How strict are the age limits for the kids club?

VeronicaZS

DIS Veteran
My 3 boys will be 7 and 5 1/2 at the time is sailing. I would want them all in the Explorers (6-8) Program vs. having the twins in the Aquanet program (3-5). Will this be possible?

It depends. They will occasionally let siblings move up to the next group depending on the ship and how many kids are on board. You can ask when you get on board, but I wouldn't count on it.

My just turned 6 year old boy was told to move down to the 3-5 year olds after one session. He wasn't mature enough to play the games with the kids in the 6-8 age group. We also have an 8 year old boy and a 4 year old girl. Needless to say the 6 year old was quite upset being sent back to the "baby" room. I kept telling him he made that happen by not playing correctly with the big kids. We just got off our cruise today. I know of another 6 year old that was in the 3-5 group as well. I'm not sure if they allowed the other way or not...

Thanks for asking this question. Looking at a May 2017 cruise and my girls will be 5,9,and 11. Looks like my 2 older girls would separated from my 5year old. Hmmm....this is one of the reasons why I keep going back to DCL, because even at those ages, my girls would be in same kids club. This would be our first cruise and just not sure how my youngest DD would be separated from her older sisters.

I guess we don't have to make use of the kids club on RCCL but DH and I would like some relaxation/adult time as well on the cruise. Lol (sorry by the way, if that sounded selfish).

The first time we cruised my older 2 were together and the younger was by herself. I was worried beforehand that she would feel left out. But they each made their own friends quickly and she was fine being without them. She would beg to go to the club. I say give it chance the first day so she gets to meet some of the other kids and see how it works out.

Our grandson was two weeks short of his 12th birthday the last time we sailed with him, and they wanted to put him in the 9-11 group. We managed to get him into the 12-14 group, but there were activities (like ice skating) where you had to be 12 in order to participate w/o a parent present, and he was not allowed to do those unless one of us was there. Although watching a 12YO from Florida who had only seen ice in a soda glass trying to figure out ice skating was priceless :D

On our last cruise in April we asked when we boarded and were told that it was very unlikely, but to check that evening when we checked in to the club. Our youngest was less than a year too young to move up. We stated that we wanted them to be together and they allowed it. There were times when they had the two younger groups together and this was a spring break cruise so there were many kids on the ship.

when there are a lot of kids on board they are EXTREMELY strict and will not budge on the age ( which is the age you are on boarding day.) moving down can be possible. moving up is rare.

But when it's a light kid crowd, they will combine the 6-8 and the 9-11a together. So your 5 year old will be in with kids about to turn 12.

And in those clubs it's not a "wander and do what you want" place where you can sit and color or play codes games all day. It's a game-playing, group activity place.

I don't want a 5 year old playing gagaball (which is as close to dodgeball as it gets these day) with my kid who was 11 last cruise and already taller than me. It's not fun or safe for either. (DS has to tone down his fun, your kid is dealing with more physically adept people, my son is in danger from falling from his height (and a recent fall caused him to break his arm so I don't want a repeat) and your kid might be who he trips over. Neither side is good to be on. I've been on both sides as a parent and DS has been on both sides as a kid. Not fun. )

We were on a cruise last September with a small group of kids. They didn't combine groups but they did allow siblings to move up or down if the parents asked.

Aren't they separated when the older girls go to school?

yes, they are...in fact, DD4 just started preschool yesterday, but she's with a teacher that we've had for the 2 older DDs. so we know her and trust her. that's DH's issue...he doesn't know the kids club counselors, etc...so he doesn't trust them with our youngest DD. i've given up trying to fight this one because he won't ever consider it. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter