How to book dining reservation for a large group

dsny105

Earning My Ears
Trying to find reservation availability for a group of 9 (8 plus an infant). Are there only certain restaurants that have tables for a group this large? I don't seem to be able to make two separate reservations either, as I manage the total group in MDE, so if I make a reservation for 5, then try for 4, it requests that I choose between the two.

Few possible options available. (1) call the restaurant for large groups as some have certain seating times for large groups (best way to go), (2) create a separate MDE account and make two different bookings for the same time and ask to combine tables when you check-in (may or may not happen, we did this at Thanksgiving Brown Derby), or (3) book for 8 and then when checking in ask to add space for one extra (we have done this before a few times). Large groups are difficult and depending on the restaurant can make it harder or easier due to space/layout.

We had a lot of trouble doing this recently. But we are going with 16 people! For several restaurants we had to book 3 tables and just get the reservation times as close as possible (i.e. 2 tables at 5 pm, 1 table at 5:10). It definitely helps to use the MDE account of others in your group. If you are dining at an establishment in Disney Springs, try calling them directly. We had much more success that way. Good luck!

Few possible options available. (1) call the restaurant for large groups as some have certain seating times for large groups (best way to go), (2) create a separate MDE account and make two different bookings for the same time and ask to combine tables when you check-in (may or may not happen, we did this at Thanksgiving Brown Derby), or (3) book for 8 and then when checking in ask to add space for one extra (we have done this before a few times). Large groups are difficult and depending on the restaurant can make it harder or easier due to space/layout.
Thank you. I considered booking for 8, as we can hold the infant, but wasn't sure if that would be a problem.

We had a lot of trouble doing this recently. But we are going with 16 people! For several restaurants we had to book 3 tables and just get the reservation times as close as possible (i.e. 2 tables at 5 pm, 1 table at 5:10). It definitely helps to use the MDE account of others in your group. If you are dining at an establishment in Disney Springs, try calling them directly. We had much more success that way. Good luck!
Thank you.

If making ADRs from a web browser you should be able to change who can manage the reservation, which would allow you to make reservations for around the same time at the same place. For example, on my laptop, using chrome I made an ADR at Ale and Compass for 8:10 am and assigned my mom as the 'owner' and using the app on my phone was able to make a reservation at 8:15 am at the same place - our party of 11 will be split between two tables, but plan on asking to join together upon arrival. The only side note to this plan is that my mom also has a MDE account, so has the ability to go in and cancel if needed.

Hope you have a great trip!!!

So, I made several reservations for a party of 8 this week. Very few were actually for a party of 8. I had to break them up into 2 parties of 4 at the same or very nearly the same time. We will ask to be seated together when we get there. If not, well it'll be a quieter meal! What I found was that I made one reservation with my son as the owner first and one reservation with me as the owner second. Do yourself as the last owner. It goes around the "You already have a reservation at that time" deal. I did them all on my laptop. I did this all in one MDE account. However, if you want to change or cancel you will have to call in for those not under your name.

So, I made several reservations for a party of 8 this week. Very few were actually for a party of 8. I had to break them up into 2 parties of 4 at the same or very nearly the same time. We will ask to be seated together when we get there. If not, well it'll be a quieter meal! What I found was that I made one reservation with my son as the owner first and one reservation with me as the owner second. Do yourself as the last owner. It goes around the "You already have a reservation at that time" deal. I did them all on my laptop. I did this all in one MDE account. However, if you want to change or cancel you will have to call in for those not under your name.
Thanks for sharing the trick!

Trying to find reservation availability for a group of 9 (8 plus an infant). Are there only certain restaurants that have tables for a group this large? I don't seem to be able to make two separate reservations either, as I manage the total group in MDE, so if I make a reservation for 5, then try for 4, it requests that I choose between the two.
We had nine in December. When I tried to book Mama Melrose’s, I got a pop up telling me to call a special number (not the main 407-WDW-DINE number). The CM at that number was able to book us! We had split groups too but just checked in at the podium, not via mobile checkin, and asked to sit as close together as possible. We were seated at one big table everywhere but Sci-Fi, which doesn’t have cars that large.

Thanks so much for sharing as I was trying to figure out how to make two reservations and it kept asking me to cancel when I booked it under my name!

We had a family of 8 dining over New Year's. My husband and I both have a MDE so we would book 2 separate reservations as close as possible in time and most restaurants were able to accommodate us at one table once we checked in. If you want to eat at Art Smith's Homecomin' at Disney Springs, try calling the restaurant directly. We were able to get a table of 8 by calling. Also, you may try booking through OpenTable for some of the Disney Springs restaurants.

Thanks everyone for all the tips and the detailed information! Very much appreciated.

Thanks everyone for sharing your great strategies in booking a larger party. I was able to book two different reservations on my laptop using the trick someone shared of selecting another person in my party for the first reservation and then selecting myself for the second. Regarding canceling a reservation for the first person, I know that on a laptop, the cancel feature is not available. But I was able to successfully cancel a reservation I booked under my husband using the my Disney Experience app from my phone. Just go to "My Plans", click on the dinner reservation, and click cancel. This helps save a phone call.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter