I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a regular poster but definitely a regular lurker :) I found you all in March and have really enjoyed learning from you! Many blessings to you all in the coming year.

I do have a question: I was recently approved for the Hyatt and can see it in my Chase app. I'd like to use it today but can't find a way to do so without the physical card. I know I've read where some of you have done this, so can you share what I need to do?

Not a regular poster but definitely a regular lurker :) I found you all in March and have really enjoyed learning from you! Many blessings to you all in the coming year.

I do have a question: I was recently approved for the Hyatt and can see it in my Chase app. I'd like to use it today but can't find a way to do so without the physical card. I know I've read where some of you have done this, so can you share what I need to do?
That can occur with certain card issuers - Amex is one. Other than if you were booking a Hyatt hotel and signed up for the card at time of booking (possibly not a good deal) you likely would not receive an instant card number from Chase. And even then, I think it would possibly only have worked at a Hyatt hotel. So you're unfortunately going to have to wait I think.

I think for some of our newer members/followers - it might be good to point out that many of us use points to reduce what we pay in cash and to make our cash stretch really far such as @calypso726 .

I have a 10K budget for vacationing, and most of the time I spend it all and then some. The 'then some' is when I supplement with free rooms or a cash back advantage.

I'm not going to ask @calypso726 what she budgets as I think that would be rude. But, it may be good to let people know that although many take a 'free' vacation, many others such as @calypso726 and @*WDW*Groupie* use this hobby to get a lot of things free or at a much reduced cost, in the thousands, while still spending their budget in addition. It's a huge way to maximize what you already have and get to do things that would not normally be in the grasp of many.

If I haven't said it clearly, what I'm saying is it's not always all free. But it's glorious to cut down a $40k trip to $10 to 20K. That puts it in the realm of possibility for many.

And I get to look at the penguins on the ice flows and totally enjoy!

And one more question- I have a Chase Freedom. If I link it to my PayPal today and use it today, will it qualify for the 5% bonus? Not sure if I've waited too late on this one. I've got a big spend that needs to be done today so I'm trying to leverage it the best I can.

And one more question- I have a Chase Freedom. If I link it to my PayPal today and use it today, will it qualify for the 5% bonus? Not sure if I've waited too late on this one. I've got a big spend that needs to be done today so I'm trying to leverage it the best I can.

It should. If it doesn't than you call and ask for the credit to be applied.

I would agree on the surface with the assessment (@Judique maybe?) that you should wait on the SW cards. Since you state that your 2021 flights are handled, earning SW points and a Companion Pass now would potentially not make sense.

However, when do you plan to fly in 2022? Do you have a plan for what trips you'll take and when? The reason I ask is because you will want to book those flights at some point later in 2021, and having the SW points could help. So it's sort of a difficult proposition here, do you earn SW points now but forego the full value of the companion pass, or do you wait but then maybe aren't able to book your flights right away upon release. If you aren't traveling in Jan-Mar 2022, I'd probably lean towards waiting.

So this probably pushes you towards the Chase Sapphire cards which are quite valuable and also offer a flexible points program (Chase Ultimate Rewards - URs). Could you meet a $4,000 MSR in 3 months comfortably without spending more than you usually do? Odd follow-up question - how about $8,000 MSR in 3 months?

Our travel plans for 2022 will probably be in April the earliest to fly down to Disney. As for meeting a $4,000 MSR in 3 months, yes that I can do comfortably. For 8,000, probably not as I don't envision any big purchases in the near future.

I’m going to chime in in the subject of annual fees. Annual fees are one of my areas of expertise as I have many cards with many annual fees. Therefore, I feel more than qualified to discuss that topic 😂

They are almost always worth paying at least once for the bonus you will be receiving. You can cancel or product change after a year. Do keep in mind that in many cases keeping a card or cards with annual fees can be beneficial. If the card offers a value that is worth more than its annual fee to you, then you should consider holding on to that card.

The majority of the trips I take would not be possible if I didn’t leverage the annual fee cards that I hold. I tend to book aspirational vacations that cost way more money than I would ever spend to experience. A cash back no fee card would never get me the points I need to do the things I want. The same is true for most vacations that fall on the modest end of the spectrum of vacation plans. Just keep that in mind when it comes to annual fee cards. 😊
I love reading about your trips....looking forward to reading more in 2021 and onward

Last edited:
Happy New Year’s Eve everyone! Last day to purchase Hilton points for double the yearly number they allow and with 100% bonus points added. That means you can get 320k total. It works out to .005 cpp. I’ve used Hilton points for redemptions in an overwater bungalow in the Maldives. The bungalows can run over $1300 a night and be booked for 95k HH points. Currently we are in Key Largo at Baker’s Cay for New Year’s Eve and my birthday which is New Year’s day. When I booked this stay the price was $6,382.58 for 5 nights. We are using 60k points per night and the 5th night is free. That’s a 2.66 cpp value. I am thinking I may pull the trigger and buy points. I’ve got an MSR to finish up on my CIU so I can inch closer to that and get 1.5 UR per dollar in the process. When things are normal again. I’d love to go back to the Maldives. In any case, I have no doubt I’d get more value than what it costs me.
Happy birthday! 🎂

I think for some of our newer members/followers - it might be good to point out that many of us use points to reduce what we pay in cash and to make our cash stretch really far such as @calypso726 .

I have a 10K budget for vacationing, and most of the time I spend it all and then some. The 'then some' is when I supplement with free rooms or a cash back advantage.

I'm not going to ask @calypso726 what she budgets as I think that would be rude. But, it may be good to let people know that although many take a 'free' vacation, many others such as @calypso726 and @*WDW*Groupie* use this hobby to get a lot of things free or at a much reduced cost, in the thousands, while still spending their budget in addition. It's a huge way to maximize what you already have and get to do things that would not normally be in the grasp of many.

If I haven't said it clearly, what I'm saying is it's not always all free. But it's glorious to cut down a $40k trip to $10 to 20K. That puts it in the realm of possibility for many.

And I get to look at the penguins on the ice flows and totally enjoy!
Thanks for the info, its definitely time consuming trying to keep up with all the ways to earn points, but seems very beneficial once you know what you’re doing.

we’re taking our first “free” flights next week thanks to Delta rewards card introductory offers. It seems like once you use your introductory points, it’s difficult to continue earningenough points for future trips. Got any tips or suggestions on how to go forward from this point?

Ok, a little off the beaten path but I'm looking for ideas from veterans. My number 1 financial goal for 2021 is to up my giving to 10%. I'm at 3.5% now so it'll be a huge shift in focus for me this year.

How can credit cards be of benefit in that? I don't want to overlook any creative ways to use credit cards in achieving this goal. I know when you donate by credit card, the charities do not get the full amount, but it's just most convenient so I'm hoping that 98-ish% is better than nothing. Are there any cards or strategies that reward more giving?
Several charities I give to take Paypal, so I will get the 5% back on my linked Chase Freedom for my 4thQ 2020 donations to those. DH has a CSR which is allowing you to use points to pay yourself back at 1.5X for several charities, so I used a lot of his URs by donating to Habitat for Humanity, Feeding America, and World Central Kitchen. That's all I can think of.

Our travel plans for 2022 will probably be in April the earliest to fly down to Disney. As for meeting a $4,000 MSR in 3 months, yes that I can do comfortably. For 8,000, probably not as I don't envision any big purchases in the near future.

You have already received some good advice...but I just wanted to throw another possible into the ring. The Barclays JetBlue plus card is currently offering an all-time high of 100,000 points. (50000 after $1000 in spend in 3 months and another 50000 after an additional $5000 spend in the first 12 months). That currently represents almost $1400 in value for a $99 annual fee. Plus you get free checked bags and 5,000 bonus points each year which helps offset the annual fee.

JetBlue now fly direct from PVD to MCO & FLL , and you always have access to BOS or BDL for other options.

I loaded my new CSP to my Apple wallet this morning (without the physical card). Go to your Chase account, click on the new card, scroll down the screen until you see "digital wallet", click on this and it will prompt you to load to your Apple or Android wallet (I did this on my iPhone). It's really simple. It goes without saying that this will only work for purchases in stores as I don't have the card yet.

I loaded my new CSP to my Apple wallet this morning (without the physical card). Go to your Chase account, click on the new card, scroll down the screen until you see "digital wallet", click on this and it will prompt you to load to your Apple or Android wallet (I did this on my iPhone). It's really simple. It goes without saying that this will only work for purchases in stores as I don't have the card yet.

Thank you! I did find it linked in my wallet but wanted to use it for an online purchase. I *think* I was able to make good use though and created a PPK that linked to my Chase Freedom in my PayPal acct to earn the 5x bonus for PayPal this quarter. That is I hope that's what I ended up doing and if so, then I'll finish out the last day of the year super proud of using a strategy to earn more rewards...which has never crossed my mind before 2020 :yay:

Thanks for the info, its definitely time consuming trying to keep up with all the ways to earn points, but seems very beneficial once you know what you’re doing.

we’re taking our first “free” flights next week thanks to Delta rewards card introductory offers. It seems like once you use your introductory points, it’s difficult to continue earningenough points for future trips. Got any tips or suggestions on how to go forward from this point?

I think that's where the 'churning' comes in. Closing and reopening some cards and moving on to different cards with nice bonuses.

Not all of us do that, even though we sort of use the term churning, we are not true churners. I rarely have closed a card. And in the last 2 years I've only opened 2 cards. Some are real churners and get many cards. No judgement here. If you read Reddit you may get judgemental as some of that is over the top.

I am partial to collecting Amex MR's and doing Amex offers as well as Chase and Bank of America offers that give cash back 5%, 10% or even 20% for purchasing at a particular store. I watch for nice earning bonuses such as a $100 statement credit for spending a $1000 on one of my Amex cards in the last year.

Almost all of what would be 1 % spend on most cards goes on my 2% card. I do look for the highest value as I spend and I will pay a fee to pay my electric bill so as to earn points on the spend. For instance I will put $600 on the bill that costs $1.95 to process, while earning $12 - $1.95, thereby earning $10.05 for paying the utility. $600 is about 1/4 of my yearly electric costs.

I will open a new card to get a bonus when I have the time before a large expense, such as the $8300 HVAC system. Got 80K for opening the CSP. One purchase. Then the CSP has had a few offers I've used just this past week, earning 10% back on a Disney card of $190 - $19 was the max return.

It all adds up. The CIC gives 5% at office stores such as Staples. I'll buy gift cards and use them elsewhere for groceries, earning 5%.

So most trips are flight, hotel, food and incidentals. Depending on where you go, collecting hotel point bonuses are fairly easy. Airline points - easy. Much of the rest, cash back. Disney used to be in this mix through various portals but they've pretty much pulled back. But, there are other choices. And, if you can offset a summer beach trip with free nights in a hotel, from hotel cards, the money you save there can be allocated to Disney or whatever you care to do.

I look at it as an overall budget and I take it from there. Sometimes I've done things like get discounted home depot gift cards on the Amex site with my Amex MR's and bought a $2k John Deere riding mower. @SouthFayetteFan may or may not have done the same to buy a dishwasher (it may have been a different appliance!)

And, for Xmas my son had some tools on his Amazon wish list. I bought them using home depot gift cards obtained from Amex using MR's. The cash I would have spent stayed in my account.

Okay, so this moves at your pace. It's a job and I'm retired so I dabble in it a little bit. It pays to be organized. Some people keep spreadsheets. I keep lists but nowhere near as organized as some are. But than I don't have to be and I'm still happy to pick the easy fruit.

I think that's where the 'churning' comes in. Closing and reopening some cards and moving on to different cards with nice bonuses.

Not all of us do that, even though we sort of use the term churning, we are not true churners. I rarely have closed a card. And in the last 2 years I've only opened 2 cards. Some are real churners and get many cards. No judgement here. If you read Reddit you may get judgemental as some of that is over the top.

I am partial to collecting Amex MR's and doing Amex offers as well as Chase and Bank of America offers that give cash back 5%, 10% or even 20% for purchasing at a particular store. I watch for nice earning bonuses such as a $100 statement credit for spending a $1000 on one of my Amex cards in the last year.

Almost all of what would be 1 % spend on most cards goes on my 2% card. I do look for the highest value as I spend and I will pay a fee to pay my electric bill so as to earn points on the spend. For instance I will put $600 on the bill that costs $1.95 to process, while earning $12 - $1.95, thereby earning $10.05 for paying the utility. $600 is about 1/4 of my yearly electric costs.

I will open a new card to get a bonus when I have the time before a large expense, such as the $8300 HVAC system. Got 80K for opening the CSP. One purchase. Then the CSP has had a few offers I've used just this past week, earning 10% back on a Disney card of $190 - $19 was the max return.

It all adds up. The CIC gives 5% at office stores such as Staples. I'll buy gift cards and use them elsewhere for groceries, earning 5%.

So most trips are flight, hotel, food and incidentals. Depending on where you go, collecting hotel point bonuses are fairly easy. Airline points - easy. Much of the rest, cash back. Disney used to be in this mix through various portals but they've pretty much pulled back. But, there are other choices. And, if you can offset a summer beach trip with free nights in a hotel, from hotel cards, the money you save there can be allocated to Disney or whatever you care to do.

I look at it as an overall budget and I take it from there. Sometimes I've done things like get discounted home depot gift cards on the Amex site with my Amex MR's and bought a $2k John Deere riding mower. @SouthFayetteFan may or may not have done the same to buy a dishwasher (it may have been a different appliance!)

And, for Xmas my son had some tools on his Amazon wish list. I bought them using home depot gift cards obtained from Amex using MR's. The cash I would have spent stayed in my account.

Okay, so this moves at your pace. It's a job and I'm retired so I dabble in it a little bit. It pays to be organized. Some people keep spreadsheets. I keep lists but nowhere near as organized as some are. But than I don't have to be and I'm still happy to pick the easy fruit.
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a good use of time and resources, though I'm guessing most that do this keep balances at or near 0. This is the year I am really going to focus on zeroing out my cards, been a problem my entire adult life and just need to escape, but I do see the benefits of paying monthly bills from the card and paying the card from the budget. We did that to meet the bonus points requirements, but I'll probably wait until cards are all paid off before I do much on that front.

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a good use of time and resources, though I'm guessing most that do this keep balances at or near 0. This is the year I am really going to focus on zeroing out my cards, been a problem my entire adult life and just need to escape, but I do see the benefits of paying monthly bills from the card and paying the card from the budget. We did that to meet the bonus points requirements, but I'll probably wait until cards are all paid off before I do much on that front.

That's a good strategy. I haven't always been debt free but I did take care of it and moved on to collecting from the credit card companies versus feeding them extra interest. That alone is an incentive to earn some rewards, if you've had to pay credit card interest in the past.

Happy New Year’s Eve everyone! Last day to purchase Hilton points for double the yearly number they allow and with 100% bonus points added. That means you can get 320k total. It works out to .005 cpp. I’ve used Hilton points for redemptions in an overwater bungalow in the Maldives. The bungalows can run over $1300 a night and be booked for 95k HH points. Currently we are in Key Largo at Baker’s Cay for New Year’s Eve and my birthday which is New Year’s day. When I booked this stay the price was $6,382.58 for 5 nights. We are using 60k points per night and the 5th night is free. That’s a 2.66 cpp value. I am thinking I may pull the trigger and buy points. I’ve got an MSR to finish up on my CIU so I can inch closer to that and get 1.5 UR per dollar in the process. When things are normal again. I’d love to go back to the Maldives. In any case, I have no doubt I’d get more value than what it costs me.
I just googled Baker's Cay and it looks really nice! How's the water temp? Have a great vacation!!

You need to open more cards, ask lots of question and read some blogs.

I like to pencil in vacations a couple years ahead and then start looking for the right points/miles needed to make that trip as free as possible.

This year we opened 12 cards, took 5 vacations, spent 31 nights in hotels, purchased 19 RT tickets, spent $7,689 and paid $2,643 in credit card fees.

It is a lot to manage but totally doable, with lots of spreadsheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter