I can't decide if i should do my first runDisney race! Help me decide!

Angeliki19

DIS Veteran
Hi! I have never done a runDisney race before but keep hearing more and more about how I have to! We have a trip planned for November (DH, DD7, DD5) that would put me there over the half marathon weekend. I didn't consider the half because I thought it would cut too much time and energy into my vacation. But now that there is a 10k I am really tempted to do it!!! I can't decide!!!

Reasons to do it:
- Always wanted to experience a runDisney race!!!!
- I know someone doing it so I would have a friend (more fun then going alone!)
- I don't need to train hard for a 10k (I run this distance regularly.) A half or full marathon would be another story!
- The timing allows me to do the race and relax a bit before heading to the parks with my family as we aren't planning an early morning that day.

Reasons NOT to do it:
- The 3 am wakeup.:faint: I'm not worried about the actual 10k tiring me out... but not getting enough sleep might! I am worried about not being able to enjoy the rest of the day I have planned with my family. There is no time for a nap, nor would I take one anyway because I am just not a napper. (Its our one and only AK day and we are planning on staying at night to see ROL)
- Getting to the expo to pick up my bib is going to be hectic as we won't be getting to our resort until 6 pm and I'll have to rush right over there. Not sure if it is worth starting the vacation off this way!

Can anyone offer any advice? I know the races are amazing, but so are my trips to Disney World and I hate to lose a minute of it.

TIA!

Last edited:
Hi! I have never done a runDisney race before but keep hearing more and more about how I have to! We have a trip planned for November (DH, DD7, DD5) that would put me there over the half marathon weekend. I didn't consider the half because I thought it would cut too much time and energy into my vacation. But now that there is a 10k I am really tempted to do it!!! I can't decide!!!

Reasons to do it:
- Always wanted to experience a runDisney race!!!!
- I know someone doing it so I would have a friend (more fun then going alone!)
- I don't need to train hard for a 10k (I run this distance regularly.) A half or full marathon would be another story!
- The timing allows me to do the race and relax a bit before heading to the parks with my family as we aren't planning an early morning that day.

Reasons NOT to do it:
- The 3 am wakeup.:faint: I'm not worried about the actual 10k tiring me out... but not getting enough sleep might! I am worried about not being able to enjoy the rest of the day I have planned with my family. There is no time for a nap, nor would I take one anyway because I am just not a napper. (Its our one and only AK day and we are planning on staying at night to see ROL)
- Getting to the expo to pick up my bib is going to be hectic as we won't be getting to our resort until 6 pm and I'll have to rush right over there. Not sure if it is worth starting the vacation off this way!

Can anyone offer any advice? I know the races are amazing, but so are my trips to Disney World and I hate to lose a minute of it.

Also, is there a runDisney board? I didn't see it but I can repost if there is!

TIA!
Do it!

The 3 AM wake up isn't that bad, you only have to do on your race day. The expo pick up might be tight but you should be fine.

Also this is the unofficial rundisney board.

Personally I don't mind the early wake ups, but falling asleep easily the night before is a different story (but I've learned to bring movies I know will help put me to sleep).

With this past Jan 10k we got to AK right after it opened so didn't lose any prime park time. We clean up back at the room and eat then head right to the parks. To me the races add a fun element to the trip and I don't think our trips have suffered with doing a race too. Just added to the fun. I don't nap either and haven't found to be suffering by end of day, but that's me.

Never had to rush to get my bib on flight day so can't help on that.

Yep, you'll find all the runDisney talk on this board!

You probably won't hear a lot of "don't do it's" on this board, so I hope you were looking to be talked into the race.

As to your concerns:

-I didn't look into the hours of the expo, but you should be able to make it if you have a couple hours. I have only done WDW Marathon Weekend, but it has never taken me more than an hour to get to the expo and most of the time the round-trip only takes about an hour.

-I have run each of the 3 Dopey Challenges. Requiring me to wake up 4 straight days on three separate occasions before 3 AM. I am not a morning person. Not even a little bit. The excitement of these races makes waking up pretty easy even for me.
-If you spend a lot of time at the finish line taking pictures, etc. it may be tough to make it back to a park right at opening, but it should be achievable; for the 5K and 10K during Marathon Weekend we have easily been able to make it back to our hotel, get cleaned up, and head back out to a park before opening.
-I have never had too much of a problem staying awake/excited throughout the rest of the day without a nap after a race. I can imagine that's different for different people, but the excitement tends to linger, particularly if it's your first rD race.

Good luck making a decision. Since you've heard about runDisney races you've probably heard about how quickly the registrations tend to fill up, so be sure to have a plan for registration if you decide to do the race.

Do it!

The 3 AM wake up isn't that bad, you only have to do on your race day. The expo pick up might be tight but you should be fine.

Also this is the unofficial rundisney board.
Thanks.. I reposted this from the regular rides and attractions forum and forgot to take that question out! I actually read your trip report.. seems like you had a great time!

You probably won't hear a lot of "don't do it's" on this board, so I hope you were looking to be talked into the race.

As to your concerns:

-I didn't look into the hours of the expo, but you should be able to make it if you have a couple hours. I have only done WDW Marathon Weekend, but it has never taken me more than an hour to get to the expo and most of the time the round-trip only takes about an hour.

-I have run each of the 3 Dopey Challenges. Requiring me to wake up 4 straight days on three separate occasions before 3 AM. I am not a morning person. Not even a little bit. The excitement of these races makes waking up pretty easy even for me.
-If you spend a lot of time at the finish line taking pictures, etc. it may be tough to make it back to a park right at opening, but it should be achievable; for the 5K and 10K during Marathon Weekend we have easily been able to make it back to our hotel, get cleaned up, and head back out to a park before opening.
-I have never had too much of a problem staying awake/excited throughout the rest of the day without a nap after a race. I can imagine that's different for different people, but the excitement tends to linger, particularly if it's your first rD race.

Good luck making a decision. Since you've heard about runDisney races you've probably heard about how quickly the registrations tend to fill up, so be sure to have a plan for registration if you decide to do the race.
Thanks! Yep usually after a race I feel MORE energized so I am hoping that's what happens.... but then again, I am not getting up at 3 to do them usually! :) If I do it, I am counting on the euphoria to get me through the day!

Also- what if my flight is delayed and I miss the expo all together??? Do they accommodate for that at all?

I expect you'll get a wide range of advice here.

One the one hand you'll have people telling you to do it. On the other hand you'll have people telling you to definitely do it.

:)

Also- what if my flight is delayed and I miss the expo all together??? Do they accommodate for that at all?
If your flight is late Disney doesn't advertise this but you can go to runner relations or whatever in the morning of the race to get your bib and run. To get your shirt you would have to go back to the expo that day though.

The only thing that would keep me from saying yes, definitely do it, is your mention of your arrival and getting to the expo. Somebody said you can get an emergency bib pick-up on race morning, but I would be so nervous about the flight being late and not making it there. But if you're comfortable with it, then go for it. I don't think you'll regret it. While my one runDisney experience to this point did not go as planned (shortened Wine and Dine last year), it was still a fun and memorable experience overall and I am itching to go back as soon as possible.

When we vacation at WDW I run every morning before going to the parks with my family, so if you are trained it is only the loss of sleep than need concern you. If you are well rested before you arrive, one early morning shouldn't bother you at all. If not, just make sure that you have planned on being tired that night because of the early wake-up - be prepared to go to bed as soon as you get back to your room from AK.

As for the Expo - can someone else pick up your bib for you?

Do it and have a great time. Since this will be the inaugural 10K it will sell out very fast. Make sure that you already have an Active account. You will need to be sitting at your computer 10 to 15 minutes before registration window opens up . This is the most stressful part, unless you go thru a travel provider that gets bibs.

Not anymore. You have to present photo ID to pick up bibs.
Thanks - that only makes sense if they allow "morning of" bib pick-up at the site of the race. No way I would pay that much for a bib if I wasn't sure that I could pick up. rD races are too expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter