• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"I am NOT a Runner"...Training for a 1/2 Marathon

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
Hi, Everyone!:wave2:

I need to start a journal because it is time for me to get motivated. I need a public forum to post my progress so I feel accountable to someone...even strangers on the internet:grouphug:.

First, a quick backstory...

I am a 38-year-old paramedic from West Michigan, married, with 2 girls, ages 7 and 9. I have always been very active in sports (mostly softball) but I had very bad knees all through high-school. My doctor's always told me that my knees were so bad that I should never even consider distance running of more than one mile. (Something about the underside of my kneecap being very rough instead of smooth which can cause breakdown of the bones:confused3) Since I was always told, "You can't run"...I believed it.

This past August, I found the RunDisney site and I was so inspired by how much fun the events looked. Then I realized that even 5K is 3 miles...more than I was ever "allowed" to run. Well, the heck with it...I wanted to trypirate:. I set my goal and told DH that by next year, I was going to be able to run a Disney 5K:thumbsup2.

So I set out on a run...:crazy2:. I made it 1/4 mile and had to walk:sad:. I went home and found the C25K program and thought I'd give it a try. I figured, "Hey, I can walk for a minute and then run for 30 seconds...it's only 30 seconds!". As the program progressed, I continued along the same line of thought..."If I can run for 30 seconds, I can run for 60 seconds." Then, I got to the day when I had to run for 3 MINUTES! I knew it would be hard, but I did it. Every day, I'd try to run a little longer with less walking. I couldn't believe it when I got to the day that I had to run 22 minutes:faint:...but I did it!

Fast forward to today...so far, I have RUN in (2) 5K races already and my furthest distance without walking has been 6.25 miles:dance3:. I just got back from a week's vacation at HHI (where DH managed to get 2 7-mile runs in...I made it to the beach house...got stuck in a thunderstorm and had to get a ride back:sad2:) so I need to get back on track. My next "vacation" will be to WDW in November where DH and I are going to try the 1/2 Marathon. DH has a goal of running the entire event. My goal is simply to complete it. The weather here in Michigan has not been cooperating so it has been difficult to get out and run. I LOATHE the treadmill since I tend to vary my pace based on what is on my playlist and I have a lot of trouble doing that on the treadmill. We belong to a gym but the track there is very short. It is 13.2 laps to a mile so 80 times around that track is only 6 miles. I did it once and it is REALLY boring:crazy2:.

This brings me to today. I am going to officially start my journaling today since it is the first run I have done since vacation.

I went 2.25 miles in 30:11 (13:25 pace)...this is HORRIBLE for me...but I have an explanation. First, it is 33 degrees out and raining with sustained winds at 15-20mph. YUCK! Second, this was the first time I brought my dog out for a run with me. She is a 10-month-old, 90-pound "malamutt" (bullmastiff/malamute mix) and she managed to get her leash unhooked about 1.5 miles into the run:scared1:. I had to stop for almost 2 minutes to get her to come back to me and get the collar re-attached. That put me behind my pace and it was awfully hard to get running again, especially since the rain had picked up and I was running into the wind.

Although I was not too pleased with my performance, I look at it this way...the 2.25 miles that I went today is more than I have done in the past 2 weeks. I got out of the house and ran. It wasn't fast, long or pretty, but I did it:goodvibes. The weather is only supposed to get worse for the rest of the week but I do have the next 3 days off of work so we shall see what happenspixiedust:.

Weather: 40 degrees and cloudy, 17mph wind, 79% humidity
Total Time: 45:00
Total Distance: 3.63 miles
Pace: 12:24

Today was Day 1 of the half-marathon training program and I'll admit, it was quite a bit harder than the C25K trainer. I prefer to start out with a warm up and then run until it is time to cool down. The training programs have me doing intervals. Today was run 3 minutes, walk 2 minutes and repeat 7 times for a total of 35 minutes. Add in a 5 minute warm up and a 5 minute cool down and it gave me a 45 minute workout. I found that during the running portion, I was running slightly faster than my normal pace. Even when I was walking, I was going at a decent clip. My overall pace is really not that much different than when I run the entire time. This program calls for exercise of some sort 6 days a week. That will be very hard for me since I work 12-hour shifts. I am going to try really hard to do it, even if it means working out at 9pm after a long day of work.

My wife was a softball player throughout school. She said they used to run more than the track team. She swore she would never "run again" once she graduated. When I started running a little over 2 years ago to lose weight, she said she would never be a runner. She was walking alot and doing pilates and some weight training, but that's as far as it went with her. When she saw how fast the weight was melting off of me and some of her friends, she started a C25K program as well.

Fast forward a year and she was running about 4 miles per day, 3 times per week. She said that was her cap. That's as far as she'd go with it. Then she hit a rut and ran even less than that. She was only running 2-3 miles maybe twice per week.

She slowed her pace down a little and just 4 months after really starting back running, she's about to attempt (and complete) her 1st half-marathon tomorrow. She went from struggling with 2 miles w/o walking to running 10-12 miles w/o walking and very little problems doing so. She's not snailing it either. I'm proud of her. She's been averaging around 10-10:30 per mile on her long runs.

Trust me, if she can do it, so can you! Stick with it, find a good training program and follow it and you'll have no problem completing the half!

Today, the program called for a cardio workout that was NOT running. I opted to go to the gym and try the stationary bike. I haven't been on an exercise bike since high school so I wasn't sure what I was doing. Once I figured the thing out, I started with the 5 minute warmup, followed by 30 minutes at about 70% intensity and then a 5 minute cool-down. So, in a total of 40 minutes, I went 9.68 miles. If my math is correct, that is about 14 mph. It was a decent workout and I maintained my heart rate between 120-140 (averaged 127 according to the computer) but it didn't feel like I was working *that* hard. I would definitely prefer to run, but today, it is 33 degrees out and SNOWING:scared1:. Seriously??? It's APRIL!! Why is it snowing:confused3?

Weather: 31 and pre-dawn, 4 mph wind, 90% humidity
Total Distance: 3.61 miles
Pace: 12:29

I was a little slower today than my last run. Today, I went out at 6:30am on an empty stomach. Day 1 was an afternoon run and I had already eaten some food that day. There wasn't much difference in my overall results on paper, but I felt a LOT better today than last time. Maybe it was the weather or time of day, but this run seemed quite a bit easier. Not EASY, but easier...

Tomorrow will be interesting. I have to be at work by 7am which means I have to leave the house by 6:30am. Tomorrow is the same run as today (5 minute warm up, 35 minute intervals, 5 minute cooldown) which means I need to be up by about 4:30am:crazy2:. My only other option is to go and work 12 hours, hopefully be home by 7:30pm, and then try to have the energy to do the run after work. Neither of those two options is particularly appealing.

Weather: 47 and pre-dawn, 7 mph wind, 74% humidity
Total Distance: 3.58 miles
Pace: 12:34

I did it! I got up at 4:30am and ran! Unbelievable! Of course, it is now 6am, I have to be to work at 7am, and a shower is still on the schedule.

ETA: I am *SO* glad I got up and ran! I got out of work late (7:30) and it was POURING rain! I probably would not have run so it's a good thing got it out of the way in the morning.

(From Yesterday)

Today was a non-running day so I tried the stair stepper at the gym. I did 40 minutes on it with an average heart rate of 130. The machine is kind of an elliptical/stepper combo. I worked really hard to make sure my motion was more vertical than elliptical. It was a neat machine once I figured it out:lmao:.

Weather: 41 and partly cloudy, 14 mph wind, 69% humidity
Total Time: 40:00
Total Distance: 3.34 miles
Pace: 11:59

This is the first time in a while that I have broken the 12-minute mark. I felt pretty crappy, though. We went out to dinner last night and I overdid it by eating my meal AND the kids' leftovers. I was within my calorie allotment until I ate the kids' mac n cheese and chicken tenders:headache:. Then, we had dessert:rolleyes1.

I have to work this afternoon, then I am off tomorrow followed by 4 days on in a row. It will be VERY hard for me to get my workouts in this weekend. The weather is supposed to be terrible (rain and high temps in the 40's:sick:) and I don't like the idea of getting up at 4:30am.

Congratulations on giving it a try and completing the 5Ks. I am not a runner either. I walk and have completed several 5Ks, five 1/2 marathons and one Full. In January I did the Goofy. I NEVER thought I would be able to do that. I mainly walk and save the running for getting around people on the course. I have a walking partner and we have three different tracks we walk at, one which is on the side of the hill. Once the weather is better, find a hill to add to your training, you will greatly benefit for it. I have never done the Wine and Dine Half (which I suspect you are doing in November) but if it takes the same route as the others, you will have hills the main ones being under the bridge by the Contemporary, a clover circle as you switch roads before Epcot and then two more hills before Epcot, one going into Epcot.

You will do great! Disney marathons are so much fun.

REST DAY!!!:woohoo::yay::cool1:

And boy, did I rest! This weekend might not go as planned. First, the weather is supposed to be terrible. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the low 40's and we are experiencing record rainfall and lots of flooding. Fortunately, our subdivision has been spared from any major problems, but the Grand River is expected to crest at over 24 feet. I think I read that 12-14 feet is flood stage so this could get ugly. Second, I have to work 7a-7p for the next 4 days. This means that tomorrow, Sunday and Monday, I will need to get up at 4am for my runs. On Saturday, I will go to the gym after work for my non-running cardio. Ugh! I am really not looking forward to this...

Weather: 39 and pre-dawn, 16 mph wind, 89% humidity
Total Distance: 3.65 miles
Pace: 12:19

I hit the road at 4:30am and dodged puddles:tiptoe:. Now, I'm enjoying a breakfast of egg whites cooked with spinach and turkey bacon, topped with a slice of cheese with a side of Greek yogurt.

...and then I'm off to work:sad:.

Cross-Training day...

I forgot I have an elliptical machine:laughing:. I did my 40 minutes of cross-training on the elliptical in my basement. I went 3.71 miles and now I don't have to worry about running to the gym after work. I probably wouldn't have made it because the gym closes at 8 on Saturdays and I work until 7, if I'm lucky.

It SNOWED here yesterday! We actually had accumulation of wet, slushy yuckiness:(. Tomorrow is a run day and calls for 45 minutes. I hope I can keep up with this program as it is very difficult to get up at 4am, workout and then go work 12-13 hours and hope for 6 hours of sleep in between. I have a long ways to go and I don't want to cut myself any slack. I'm afraid if I start accepting excuses, I will fall off track.

Weather: 24 and pre-dawn, no measurable wind, 79% humidity
Total Distance: 3.65 miles
Pace: 12:22

It's FREEZING out!:cold: I felt so crummy today after a short night of sleep but I went out and did my run. I am not going to lie and say that I enjoyed it...but it does make me feel so much better knowing that it is out of the way. I don't have to look forward to it all day. It's kind of like childbirth...you feel absolutely miserable during the process, but when it's done, you feel great and forget all about how crappy you felt:goodvibes.

Weather: 60 and dusk, 11mph wind, 35% humidity
Total Time: 50:00
Total Distance: 4.18 miles
Pace: 11:59

WOW!!! I set my alarm for 3:45am today because the trainer called for a 50-minute program, I had two dogs to drop off at two different places, AND I had to be to work by 7am:faint:. I saw that the temperature at the time was 32 degrees so I decided to press my luck and run after work. I sure am glad I opted to wait. What a gorgeous night for a run! It was about 60 degrees, no clouds, a beautiful sunset and almost no humidity. My DD9 came with me and rode her bike in front of me and I am so glad she did. I "chased" her and was able to get 4 miles in and did it at an under 12-minute pace:banana:.

Now, it is time for some ibuprofen and bed:wave:.

I got up this morning, put the kids on the bus and got all geared up to run. I turned on my iPhone, started the app....and realized that today is NOT a run day:lmao:. Oops!

So, I waited until this evening and hit the gym. I did 40 minutes on the bike. I have to work tomorrow and thought about getting up at 3:45am to run the 50-minute program before work, until I looked at the weather forecast. It's supposed to be about 32 degrees at 4am but if I wait until 8pm, it should be about 52. I think I will run after work. I don't work on Thursday morning so it really doesn't matter what time I get to bed.

That's all for now...I'm glad to report that I have successfully completed 12 days in a row:yay:.

Weather: 41 and clear, 9 mph wind, 52% humidity
Total Distance: 4.23 miles
Pace: 11:49

I ran after work again. I thought about getting up early (3:45am:scared:), but it was only 32 degrees and raining. We were forecasted for mid-50's and sunny by 7pm so I decided to sleep in and hope to get out of work on time. I can't believe how bad I started. I felt awful...winded...sore...just rotten:worried:. Then I checked my Garmin and realized that my second mile was 11:14! What??? I am closely following the program (run for 3 minutes, walk for 2 minutes) so I can't believe that I have dropped 45 seconds off my average pace. Before I started the program, I would simply start off with a 1/4 mile walk and then run 4-5 more miles with no further walking. When I did that, I was finishing at a 12-12:30 pace. This amazes me that I can do *better* with walking breaks. By the third set (out of 8 today), I was feeling a lot better. I see why people give up. They hit that plateau where you are just gasping for air and your stomach is churning:crazy2:. I used to stop there too....but I figured out that if I keep going, it actually gets better:goodvibes.

Week #2 is completed!:yay:

Today is a rest day....no cardio, no running....but I will be doing a run with DD9. Her Girls on the Go group meets after school today for an easy mile run. Their season ends today and they have their 5K on Saturday, which we are both running in together.

I'm a little sore from the run yesterday. I've never really had problems before so I think this day of rest is needed:cool2:.

Weather: 64 and sunny, 14 mph wind, 35% humidity
Total Distance: 4.11 miles
Pace: 12:11

What a beautiful day! I waited until this afternoon to run...the sun was shining, there was a gentle breeze and I was finally able to go out in a short-sleeved shirt:goodvibes. I took it easy today because I am running a 5K with DD9 tomorrow at 9am. It is supposed to be a 40 minute non-cardio day tomorrow, but I am going to do a 5K instead. I try to go slow so she can keep up with me so my time won't be stellar, but it will still be fun:cool1:.

I'm training for a half as well! I'm subbing to your journal! I have a blog that I'm keeping track of my journey, the link is in my signature if you are interested! You are doing great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter