How to divy Park Reservations for 3.5-day trip?

Xalthon

Mouseketeer
Me and my family, including two kids aged 9 and 7, are going to Disneyland for the first time. We have been to WDW countless times. We will be there 4 days and have 4-day PH tickets, but that first day is really a half day (arriving at parks near 1:00 or 1:30, but our bodies will feel like it's 4:00 or 4:30). How would you recommend I handle the Park Reservations? And does it even matter for that first day since we will be arriving after the PH window opens? We are staying offsite, so we will not have access to early entry, if that is a concern.

Other question... I see that Disneyland does not utilize Magic Bands (we have tons for past WDW visits). So, how is entry handled? Do we get "cards" that we swipe?

Thanks!

For your late arrival day, it doesn't matter which park you make your reservation for. Since you have never been to Disneyland I would just encourage you to go to Disneyland first.. walk Main Street... get the vibe!

For your other days I would look at the early entry for resort guests schedule and do the opposite park for rope drop.

Disneyland does use magic band plus. Has to be the new plus ones. You can't use them to pay, but can scan them for other things the same way you do at WDW. If you don't want to get the magic band plus, you can use your phone. I'm not sure if they will still give you cards or not.

If you plan to get genie+ know that at Disneyland it comes with photopass - so even if you just buy it for one person for the pictures. If you buy genie+ for all of you I would take some time to learn how it works differently at Disneyland.

Thank you! We only have the old-school Magic Bands, no so MB+. Is using the phone like Magic Mobile at WDW? That was a painfully slow process at WDW when we tried it... went back to Magic Bands after that attempt. 🤣

And is there any value in going to the park that has early entry? Might there be less of a rush at park opening then, even though more people are inside already? Especially if a lot of the off-site guests go the conventional route of going to the opposite park? Just a thought...

Me and my family, including two kids aged 9 and 7, are going to Disneyland for the first time. We have been to WDW countless times. We will be there 4 days and have 4-day PH tickets, but that first day is really a half day (arriving at parks near 1:00 or 1:30, but our bodies will feel like it's 4:00 or 4:30). How would you recommend I handle the Park Reservations? And does it even matter for that first day since we will be arriving after the PH window opens? We are staying offsite, so we will not have access to early entry, if that is a concern.

Other question... I see that Disneyland does not utilize Magic Bands (we have tons for past WDW visits). So, how is entry handled? Do we get "cards" that we swipe?

Thanks!
When are you going to DLR?
As far as reservations I would book Day 1 - DCA, Day 2- DL, Day 3 - DCA and Day 4 - DL
Having hoppers will give you such and advantage of doing what you want after the magic hopping time.

I recommend beginning the 1/2 day in DCA and hopping over to Disneyland after sunset. The half day will get you started on your time in the parks. While you are roaming DCA waiting for sunset, be sure to catch the Sh-Boom nightly event at sunset in Carsland. We like to grab an snack about 15minutes before sunset and sit on a bench in front of Flo's to watch the light cycle on.

When I have someone in our group that is at Disneyland for the first time, I like to have them see Disneyland after sunset for their first time. Walking down DL's main street with all the lights and music is SO MUCH MORE AMAZING. Seeing the castle all lite at the end of Main St is so beautiful.

It's good you have park hoppers. I would personally recommend two days starting at DL and 1 at DCA, regardless of early entry. Try to make it so at least two of the days starting are not EE parks that day. If one of the days at DL is EE, just don't start in Fantasyland or Tomorrowland (the only lands open for EE).

Quite simply, DL has FAR more attractions than DCA so merits more of your time. With hoppers and being able to hop at 11, the starting park won't make as much difference. DL is typically open later than DCA also.

We will be there starting mid-day on Wednesday April 24, with full days Thursday-Saturday.

You will be in the parks when Pixar fest starts on April 26.....
Yes, we will. But I've noticed that none of the Pixar events. e.g., the day-time parade at DCA and the DL Pixar Fireworks show, have appeared on the Disneyland schedule yet. I assume those events will be happening during our visit?

Yes, we will. But I've noticed that none of the Pixar events. e.g., the day-time parade at DCA and the DL Pixar Fireworks show, have appeared on the Disneyland schedule yet. I assume those events will be happening during our visit?
Yes. Disneyland finalizes their calendar slowly... painfully slow at times...

Thank you! We only have the old-school Magic Bands, no so MB+. Is using the phone like Magic Mobile at WDW? That was a painfully slow process at WDW when we tried it... went back to Magic Bands after that attempt. 🤣

And is there any value in going to the park that has early entry? Might there be less of a rush at park opening then, even though more people are inside already? Especially if a lot of the off-site guests go the conventional route of going to the opposite park? Just a thought...
Hummmm... I dunno about the value of going to the park with early entry.. At Disneyland only fantasy land and tomorrow land open for early entry, so you could go the other direction. At DCA it's more spread out.

I also like the idea of starting at DCA. Since it will feel like later to you, there are lots of quick service restaurants where you can grab dinner and enjoy the more laid back vibe of DCA. I wouldn't try to do all of the big ticket rides that first night. Head over to Pixar Pier and do some of the rides with shorter lines. When you feel tired, you can head back to the hotel and rest up for an early start at Disneyland the following morning.

Disneyland does not have Magic Mobile. You can use your phone to scan into the parks and into LL. It is slower than using a MB+, especially if you are scanning for the whole family.

We haven't experienced this. You aren't going to avoid crowds. I would figure out what your family wants to do and prioritize those activities. The first few hours will be pretty calm on all of the days.

Pixar Fest starts on Friday, April 26. Your logic might apply to that night. A lot of locals will want to be there to see all that is happening, including the first night of Club Pixar. I would avoid the first day crowds and spend that day/evening at Disneyland.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter