Hunky Tuna Tostada - Fall 2017 DR - completed 7/12 - Animal Kingdom Snacks

I am down to 77 days until wedding day (WHAT) and a mere 25 days until my next Disney trip.

How exciting! Congratulations! These next couple of months will fly by, for sure!

I think we are going to be in WDW at the same time…we check in to BLT on 4/8 :-)

You got a lot done that day in EPCOT/AK, especially since you started later. No wonder you were exhausted! I forget you can walk from Poly to GF, I might have done that in November if I had remembered. How is the walk?

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

I'm suffering major Disney withdrawal as a third nor'easter is bearing down on us so reading your reviews at lunch

LOVE the title

I have no plans to do food and wine and that makes me kind of sad based on your photos (hard with the kiddo anyway, lol)

do you get a choice of flavors on the ice cream flight at ample hills? Our last trip was very whirlwind, we did EVERYTHING in Epcot and MK in a couple of days. our next trip with be much more relaxed I've decided and we're gonna do all of the stuff we missed out on. One of those things is ample hills despite staying at BWV for half our trip in 2016, we are doing half our trip (at least, if I can switch to somewhere else for other half... kiddo wants VWL) at BWV again and I will NOT make that mistake twice. The ice cream flight will be ours!

The Dolphin beat out BLT for us. BLT was very nice and we had an MK view, but we had an Epcot view from the Dolphin for the wedding and we could also see DHS fireworks, sooooo maybe a little bias from that. But the feel of the Dolphin was more my style. But the only other place we've stayed is Pop, so we have lots to try :)
Headed back to the Dolphin for my bachelorette, so obviously still a major fan! You just can't beat BLT or Swan/Dolphin for walkability... Pop is on my radar now after the refurb. I will have to keep an eye on prices!

They do have a flight in Le Cellier, because I saw someone at the table next to us get it when we ate there. I was trying to hold out for the F&W one since it was cheaper... :rolleyes1 Your Le Cellier plan sounds like a good one. We had eyes bigger than our stomachs when we went and ordered wayyyy too much (because how could we not get steaks, poutine, the soup, and dessert? and maybe the mac and cheese too? :rotfl:). Next time we're splitting the entree so we can eat all the sides!
I mean I feel like this is the constant problem at any Disney restaurant! I just want to taste ALL the things!!!

Hopefully someday I will finish my DLR report...
I applaud your work updating that and the wedding report! I have been lurking along and trying to comment on the DLR report so that it keeps your report fresh on the first page :D

I'm here! Loving reading along so far!
So glad to have you!!! :flower3: Sorry I went AWOL for so long...

This looks really good. I love lentil soup and make it all the time. I feel like this dish is healthy and something I should try and eat. (I feel like I always gravitate towards the unhealthy food on vacation)
Oh my gosh it was one of my favorites, and the fact that it had some healthy grains (legumes? I don't know if I know how a lentil is classified exactly...) was just a bonus! It was so yummy. And of course I gravitate to the unhealthy stuff too. I try hard to eat healthy at home so Disney is my time to let loose!

This looks delicious, so it was obviously meant to be for your bus to have troubles. Disney buses are really hit or miss for having a good trip. Sometimes they can be really quick, but I feel like a lot of the time there are issues.
Yes, it ended up being a fortunate mishap! We had bad luck with buses on this trip, ironically, since you would think the GRAND would have the best transportation service. It seemed we shared with Poly 100% of the time and the buses filled up at Poly a lot in the morning and never made it to us. A rant about that is coming up later this trip...

How are your wedding plans coming along? You're getting really close to the date, that's exciting!
:faint: so close! Right after we got engaged, we booked a restaurant as our venue and THANK GOODNESS they are taking care of most everything - we booked a DJ, photographers, and an Airbnb to get ready in (our condo is teeny tiny and would not have been suitable), and the venue is handling basically everything else. They have a day of coordinator who we will be heavily relying on! I bought a dress... and I just now bought another dress... I know I shouldn't have even looked back after I got the first dress but it was not at all what I had in mind, I mean, it's gorgeous and it looks great on, but I was really wanting a 1950's-1960's vintage flair and the dress I bought was more 1920's or 1930's type styling. So if the second one fits, I guess I will just wear the first one to the rehearsal or something... haha. I decided that I would buy an off the rack dress since the dress is not all that important to me, so the second one can be returned if it's not PERFECT. The first one will work just fine but I'm sure every bride wants to be absolutely in LOVE with her dress. I hate being wishy washy but I also want things to be perfect. :laughing:

How exciting! Congratulations! These next couple of months will fly by, for sure!
Yes, probably too fast! :eek: Every day that countdown freaks me out a little!

I think we are going to be in WDW at the same time…we check in to BLT on 4/8 :-)
Yes! We are checking in on 4/5. If you see me around on Sunday or Monday make sure to say hi!!!

You got a lot done that day in EPCOT/AK, especially since you started later. No wonder you were exhausted! I forget you can walk from Poly to GF, I might have done that in November if I had remembered. How is the walk?
The walk is absolutely lovely, especially since we were staying in the Villas building which is even closer to Poly. We also were offered a ride on a golf cart between the Poly and the Grand. The poor CM didn't know how to navigate us to the front of the Villas building so we had a bit of an off-road, on-foot adventure and didn't save much time but it was still fun to feel like VIPs being chauffered around on our private transport!

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

I'm suffering major Disney withdrawal as a third nor'easter is bearing down on us so reading your reviews at lunch

LOVE the title

I have no plans to do food and wine and that makes me kind of sad based on your photos (hard with the kiddo anyway, lol)

do you get a choice of flavors on the ice cream flight at ample hills? Our last trip was very whirlwind, we did EVERYTHING in Epcot and MK in a couple of days. our next trip with be much more relaxed I've decided and we're gonna do all of the stuff we missed out on. One of those things is ample hills despite staying at BWV for half our trip in 2016, we are doing half our trip (at least, if I can switch to somewhere else for other half... kiddo wants VWL) at BWV again and I will NOT make that mistake twice. The ice cream flight will be ours!

I just started your new report! I had been missing my partner in crime on the dining board but congratulations on your surgery and recovery and see that you were away for good reasons! Truth be told, in part I think I have been avoiding the dining boards as I am trying to eat keto ahead of the wedding. Seeing all these treats is practically torture! Food and Wine is always a siren song for me, but honestly it makes things easier for schedules and planning if you aren't worried about eating at the festivals. I'm sure that would be tough, too, with your son's dining preferences - you'd have to take a few bites and toss a lot of those food and wine dishes! It's definitely easier if you have travel companions who can help you finish those portions!

Yes, you can choose any flavors you want on the Ample Hills flight! AND they let you taste samples prior to choosing, if you so desire :thumbsup2 It is perfect for sharing since you can get a few bites of all those different flavors. We stay the most at WL and AKL - they truly do feel like a vacation inside a vacation for me, so I agree with your son's VWL demand, haha. You can't beat Boardwalk for location (well, okay, I could say that about probably 5 resorts) but there's just something about the ambiance at the lodges that I can't get enough of.

Glad you are back (perhaps I should be saying glad I am back, since I went absent for a while too) :hug:

10/7 Continued: a Grand evening at Citricos

After our rest we had a friend over for our first time entertaining in our DVC unit! :snooty:

Hilariously, we were just in a studio, but we did have wine and Golden Girls on tv, so I mean... who could resist our invitation to come join us in the room for a drink? We had a nice relaxing visit with Sarah in the room before rustling up some hunger and moving on to one of my absolute favorite locations on property for appetizers and drinks - Citricos!

We found seats in the bar area, and for some reason I took photos of the menu....

dNEtHxW.png

uUrxqWT.png

I don't know why, because I never do that, but...

giphy.gif

We decided to split a bunch of appetizers as it was about 9:00 pm by this point (yes, I can hear the laughs of those of you with small children!) and we were all still fairly wiped out from our adventures in the heat earlier in the day.

IMsYgv4.png

First up, we have my two favorite Citricos selections - the arancini and the cheese plate. The menu describes the arancini as crispy risotto, mascarpone, and zesty garlic poma rosa sauce. ($13). :cloud9: Citricos makes arancini like I've never had it elsewhere. I'm sure y'all are tired of me reviewing this dish, but I cannot resist it. When I'm at home, I crave it. I try to order it other places, cross my fingers, and wish, but it's never *this* arancini. It's incredibly moist - maybe due to the mascarpone? While it is flavorful and cheesy, it still manages to be light. And the tomato sauce is fresh, flavorful, and slightly spicy without being overly acidic. It's simply perfection. Did I mention fried? Because it is. NOM!

The cheese plate this time featured the following cheeses ($18):

QDCK8cb.png

These were all good, but I didn't find them to be all that unique on this visit. The real star of the plate is the lemon thyme cake. I always enjoy the cheese plate at Citricos because they offer great accompaniments and the cheese selection is always solid.

Next up is the Key West shrimp with trofie pasta, spicy puttanesca sauce, baby spinach, and parmesan ($17):

JM5g1Gd.png

I thought this was okay. I know a lot of people absolutely love this dish, and R and Sarah polished it off with no problem, but I am just not much for seafood and sometimes shrimp tastes soapy to me, so I let them have most of it. (edited: I now see a hair on the plate. I am now extremely grossed out. Let's just pretend it's one of R's :rolleyes1)

Finally, we had the heirloom tomato salad, with burrata, pine nuts, mangalica ham, haricot verts, and lemon vinaigrette ($18):

X21gW7n.png

If you have not had burrata, it is a soft, fresh mozzarella usually made in house where it is served. This one was absolutely delectable. The tomatoes were incredibly fresh and had a very strong, vibrant tomato flavor - like Florida sunshine, imagine that! The mix of textures and flavors worked very well and I liked this dish a lot, though I do think $18 is a bit on the high side for a tomato appetizer.

I did not photograph our drinks because we were boring and just had wine and a knob creek for R, but mentioning the drinks has a point. We had probably the worst/most erratic service I've had since *the David incident* (looking at you, @Vernie822 and @Dis_Yoda). Our server was all over the place, but we couldn't really tell why. He was making drinks sometimes, serving what appeared only to be lounge tables, disappearing into the side room by the Citricos bar, overly hovering one minute, nowhere to be found the next. (Okay I realize I just described a bartender, but he really did not seem to have bartending duties... just trust me on this, it was a mess)

Well, anyway he ended up taking my Tables in Wonderland card and my credit card without bringing us a check to review first (which I HATE), but we were just ready to get out of there. When I got my receipt, I noticed it seemed a bit high, and quickly found the culprit - he charged us for an entire bottle of prosecco that we did not order! (We didn't have a bottle of anything, actually, despite our normal behavior). Then he acted totally put out and like he was doing us some kind of favor by removing the bottle of prosecco that we neither ordered nor received and refunding me for the difference! I'm actually still not sure that he did the refund properly, but oh well. It was so bad it was funny. A la *the David incident*.

Debacle sorted out, we went to the Tambu Lounge over at the Poly for a nightcap, but of course I didn't take any photos. Just picture a tropical drink. In a pineapple.
I had to snap a photo as we were on our way back "home" from the monorail, as I have never seen this sight before:

OLCCYPV.png

NO ONE at all in the Grand lobby! We closed down the Grand!

Anyway Sarah ended up getting an Uber ride from an off-duty Hogwarts Express conductor, while we went back to our room to settle in with this baby:

OD6p177.png

Tiramisu with Italian Sorella Mascarpone and Chocolate Sauce $12.00. Maybe it's something in the mascarpone at Citricos, but this was another gem. I absolutely love tiramisu and have a hard time resisting it anywhere, but it's certainly hard to say no to tiramisu in bed with the monorail whooshing quietly by outside your patio. And with that, another heavenly night at the Grand Floridian was complete.

Up next: It's Princess Sarah's Birthday! brunching celebration at California Grill

it's been a really busy few months for me. I am down to 77 days until wedding day (WHAT) and a mere 25 days until my next Disney trip.
Congrats! Leading up to a wedding can be super stressful! Enjoy the bachelorette in Disney! That will be SUPER fun!

2hRDWJG.png

Our next stop was the Africa booth for an item I had been coveting, which I ordered post haste. The Spinach and Paneer Cheese Pocket with Mint Raita – $4.00 was a nice portion size for the price and was packed with delicious spicy flavors. The mint raita was a nice cool complement to the unique spice flavors that had a little bit of hot-spice as well as curry type spice. I really enjoyed this and would definitely get it again.
This sounds right up my alley. Yum

rVWZPmT.png

We also wanted to have the Spicy Ethiopian Red Lentil Stew with Vegan Yogurt and Quinoa – $4.50. We had tried this previously at the Tables in Wonderland preview and it was one of my favorite dishes at that event. The depth of flavor here was wonderful and it suffered nothing from being vegan. We again enjoyed the exotic spice flavors in this dish.
This also looks good. Vegan gets a bad name sometimes.

1SbFYkp.png

We'd had these dishes on our previous visit to the festival and they were definitely worth a second visit to have again! The Warm Indian Bread with Pickled Garlic, Mango Salsa and Coriander Pesto Dips – $4.75, was one of my favorite options at food and wine because it was like a small taste of the Sanaa bread service. Unfortunately, as there's never enough bread, we had to prioritize the dips. Of course the coriander pesto was my favorite here as it is at Sanaa. Very good!
Mini Sanaa Bread Service! how could you go wrong?

FFBZNvrl.png

These are the pork nachos -
Pulled Pork Nachos topped with Onions, Cheese, Spicy Mayo, Tomatoes, and Pineapple Salsa (ours were ordered with pineapple salsa on the side). $7.92 after our 20% annual pass discount. You can't tell from the photo but this was a massive portion! They are made on kettle chips and are so flavorful and perfect for snacking. Both R and I ate all we could and we still had some to put in the refrigerator. I am not a fan of pineapple on savory things, but the pineapple salsa that came with these was actually pretty good. I'm still glad it wasn't covering the entire serving though.
I am so made at myself for not getting this when we were there on our last trip!

Oh no! Not another David level experience! That is so unusual there as usually are better than that. That tiramisu is good!

First up, we have my two favorite Citricos selections - the arancini and the cheese plate. The menu describes the arancini as crispy risotto, mascarpone, and zesty garlic poma rosa sauce. ($13). :cloud9: Citricos makes arancini like I've never had it elsewhere. I'm sure y'all are tired of me reviewing this dish, but I cannot resist it. When I'm at home, I crave it. I try to order it other places, cross my fingers, and wish, but it's never *this* arancini. It's incredibly moist - maybe due to the mascarpone? While it is flavorful and cheesy, it still manages to be light. And the tomato sauce is fresh, flavorful, and slightly spicy without being overly acidic.

I can't wait to get this at Citricos, your description just makes it sound even better :p

Well, anyway he ended up taking my Tables in Wonderland card and my credit card without bringing us a check to review first (which I HATE), but we were just ready to get out of there.

I hate this too!

I had to snap a photo as we were on our way back "home" from the monorail, as I have never seen this sight before:

Ooo. :lovestruc

I just started your new report! I had been missing my partner in crime on the dining board but congratulations on your surgery and recovery and see that you were away for good reasons! Truth be told, in part I think I have been avoiding the dining boards as I am trying to eat keto ahead of the wedding. Seeing all these treats is practically torture! Food and Wine is always a siren song for me, but honestly it makes things easier for schedules and planning if you aren't worried about eating at the festivals. I'm sure that would be tough, too, with your son's dining preferences - you'd have to take a few bites and toss a lot of those food and wine dishes! It's definitely easier if you have travel companions who can help you finish those portions!

Yes, you can choose any flavors you want on the Ample Hills flight! AND they let you taste samples prior to choosing, if you so desire :thumbsup2 It is perfect for sharing since you can get a few bites of all those different flavors. We stay the most at WL and AKL - they truly do feel like a vacation inside a vacation for me, so I agree with your son's VWL demand, haha. You can't beat Boardwalk for location (well, okay, I could say that about probably 5 resorts) but there's just something about the ambiance at the lodges that I can't get enough of.

Glad you are back (perhaps I should be saying glad I am back, since I went absent for a while too) :hug:

Yeah it is kind of tough to see pictures of all that yummy food when you're not sure if you'll ever be able to enjoy anything again! But I'm so happy with the outcome... it has been a little tough getting back to normal (my body seems to think being fed 7x per day is normal now, but I've been strong and back down to my normal 3 meals and afternoon snack) but I am very happy with how much better life is without being physically limited. I'm mostly low carbing and I've got some awesome keto recipes, I should pass some on to you. Keto is a lot easier when you're eating super yummy things!

I actually got the kiddo to agree to try some festival foods (F&G) but then decided at the last minute to go to MK for the afternoon instead. You'll see all that in the report.

Haha my child keeps telling me how he just "LOVES the lodges".... he includes great wolf lodge in that, lol. We'll give it a try if I can get it at 7 months (I think I will, it's still open all of January including marathon weekend) and we're going to enjoy the resorts a bit more and go at it a bit less hard this time. I'm planning a late morning/early afternoon horseback riding/brunch at trail's end/archery at Ft. Wilderness for our next trip so that should be fun!

Boardwalk is my home and I really miss it... we stayed half our trip there last time and we'll do half this time. I just love being able to walk home after illuminations at night. to me that's my "aaah I'm home" moment. I just can't seem to choose just one anymore so split stay it is!

I'm going to have to go find your wedding planning, how exciting. The BF doesn't like Disney, which is ok by me because it's become sort of the "mommy and son" thing that I cherish. I think he'd like it how I did it but I also think the prices would give him a heart attack, lol.

I know I owe some replies, but wanted to post this since I had it written. Be back later with more chatter!

October 8: Sarah's Birthday Brunch

To our delight, the mornng of Sarah's birthday dawned sunny and beautiful, perfect for our planned celebration at California Grill.

I think somewhere previously in this thread I promised photos of our illustrious porte cochere roof view, so here are some gratuitous "view" photos

aTcTcHr.png

OH YEAH! That's what I'm talking about. Errrr...

OjCZ9C5.png

Okay, that's better and definitely better than our view from home. Which never has monorails, for some reason!

Ydf0WX3.png

Love the gorgeous resort grounds at the Grand.

So we drank our coffee out on the patio and enjoyed the monorails passing by our building. We had a 10:25 reservation for California Grill to celebrate Sarah's birthday, and it just felt like destiny to celebrate there since her birthday happened to fall on a Sunday. We had to wait for a quick moment for our table to be ready and enjoyed the live music while the anticipation built. Upon being seated, I again took menu pics (maybe I am growing up here in my dining reporting...)

CQOiHjX.png

e2NpUaN.png

I remember thinking it was important to take menu photos here as the menu has changed a couple of times during the course of this offering. We have enjoyed this brunch a few times now, and there were some new-to-us menu offerings available this time.

We had a nice window table this time, so I had to grab a picture of my sparkling wine perched on the ledge:

4QDQBIu.png

I guess I was trying to be artsy. Kinda fail?

We have been able to ask for them to hold the OJ on our mimosas each time we've been. Orange juice tends to give me heartburn, so they are usually very accomodating.

We helped ourselves to the "self-serve" (buffet, to us pleebs) offerings:

NMrTlYD.png

Not my plate, since I don't eat nigiri.

uzLVl3k.png

That's more like it! Here we have:
- apple salad with tiny reds and greens (wut? what on earth is a tiny red?), apples, young goat's milk cheese, candied pecans, and vanilla-golden raisins vinaigrette
- bacon and egg salad with greens, frisee, quinoa, avocado, cherry wood bacon lardon, pecorino romano, sherry vinaigrette, and egg
- spicy tuna roll
- california roll
- cheese biscuit (I don't see a description for this but probably something like "aged grass pastured cheddar handmade royal-inspired scone made with hand-crafted artisan young calf butter")
- guava turnover pastry
- deviled egg with crispy lardons and spiced aioli (these are topped with the spicy kazan sauce and are insanely addictive, despite bacon being described as lardon)

and here's my side plate of charcuterie stuff because I didn't want my honey getting all up in my sushi:

E9fJMi0.png

I didn't take photos of the charcuterie descriptions since I am a bad reporter and can't bring myself to take a camera/phone up to the buffet. I can tell you the honey wth honeycomb is fantastic with the cheese offering, which includes a lovely blue and my favorite of the standard Disney offerings, barely buzzed ( Unique espresso and lavender hand-rubbed cheese with subtle notes of butterscotch and caramel. Made from the milk of Jersey cows; this is a full-bodied cheese with a smooth, creamy texture). The pork rillettes you see at the 9:00 position on my plate are another favorite. Like pork butter! everything was so good, it was hard to pace myself. I guess I had some fruit too judging from the periphery of my photo. Gotta prevent scurvy, after all! pirate:

We pretty much shared all of the entree selections, so I am not 100% on whose was whose, but I think this was the choice of the birthday girl as I am more of a protein at breakfast kinda person:

I4oQe5V.png

Vanilla bean french toast - Parker House Bread, creme brulee custard, caramelized bananas, walnuts. This was very good, but left me longing for the Grand Floridian Cafe vanilla bean french toast. What is wrong with me?!

ZnY2P2H.png

99% sure this was my choice - Crispy Fried Chicken Thigh with Korean sweet and spicy sauce, house made kimchi, and cilantro. YALL. I can taste this now. It had just the right amount of heat with a sweet and smoky flavor to it. It's hard to mess up a fried chicken thigh and this was no misstep! The batter was crispy and flavorful, and the house made kimchi was not noticeably fermented, so it had a nice acid element without being overly funky. My middle name might as well be cilantro, so this was right up my alley. I think I ate so much of this that it hurt. I want this now!

8ntZjAo.png

For the table: carrot cake pancakes, with cream cheese cream, maple bourbon syrup, and pecans. We were really glad we ordered this! It outshone the French toast for me. I loved the flavors in this and it was a lovely sweet breakfast treat.

mOvUXbh.png

R's selection was the U-10 Shrimp - gulf white shrimp, gruyere and piquillo pepper antebellum grit cake, smoked paprika aioli. U-10 was no joke, this came with two shrimp. Which was fine, I mean, there's plenty to eat every time we come here, but it just seemed kinda weird. The flavors on this were good but it's not a must-get dish for us in future. (Plus we live in Georgia, shrimp and grits is readily available at home)

NUylCM2.png

I hope she never finds this report... but if she does, I AM SORRY SARAH I just had to post this photo because her face so clearly reflects what we all think when the dessert tray arrives!!!

giphy.gif

You can see we also ordered a pot of their excellent press pot coffee. I highly recommend the very strong, very smooth coffee here at California Grill.

I rudely tucked into the dessert tray prior to properly photographing it, so here's my favorite item that I snatched off the tray like an animal

giphy.gif

... this animal, more precisely...

v2CMvfJ.png

It was a lightly flavored cookie (cardamom, maybe?) with an incredible fig center. LIKE A REAL FANCY FIG NEWTON, Y'ALL! Which I loved, because I'm a grandma on the inside.

wP3HwmL.png

The rest of the tray, for some reason oddly close up. We let Sarah have the macarons because #birthday. The raspberry cakes are lemon flavored and amazing, and the toffee is always fresh made and divine. The truffles are usually a miss for me - if I'm going to eat a truffle, I want it to be incredibly dark chocolate, not this fruity and vanilla stuff.

Final thoughts: This meal absolutely never disappoints. The special just doesn't wear off, no matter when you go or how often, and the food is incredible from charcuterie all the way to dessert. I love that they are changing up the entree offerings, no matter how I might pine for ye olde chicken cutlet, because it allows the chefs to showcase the seasons. And they did Fall so well with this visit! I am trying to get a CG brunch in on our mini-moon trip. It's an absolute must do for special occasions for us.

In no small part due to the incredible views on a clear day

LXLdGRL.png

HEY CASTLE!

sPC6fHU.png

HEY BOO IN FRONT OF CASTLE

Ekyicqx.png

And I loved the special photo prop they have added! Such a cute touch to commemorate a special brunch. Including our time on the observation deck, we were there for a little over two hours, luxuriating in all the specialness. Worth every penny!

Up Next: How do you get a hippo out of a tree on your birthday? Also join us for a visit to the MK, a rainbow, and quick service.

:hyper::hyper:That brunch tho...it just looks like the best thing ever. I am so excited to finally go during our next trip in April and I will be there come hell or high water this time! If they try to do anything silly again like cancel because of a hurricane, I will break the doors down and just help myself to some charcuterie and sparkly.

I’m glad to see you were able to have them hold the orange juice, I will be requesting the same as more than one mimosa is too much juice for me. And that chicken dish is right up my alley, I thought the description sounded awesome and you have confirmed. If it’s still on the menu I will get it. We shall see.

I guess I was trying to be artsy. Kinda fail?

:laughing: I tried to be artsy with my mimosa, and it was a fail. Yours looks much more artsy.

- deviled egg with crispy lardons and spiced aioli (these are topped with the spicy kazan sauce and are insanely addictive, despite bacon being described as lardon)

These were so good!

Vanilla bean french toast - Parker House Bread, creme brulee custard, caramelized bananas, walnuts. This was very good, but left me longing for the Grand Floridian Cafe vanilla bean french toast. What is wrong with me?!

I really wanted to try this, although I think we're going to wait till later in the year to do the brunch again, but now that makes me really want to go to the GFC :rotfl:

I am so insanely jealous of that brunch! And OMG your friend's expression facing down the dessert tray...:rotfl:

we are booked for the brunch on May 6 so very happy to see your pictures. They let you order pancakes for the table? that sounds great!

Also, love your ears!

Congrats! Leading up to a wedding can be super stressful! Enjoy the bachelorette in Disney! That will be SUPER fun!

This sounds right up my alley. Yum

This also looks good. Vegan gets a bad name sometimes.

Mini Sanaa Bread Service! how could you go wrong?

I am so made at myself for not getting this when we were there on our last trip!
I was so glad that India was back at the festival. The dishes at that booth were awesome! And yeah, those pork nachos are worth a special stop in at captain cook's! There's always next time :-)

Oh no! Not another David level experience! That is so unusual there as usually are better than that. That tiramisu is good!
Yeah... it was a mess! Having been a server in the past, I do feel bad when our servers are running around and overloaded, but sometimes there is just no excuse! :P

I can't wait to get this at Citricos, your description just makes it sound even better :p
I would be worried I'm overselling it, but everyone I've ever taken there (or to Mizner's, where it's also available during Citricos hours) has never been underwhelmed!

I'm sorry I am so behind on your reports. I am working through them slowly and surely and saving yours for a nice relaxing night possibly with a glass of wine and a bubble bath... lol :flower3: mini vacay with Raeven!

Yeah it is kind of tough to see pictures of all that yummy food when you're not sure if you'll ever be able to enjoy anything again! But I'm so happy with the outcome... it has been a little tough getting back to normal (my body seems to think being fed 7x per day is normal now, but I've been strong and back down to my normal 3 meals and afternoon snack) but I am very happy with how much better life is without being physically limited. I'm mostly low carbing and I've got some awesome keto recipes, I should pass some on to you. Keto is a lot easier when you're eating super yummy things!

I actually got the kiddo to agree to try some festival foods (F&G) but then decided at the last minute to go to MK for the afternoon instead. You'll see all that in the report.

Haha my child keeps telling me how he just "LOVES the lodges".... he includes great wolf lodge in that, lol. We'll give it a try if I can get it at 7 months (I think I will, it's still open all of January including marathon weekend) and we're going to enjoy the resorts a bit more and go at it a bit less hard this time. I'm planning a late morning/early afternoon horseback riding/brunch at trail's end/archery at Ft. Wilderness for our next trip so that should be fun!

Boardwalk is my home and I really miss it... we stayed half our trip there last time and we'll do half this time. I just love being able to walk home after illuminations at night. to me that's my "aaah I'm home" moment. I just can't seem to choose just one anymore so split stay it is!

I'm going to have to go find your wedding planning, how exciting. The BF doesn't like Disney, which is ok by me because it's become sort of the "mommy and son" thing that I cherish. I think he'd like it how I did it but I also think the prices would give him a heart attack, lol.
Okay I meant to quote this in multiple parts but that did not work out for me. Oh well, here have a couple paragraphs!

Your weight loss is amazing, you look so great in the photos you posted! I am sure it has been a challenge "training" your body what to eat and when... I definitely struggle with either wanting to eat all day long or getting overwhelmed and stressed and not remembering meal times until I'm HANGRY!! Speaking of which, I did not eat my afternoon snack... scuttling off to get that now... low carb/keto is the only diet I have ever been able to stick to. I have added back in a few things (yogurt, berries) after reading Julia Ross' "The Diet Cure" and started taking a lot of vitamins/supplements. I honestly feel like a different person. Clearly I have enough energy to be back on the boards, so I guess that's a win?! haha. Recipes welcome for sure!

Your son seems so sweet. He definitely looks like an amazing travel buddy and I love that he watches food vlogs and is open to trying different things at least some of the time! With all the festivals going on throughout the year I am sure y'all will hit one together after skipping F&W. I love that description of your son's love of the lodges... I haven't met him but can almost hear the inflection! hahaha. That wilderness plan you hatched sounds like so much fun! If I wasn't allergic to horses I would love to do a trail ride there. Trail's End continues to be a favorite for us. I think I have a report coming on that, not sure which trip we did it on (oh waah wah I know, what a problem :charac2:)

We have only stayed in a regular Inn room at Boardwalk and for some reason netiher of us cared for it much. The DVC rooms look much more our style but they certainly are hard to get! I have a friend that seems to always have extra points and she's a BWV owner so maybe she can hook me up one day with the 11 month window so we can give it another shot. The reason why you love Boardwalk sounds like the reasons we love the Swolphin so much!

My wedding planning has been totally offline, we are not doing a disney wedding with the exception of throwing in a few disney songs (mostly from the Dave Digs Disney album and Lava). We are going low key at a local restaurant here in Atlanta, trying to keep things on the smaller/more chill side. No attendants, no walking down the aisle, ceremony and reception all in one place, etc. R's mom seems to be kinda struggling with the non-traditional elements but otherwise it has been almost completely stress free ever since we booked our venue. 74 days...:crazy2:

Cant wait to read about brunch at Calif Grille
I hope you enjoyed it! You guys definitely spurred me to crank that one out faster :love:

Me either!!!
I hope it was all you dreamed of, just writing it made me SOOO hungry!!!

Yay, you're back! Can't believe your wedding is getting so close--how exciting!

That does sound heavenly :)
giphy.gif

YASSSS! Back and gif-ier than ever.

I highly recommend tiramisu from just about anywhere in just about any bed. But it's definitely better at Disney! We may or may not :rolleyes1 have done that two nights in a row during our MLK weekend trip a couple months ago...

So excited to try this brunch in April. Thanks for the review.
You are so welcome! I hope you come back with a review of your own so we can compare experiences!

6TML1ba.png

Where did you get your floral ears? They're fantastic!
Thank you so much! :flower3::flower3::flower3: I make them, and I have an etsy shop but have not had time to open it since the fall. My etsy and insta handle is mindiemouseshop :teeth:

:hyper::hyper:That brunch tho...it just looks like the best thing ever. I am so excited to finally go during our next trip in April and I will be there come hell or high water this time! If they try to do anything silly again like cancel because of a hurricane, I will break the doors down and just help myself to some charcuterie and sparkly.

I’m glad to see you were able to have them hold the orange juice, I will be requesting the same as more than one mimosa is too much juice for me. And that chicken dish is right up my alley, I thought the description sounded awesome and you have confirmed. If it’s still on the menu I will get it. We shall see.
Um yeah, nothing like a hurricane to ruin your dang boozy brunch! I can't wait to see what you think of it when you are able to go in April. I finally caught up to your Narcoossee's catastrophe night, and I gotta say, Narcoossee's brunch kinda ruined me on that place. Between your story and someone else (Lisa F? can't recall) story about goldfish, I am starting to equate goldfish with sickness! Poor little guys. Crossing my fingers for plenty of bubbles and sunshine for you!

:laughing: I tried to be artsy with my mimosa, and it was a fail. Yours looks much more artsy.

These were so good!

I really wanted to try this, although I think we're going to wait till later in the year to do the brunch again, but now that makes me really want to go to the GFC :rotfl:
I know.. the vanilla bean french toast at GFC is the stuff of my dreams, for real. If I could just get a tub of their vanilla bean butter that would be the BEST souvenir. I've even tried to recreate it at home, but no dice.

I am so insanely jealous of that brunch! And OMG your friend's expression facing down the dessert tray...:rotfl:
Um yeah, I didn't even notice it at all until I was writing the report installment and when I saw her expression I was like OH YEAH this is going in! Sorry, friend. It's just too perfect.

we are booked for the brunch on May 6 so very happy to see your pictures. They let you order pancakes for the table? that sounds great!

Also, love your ears!

We have had hit or miss experiences with different servers advertising whether or not we could get multiple entrees, but we've never been told no. Especially if you are nice and excited about trying something, it can't hurt to ask! I hope you looooove your brunch. I can't choose between it and Jiko for favorite "special" meal but it is certainly up there. And thank you on the ears :flower3:

Real life update:

Got my engagement photos back and I absolutely love them.

Bkob79i.png

Just the bright spot in my week. Back to your regularly scheduled food pics...

October 8: Continued
So we left off having concluded our eating bonanza at the California Grill, and somebody's whose birthday it was may have needed a little rest after that marathon of yumminess! So we had a nice relaxing afternoon and decided to meet up later to continue the celebrations.

To this point, Sarah had not visited Trader Sam's - so that was our objective! We put our names on the list, did a little shopping in the Bou-tiki, and then found seats on the Trader Sam's outside patio. First order of business:

kQ4RpgW.png

Mai-tais! Which is the answer, of course, to "How do you get a hippo out of a tree?" (TWO SHOTS OF RUM!)

Sarah, having a few tummy issues after the smorgasbord earlier, stuck to a pineapple cider.Shortly after our drinks arrived, our pager went off. We went inside Trader Sam's for further shenanigans. Sorry, no photos, we were having a good time and they always come out crummy anyway.

The weather had been iffy that afternoon but resulted in this beauty:

ANPbsQF.png

A birthday rainbow! After a short boat ride, we were on our way into the Magic Kingdom. The most magical of birthday realms.

P1IR6KL.png

And, #sorrynotsorry... rainbow spam:

LqRJ0gG.png

kq9CgAz.png

NjN22x2.png

A double rainbow! But what does it meeeaaaan?!

Anyway, we managed a trip on the Wildest Ride in the Wildernee-eeessss, a little space trip, and saw my favorite country bears. I tried to keep the singing to a minimum.

QFPUNZD.png

It had apparently rained on us at some point. Going from one end of the spectrum to the other, we followed fancy brunch with Pecos Bill's for dinner.

EVySbRv.png

WDKSwuf.png

We had an issue getting our food so I don't have photos of everyone's. I think they lost my ticket or something because I had to wait for.freaking.ever. for my food. R and I shared kid's corn dog nuggets and nachos with tons of fixins.

... this entry was lame so I'm going to keep going.

October 9:

The next day was our last day (boo hoo! :sad:) but by golly we were gonna make the most of it. This was the morning that the bus situation REALLY irked me. We had to wait 45 minutes at the Grand Floridian bus stop for a bus to Animal Kingdom as the expected arrival times just grew farther and farther away. We watched Magic Kingdom and Epcot buses come, pick no one up, and go (I was under the impression that monorail was your only option, but apparently they sometimes run buses?) and still no AK bus. I strongly suspect they were all filling up at the Poly and not making it to us. So just as I was about to go raise hell, a bus shows up.

fk0aT0D.png

We had a Flight of Passage fastpass to get to, for Pete's sake! Of course it was amazing as usual, and because we're fickle and only live once, we left Animal Kingdom after that. :laughing:

eW6ZLlw.png

We had snacking to do!

aAQdLg7.png

First up, from the Ireland booth:
Roasted Irish Sausage with Colcannon Potatoes and Onion Gravy – $5.50, Warm Chocolate Pudding with Irish Cream Liqueur Custard – $4.00

The sausage was very good - super brown and savory, and a massive portion! This was practically a small meal. The warm chocolate pudding is also always a favorite for us and it was again this year.

WxI5u0E.png

TS4Lww3.png

Here we have the Islands of the Caribbean Mojo Pork with Black Beans, Cilantro Rice, and Pickled Red Onions (GF) – $4.50. This is one of my favorite dishes at the festival - there aren't too many moving parts so they can't mess it up and it just hits the spot every time! I love those pickled onions and now I'm officially starving again....

BrEAd82.png

My other favorite dish, also from the Islands of the Caribbean booth: Quesito: Puff Pastry with Sweetened Cream Cheese and Guava Sauce – $3.75

This one can be hit or miss but it is just so dang good when it is good that it's worth taking a chance on.

Apparently we were in a dessert mood this day (last day, once again, yolo)

74OW9pJ.png

Crème Brûlée à la Confiture de Framboises: Crème Brûlée with Housemade Rasberry Jam – $4.25. Ours was kinda liquidy and I could have taken a pass on this, but R liked it. It was pretty well just sauce by the time we ate it. And what's a visit to the France booth without Passion slushes?

9auJvBR.png

These are seriously so good. Vodka, Grey Goose Le Citron, Cranberry and Passion Fruit Juice – $10.75

At this point, we said our goodbyes to Sarah. I can't remember what she was off to do but it was either extremely hot or raining (oh, Florida!), so we went our separate ways. I was having an odd falafel craving, so we set off to satisfy it!

TBcEoOs.png

I love Tangierine Cafe, and these were a good value for the portion size ($5.99), but that's about the only positive thing I can say for these. They weren't fresh and they weren't good. BRING BACK MY FALAFEL, MR. KAMAL'S!!!

(update: Allears says its back....)

After some drama at the airport (my darling fiance left his cell phone in our Uber and didnt discover it until we were through security....) we were on our way home again.

h1D9ldw.png

Inconceivable! (yes, I watched the Princess Bride on the airplane)

Don't worry, I have another trip to report on so expect more updates. :thumbsup2

Next up: A Mother/Daughter trip to Enjoy the Food and Wine Classic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter