I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this was already covered. I want to maximize my Discover 5% cash back bonus this quarter. I'm using it for gas, but will still have lots of room leftover that I can use at Target. I almost never go to Target so I was wondering if it's possible to use to purchase Target gift cards that I can later gift out to people. I believe I read that Target no longer carries other brands of gift cards. Just trying to figure out a way to use large spend at Target to get my 5% cash back from Discover. Any other ideas are welcome.

Sorry if this was already covered. I want to maximize my Discover 5% cash back bonus this quarter. I'm using it for gas, but will still have lots of room leftover that I can use at Target. I almost never go to Target so I was wondering if it's possible to use to purchase Target gift cards that I can later gift out to people. I believe I read that Target no longer carries other brands of gift cards. Just trying to figure out a way to use large spend at Target to get my 5% cash back from Discover. Any other ideas are welcome.
Target still has third party gift cards.

Relatively new to AMEX and still learning the ropes. I know buying gift cards to meet an AMEX MSR is a no-no. What about relatively large GC purchases after you’ve gotten the SUB? When our Harris Teeter has 4x fuel points on GCs, I like to buy $1000 in Amazon GCs. Can I do that in one transaction on DH’s AMEX Gold and get the 4x on groceries or will that anger the AMEX gods?
I'm probably jinxing myself, but I get the Hilton FNC w/ a large chunk of Staples VGC purchases. But for my new Hilton Honors (free) card, I made sure all the purchases were outright.

Who has been to Switzerland (specifically the Lucerne area)? DH and our 2 DS (ages 16 and 18) are starting a Tauck Bridges tour in Lucerne in June. We’ve got a day and a half on our own before the tour starts, so looking for things to do (preferably active things) and restaurant suggestions before our tour starts. DSs are pretty intolerant of classic “sight-seeing” (as are DH and I, to be honest). I’ve already got Mount Titlis on our list (although would love to hear any first hand experiences!).

Last edited:

I looked into this yesterday and in my state (NC) the only location is CLT (3 hours from me) and the website just says "no appointments available". Other locations (that I checked just for fun) were into December, others May, but literally nothing in my state at this time. I'd prefer to do GE than TSA precheck, but I'm presuming you don't get either until the appointment is completed, so not sure what we'll do.

I think you got good suggestions on this. My location also just said "no appointments available" and I stalked for a few days and found availability open up (1 or 2 slots) and then stalked some more and got an earlier appointment. Also I saw on reddit there are apps you can pay for that notify you of availability, as well as subscribing to certain twitter accounts that tweet when availability opens. So I think there are options if you really want GE. And correct, you have to go to the appointment first, and they if approved, you'll receive your known traveler #.
@FreeDiningFanatic and whoever else booked japan trips can someone help me with some pro tips, everything im seeing on JAL and ANA is waitlisted. I know there were more but i think free dining did a review its been a while trying to plan this thanks in advance.

Sorry, no past or future Japan travel for me, but sounds like you got some good advice from the experts.

Just back from the Cayman Islands. I'll write an official trip report, but wanted to do my PSA for travel medical insurance. I've posted before about the importance of this, and we ended up needing it this trip. My 12 yo daughter was in the pool at our resort and she was doing underwater sommersaults. Well, she caught her head on the pool stairs. She came out of the water and toweled off and realized there was blood on the towel. Our server noticed and immediately alerted for first aid. They came and rendered aid; when it got cleaned out and the site was visible, it was clear that it likely needed sutures. They assisted us to our suite and called the hotel's on-call doctor, who happens to be an FAA Medical Examiner and Canadian immigration physician, and had the ideal bedside manner to calm my nervous daughter. She arrived in about 30 minutes and was able to clean the site, provide local topical anesthesia and suture right there in our hotel suite.

The charge was $649, so very, very reasonable. I paid with my credit card and will submit to our trip insurance. Before departing, just as I was checking out on the trip insurance site, I toggled from a $250 deductible to a $0 deductible, and the cost was like $20 or $30 more TOTAL for the 9 people I was purchasing insurance for. So, while making the claim is always a hassle, again, this is another situation where it should pay off. The cost was about $10 per person for a 5 day trip.

And my daughter is doing great and it happened on our last full day there. It was handled so, so well that it didn't diminish our trip at all. And my daughter has selected "sting ray attack" as her go-to story. :rotfl2:

@saraboo
I think you got good suggestions on this. My location also just said "no appointments available" and I stalked for a few days and found availability open up (1 or 2 slots) and then stalked some more and got an earlier appointment. Also I saw on reddit there are apps you can pay for that notify you of availability, as well as subscribing to certain twitter accounts that tweet when availability opens. So I think there are options if you really want GE. And correct, you have to go to the appointment first, and they if approved, you'll receive your known traveler #.

Sorry, no past or future Japan travel for me, but sounds like you got some good advice from the experts.
i cant rember who did the excellent review and write up but i loved her review i thought it was you was done on Amex points and they went to jiros sushi ec.

Who has been to Switzerland (specifically the Lucerne area)? DH and our 2 DS (ages 16 and 18) are starting a Tauck Bridges tour in Lucerne in June. We’ve got a day and a half on our own before the tour starts, so looking for things to do (preferably active things) and restaurant suggestions before our tour starts. DSs are pretty intolerant of classic “sight-seeing” (as are DH and I, to be honest). I’ve already got Mount Titlis on our list (although would love to hear any first hand experiences!).
I spent 3 nights in Lucerne several years ago -- it's gorgeous! There is the Swiss Museum of Transport, which is well worth a visit. I took a train to Mount Pilatus, then the cog wheel train up to the top. There are plenty of hiking trails and fantastic views -- I highly recommend this.

It is also possible for you to spend a few nights in Zurich, then take the train to Lucerne to meet your tour. There are plenty of hiking trails just a short train ride from Zurich; you can also rent a bike and ride around the lake. I am a HUGE fan of trains in Europe -- they are so efficient and a great way to travel between cities / countries.

Pic taken from the top of Mount Pilatus:

Mount Pilatus.jpeg

I may have the chance to travel for a work-related conference (first time ever!)- conference is in SLC at the Hilton City Center. I won't have a rental car or anything- does anyone know of anything fun to do within walking distance in the evenings? No biggie if not- I look forward to the chance to read my book, uninterrupted!

I have a dilemma that I am hoping some of you can offer some help with. Headed to London, Edinburgh and Dublin in less than 2 weeks (YAY!!!) with dd for her 20th birthday trip. I booked the Biltmore LXR in London on Hilton points and am super excited to stay here! For Edinburgh I booked the Sheraton Grand and used 6 suite night upgrades, hoping for a nice suite (kind of stupid since the stay is so long and it's over a Saturday night). Unfortunately all the suites have been booked and recent TA reviews indicate the hotel is showing its age. Plus I have no idea when I'll be able to use the SNUs this year if I don't use them this trip. Soooo I checked yesterday and the Glasshouse (Marriott) has rooms available at a decent price and they have a few suites that are still open for my dates. They don't have a lounge, which I doubt I'd use much, but other than that it looks good. Would you move your reservation? I can't tell if the hotel is nicer or if the location is better or worse than the Sheraton. Suggestions? Tagging our resident Edinburgh expert @calypso726! Location is important to me as I prefer to walk or take transit most places when I'm traveling.

I may have the chance to travel for a work-related conference (first time ever!)- conference is in SLC at the Hilton City Center. I won't have a rental car or anything- does anyone know of anything fun to do within walking distance in the evenings? No biggie if not- I look forward to the chance to read my book, uninterrupted!
What about a food tour? I have taken many in foreign cities and always enjoy them! You could Uber to the starting location if it's not walkable from your hotel.

I have a dilemma that I am hoping some of you can offer some help with. Headed to London, Edinburgh and Dublin in less than 2 weeks (YAY!!!) with dd for her 20th birthday trip. I booked the Biltmore LXR in London on Hilton points and am super excited to stay here! For Edinburgh I booked the Sheraton Grand and used 6 suite night upgrades, hoping for a nice suite (kind of stupid since the stay is so long and it's over a Saturday night). Unfortunately all the suites have been booked and recent TA reviews indicate the hotel is showing its age. Plus I have no idea when I'll be able to use the SNUs this year if I don't use them this trip. Soooo I checked yesterday and the Glasshouse (Marriott) has rooms available at a decent price and they have a few suites that are still open for my dates. They don't have a lounge, which I doubt I'd use much, but other than that it looks good. Would you move your reservation? I can't tell if the hotel is nicer or if the location is better or worse than the Sheraton. Suggestions? Tagging our resident Edinburgh expert @calypso726! Location is important to me as I prefer to walk or take transit most places when I'm traveling.
Not Calypso, but we own a flat in Edinburgh, and I’m actually sitting in the Boise airport waiting for my first flight to take me to Edinburgh now. My take is that if the Sheraton is getting reviewed as dated, and there aren’t any suites left, based on location, I would switch to the Glasshouse.

Not Calypso, but we own a flat in Edinburgh, and I’m actually sitting in the Boise airport waiting for my first flight to take me to Edinburgh now. My take is that if the Sheraton is getting reviewed as dated, and there aren’t any suites left, based on location, I would switch to the Glasshouse.

I hope this isn't too forward to ask, but do you rent out the flat when not using yourself? The reason I ask, we're going to Ireland in 2023 and doing some Airbnb stays. I noticed our 'hosts' for one in Dingle are from Texas. I didn't know if that was a common or not (but it sounds very intriguing!)

They have light rail that you can use. It's clean and can get you places. Not sure where, but it'll expand what you can do. I think it was put in foe the Olympics. Can't remember if we were at the hilton for our conference but it was a short walk. You can also see the state Capitol and walk around the outside of the temple. Bu

I hope this isn't too forward to ask, but do you rent out the flat when not using yourself? The reason I ask, we're going to Ireland in 2023 and doing some Airbnb stays. I noticed our 'hosts' for one in Dingle are from Texas. I didn't know if that was a common or not (but it sounds very intriguing!)
We don’t, at least for now. My daughter is a student at the University of Edinburgh, and she lives in the flat.

I applied and was approved for the CIC on Jan 22. Am I close enough to 3 months to apply today for the CIU today? I am 4/24, and this will not count toward my 5, right?

I see you got some good advice already, which is great because I can't remember much, but I was in Lucerne for a few days a long time ago. I remember it was gorgeous there, the bridge with all the old paintings, walking around the cute little town, and taking the rail up to the top of the nearby mountain (really nice). If you like nature and the outdoors it's a great place.

I applied and was approved for the CIC on Jan 22. Am I close enough to 3 months to apply today for the CIU today? I am 4/24, and this will not count toward my 5, right?
It's a guideline, no need to be that strict. Even 2 months is ok for many people as long as you're not getting a new Chase card every 2 months.
Neither CIU or CIC count against 5/24, but you must be under to apply.

Last edited:
Not sure what to do here - DH applied for a CIC on 3/29/22. He received a message that said "We need to review your request a bit longer. We will let you know our decision as soon as possible". Well, I still haven't heard anything. I'm assuming it was denied, but I never received a denial and there's no info in his private messages or anything. I did check his credit score and there is an inquiry, so I know the application went through.

I don't know if I should just go ahead and apply for something else or what? DH will not want to call. I could try sending a PM to see if they will tell him anything about it, but at this point, I'm ready to do something. I've applied for a card for myself in the mean time, but we are ready for another lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter