• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much sunscreen?

AKL_Megs

DIS Veteran
Curious how much others would bring.

We are taking a quick last minute trip, and won’t be checking a bag, so I’m stocking up on 3oz bottles of Ultra Sheer while Target is running a sale.

We are 2 adults, 1 child.

We will have 2 park days and will be applying it to faces and shoulders on those days.

We have 2 “free” days. We will probably swim most of the day one day, with a break in the afternoon. The other day will probably include swimming, but also Disney Springs.

We usually do spray, so I have no idea how to gauge the lotion formula usage.

Take more than you think you'll need. :)
I go through three of the large spray bottles of SPF 50 in a week at WDW.
But then again I burn easily.
A legacy from my red haired Grandma. :sad1:

I use those 16 oz NO-AD bottles for my wife and I and our 2 kids (we also have an infant that has her own baby sunscreen). I say we would need 1 for us and 1 for the kids for a week? But that's a full week of swimming, I'm not walking around the park with just a bathing suit on.

Depends on how much you use!

Those spray bottles will be depleted after 1 day though. There is hardly anything in there.

Many dermatologists recommend a 1 oz application every 2 hours you're in the sun for an adult, if using on the whole body. A kid is smaller so they would use less, and obviously, if you're only applying to shoulders and face, you would use less.

Personally, we've never used anywhere near that much. A 16 oz bottle lasted us 12 days in Florida with 2 kids and 1 adult using, though the adult didn't use it nearly as much as he should have and ended up a bit burned.

Easiest gauge I can think of 1.5 bottles per day for the amt of people OP listed. I included an amount to go on pale legs,arms and feet as well because well they need the product too.

I don't want to be at the dermatologist being regularly tested/treated for skin cancer and sun spots in my even older age.

We have done fine with one 3oz bottle sunscreen lotion for up to 4 days with 3 kids. It's usually still half full when we return.

We did the travel Coppertone sprays so 2 ounces not 3. We went through 3 ounces (1 1/2 travel bottles) for two adults in three days with swimming everyday. We both burn easily but also were bad about remembering to reapply. I'd probably buy/bring 2 bottles for fear 1 wouldn't be enough

I would pack three small bottles for the first day, and plan to buy the kind you're used to while you're there. If you're used to one kind,you may not apply another evenly or properly. I did that at last summer's beach vacation and we all ended up with sunburn streaks from the lotion! Now I just use the spray, and reapply often!

We went through a 16 oz bottle and 2 solid sunscreen sticks for 7 days for a family with 2 kids and 2 adults. I loved the sunscreen sticks because I never worried about them opening in my bag.

I think we go through 2-3 120mL (4oz) bottles of kinesys (non aerosol spray) over one week of cruising, so my expectation is we will do something similar while in Florida. Will have extra sunscreen just in case, of course. You never know.

When we go in April, I usually buy 4 bottles and then another 2-4 because I start to run out-I get neutrigena 3oz size for my dh otherwise his skin breaks out and me the Hawaiian tropic because I like the smell and I usually slather that on my kids too. Multiple times since it’s a beach vacation and our bodies have not seen sun in months. That is for 11 days. I think. Maybe more now that I think about it because CVs is on the way out of my sisters road. Well on every corner, who am I kidding!

Now we are going next month and I don’t know what to do or how much to bring. Like you in the park days it will be face, ears, shoulders and maybe arms but we will also do a mid day break. And then pool days plus a water work day. Total of 11 days. I will probably end up buying one or two of the Hawaiian tropic and then have 4 neutrigena and mainly use the HT because the neutrigena can go home with us as we have no checked bags.

I burn easily but usually only apply one in the morning before we go to the park and then I usually never reapply. We use spf 50 spray and a face stick on my kids faces. We take some with us to the parks just in case.

Just a head’s up. If you are staying at Contemporary CL you can get a 3 oz bottle of Coppertone 50 SP sunscreen from the concierge as a hotel amenity.

Edited to Add: YC CL has the same sunscreen.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter