I.D requirements at Walt Disney World

It may also depend on your age what they request for I.D. for alcohol purchases. While the policy may state they I.D. 40 and under or whatever, they likely more inclined to be skeptical or require more definitive proof the closer to 21 you appear to be.

So, a 35 year old Canadian buying a beer may be ok with just the Driver's Licence while the 21 year old may be asked to produce the passport. I'm sure it's at the discretion of the server, and if they are uncertain, the passport is the ultimate proof of I.D. In this situation, it is not only proof that you are the person on the I.D, but equally important, that you are of legal age to purchase alcohol.

In the situation I cited above, my DS and his DGF were denied alcohol purchase at California Adventure with just their DL. He was 23 and she was 21 at the time.

I've only been asked a couple times for ID and I always show my Ontario drivers license and have never had a problem.

In different situations the type of ID accepted can very. When a piece of photo id is required most places will take anything for example I usually use my Ontario health card for that. Other times one may be required for legal reasons like the purchase of alcohol, in this case it seems that Disney is instructing servers to ask for passports as form of ID possibly because the most frequently used piece of fake ID is a drivers license and not many people will get a fake passport made up just to get served in a bar or restaurant.

In different situations the type of ID accepted can very. When a piece of photo id is required most places will take anything for example I usually use my Ontario health card for that. Other times one may be required for legal reasons like the purchase of alcohol, in this case it seems that Disney is instructing servers to ask for passports as form of ID possibly because the most frequently used piece of fake ID is a drivers license and not many people will get a fake passport made up just to get served in a bar or restaurant.

It's ironic that you use the Ontario Health Card for ID in Florida because it's not recognized as a valid form of identification in Ontario.

Neil

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

It's ironic that you use the Ontario Health Card for ID in Florida because it's not recognized as a valid form of identification in Ontario.

Neil

IT's a valid as photo I.D just not for purchase of Alcohol. I haven't actually used it in florida as one, but I do use it as one at the Zoo with my membership

IT's a valid as photo I.D just not for purchase of Alcohol. I haven't actually used it in florida as one, but I do use it as one at the Zoo with my membership

It's not even valid as photo ID when dealing with the province of Ontario but can be used as validation of signature with the province.

It's not even valid as photo ID when dealing with the province of Ontario but can be used as validation of signature with the province.

Most places not contented with the government will accept it as a piece of photo ID, except for banks and where alcohol is served. In those cases I will usually use a passport and have no problem carrying it with me. I'm just extra careful where I have it and double check that I still have it.

Might just be our age (we are both 29 now), but when my bf and I stayed onsite at CSR 5 years ago, they wouldn't accept our drivers' licenses for buying alcohol, we HAD to use our passports...just our experience.

A couple of weeks ago, I left my photo ID at home (the Ontario Photo Id not the driver's license) and when I was at the LCBO, the cashier was asking for ID and he even said Health card would work!

FYI - I contact Disney and this is what they said regarding ID

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

It would be a passport, though we have expanded options to where a photo
ID such as a driver's license can be accepted as long as a non-photo
passport is presented as well.

It would be a passport, though we have expanded options to where a photo
ID such as a driver's license can be accepted as long as a non-photo
passport is presented as well.[/I]

What is a non-photo passport?

Last weekend we were over in Michigan and I threw my passport into the driver's side door after I went through custom's coming home. Well wouldn't you know it... I came out the next morning to find my car had been broken in to and my passport stolen. It expires next month, so I am not without a passport until my original one expires and I can start with a full new passport (if I applied with a lost/stolen status, I could not get the new 10-year passport and may only be able to get up to 2-years on the new passport).
Had to file police report, call equifax, service canada all to report that it was stolen. I won't be carrying a passport into the parks with me, the cost alone of replacing it, is $$$!

I am not close to 21, I am 35 and was asked for I.D. when buying a drink at dinner, and I paid cash. I even feel a little weary taking a photocopy of my passport into the parks.

What is a non-photo passport?

Last weekend we were over in Michigan and I threw my passport into the driver's side door after I went through custom's coming home. Well wouldn't you know it... I came out the next morning to find my car had been broken in to and my passport stolen. It expires next month, so I am not without a passport until my original one expires and I can start with a full new passport (if I applied with a lost/stolen status, I could not get the new 10-year passport and may only be able to get up to 2-years on the new passport).
Had to file police report, call equifax, service canada all to report that it was stolen. I won't be carrying a passport into the parks with me, the cost alone of replacing it, is $$$!

I am not close to 21, I am 35 and was asked for I.D. when buying a drink at dinner, and I paid cash. I even feel a little weary taking a photocopy of my passport into the parks.

I have no idea what a non-photo passport is. I don't want to carry my original passport with me while at the parks.

That sucks that your car was broken into.

The Ontario drivers licence has the same type of information as a passport (photo, signiture, address and date of birth). I don't see what other information they would need. Other provinces or countries may not contain the same type of information on their licences, therefore Disney asks for a passport.:confused3

Maybe it's because they have a more difficult time distinguishing between a real and a fake non-US ID?? And passports are harder to fake.....:scratchin

The Ontario drivers licence has the same type of information as a passport (photo, signiture, address and date of birth). I don't see what other information they would need. Other provinces or countries may not contain the same type of information on their licences, therefore Disney asks for a passport.:confused3

My guess is it's a mixture of not being able to tell if it's a forged licence or not easily, and the fact that passports have all the required info in standardized locations across many different nation's passports.

My question is, if I fly from Detroit to Orlando (thus going through customs at the border) why is my passport required on a domestic flight by TSA? Why isn't an Ontario Drivers Licence enough? If I had a Michigan licence they'd take that for a domestic flight no problem.

We got back from 10 days in Florida each and every time our BCDL was fine((when asked which was rare)). One of our friends is a bartender at WDW and we were both laughing about this article and how ridiculous it was.

My guess is it's a mixture of not being able to tell if it's a forged licence or not easily, and the fact that passports have all the required info in standardized locations across many different nation's passports. My question is, if I fly from Detroit to Orlando (thus going through customs at the border) why is my passport required on a domestic flight by TSA? Why isn't an Ontario Drivers Licence enough? If I had a Michigan licence they'd take that for a domestic flight no problem.

You don't need to use your passport as ID to fly domestically in the USA. Your Canadian drivers license is acceptable ID.

We're just finishing a wonderful vacation here at the world. My daughters, 30 & 25, and my friend's daughter, 25 were asked all the time for identification and used their Ontario drivers licenses with no problem. The only exception to this was when we ate at Via Napolli. There they all needed their passports. Kind of weird because it was the first night of food & wine and they were able to drink all over the world including the Italy booth with just their licenses. We were here 9 days and that was the only time.

No matter what someone tells you, do not carry your passport around. It's not like any other piece of id and getting it stolen while you're out of country is a huge deal (happened to me in Vegas).

I'm sitting in a wdw resort right now and we've been id'ed one time this whole trip and our Alberta DL's worked fine.

Just got back from WDW and was asked for id all the time (at resort check-in, and when using credit cards), didnt purchase alcohol). NL licence was fine except when we were checking in at AKL the front desk clerk asked for my passport, i said it was in my bag, which it was at the time, and he didnt press me to get it. He did say that they are never suppose to accept any out of country id except passport, to which i asked him if he knew what all 50 state licences looked like (to verify that they arnt fakes) and he dropped it.

I think its stupid to demand a passport for international travellers. You cant convince me that if i had a maine DL that someone at WDW could determine that its legit better than my actual NL DL. A DL is a DL

No matter what someone tells you, do not carry your passport around. It's not like any other piece of id and getting it stolen while you're out of country is a huge deal (happened to me in Vegas). I'm sitting in a wdw resort right now and we've been id'ed one time this whole trip and our Alberta DL's worked fine.

This. I'd never even consider carrying my passport around WDW, it stays locked in the safe. I'd no sooner hand over my SIN card to a cast member!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter