I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year!!

Anyone else using their Amex airline credits today? I assume it's good to go since it's the first of the year, right?
:wave2: But I'm using my Plat credits on a flight change fee :crazy2: Not fun, but at least it's $200 I don't have to pay & I still have $250 from the Aspire.

So in prep for taking a cip today, I tried to lower DHs credit limits on his 4 Chase Biz cards. Total for all was 21k. 2 were successfully lowered to $1k or $2k. For his SW performance, the reply was $5k was the minimum for a partner card, so they can not reduce it. Total is now 13k.
Think that is low enough? Should I try today?
My United Biz is at $2500 :confused:

For those following along on my self-induced flight change stress:

This morning right before I went to bed I finally pulled the trigger and changed my return. Friday 11/27 has either not been made available and disappeared while I was sleeping, or hasn't opened yet, but I wasn't willing to wait and risk it. Unfortunately 1st class was still not available for the return I wanted. So the final flights are:

• Outbound Sunday November 15 (arriving in at NRT Monday afternoon the 16th) in 1st
  • Return Thursday November 26 (Thanksgiving Day) in the evening from NRT and arriving at LAX the same morning :) in Business

When I called today to make the change I was told to look for an email within 24 hours. Still no email, but I logged in and both my Virgin login and the ANA login show the updated flights so I am happy about that.

Now I just have to pare down my itinerary because I think I lost a day off what I had originally planned. Oh and start looking for SW flights to get to LAX and back although I don't know that those are available yet!

That Aspire would REALLY help me right now but I'm afraid to try again so soon! Ugh!
Not sure it helps but I don't think you missed it. Even direct availability on both JAL & ANA has more or less sucked on Friday/Saturday/Sunday since JAL started routing more flights to Haneda & adding bizarre overnight departures that nobody wants.

Happy New Year!!

2020 Churning Goals

MS 25,000 on 3 CICs (375,000 URs)
MS 25,000 on 2 Golds (200,000 MRs)
MS 15k for a Hilton free night.
MS 50,000 on 2 BBPs (200,000 MRs)

now my reach goals
MS to Delta Platinum Status (this will require $90,000 in Spend and I also need to get approved for a Reserve card)

MS my way to the SW companion pass. Ours expires at the end of the year but I’m hoping to MS $125,000 this year to earn it for 2021.
:worship: :worship::worship::worship::worship:

We need 285K more Hilton points (or a points/cert combo) to visit my parents. I haven't figured out the best way to do it yet :scratchin

For those following along on my self-induced flight change stress:

This morning right before I went to bed I finally pulled the trigger and changed my return. Friday 11/27 has either not been made available and disappeared while I was sleeping, or hasn't opened yet, but I wasn't willing to wait and risk it. Unfortunately 1st class was still not available for the return I wanted. So the final flights are:

• Outbound Sunday November 15 (arriving in at NRT Monday afternoon the 16th) in 1st
  • Return Thursday November 26 (Thanksgiving Day) in the evening from NRT and arriving at LAX the same morning :) in Business

When I called today to make the change I was told to look for an email within 24 hours. Still no email, but I logged in and both my Virgin login and the ANA login show the updated flights so I am happy about that.

Now I just have to pare down my itinerary because I think I lost a day off what I had originally planned. Oh and start looking for SW flights to get to LAX and back although I don't know that those are available yet!

That Aspire would REALLY help me right now but I'm afraid to try again so soon! Ugh!
So glad you got it finalized! Enjoy the planning!

Here on the new thread! Happy New Year! We are currently using our 7 night certificate in Tampa. Having a great time just walking around various parts of the city. We have been to Dunedin (highly recommend), Tarpon Springs (glad we did it, but wouldn't go there again), Ybor City (eh, reminded me of Bourbon Street but with no one around but lots of chickens, maybe because we were there early on a Monday), Tampa Riverwalk (nice area to walk). Today we are going to St. Pete, tomorrow Busch Gardens and Friday driving up to Crystal River to hopefully swim with the Manatees. Our hotel, I don't really recommend. I think @Judique and @amalone1013 have both mentioned it as a possibility. It is The Current on Tampa Bay and it is fairly new, I think opened in September. The only reason I picked it is because it said it slept 5 and had a sofa. I was worried because I saw ZERO pictures of the queen rooms, only the King rooms. The King room pic showed a settee, I wouldn't call it a sofa, but I thought better than nothing. Well turns out nothing is what you get in the queen room! There is a chair but no sofa. It has not been fun, but we are making it work with a lot of complaints. They only have valet parking, and there is no reason for it. There is parking under the hotel and an attached garage. Not really sure why they insist on valet. And the hot water sucks. The hotel is not within walking distance of anything.

Goals for 2020 - More URs! Don't have anything specific, I guess more business cards. I need to actually plan my trips out so I know what I need.

If you're looking for anything else to do, Aladdin the musical is playing in Tampa. Just saw it on Saturday there , it was great!

So if you book the 11/25 flight are you able to change it again for $50 (or whatever the change fee is) if a more ideal slot opens?

yes

I honestly don't know. I bet @calypso726 knows... :)

The answer is yes:-)

Happy New Year everyone!
and
Happy Birthday @calypso726 !

Happy New Year and thank you for the birthday wishes 😊

DH wants to drive down the Keys and visit Fort Jefferson on our next trip to WDW (November). He was thinking fly to Fort Lauderdale and drive from there then head to Orlando. I'm trying to wrap my head around the logistics of doing this. Has anyone done something similar?

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Key West is about 3.5 to 4 hour drive. Key Largo is about 90 minutes.

@ten6mom no definitely don’t do that unless you have to. You’ll permanently lock yourself out of that cards SUB. How much are you putting on your current Amex? You could also try getting a different Amex and applying for the Aspire during the SUB period of Amex #2 since your Amex spend will be high and it won’t be 2 Hilton cards back to back.
Ah, good point. I forgot to consider that I might still get it down the line. Thank you for reminding me! This is why I come here first!

Quick question - was about to pull the trigger to get DH a CIP. However, he has super high limits on his existing (personal) Chase cards - to the tune of about $90K combined. Should we have those limits lowered before applying for the CIP? Or apply and have them reallocate the credit line as needed? Not sure if there's a best practice. Thanks!

More Amex thoughts: IF I decide I do, after all, want to apply for the Amex Platinum card,

• It has a $200 airline incidental credit that we DO think can be used for those Southwest flights under $102? (Same as I've read about the Aspire airline credit)?
  • I don't use Uber much so I can't count on getting use out of that.
  • It has an $85 credit for TSA precheck but I don't generally travel alone so in order for both of us to use it I'd have to pay separately for precheck for my husband... still potentially useful
  • I don't know if the lounge thing would be useful or not- I rarely fly. It might be funny to hang out in a fancy lounge while going to my el-cheapo Southwest wanna get away flight....

Should I go to cardmatch (I think that's it) before applying? I doubt I'll be matched for the Platicorn since I already have an Amex card. Does it hurt to try?

I'm sorry I'm rambling. Now that the flights are out of the way I'm scrambling to make hotel plans.

Quick question - was about to pull the trigger to get DH a CIP. However, he has super high limits on his existing (personal) Chase cards - to the tune of about $90K combined. Should we have those limits lowered before applying for the CIP? Or apply and have them reallocate the credit line as needed? Not sure if there's a best practice. Thanks!

best practice is to drop your limits, wait a month, then apply.

Happy New Year everyone! Some may recall that we were able to get a points reservation for NYE at Baker’s Cay in Key Largo by using stalking skills. The rooms were a little over $1,000 per night and 60,000 Hilton points was a great value.

We were upgraded to a 1 bedroom ocean view suite. Diamond members (thank you Aspire card) get a breakfast credit, free valet, cocktail at sunset, free bike rental, complimentary snorkeling and fishing equipment rental. If you are staying on points or the free night cert there is no resort fee either. We had a great time and loved the resort. It’s a perfect staycation place for us and wonderful spot to ring in the New Year and my birthday. I will do a write up on the hotel thread.

FAA25321-B1E6-46B9-A379-6F67719AA41A.jpeg

2653CB6A-0212-450A-8445-7440B638F6AB.jpeg

More Amex thoughts: IF I decide I do, after all, want to apply for the Amex Platinum card,
It has an $85 credit for TSA precheck but I don't generally travel alone so in order for both of us to use it I'd have to pay separately for precheck for my husband... still potentially useful.

You can get an AU card (I think it is called green but not the same as the stand alone green), there isn’t a fee for this and each card includes a credit for TSA PreCheck, I did this for my son and his fiancé.

Happy New Year everyone! Some may recall that we were able to get a points reservation for NYE at Baker’s Cay in Key Largo by using stalking skills. The rooms were a little over $1,000 per night and 60,000 Hilton points was a great value.

We were upgraded to a 1 bedroom ocean view suite. Diamond members (thank you Aspire card) get a breakfast credit, free valet, cocktail at sunset, free bike rental, complimentary snorkeling and fishing equipment rental. If you are staying on points or the free night cert there is no resort fee either. We had a great time and loved the resort. It’s a perfect staycation place for us and wonderful spot to ring in the New Year and my birthday. I will do a write up on the hotel thread.

View attachment 461863

View attachment 461857
Happy birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter