• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How nice are the rental strollers?

ms jackson

Earning My Ears
We are trying to decide on bringing our own stroller or just renting. Does anyone know how nice the strollers are at Epcot and MK? Do they recline? Do they have storage? Any advice welcome!

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Here is a link about strollers in the park:

http://www.wdwig.com/strol_faq.htm

No, unfortunately, they don't recline. I'm not sure how much storage they have either. They are the hard plastic kind that does have a canopy over them.

You didn't mention how old your child/children were. If it is an infant, I'd bring your own, because these don't recline and the infant will get "lost" in there. If they are older, I guess it depends on your child and how much they use a stroller (if it is only going to be used a few times when the child gets tired, or if the child is used to spending a lot of time in there and sleeping). We are bring our own strollers for our DD (4) and DS (15 mos) when we go in May, so that we will also have them available outside of the parks.

The strollers at MGM look comfortable--they are made of a canvas type material. The strollers at Epcot, AK and MK are hard plastic. If you use one I would bring a blanket or something to put under the kids to make it more comfy. None of the strollers have adjustable seats.
For our trip I bought a couple of umbrella stollers. They were so handy in the airport and getting around in and out of the parks.

Thx for the info. I think we'll be bringing our own even though it doesn't recline. Our son is 3 1/2 and I think its wishful thinking that I'll ever get him to lay down and take a nap anyway. Do strollers get stolen frequently?

We have never had a problem with our own stroller being taken (only moved sometimes by cast members rearranging the stroller parking lots). We always hang an identification tag on our stroller and maybe something bright like a bandanna. I have never rented a park stroller and have read on several other sites of people having theirs stollen or even people that just take someone's if it looks unused or convenient. So I would be more worried about the rented ones "dissapearing" than your own. We have taken ours for the past four years with our son who is now 5.

Our children perferred the non-MGM strollers (they don't like umbrella strollers). They perferred the Disney strollers to their strollers at home - possibly because they are getting a little large for their strollers at home and the Disney strollers are large and easy for them to get themselves in and out of.

If your 3 1/2 year old hasn't been in his stroller recently, you may want to see how he fits. Getting mine in and out of his stroller isn't worth the effort - he is too tall to fit comfortably, and his feet are too big to get him in and out.

Crisi,
I'm so glad you mentioned that. He hasn't been in it since September and he grows so-o fast. I'll try it out tonight. Thx!:p

Last year we rented a double stroller for my then 3 YO and 5 YO. They loved it. It was so much easier than bringing their stroller as I had done in the past. They don't recline, but if you had a double, he could lay down in it. (Mine never nap so it wasn't an issue!0:)

We brought our own stroller with us to Disney and I'm glad we did. We went to MK for breakfast and didn't bring our stroller because we were just going to eat and didn't plan on spending alot of time in the MK that day. We decided to stay for a bit longer than planned and rented one of Disney's strollers. That was the first and last time we rented one. It didn't recline and there wasn't much storage space, it was hard, not very comfortable.

I prefer my stroller because my daugther is used to it and it is comfortable. It reclines and the shade comes down quite far which was a big plus with the sun and there is a storage basket underneath for her diapers and snacks. It was a big plus to have in the airport because she was able to sit and relax in it and we didn't have to worry about chasing her! It folds up pretty good and it will be coming back with us to Disney in May. :D

Strollers at the MK are the pits! Hard plastic contraptions, not condusive to a little snooze. No storage space either.

Ones at AK looked much better. We brought a lightweight double stroller (like a double umbrella and children 3 & 4) and were very glad we did.

We went two years ago with a 31/2 year old and rented a stroller. It was fine. She never would have fallen asleep at the park anyway. She could get in and out easy and really only used it when we walked distances. Most of the time you are standing in line or enjoying an attraction. She never complained about it being hard. We rented at AK, MK, and MGM (I think). It was easier than carrying a stroller on the shuttles and in the airport. I will say though, that we are going soon with a five year old and a two year old and we may bring a cheap umbrella stroller for the younger one in the airport and if we go anywhere besides WDW but we will rent a double stroller in the parks. The five year old may not use it much but the less walking, the less tired, the less whining!

I forgot to mention that we solved the lack of storage space by just hanging our bag off the back of the stroller. We had to carry our stuff into the park anyway so it was not a big deal. The stoller never tipped over with the bag on it - like an umbrella stroller would.

My 3 yr girl is too uncomfortable in her umbrella stroller because it is not very big.
We rent and we have found that renting a double stroller just for her works great.
She has extra room and can put a little cooler pack next to her so she can get her own drinks when we go from attraction to attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter