I gave my 35 year old daughter a choice.

OK- flames probably heading my way but......
What is the fascination with Downtown Disney?
It's basically a mall (albeit a small, strip type mall). ????????

We often go at less busy times such as November and early May when the parks close much earlier. A nice boat ride to DTD for dinner and a stroll, an ice cream and some shopping or just people watching is a nice way to fill the evening. Plus I found the Boardwalk to be very boring after a short while.

When we first discovered DVC, I thought the obvious choice to buy into was either BCV or BWV, because of their proximity to Epcot and MGM. We bought BWV.

Funny how things change. Now that we've stayed at OKW and SSR I find that we like those resorts better than the hotel-style DVC resorts. OKW and SSR feel more like true resorts, and parking so close to our unit is a big plus. The isolation from the theme parks is actually a positive to us; it allows us to unwind and enjoy the resort itself.

We ended up adding on at SSR because we simply fell in love with it. Other factors played a part, too (extra years, developer points, etc.), but in the end SSR felt most comfortable. I do love all the DVC resorts, though, and have every intention of enjoying them all.

As far as DTD is concerned, I look at it as an extention of SSR. If we are staying at BCV, for example, we might stop Downtown for an hour at some point during the course of our trip. When we stay at SSR, however, it's easy to head Downtown to catch a movie, have dinner, or shop. I also love an early morning walk through DTD, coffee in hand, before the crowds descend.

OK- flames probably heading my way but......
What is the fascination with Downtown Disney?
It's basically a mall (albeit a small, strip type mall). ????????
My kids LOVE DQ- D and I love to walk over and catch a movie or have a drink. The PI clubs are a big draw for te twenty-something crowd also.

Three words.........

Earl
of
Sandwich

Yum! (okay, four words.):)

Oh! We just went for the first time last week and I finally got to try their peanut butter sandwich that has been talked about on the dining board. It was SO good! The best PB&J we ever had! Our airline delayed our flight to evening the next day so I insisted we go back for a second PB&J before heading to the airport! :yay:

This will be one of our 'must do' stops for now on!
DJ

nice...I really enjoy SSR myself, cant wait only a little over 2 months til I am there again

Is it the same soap as the resorts have or a different kind of Mickey Mouse soap? I've never been in the shop. My DH has the same problem with the stink as me so he's no help in shopping, either. We have more relatives coming in December so maybe I can talk one of them into going in the store for me for Mickey soap.

Sorry, missed this post! The soap is not what is in the resorts. It is a glycerin (sp?) type soap, that has Mickey heads (that sounds so wrong) in it. When we were there in June, there was a red soap, maybe a vanilla scent? That had white and black Mickeys in it. There was also a yellow soap, maybe almond scented? That one had red, white, and black Mickeys in it.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know, and I'll post a photo. They're really cute, and not really smelly. My kids can't handle heavily perfumed soaps, but they have no problems using these.

As a former member who used to gripe abut SSR then finally stayed there and then changed their mind I have to agree with your daughter.

SSR is a great place.

Sorry, missed this post! The soap is not what is in the resorts. It is a glycerin (sp?) type soap, that has Mickey heads (that sounds so wrong) in it. When we were there in June, there was a red soap, maybe a vanilla scent? That had white and black Mickeys in it. There was also a yellow soap, maybe almond scented? That one had red, white, and black Mickeys in it.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know, and I'll post a photo. They're really cute, and not really smelly. My kids can't handle heavily perfumed soaps, but they have no problems using these.
Picture, please. I THINK I know what you're talking about but I'm not sure. Sounds like they might make great gifts though so I'm interested!

Okay, a few days later than I met to post, but here they are! The yellow one is vanilla scented, and the red one smells like ginger ale.
I believe Basin carries these soaps all the time, they've always had them when I've been there.

8ff159dd.jpg

cb3a99ff.jpg

What's so great about DTD?

Well yeah, it's a 'strip mall' (though, totally not) but with Disney Magic!

As people have said, Earl of Sandwich is GREAT! I love it. I love getting ice cream at Haagan Daz and then sitting on the benches at night overlooking the water and SSR with a friend, talking for awhile and looking at the starts. Buliding Mr. Potato heads at Once Upon a Toy is always fun, and I do enjoy going to the Adventurer's Club. You can't find that place anywhere else on earth, it's pretty special. Kungaloosh!

Honestly, it's a nice break from the theme parks, but still has some Disney magic. And living in Orlando, sometimes it's nice to zip over to DTD for a meal without entering the parks, just to avoid the crowds and remind yourself that yes, you live that close to WDW and CAN do that whenever you want.

Funny, I just made reservations at SSR for friends who will be in WDW the same week as us. I initially chose SSR because as the biggest DVC I figured it would have more availability and more chances for availability to open up. They weren't picky with their resort choice as A. I didn't give them a choice just said I'll get you what I can and B. they've never been to WDW and C. they were planning on staying at ASM anyway. Well, yesterday I sent them some links to pictures of SSR I found on the "SSR Lovers/Owners" Thread and a slideshow I'd found. Then I joked to my DH that maybe I'll change our OKW reservation to SSR since it looked so great! Guess we'll keep our OKW 1BR but boy SSR looks GORGEOUS!

It's so nice to hear good things about any of the resorts!!! We agree with your dd, and hope she has a great time!

Okay, a few days later than I met to post, but here they are! The yellow one is vanilla scented, and the red one smells like ginger ale.
I believe Basin carries these soaps all the time, they've always had them when I've been there.

8ff159dd.jpg

cb3a99ff.jpg

Thank you for the pictures! Not sure how I'll get the soap due to the smell in the store, but now I want those! We'll next be there in December so I can stock up for our Mickey Mouse bathroom at home as well as for Christmas gifts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter