I have a WONDERful feeling about this! 2015 WB Panama Canal Trip Report, Completed 6/14/15

Erin. This report is amazing and I have enjoyed reading it. It sure brings back such amazing memories...can't wait for more...

Thanks, Wanda! You certainly helped to make our trip a little bit more magical. It seemed like every time we came back to the room there was another little something in our FE from your family. You guys must have spent so much time running all over the ship! Thank you so much!

Day Four Navigator

17516545464_72e0a51810_b.jpg

17516650554_4c5d264b70_b.jpg

17516647144_9722ba79db_b.jpg

18112748776_c33f0b8c97_b.jpg
17516638334_4fe5e52e90_b.jpg

Day Four (May 4, At Sea)

This morning we decided to have breakfast at Triton's. The kids ordered off the fun kid's menu, Peanut Butter & Jelly Typhoon for Oliver and Mickey's Special Combo Platter for Elliott.

17683799620_354847e19d.jpg

17250904823_9a6f485907.jpg

I ordered a Mango Mountain Hike and a cheese and onion omelet. Oh my, the Mango Mountain Hike was so delicious! We were not early risers on this trip, but I made it my mission to acquire one any morning when I was up early enough. The kids decided my omelet was better than what they'd ordered and I ended up sharing it with them. That happens a lot.

This morning the limited edition Panama Canal crossing pins were going on sale. All three of us collect pins, so I wanted to be sure to get them. I was worried, because I'd heard that there was a limit of two per cabin. I really wanted one, but of course if it came down to it I would get them for the kids. Every time we are anywhere Disney-related we buy a pin to remind us of it. Our lanyards are like diaries. The kids also keep a bunch of random pins for trading.

I dropped the kids off at the Lab and then I went down to the pin line, outside the Walt Disney Theater. It was fairly long, but not too crazy, just wrapping once around the room. Two people in line behind me were talking about the pins, and I realized that the woman was only planning to buy one pin, so I threw myself on her mercy to find out if she would be willing to let me buy one on her room allotment. She was so nice and even held my place in line while I ran up to my room (which was just at the top of the nearby staircase) to get cash.

When I got back we were talking about the pins and I almost started crying (ok, maybe I did start crying a little bit), because it was very kind of her. The other people she'd been talking to also offered. Faith in humanity restored a bit!

Well, when I got to the front of the line it turned out you were allowed to buy two per person in your cabin, so I was allowed to buy my three with no problem. Still, it was very nice to know that a total stranger had been willing to help me out. Sometimes small things can mean a lot to someone else. It's always good to remember that.

I love the pins so much!

17680701308_9884191a61.jpg

I dropped the pins off in our room I grabbed the boys so that we could go to a Star Wars trivia event that had been organized by someone in our group. This is the one place where I really felt DCL had a failure. May 4 is “Star Wars Day” (“May the Fourth be with you”) and they could have done some really fun things pretty simply. They had fourteen days to fill with activities! Star Wars movie marathon (I saw that they had this on the Transatlantic that is just finishing up), Star Wars trivia, maybe a couple of Star Wars-themed activities in the kid club. That's all it would have taken.

Anyway, thank goodness for our group. They picked up the slack! Wearing our Star Wars shirts (mine is Princess Leia as the tightrope walker from the Haunted Mansion stretching portrait) we headed off to … well, we weren't sure where. The trivia had been listed as “TBA” on the schedule. We went to Diversions, where we found some people waiting, but no trivia. We decided to go check the Promenade Lounge, because it seemed to be the other likely spot. Bingo! I decided to leave the kids there under strict instructions to behave, so that I could run back and let everyone else know.

When we got back both children were still in one piece and trivia was ready to start. The kids had some frustration, but it was still a lot of fun. Team Bantha Fodder had a fair showing and we got some time hanging out with new friends.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I'd made the mistake of looking at all the photos the group had posted, hoping to memorize some names, but instead creating a horrible muddle in my memory. Here is where that showed itself to be a real issue. I was chatting with the super nice people at the table next to us. We had a lot in common, and even discovered friends-of-friends in common. Then I was happy to learn they were from San Diego, and I asked their names. They looked at me like I had two heads.

Of course, this was Lori and her family – who I had become friends with on social media before the cruise. I couldn't even get this name right! I warned the group that I am the absolute worst with names/faces before we left, and I think this proved it. There may be something wrong with me! Please don't judge me too harshly, guys: you are great, I am an idiot!

After Star Wars trivia Elliott wanted to go to the Lab, but Ollie said he wanted to stay with me (so that I wouldn't be lonely). He wanted to go back to the room to watch a movie, but we were sidetracked by Sofia the First and Mickey Mouse in the hallway. I couldn't get my camera out fast enough to get a shot with both of them in it, but Sofia posed with Ollie for me.

17680973400_59ff5b0216.jpg

We went to the room and Oliver watched Tangled while I read. After the movie was over we got Elliott and went down to Parrot Cay for lunch. Elliott ate so much shrimp that I started to worry that he was going to get sick later, but he was fine. I wanted to go to Disney trivia at 1, but the kids weren't interested, so we stopped by the Lab to drop them off on the way down.

I went to sit by myself at trivia and started chatting with a group of people from our meet-up. They were all very nice and I even got myself a trivia partner since their group was so large. She apologized for not being a major Disney aficionado, but that was ok – I am and we won! She was so nice and gave me her “medal” so that each of the boys could have one.

17868504875_e88bd65bfe.jpg

When trivia was over it was almost time for another group event: a Star Wars/Avengers gift exchange and ice cream social. A limited number of children had signed up for this and each was to bring a themed gift for the other children, along with an ice cream topping. This was so much fun! People got very creative with their gifts and the kids all had a blast. On the way there I noticed a table where they were making fresh pina coladas, served in the pineapple. Yum! They insisted on giving me all that they made, so I had a full pineapple plus an extra cup (which I promptly gave to one of the other moms). They gave each of the boys a plate of the pineapple, which was a nice touch. I was balancing so much stuff that I wasn't able to take any pictures of pineapple or ice cream social, but it was all great.

After the ice cream social a bunch of the kids were going in the Mickey pool and asked the boys if they wanted to go. I told them that they could go in for a while, and Elliott ran off to get their bathing suits and sunscreen. Since he forgot to bring the sunscreen I told them they could only stay in for half an hour.

The other parents were chatting at a table and asked if I wanted to join them. Oh, I really did, but so many bad things have happened in our lives in the last several years that we've all developed a fear of the next one. Every time the phone rings at home I wait for the caller ID with a nervous stomach. So, even though there are very good lifeguards monitoring things, I can't let my kids go into even the Mickey pool without standing right on the side watching them. The anxiety would be too much for me and I wouldn't be able to relax enough to have fun. The kids had a ton of fun playing with their new friends.

17865559372_41a78671cc.jpg

Soon enough it was time to get out of the sun, and it was just as well because it was formal night. It took a bit longer than normal, because instead of just throwing on a sundress and running a brush through my hair, tonight I needed to do my hair and put on makeup. Doing your own hair and relying on small boys to tell you how it looks is a risky game. They always say that it looks fine. So, I got in the habit of taking a picture of my hair in the mirror using my cell phone on the occasions when an up-do was in order. They are practically the only pictures of me on the trip, so when I did one I am going to post it!

17248658193_e8cacbf2bc.jpg

It isn't a perfect system, but it's better than trusting Oliver's judgment. Once we all looked dapper we headed down to the Captain's Welcome Reception in the atrium.

17683498058_f177e6bbce.jpg

There was quite a bit of motion that day (lovely rolling, nothing uncomfortable), which made for an interesting night when they gave out free cocktails to women wearing heels for formal night. The boys enjoyed some mocktails as we got into line for formal night portraits. We don't do the lines usually, but I did want one nice picture of us.

Elliott had gone to sit on the floor where he'd be able to rejoin us at the front of the line and I was staring off into space daydreaming when there was a huge crash and suddenly my feet were cold and wet. Ollie had dropped his glass, which luckily was down to ice and didn't break. Oh, that scared the bajeezus out of me. Out of nowhere a cleaning crew descended upon us and in seconds it was as if nothing had happened. It was crazy.

We'd been in line for maybe fifteen minutes when we got to what I thought was the front, just in time because dinner was about to start. However, as soon as we turned the corner we realized the line wrapped around again and it would easily be another twenty minutes, if not more, before we got to the front. I was so sad when I had to round up the kids and abandon the line. They didn't care a bit, but I was very disappointed. I knew that there was little point in trying to get back in line later as the kids would neither tolerate it well nor would they still be neat and tidy.

17248735384_0ac00bd902.jpg

Dinner tonight was the Golden Mickeys menu. Elliott ordered a kid's steak and Oliver ordered the burger. I ordered the corn soup off the kid's menu (it wasn't as good as I remembered it being), the prosciutto and honeydew appetizer, and the Yachtsman Steakhouse Grilled NY Strip steak. All very tasty!

17683732050_ffc0bba216.jpg

I don't remember what the kids had for dessert, but I ordered the no sugar added crème brulee, which was delicious.

17684984319_3520e9d2b3.jpg

Oliver had a tooth that was quite loose and he was determined that it was going to come out during the trip. He was telling everyone about it and making them look at how well it wiggled. He was ready to try some new tactics, so after dinner we went to the sundries section of the shops for a new roll of dental floss.

17871810381_73b73c9c06.jpg

Some brilliant members of our cruise group had decided that we should all get together to have a “family portrait” taken while we were dressed up, so we went to the atrium to wait for that. What a production that was! 60-70 people can't comfortably wait in line together, so most of us stood off to the side until it was our turn. The photo staff looked shocked when everyone moved into place. But they had fun with it, one of the even jumping into frame for one shot. The end result was great. Quite a few people were missing (there were over 200 people in our group), but we were well-represented.

17257358964_5a76a1d4b1.jpg

After the photo was finished it was time for the Golden Mickeys. This time I chose our seats – on the aisle! We still had a great view and the show was a lot of fun. The kids were small enough the last time we cruised on Disney that they don't remember the shows at all, so everything was essentially new to them. When the show ended the kids were ready for bed, so they toted their handfuls of gold confetti back to the room with them.

Between the movement of the ship, which I truly loved, and my comfy bed, I slept very deeply that night. For this insomniac, that was an unexpected gift!

Erin, I am all caught up. It is so nice to read about what other people from our group were doing while I was getting myself sunburned. I actually completely forgot about the Star Wars events that were going on, even though I probably wouldn't have dragged myself away anyway.

I love that 'family' photo :)

Erin, I am all caught up. It is so nice to read about what other people from our group were doing while I was getting myself sunburned. I actually completely forgot about the Star Wars events that were going on, even though I probably wouldn't have dragged myself away anyway.

I love that 'family' photo :)

I love reading the parallel stories! It is so much fun to see what different groups ended up doing on the same schedule. By some miracle none of us got sunburned. Mostly I think that is just because we weren't out in the sun THAT much!

Thanks... it was such a relief to see it. I had been seriously disappointed the night before!

Day Five (May 5, At Sea)

We woke up very refreshed and to a ship that was having some pretty serious movement. When you were sitting still it really felt like you were on a ride – slowly up, then slowly back down. It was actually really funny, because the entire time it lasted people just seemed more mellow, like we were all being rocked like babies. Lots of drowsy, lazy people for a couple of days.

This morning we were definitely in that zone and we slept til 8 and then decided to watch Cars on TV before heading out to a late breakfast in the buffet. Apparently lots of people did the same, because it was packed in there. We ran into our assistant server from dinner, Joseph, there, and as usual he was so nice. I really liked him!

At some point we got an announcement that we were avoiding a weather system with swells of 9-12 feet. The ship can, of course, withstand that, but if we didn't have to the captain didn't want to. We had deviated from our plotted course, but it wasn't going to affect our itinerary at all.

After breakfast the kids wanted to go to the Oceaneer Lab, so I dropped them off and then went to check out our photos. We don't take enough of the with the official photographers to make a package worthwhile, but I will still buy a few of them if there are any worth buying! Shock of shocks, I actually fell in love with a picture that had been taken by the roving dining room photographer the night before. I got my formal night family photo after all! It is now framed and hanging on my wall.

17883219510_437f0ff822.jpg

Today there weren't too many activities I wanted to do, so after putting away our photo binder I decided to take the opportunity to just go sit around and read. I grabbed my Kindle from the room and went up to the Cove Cafe where I got an iced chai latte and settled into one of the cozy chairs by a window.

17250793983_7ce525a8e2.jpg

I was actually really glad there were occasional days when I didn't feel like I needed to be rushing around from activity to activity. They were perfect little breaks, particularly since the kids were so happy to spend their time with new friends in the clubs.

Soon enough it was time for lunch so I went to the Lab to pick up the boys. They were desperate to stop at the store, so we made a quick detour. Both kids bought stuffed Stitches and I picked up a Christmas tree ornament, which I love!

18084020418_140f3cc522.jpg

We went up to the buffet for a very light lunch, where Elliott told me about the formation of “The Stitch Club” with his new friends Lucas, Caden, and Luke. Eventually the Stitch Club would also include Oliver, Jonathan, Carmen, and Ava. They were very serious about this and it added a lot of fun to their trip. Elliott is working on a Stitch Club mod for Minecraft. Don't really know what that means, but there you go.

After lunch I wanted to go to Disney Tunes trivia and I made the boys come along for this one. We joined up with Christa and Ryan, the couple whose surprise I almost spoiled on day negative one. I had started running into them everywhere on the ship and we became friends. They are great, and I am so excited that we are coincidentally going to be cruising with the again! I'm pretty sure we lost at trivia, but we did quite well. I know all the songs, but occasionally they trip me up with the bonus questions. I am pretty sure we had one wrong this time, and another team got all of them. It was still a lot of fun!

Oliver and I were planning to head to the atrium for the Character Dance Party, but Elliott had exactly zero interest in this so he went back to the Lab, Stitch in tow. The party was very cute and gave the kids a great chance to get close to Mickey & Friends in a different type of setting. It wasn't about posing and autographs, just having fun. There are set spots in the room and each character rotates throughout, with one location being on the “stage” where they do their special dance. Very cute.

17871216645_54de8c309d.jpg

17868951451_a15b994f2e.jpg

17248010643_b3589d8316.jpg

17871716091_76907a2d79.jpg

Oliver had a blast dancing, but it really tired him out. He wanted to go back to the room to watch movies, and since I'd just been planning to do some more reading I decided I could do that lounging in bed as well as anywhere else.

That night our dinner was in Animator's Palate and was the rotational menu. Elliott asked Beata if he could get the mini burger, even though it wasn't on the menu. She told him she could order him one from room service. I felt so bad, because I also suggested that he order the tuna steak. He thought that did not sound like what he wanted, because he was thinking of canned tuna rather than the sushi type. So even though he agreed to get the fish, Beata still ordered him up a room service burger, which meant she had to go pick it up. Of course he loved the tuna. Luckily, he still ate half of the burger.

17865478692_ffb1fb3a33.jpg

Oliver ordered the kid's pasta, but as soon as he tried a bite of Elliott's tuna he decided he wanted one, too.

17871193655_defdc81617.jpg

I ordered the Baked Potato and Cheddar Cheese Soup and the Ginger-Teriyaki Dusted Angus Beef Tenderloin, both of which were very good. Beata also brought out an order of the Black Truffle Pasta Pursiettes. I knew that they were a very popular menu item, but I really don't like mushrooms so I'd never ordered them. I decided to give them a try, and was glad I did, because I was easily able to push aside the pieces of truffle that were on top. They were so good! The kids loved them, too. Next time I will definitely have each of the get their own order.

Even after all that food Elliott ordered the white chocolate cheesecake for dessert. I couldn't believe it!

17684910259_1bcb7469b1.jpg

And Ollie ordered the cookies & cream sundae off the regular dessert menu!

17868389475_ff998968ef.jpg

I decided to try tonight's Sweet Temptations: white chocolate, fudge cheesecake; lemon-raspberry tart; and chilled mango mousse (no sugar added). My favorite, as usual, was the no sugar option! Next time I will just get the mousse!

17844831506_aca333445a.jpg

Elliott wanted to go back to the Lab for the cookie-baking activity, and Ollie was tired so we just went back to hang out in the room.

17865437842_1d3820c08b.jpg

When Elliott's activity was done I went to pick him up and then we decided to call it a night. Tomorrow was a big day and we needed to get a good night's sleep!

Last edited:
I need to get cracking as you have now got ahead of me with your report - and I was doing so well lol

ERIN - you are an amazing mom!!!! So fun hearing the boys FaceTime . Love your story , courage and strength.

I need to get cracking as you have now got ahead of me with your report - and I was doing so well lol

We are having a lazy Saturday at home, so I'm getting as much as I can written out. With the school year wrapping up here, the next couple of weeks are going to be really busy and I don't know how much time I'll have to write.

ERIN - you are an amazing mom!!!! So fun hearing the boys FaceTime . Love your story , courage and strength.

Thanks, Connie! I think it's so great that the boys can keep in touch!

Day Six, Part One (May 6, Cartagena, Colombia)

For our Cartagena day we had joined up with another family for a private street food tour through Cartagena Connections, so we met up with Corey, Amber, and Callie at Triton's for breakfast at 8. Elliott did not want to get off the ship, which was no surprise, but I really did not want to leave him behind since we were not on an “official” excursion and they would leave us behind if something went wrong. I have no idea what they would actually do in a situation where a child is alone on the ship, but I didn't want to find out. So, Elliott was forced to come along.

Since we were going on an eating-based excursion, we all had relatively light breakfasts before heading off the ship. Our excursion was set to meet in the Old Town at 10, so we had some time to explore first.

This was an interesting port. They don't have a dedicated cruise ship terminal, so we docked among the cargo ships. After you walked up the pier there was a visitor's center, which was actually really cool. There was a ridiculously overpriced shop (I'm assuming to capitalize on people who are too afraid to go into Cartagena but would still like to pick up a souvenir) which had a little bar and a place to pick up something to eat. There was also a whole zoo-like area with free-roaming animals! The kids were distracted by peacocks and geese and flamingos, but we wanted to get into the city so we passed through pretty quickly.

17868869671_74da8186ea.jpg

17871665671_d9846142d5.jpg

17871150085_73e26d8519.jpg

When we got out of the visitor's center we found a taxi stand and it was suddenly a bit chaotic. We had been told that we should expect to spend $10 on the cab out (and $5 back), but they were wanting more than that. I think they wanted $30 for a van to take all of us. Finally they told us $10 per family and added another couple at $10, so they came out with their $30.

We were dropped off right in front of the gate of the Old Town after a quick and crazy drive through Cartagena. It passed in a blur, so I didn't really have much of an impression of the city so far! Once we got out of the cab, I was able to really take a good look around. It was crazy hot. Like, seriously, so hot. And humid. I instantly felt like I wanted a shower and a nap.

17871617461_532478fbac.jpg

Wow! This is a really beautiful city. It was about the cleanest place I have ever been. We rarely ever saw any trash on the floor (other than in places where there were lots of tourists), and there weren't even leaves under the trees. It looked like people must constantly be sweeping... that level of clean. There were cans and bags regularly so that you could dispose of your garbage. I got the feeling that the people here really take pride in their city. It was lovely.

We wandered around the walled city for a while. It was interesting. There were lots of peddlers trying to sell you things – hats, sunglasses, jewelry, handmade souvenirs. Luckily, even though they seemed really pushy we found that a firm “no gracias” was enough to send the on their way. I did buy two fish-shaped musical instruments for the boys (and I bargained...so proud!), which I promptly stashed in my bag so I wasn't pegged as an easy mark. Elliott started to get really stressed out between the heat/humidity and the people constantly coming over to try to sell us things. We made an agreement that we would do at least an hour of our three-hour tour and see how it was going. We could always get a cab back to the ship early.

17868857231_baf7f0da36.jpg

17871647501_41fbac0640.jpg

17682077819_7028e4e6d9.jpg

17871641751_1a81bb30c2.jpg

17250692003_d08d4fcc89.jpg

After popping into a shop to get a bottle of water and the visitor's welcome center to get some maps, we decided that we would go over to the Clock Pub, where we were to meet our guide and one more family that had decided to take the tour. At least there was some shade over there!

17683288288_0877ec4510.jpg

Soon we were joined by Shelby and Kyle, and their teenagers Lynzee and Seth, and shortly thereafter our guide, Juan Sebastian, arrived. He was great, a young university student who was studying socioeconomics. He loved his country and knew a lot of history and interesting facts, so he was a perfect guide. We instantly left the walled city and headed into the “real” Cartagena.

We walked through a large square. There were beautiful statues and fountains and things everywhere. This is a city filled with art.

17868337845_4ee81a2c1b.jpg

17871600931_9d23f772fd.jpg

On the other side we headed into the narrow streets of the city. You would swear no one should be able to drive through there, but somehow they did. It was absolutely crazy watching some of the maneuvering! There would be a car parked and still another car would manage to get through. We kept the kids plastered against the walls as much as possible, because it was easy to imagine them getting hit or clipped by a side mirror or something.

Juan Sebastian started the tour walking through the streets of the Getsemani neighborhood (which apparently just a few years ago was considered dangerous – you'd never have guessed) and looking at the beautiful colonial architecture and graffiti art. He told us that historically the colors of the buildings indicated the profession of the person living within. We learned that there had been a large migration from the Middle East in the late 19th century and then again post World War I. The cultural influence was huge, particularly in the food we were going to be eating. It was very cool to know this, because it made a lot of sense when you tasted the spices and things that were used in traditional cooking.

This area was also incredibly clean, though we did notice poop on the ground two or three times, and I a pretty sure it was human. That was a bit weird, considering how immaculate everything else was. The people we passed were friendly and helpful, occasionally pointing us in the direction of the rest of our group when we started to lag behind.

17841978666_bf5f9d0ae4.jpg

This sign says something along the lines of: On November 11, 1811 we fought for the independence of Cartagena from the Spanish yoke. Getsemani continues this legacy and we are not being reconquered by the Spanish, but by taxes.

17250650443_31eac748ef.jpg

17683247058_4bdd2a1a18.jpg

17841966766_6c2e1eb4ab.jpg

Juan Sebastian told us that this was a map that showed who lived in each home.

17868120582_ea92de060d.jpg

17683228988_8790e5969f.jpg

17245745544_28f83215f1.jpg

We had been going for almost a full hour and still hadn't stopped to eat and the children were starting to get restless. Luckily, Juan Sebastian declared that we were stopping for paletas – popsicles. We had our choice of avocado or tamarind, neither of which appealed to me. The boys decided to share a tamarind one. Ollie didn't really like it, but he still wanted an occasional lick just because it was icy cold and the day was so hot. Elliott had most of it and seemed to really enjoy it. I did ask for a stop to pick up some bottled water, so we made a very quick detour for that. We felt much better afterward.

Our next stop was at a shop that made fresh juice drinks and also had a coffee seller. I had told Juan Sebastian that I wanted to pick up some Colombian coffee (because I refused to pay the gift shop prices at the port) and so he let me know this was the best place. I picked up two small and one large bag for a total of $20. A MUCH better deal! Plus, we were inside, out of the sun, sitting at tables under ceiling fans.

We decided to try a variety of juices, including one that was new to us. We ordered passionfruit with water, which turned out to basically be a slushy made with passionfruit juice. So refreshing and just what we needed. I also ordered fresas y leche – strawberries and milk. Oliver sucked down almost the entire thing in short order. Poor Elliott! I also asked Juan Sebastian for his recommendation and he told us his favorite is nispero with water. This was interesting. It is hard to figure out how to describe it! Maybe banana-y? I don't know. It tasted like nispero, I guess. Elliott liked that one.

17247841033_974c7f707e.jpg

17681990339_0a4aea0e67.jpg

17868758041_9931607b47.jpg

Both of the kids were reaching the end of their limit of walking in the heat. I knew that we were going over to the San Diego area next, which was a busier neighborhood. At some point when we were over there we could get a cab to head back to the ship.

Day Six, Part Two (May 6, Cartagena, Colombia)

San Diego was definitely a different sort of place! Getsemani was quiet and secluded, while San Diego was bustling and filled with noise and traffic. Now we started to see lots of street food vendors, bigger businesses, and the kids really had to be holding your hand because of all the cars on the busy roads.

Our first stop in San Diego was a fruit cart where we were to try granadilla. You poked a hole in it and peeled it back like an orange, and it was filled with seeds, similar to a pomegranate. Juan Sebastian told us that you took a bite, sucked the juice/fruit off the seeds, and then swallowed them whole. This was a new and weird experience for everyone, but luckily my kids are pretty adventurous and they tried it with no problems.

17868250925_e9befed2f3.jpg

17868746941_3dccba4f1b.jpg

17841878366_634d7c0b0c.jpg

After this we went down another pretty street to get through to another busy area right on the outside near the fortress walls.

17680395278_22a1e29ca6.jpg

Finally we were getting one of the things I had really hoped to try: empanadas! And just in time, because this was clearly the place to get a cab and so we were going to be leaving soon. We watched as the empanadas were freshly prepared in a big vat of hot oil. There were two choices: small ones that were a corn-based pastry filled with ground beef, potatoes, onions, and spices, and large ones that also had a fried egg inside. The boys and I each got one of the non-egg ones, and happily munched away. There was also a selection of hot sauces, but I decided that I didn't feel like trying to deal with anything that could be too messy.

17868076292_f84d10432f.jpg

17680668290_c5822cd401.jpg

17680658440_2468f34c23.jpg

17683469660_cd82a6a6ba.jpg

Next the group was going into a shop to try out chicharrones (deep fried pig skin), served with yucca to balance the greasiness, and I thought this would be a good place to split up. We went in with the group and sat down, let the kids try some (they weren't sure what they thought).

17247761273_0fb1b817af.jpg

17683463160_395f7c49ae.jpg

Then we settled our bill with Juan Sebastian. He gave us the equivalent of $5US in Colombian pesos after negotiating with the driver and providing instructions on where to take us. This was really great, not having to worry about any of that ourselves. Then we said adios and hopped in the cab to head back to the ship! We were all feeling hot and tired, so this was good timing.

17844657996_2f5462c5d8.jpg

All in all, I really loved Cartagena, despite the heat, and I would love to go back someday. Even Elliott decided he had liked it once we left the Old Town.

Back at the port we took our time wandering through the tourist area. We bought some outrageously overpriced candy and I looked for a Christmas tree ornament. The only ones I saw were like $18 for a tiny gourd with a plastic nativity scene. Nothing that really said “Colombia” to me. So, I bought a keychain featuring the Colombian sombrero and bag, which I can easily convert into an ornament with a bit of ribbon. That was only $3, so I felt better about that as well.

The kids probably spent at least an hour looking at the animals this time. In fact, I think the rest of our tour group got back while we were still out there, if I am remembering correctly. They found a parrot that liked to dance with them and another one that would repeat back whatever you said. Sometimes it took him a minute to get it, but he was very good.

17247644653_c82332c6f9.jpg

The dancing parrot

17684713889_7eb59ef7b1.jpg

The talking parrot

17683430390_852c72b71f.jpg

17684668719_6dac67bec1.jpg

17683597800_f59a27211a.jpg

I finally tore them away so that we could get back on the ship.

17684645209_71cea32652.jpg

17868550141_6ebce67789.jpg

17868545021_2417fde66f.jpg

As usual they were working on the outside of the ship, keeping her beautiful!

17245505204_b48d81b981.jpg

Back aboard we all showered and changed and Elliott decided that he wanted to go straight to the Lab. Ollie was hungry, so we went to get a snack at the buffet, followed by an ice cream cone.

17844563576_42b29b4ab7.jpg

After that Ollie was ready for the Lab, too, and I went down to Ultimate Disney Trivia in Diversions. The room was pretty full, so I asked Kari, a woman from our group, if I could sit with her. We were joined by Joe and Andrea, the couple whose paper I had graded during the pub crawl. I had a lot of fun playing trivia with these guys throughout the rest of the cruise! And we won!

I was pretty tired, so I went back down to the room to read for a little while, followed by a short nap.

That night was the Prince & Princess menu, and we were in Parrot Cay. Elliott ordered spaghetti and Oliver mac & cheese, off the kid's menu.

17250437963_4a5dbdb369.jpg

They each also started with the shrimp jambalaya off the adult menu. They really liked it, and it looks like I'm going to have to make empanadas and jambalaya one night soon, for an eclectic dinner.

17867931462_527297603c.jpg

I ordered the Coronation of Mixed Leaves salad and the steak, and I decided to try a “Glass Slipper” - a cocktail made with Moet Ice and berries. It was very good.

17868030675_7890f28ccd.jpg

17871381271_e0c599eb96.jpg

17683032328_23bcb58bbf.jpg

As usual Elliott decided he wanted to go to the Lab, so we sent him off and Ollie and I went to that night's show – a performance by Chuck Wagner. On every Panama Canal cruise Disney brings on someone from Disney on Broadway, and I had really been looking forward to finding out who it would be on our trip. As soon as he came out on stage I recognized the very nice man who had spent some time talking with the boys one day. Well, the show was wonderful. Chuck Wagner was the original Rapunzel's Prince in Into the Woods, a favorite in our household. We know him well from the PBS broadcast. He's also appeared in many of my other favorite shows. He channeled his character from Jeckyll & Hyde to perform my favorite song from Into the Woods, “Agony,” performing the roles of both princes. Ollie and I had a very nice time, and were even joined for part of the show by Carmen, one of our new friends.

17245477384_6f84c1ea9e.jpg

After the show we ran into Chip and Dale on our way to get Elliott from the club. Ollie had a nice time dancing with them.

17844496856_5d223a2fb9.jpg

It had been quite a long day and we knew that tomorrow was going to be even longer, so we decided to call it a night early.

I've taken 6 Disney cruises and Chuck Wagner was my favorite variety entertainer BY FAR! I had no idea he was the guy from my Into the Woods CD until he showed that picture of the cast with Bernadette Peters. Agony is my favorite too! It sounds like you really enjoyed him as well. Fabulous trip report so far, looking forward to reading more!

I've taken 6 Disney cruises and Chuck Wagner was my favorite variety entertainer BY FAR! I had no idea he was the guy from my Into the Woods CD until he showed that picture of the cast with Bernadette Peters. Agony is my favorite too! It sounds like you really enjoyed him as well. Fabulous trip report so far, looking forward to reading more!

My sister is an actress and when we got home I told her, "So, the Broadway person was Chuck Wagner..." And she instantly said, "RAPUNZEL'S PRINCE CHUCK WAGNER?!" I so wish she could have been there for that. Growing up we had recorded Into the Woods from PBS and she watched it all the time; it's probably one of the major reasons she went into theater. She also would have been a big help at Broadway trivia as she knows the more obscure stuff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter