent, they typically give a ship board credit based on how much you spend!

How many people? That matters, as well as the accommodations. I would budget at least 8K per room, minimum.
Just booked my September 2024 sailing 😊 was able to get it at 6k (2 people) ans 7k (3 people) per stateroom.

We are stopping at Junea, Ketchikan, Glacier.

Any recommendation on excursions?

The biggest bucket-list-type DCL excursions can be really expensive. Here were some of the 2022 per-person prices I saw:
  • Dog Sled Adventure by Helicopter - $799
  • Misty Fjords National Monument by Seaplane - $399
  • Glacier Explorer (smaller boat during glacier viewing day) - $264
  • Whale and Marine Mammals Cruise - $209
  • Aerial Zip and Rappel Adventure - $209
  • Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast - $189
  • Icy Strait Kayak Adventure - $154
  • Gold Creek Salmon Bake - $64

Not sure of the ports but these are the things we did. The flightseeing and helicopter excursions are expensive but so worth it!

In Ketchikan we've done seaplanes with Island Wings 3x (twice to - successfully - see bears at Anan Creek ($650) and Traitor's Cove ($425) - and once Misty Fjord Sightseeing - $325). Awesome company and excursions.

In Juneau we went whale-watching twice and did a Pilot's Choice double glacier landing with Temsco Helicopters. Very cool to walk on the glaciers. We've also gone up the Tramway which provides great views over the town and beyond. We stopped at Red Dog Saloon for lunch.

In Skagway we did the dog-sledding/glacier excursion with Temsco Helicopters ($579 age 12+) and twice we rented a car and using Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway drove to Emerald Lake. (Google for the guide which lists things to see/do by mile marker. Some of the places we stopped at along the way - Tutshi to see the Sled Dogs(puppies), Yukon Suspension Bridge, and the Welcome to Alaska highway sign.) Be sure to bring a passport for when you cross into Canada.

In Sitka we walked around on our own and went to the Raptor Center, Sitka National Historical Park/Totem Park, St. Michael's Orthodox Cathedral, and had a reindeer hot dog.

We were one of the first ships when we went to Icy Strait Point and there wasn't much going on so other than taking a bus around the town, we didn't do much.

In Victoria we did a hop on hop off bus with a stop at Craigdarroch Castle and a stop to explore downtown, walking as far as Fan Tan Alley. Then we walked to the wharf and had some fish and chips at Barb's while we watched the sea planes landing amongst the float homes.

We always had an amazing time and had time to walk through the town (Ketchikan has totem poles and Creek Street, Juneau has the tram for great views, etc.) - and there's plenty of shopping although most stores in each port and from port to port are very similar.

We booked everything independently - nothing through the cruise line. Whatever you do, you'll have a blast! (As you can see from the post above there is a big difference between Disney excursions and booking independently. The dog sledding in Skagway is close enough to the ship to walk so Disney is not doing anything extra for their $200.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter