I don't understand why its such a big deal to take your children out of school..

My sister was reading this thread and she could not even believe what she was looking at! She first almost laughed to death at what posters were saying and second wanted to come through the computer and give those posters a good dose of reality. Again, we are from MA and it is probably different state to state.

I taught high school in Massachusetts for several years and I can't believe you think teachers conferences are time off....unbelievable...

Mass seems to be a diffeent world, but I know teachers in WI, IL,CA, and IN and they all consider teacher conferences as days off. The conferences are not mandatory and privide little substance, so most teaches don't attend them.

I don't think there's a problem with taking kids out of school to go to Disney. At my school, there is no problem. Everyone here knows that we always go to WDW, and we usually only get assigned essential homework when we get back. It's not like we leave for weeks on end--usually just three or four days out of school, and the rest over the weekend. So no, I don't think it's such a problem, at least not here.

WIcruizer said:
Mass seems to be a diffeent world, but I know teachers in WI, IL,CA, and IN and they all consider teacher conferences as days off. The conferences are not mandatory and privide little substance, so most teaches don't attend them.

But it is providing some form of substance. Here they are mandatory. Wouldn't one then say that the teachers who are not going to the conferences are not doing their jobs? Not learning how to better the students?

Wouldn't one then say that the teachers who are not going to the conferences are not doing their jobs? Not learning how to better the students?

No, I wouldn't say that if the contract gives them the option of attending. And I've been to enough seminars, conferences, etc. to know that 90% of them are a waste of time. Now with that said, that's different from continuing education which is required in most states. I do believe it is important for teachers to consistently refresh their knowledge, techniques, etc. Which, again, is similar to any profession.

WIcruizer said:
No, I wouldn't say that if the contract gives them the option of attending. And I've been to enough seminars, conferences, etc. to know that 90% of them are a waste of time. Now with that said, that's different from continuing education which is required in most states. I do believe it is important for teachers to consistently refresh their knowledge, techniques, etc. Which, again, is similar to any profession.

I work in the travel profession and if we have to go to a conference or workshop...we have to go. no choices, so that is not similar to any profession.

work in the travel profession and if we have to go to a conference or workshop...we have to go. no choices, so that is not similar to any profession.

You assume that if something is true for you, or true in MA, it's gospel for everyone else. Ask any professional, and they'll tell you there are countless seminars, conferences, and workshops that are optional. I know doctors, engineers, computer programmers, salespeople, accountants, etc. and they pass over countless conferences. No offense, really, but be careful to speak for yourself.

WIcruizer said:

I taught and my husband still teaches in Illinois--and I assure you that teacher conferences are indeed MANDATORY. (Why, I had to attend mine even when I had laryngitis--now that was challenging!) The idea that they "provide little substance" is such a sad statement--perhaps it reveals much more about the parent's perspective than the teacher's. I'm sorry you have had such negative experiences with the teachers in your life. Wonder why your wife is no longer a teacher...

WIcruizer said:
You assume that if something is true for you, or true in MA, it's gospel for everyone else. Ask any professional, and they'll tell you there are countless seminars, conferences, and workshops that are optional. I know doctors, engineers, computer programmers, salespeople, accountants, etc. and they pass over countless conferences. No offense, really, but be careful to speak for yourself.

I dont assume anything. You know what it means to assume, right? Good. I do not see how doctors can skip on workshops. Then again, that is why we have the best here in MA!! They know what is important.

skbasnett said:
I dont assume anything. You know what it means to assume, right? Good. I do not see how doctors can skip on workshops. Then again, that is why we have the best here in MA!! They know what is important.

I can't even believe it's necessary to explain this. If a doctor went to every conference available to them, they would be a full time student. That doesn't mean they don't attend ANY conferences. Big difference.

I'm sorry you have had such negative experiences with the teachers in your life. Wonder why your wife is no longer a teacher...

Who said I've had such negative experiences with teachers? In fact, I went out of my way to talk about how some of the teachers I've had from K-college were some of the most important people in my life.

My wife is no longer a teacher because she didn't want to be a member of the union. Very simply, she couldn't accept the fact that she was an excellent teacher and got paid less than terrible teachers. Her students, parents, and principal loved her, but she could no longer deal with union hacks that slept walk through the day.

As far as conferences go, in IL some are mandatory, some are not. Deoends on whicj conference and which school district we're talking about.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Actually it is not disgusting. What is disgusting is that the school will lose money on any of those accounts. THAT is the point!

It should be based on enrollment and NOT day to day attendance.

Be disgusted if you will--but that is how screwed up attendance policies are.

My brother having to pay for a doctor's note so that his absence can be excused--is disgusting!

What if that kid has recovered from their cancer and the family decides to take a family trip to celebrate? Or they had other stuff going on their life and the family time was need then, there, and now?

What a family does with their children and their time and their vacation is really nobody's business.

Be disgusted if you will. But it is the system--not me. And that is the problem with the policy.

Not once did I ever say I supported or not the idea of taking a child out of school for vacation.

My whole point is that the system is flawed--and as usual, those it is designed to help and protect, it does nothing for and those who are rather responsible--it somewhat punishes.

It is nobody's business.

I like the flexibility of travel--one of the many reasons that we are homeschooling for now. I don't have to clock classroom hours in Florida--and though I like making my trips educational...I don't have to worry about "manipulating" the system as someone put it earlier.

I homeschool because I have a child with medical issues and the school were just as rude about her absenses for and MRIs and EEGs and all of the other things that come with illness. She was 6 and after a year and a half of brining in DR notes for every single absence (no disney trips mind you) I pulled her out in second grade because the school felt it was more important for her to be there then to get treated. (donate to a Shriner Hospital in Springfiled MA BTW)

You are exactly right. Schools complain even with dr notes about absenses because it is less about the well being of the child and more about the $$$$. They asked for DD medical records (even with dr notes for every absense) because the school nurse wanted to determine that she needed to be out. They felt they would know better than the Cardiologist, Nuerologist, Orthopedist, Genetisist, Primary Care and the miriad of other highly qualified professionals that are looking after her.

I would be offened and upset had we not had a nedical issue but your are completely correct the system is geared to look for the $$$$. Not to look at the children or families.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
IThat would be the first actual INSULT! that I am being laughed at. . . It's rediculous
I think the laughing comment was in response to saying that teachers could get it all done at school if they just stayed a little later / came in a little earlier / used their time more in a more effective manner. You don't think that's an insult to teachers?

Again, I'm not going back to re-read.

WIcruizer said:
Yes and no. We are required to collect 15 credit hours (think 15 college hours/credits, not 15 clock hours) every five years to renew our teaching licenses. So while attending the Classroom Management conference in January is not a requirement, attending some conferences (or taking college classes) at some time during the five year time period IS a requirement. Our schools frequently offer workshops, etc. at school on teacher workdays, which is a convenient way to achieve this goal. Occasinally the local colleges offer things on regular school days, but most teachers don't attend these because it means missing a classroom day, which just isn't practical.

These things are usually done on teacher workdays, which are days off in the sense that students aren't in the classroom but are not non-paid days (like summer).

I personally would not do it.

Also, in our district, if you are taken our of school for vacation, you are retained.

MrsPete said:
I think the laughing comment was in response to saying that teachers could get it all done at school if they just stayed a little later / came in a little earlier / used their time more in a more effective manner. You don't think that's an insult to teachers?

Again, I'm not going back to re-read.

Whatever--don't go and reread. It was not intended as an insult--while yours was.

There is a difference between a personal attack/insult--and a suggestion. You don't want to go in an hour or two earlier than you are needed that day (which is what I was implying and explained further in a subsequent post)--that was fine...but the suggestion wasn't an insult. Just b/c you took it that way--doesn't mean that is what it was. And no I don't think it is insulting at all. Why in the world would it be???

If I complained about not being able to get my work done in a workday--I would not be insulted by someone saying--well go in earlier. I will restate--if I needed to come in at 5am...I did. The work was that detrimental to my job. And I liked not going in on the weekend. Heck--that's what my bosses would tell me to do if it was a large task needing to be done. The suggestion in and of itself is logical to make.

You are choosing not to re-read my posts (this is your 2nd time stating that) b/c you would rather interpert what you think I said versus reading what I actually said. I take much care in how I word my posts so as not to insult someone deliberately (exclusive of defending myself with a sarcastic rebuttal after I have been insulted). I have already reposted in the past couple of pages--but that probably wasn't worth your time reading.

I'm not going to bother with you anymore. You will probably quote the next to last sentence in the preceding paragraph and then show the deliberate insult...even though I had an exception included in parenthesis.

This whole thing is rediculous and you have made yourself out to be quite unprofessional in your conduct. And this is not intended as an insult, but self-admittedly a bit of a put-down. This is just an observation by how you have conducted yourself with me as to indicate I am not worthy of your time by reviewing comments I have made for accuracy before you post with what your interpretation was of them. Difficult to debate as an adult when my posts are not read correctly.

Good bye.

LoveBuzz2 said:
I wish I worked for their district. ; ) Yes, we do sleep, but rarely is it uninterrupted. Generally we get to bed at about 10ish...are up by midnight, and usually again at least one more time before dawn. Unfortunately for us, food is not "free of charge". We get a stipend for food of $2 if you are on volunteer status that day and not paid. ; ) Most of us just cook in house and bring stuff from home. Eat out usually once a shift. Holidays...don't let me even get into the heartbreak for my kids sometimes when Mommy just can't be there to attend Christmas Eve service with you and wait for Santa.... No discounts for gyms or rent either. I guess it all goes by your district... I need to move! haha :rotfl:

You're right. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with our county. It is not an overly active county as far as emergency personel needs goes--except on holidays--which I'm sure helps with sleep. Plus, they do sleep in shifts. It's not as though the whole FD is sleeping at the same time.

The free meals are the meals in the kitchen at the fire house, not anything eaten out. Which does happen quite a bit since they have to be driving through the county a certain amount of time. Many restruants (sit down and fast food) do offer FD and PD employees in uniform a 10-20% discount though.

And I should clarify that the gym memberships are not paid for by the county, but are something given by the gyms for FD and PD employees. Our local gyms do it because the national gyms (24 hour Fitness & Ballies) have national programs that give the free gym memberships. It is also something that the apartment complexes give FD and PD employees, but it was arranged by the FD and PD as a perk even though not subsidized by the county or FD or PD.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Whatever--don't go and reread..
Obviously you're more invested in the conversation than I am. This is a 25+ page thread, and I'm just not that interested.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
There is a difference between a personal attack/insult--and a suggestion
Here's the detail that you're missing: People do this to teachers all the time, and it IS meant as a put-down. People assume that they know what teachers do, and they feel free to tell them how to do it better. I'm sure this happens to other groups as well, but it is a constant thing for teachers. Usually I let it go, sometimes it gets to me. I'm sorry that you took it so personally.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
This whole thing is rediculous
I find a number of things here ridiculous. Sometimes I comment on them, sometimes I don't.

I find a number of things here ridiculous. Sometimes I comment on them, sometimes I don't.[/QUOTE]

I agree!

Unfortunately there are some that will continue to know everything on every item the post as you can tell by now- just do a serach and read their other ones.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
jojowentbyby--I am so sorry your daughter had to go through that. That is just horrible. How is she doing, now btw?

She is fine. She will be having chest surgery in FEB which is why we are going in December. This will be the first of a couple of big sugeries. When she is done with all of the surgeries she will be a teenager so this is our last trip for a while until she is recouperated. When I first told the school that she was going to eventually be needing surgeries their reply was "They better fit her in durring the summer". My reply was "She'll get them when they are needed not when it is convenient for the school".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter