I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
from what I've read the people were making fake FF accounts to get codes sent to their address in different names things like that to get the referral codes. and they were opening an account every 60 days citi just didn't have anything in place to block
one mile at a time posted about it.
OMAAT (Ben "Lucky" Schlappig) admitted he doesn't know all the facts, and is going based off his (mis)understanding of the situation. If he doesn't know what's going on, he should have kept his mouth shut instead of taking a side and coming off like a mouthpiece for the airline. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for the shutdowns other than multiple AA SUBs. Maybe AA has figured out some perimeters by now, maybe not. While some people were indeed signing up their pets and potted plants for AA accounts to generate targeted mailers, others were just using mailers with no nontransferability or timing restriction language from actual family and friends who didn't plan to use them, and others were only signing up for publicly available offers.

While I generally like OMAAT, the whole piece is incredulous coming from Lucky. This is a guy who cut his teeth in the miles game exploiting United to the point his MileagePlus account was permanently suspended.

Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free - Rolling Stone
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one @Lain - I also would remind everybody that we have some people who may be significantly affected by this in our midst. I hope all of our friends can make it out if this unscathed.
Oh my! I started with the Giant Eagle since I have a frame of reference and best part was the anniversary trip to the new Market District location :laughing: What killed me though was the Dad Flips out in Traffic! I lost it at the tunnel :rotfl:Thats us every trip!
Glad it brightened your day a bit 😊
Actually churners created the mess. Citi just allowed it.
I didn’t necessarily suggest anything different than that. I honestly don’t really look to affix “blame” here. I just wonder if AA will hold Citi responsible for not having the proper systems in place. I would if I were AA...

I didn’t necessarily suggest anything different than that. I honestly don’t really look to affix “blame” here. I just wonder if AA will hold Citi responsible for not having the proper systems in place. I would if I were AA...
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this but if I were AA, I'd be ticked at citi. I'm sure they expected them to enforce some T&C's

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this but if I were AA, I'd be ticked at citi. I'm sure they expected them to enforce some T&C's
Yeah - Chase didn’t seem to have any issue working with SW on the one SW rule... (Although I guess we aren’t sure that came from SW or Chase). At any rate, the whole AA issue is definitely a polarizing topic right now among people and I certainly don’t want to create drama here over it. We just need to stick together and hope our friends come out of it without damage.

I would want a second avenue to use the miles. I’m know zilch about VS, can you use them for domestic/normal flights you’d take if you couldn’t do the 2 weeks?

I don't know that much about them either, but it looks like they and most of their partners operate more long-haul flights out of my local airport. I fly Southwest domestically 99% of the time these days anyway. Other worthwhile redemptions I could possibly make would be to the UK or Hawaii which I could maybe do with just one week of vacation time. ANA First class to Tokyo seems to be a really great redemption though, and a bucket list item for me.

If we weren't in the craziest time of year for both me and DH, and if we weren't going on vacation in a month, I'd go ahead and float the idea with our bosses now to see how feasible they think it will be. What I want to say to them (but can't) is "I really want to eat sushi and drink alcohol and ride theme park rides in Japan, so please let me go in Jan/Feb 2021 so I can start having babies". But uhh......I feel like that's maybe TMI for them (not y'all though, we're friends here right? ;) )

J4U offers for 10x points on select Happy Cards when buying $50 or more. Expires 12/29. Available coupons:
Eats
Dining
Bites
Teen
Beauty
Lady
Bride
Her
Student

Conflicting language states one per household in the description but it's an unlimited use coupon :confused3
The offer type - unlimited - should supercede any other language though. This is my offer from Acme.

Replying to myself since I think my question maybe got lost in the shuffle...would y'all recommend speculatively transferring my MR stash to VS while this 30% bonus is going on? I won't be ready to book our flights for another couple of months and we haven't discussed taking 2 weeks off with our employers, although I think the requests will be approved. I know the transfers are permanent which is why it makes me nervous. Any insight is appreciated!

I didn't answer the first time you asked, because I think it's kind of a personal decision. I am cautious by nature, so no, I don't transfer speculatively and I don't hold out and not book flights hoping that there will be an upcoming transfer bonus. That's meant that we missed out on an AF transfer bonus this year, but on the other hand, we booked the flights we wanted the day they were released for what we thought was a reasonable points price. We were lucky last year and needed to transfer to BA just as Amex had the bonus, but I worry that the flights wont be there, or that I'll need to change my plans and book with another airline and I'd hate to lock in all those points. Of course, I could need to cancel, and then the points would be stuck over there anyway, but I guess I try to reduce risk at the cost of getting the better deal. I'm not familiar enough with using VS miles for ANA to say that it's risk free I guess. It certainly looks like a fantastic deal.

So confused. I see a pending $40 credit from the Residence Inn NYC (dd and I stayed there after Thanksgiving on points). But I didn't have any charges.

Now that I have a trip planned for March - what is the strategy for ROTR? Just get up early and head over to get in line before park opening?

Yes, it was a lot of fun! We started a little late and were off to a rough start because of the rain, but it was very nice. You got to actually pet the rhino which was cool. There is an AP discount and 100% of the proceeds goes towards Rhino conservation so it is nice to know you're helping out a bit. No pictures since it is all backstage, but they take one when you return with a sign and who you met!

I have also done Caring for Giants about the elephants. Caring for Giants actually takes you behind the safari and you get to take pictures of the savannah because that is guest facing. I am not sure if Up Close with Rhinos would have been different without the rain, but it was all behind the scenes.

I would honestly do both again! Up Close with Rhinos is only offered 1x daily to fit within the trainers schedule. Caring for Giants is definitely more flexible with scheduling.

I really want to do this! Thank you for sharing.

Replying to myself since I think my question maybe got lost in the shuffle...would y'all recommend speculatively transferring my MR stash to VS while this 30% bonus is going on? I won't be ready to book our flights for another couple of months and we haven't discussed taking 2 weeks off with our employers, although I think the requests will be approved. I know the transfers are permanent which is why it makes me nervous. Any insight is appreciated!

A recommendation would depend on the situation. If it were me, I'd transfer, but here is why. The miles don't expire for 36 months. It would not be a hardship for me to find a use for them in that time frame if my original plans went awry. I also have enough miles and points in other currencies should my original plan to use VS not work out and I need to switch gears. Those who have been on this thread from the beginning know that I have several rules (for myself) and guidelines I advise for travel hacking. Plan for your trip 2 years in advance. Have a Plan A, at least a Plan B and having a Plan C is even better. So, if you have a Plan be that does not involve the use of your MR points and you can easily use what you transfer to VS within 36 months then I see no reason why not.

Reposting:
Thinking of PCing my Sw Plus to a Priority. I really should have gotten a Priority instead of the Plus. My anniversary is in Jan but not sure if my AF will hit in Jan or Feb 1.

Do I need to wait until the AF hits to PC? Or can I call in Jan to do this?

Does PCing change reset my clock for when I can go for a new card bonus? I’ll want to try for CP for 2021/2022 24 months after the bonus I got on the plus. I assume this will work. Actually, I’ll probably go for 2 biz cards if that is still an option then but don’t want to mess up the personal timing if I need that (plan b).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter