I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting it off an on for the last 2 days on Safari (on a laptop, not phone though).

Ok so something weird is happening. As long as it's not just me. 😂 It's so much nicer without so many of the ads. It's fine on my laptop but so intrusive on my phone with chrome.

Thanks for the rec! We've never had any of the hydration packs. We just figured we'd pack up several water bottles, but this seems like a more convenient idea. I like this idea in theory, but never having used one I can't speak to if I'll like it or not! Since we have Prime, I just ordered two packs... the one that @StephPlum recommended, and another hydration pack with a 3L bladder (not Camelbak/Osprey, but in the $30 range). I figure, we'll try them on and see which one feels better, can fit what we need, etc. and I'll return whichever doesn't work. DH is super picky about backpacks anyways, so this will give us the chance to see which type works better for both of us! Thanks again!
these are the ones we used for our Arizona/Utah trip last July
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5O9RVG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

No, even a partial cc payment gets rid of the discount. If you’re just doing it once, you can probably call to get it put back.

GC does keep the discount, but the issue is they may come inactive. I bought many for the cell phone credit when we still had Verizon. Not a single one came working. I was able to get them fixed by calling, takes awhile though. If you need to do that, key words are “payment investigation ticket”.
I paid at the store kiosk with my Plat and still received the discount. I live close to one so it isn’t a big deal for me to stop by.

Thank you! I ordered one really similar to this, pretty much only difference is instead of 2L, it's 3L. It looks like hydration packs may be the way to go since we are going to be there in August. For the past 3 weeks it's been in the high 90s where I live in SC, and with humidity it has felt in the 100s. And we spend a TON of time outside with our dogs, even in this heat. So I feel like I'm already preparing physically for the sweating to come, lol.

Too bad I'm never eligible for those Amazon offers that DoC posts, including the new ones from today, so I could save some money on all these purchases I'm making for the trip. I don't know why Amazon hates me so much... I swear I give them like half our paycheck! :rotfl2:

Thank you! I ordered one really similar to this, pretty much only difference is instead of 2L, it's 3L. It looks like hydration packs may be the way to go since we are going to be there in August. For the past 3 weeks it's been in the high 90s where I live in SC, and with humidity it has felt in the 100s. And we spend a TON of time outside with our dogs, even in this heat. So I feel like I'm already preparing physically for the sweating to come, lol.

Too bad I'm never eligible for those Amazon offers that DoC posts, including the new ones from today, so I could save some money on all these purchases I'm making for the trip. I don't know why Amazon hates me so much... I swear I give them like half our paycheck! :rotfl2:
I finally got smart and started buying Amazon GC at Kroger during the 4X fuel points, so at least I'm getting gas deals on all the $ I give them!

I paid at the store kiosk with my Plat and still received the discount. I live close to one so it isn’t a big deal for me to stop by.
Good to know! And it shows up as Verizon? I have no idea if our store has a kiosk or not. But it’s not far so I may check. For $75 off twice it’s worth it.

Fred Meyer consisternly codes as grocery for the 6% on my BCP.

When did it start? Because even within the last couple of weeks I saw a comment on r/churning about it not coding as grocery for amex. Unless everyone that knew it didn't never tried and those who saw it was never said. Just surprised if it's been awhile that it hasn't been shared.

I haven't been here in so long--you all have been plugging right along! I gave up on ever figuring out how to take full advantage of credit cards--I just don't think I have it in me--but I have gotten some excellent advice here over the years and due to you all I think I currently am at least using the cards that are right for me.

I'm back because I need a new card.I am not going to follow the usual format because I have not gotten any new cards in well over two years. I currently have:
Chase Marriott Bonvoy
AmEx Blue Sapphire Preffered
I also have one or two store credit cards (J Jill and I think one other) that I haven't used in years and probably just need to close. I don't even have a physical card for these anymore.

I have excellent credit and I pay my balances in full every month.

My current needs are a little different. I have a daughter going off to college in August and she is going a somewhat non-traditional route. She wants to be a pilot, and she plans to attend community college and get her Associate of Science degree while she gets her pilot's license, and then transfer to a 4-year university to finish up her degree after that.

The catch is that she wants to do all of this waaaaay across the country from home. It would be much cheaper if she could live at home, but....

Anyway, that's not what this board is about. She's going, and it's going to be expensive. Between tuition for both schools, renting her an apartment (no dorms), furnishing and equipping the apartment, getting some necessary repairs done to her vehicle before she dries it a could thousand miles across the country, etc., I'll be spending a lot of money over the next few months.

While we have plenty of money "put away," we never earmarked anything as specifically for our children's education, and now is kind of a bad time to be withdrawing funds from any of our accounts. We also currently have a large discrepancy between our income and our expenses; after paying off our house and me going to full time work at a new job, we have a lot more money coming in than going out. It seems more financially sound to leave our investments intact and just pay "out of pocket" for our daughter's expenses.

Here's what I'm thinking...my income will NOT cover all the expenses I'm going to accrue over the next few months. I teach at a university and my summer session ends this week, so I won't even have any more paychecks coming in until mid-August, but easily within a few months I could pay off whatever balance accumulates. So for the first time ever I'm considering carrying a balance. Very temporarily!!!

Any advice on a card that would work well for me? I don't mind an annual fee if the rewards are good, and I don't mind a high initial spend because that will not be a problem at all. My biggest issue is that I will be carrying a balance probably through the end of the year. After that, there is no need for that to ever happen again.

Are there any cards with good rewards and little or no interest charged for the first 4-6 months? I think I could pay it off by the end of October if necessary. Honestly I may be able to pay it off much sooner, I just know that there are likely to be a lot of unanticipated expenses that I am not currently considering and I don't want to be caught in a bind and end up having to transfer money out of my investment accounts after all.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, and if anyone has a referral link let me know and I'll use it.

I haven't been here in so long--you all have been plugging right along! I gave up on ever figuring out how to take full advantage of credit cards--I just don't think I have it in me--but I have gotten some excellent advice here over the years and due to you all I think I currently am at least using the cards that are right for me.

I'm back because I need a new card.I am not going to follow the usual format because I have not gotten any new cards in well over two years. I currently have:
Chase Marriott Bonvoy
I also have one or two store credit cards (J Jill and I think one other) that I haven't used in years and probably just need to close. I don't even have a physical card for these anymore.

My current needs are a little different. I have a daughter going off to college in August and she is going a somewhat non-traditional route. She wants to be a pilot, and she plans to attend community college and get her Associate of Science degree while she gets her pilot's license, and then transfer to a 4-year university to finish up her degree after that.

The catch is that she wants to do all of this waaaaay across the country from home. It would be much cheaper if she could live at home, but....

Anyway, that's not what this board is about. She's going, and it's going to be expensive. Between tuition for both schools, renting her an apartment (no dorms), furnishing and equipping the apartment, getting some necessary repairs done to her vehicle before she dries it a could thousand miles across the country, etc., I'll be spending a lot of money over the next few months.

While we have plenty of money "put away," we never earmarked anything as specifically for our children's education, and now is kind of a bad time to be withdrawing funds from any of our accounts. We also currently have a large discrepancy between our income and our expenses; after paying off our house and me going to full time work at a new job, we have a lot more money coming in than going out. It seems more financially sound to leave our investments intact and just pay "out of pocket" for our daughter's expenses.

Here's what I'm thinking...my income will NOT cover all the expenses I'm going to accrue over the next few months. I teach at a university and my summer session ends this week, so I won't even have any more paychecks coming in until mid-August, but easily within a few months I could pay off whatever balance accumulates. So for the first time ever I'm considering carrying a balance. Very temporarily!!!

Any advice on a card that would work well for me? I don't mind an annual fee if the rewards are good, and I don't mind a high initial spend because that will not be a problem at all. My biggest issue is that I will be carrying a balance probably through the end of the year. After that, there is no need for that to ever happen again.

Are there any cards with good rewards and little or no interest charged for the first 4-6 months? I think I could pay it off by the end of October if necessary. Honestly I may be able to pay it off much sooner, I just know that there are likely to be a lot of unanticipated expenses that I am not currently considering and I don't want to be caught in a bind and end up having to transfer money out of my investment accounts after all.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, and if anyone has a referral link let me know and I'll use it.
I just did a google search on low interest rate CCs. There are some with 0%, so you could look through those and see which have additional offers that would be useful to you. But I wanted to say that as an alternative to paying the outrageous 14%+ rates, maybe taking out a bank loan with a 4-5% interest rate would be an option. Use the card, pay it off with the bank loan with the much smaller rate, and when your paycheck starts coming in again in the fall, pay off the bank loan. Just an idea....

I can use PYB to recover my AF on my CSR but only until the end of the month. Is there any reason not to do this? I was considering PCing or closing my CSR because I have had it now for 4 years but I don't understand the whole process to get a new one when I have existing reservations through Chase and an existing point balance. Therefore I will probably keep it but I would love some advice. I haven't used the new travel credit either.

Chase Marriott Bonvoy

Wells Fargo active cash is giving 15 months no interest, 2% cash back, $200 credit after $1000 spend, no AF

I can use PYB to recover my AF on my CSR but only until the end of the month. Is there any reason not to do this? I was considering PCing or closing my CSR because I have had it now for 4 years but I don't understand the whole process to get a new one when I have existing reservations through Chase and an existing point balance. Therefore I will probably keep it but I would love some advice. I haven't used the new travel credit either.
I used PYB for my CSR AF and all dining…
If it’s been 4 years since you received the bonus you could PC it and the URs will stay with the card…I’d use the TC before doing so.
Your reservation will remain….but my understanding is that the travel protection will not apply…others may know definitely

Chase Marriott Bonvoy

I like @georgina 's choice.

A further idea would be to stagger the bills a bit if some can be paid off earlier than the October mark. Maybe app for another card after putting a good part of the spend on the no fee, 15 month card. It's end of June and payments for car repairs are probably up first, then tuition and such might not be due right away.

Perhaps do a spreadsheet of the expenses and go from there.

Good luck to your DD on her desire to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter