I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So funny, I HATE XFINITY. Lol. Mostly because of their customer service. In IL, I was able to dump XFINITY completely. I agree Verizon tends to be more expensive but we have had great coverage. I’ve saved so much money dumping XFINITY for TV and internet.
I also hate xfinity and have only Internet. Who do you use?
I need to go into the store as they recently increased my fee from $75 to $104. Phone reps are useless, they tried to tell me the cheapest plan I could switch to is $120/month. It's $104, why would I downgrade service and increase price? 🤦‍♀️ We thought about trying T-Mobile for $50/mo but don't think it would work as DH is WFH and uses web based services for everything.

It is interesting reading everyone's phone stories and preferences. We may eventually investigate switching but are lazy right now.

DH informed me this AM that he lost a crown/tooth last night and is probably looking at another implant. As retirees we have no dental insurance. So, he was just instantly approved for another CIU with a $6000 CL. Need to expedite it, can do that by SM I think. He does not have the greatest teeth and already has several implants. Sigh.

I need to go into the store as they recently increased my fee from $75 to $104. Phone reps are useless, they tried to tell me the cheapest plan I could switch to is $120/month. It's $104, why would I downgrade service and increase price? 🤦‍♀️ We thought about trying T-Mobile for $50/mo but don't think it would work as DH is WFH and uses web based services for everything.

I try to go into their store for anything and avoid the phone. The people in store are at least nice and helpful.

I have a giffgaff UK number for my visits back home - had it for 3 years - the good thing is the prices you mentioned are monthly packs that you only buy when you need - you don't need to spend any money to keep the number - just send a text once every six months to keep the number active.

I think I bought the original giffgaff sim on Ebay (USA) before I headed back one time so it was active and ready to go when I got there.

Add me to the list of happy giffgaff customers. I've had my SIM for about 5 years now since my daughter introduced me to it when she was at Uni in Durham. Before that, we would just buy ee sims when we arrived, but I love giffgaff for its ease and ability to keep the same number as long as you buy a good bag once every six months. It is unbelievably cheap and easy (see screenshot of prices). I spend about 5-8 weeks in the UK a year and each time I go I just buy a monthly goody bag (make sure to toggle the recurring plans off). We keep our old iPhones and use those as our UK phones. I have an iPhone 13 with a dual sim so I could have it all on one phone, but it messes up iMessage and is tricky to make sure you aren't using US data so I found it easier just to have the separate phone.

Over the years giffgaff has changed things a bit, but look for the non-golden goody bags that are below the golden ones (those are for recurring plans). After years of feeling like a kid in the candy store and spending £10 for 15 GB+, I've forced myself to just buy the lowest since I'm not using it for streaming or anything like that. It also acts as a hotspot for laptops, etc. I also usually have about £10 in funds on there to cover phone calls back home, etc.

Years ago, I ordered a SIM and it was waiting for me at my hotel. I had @Calfan do the same recently, but I think her shipping got screwed up. She can chime in on her experience. The one negative is that each time I go to purchase a goody bag, I'm reminded of how horrible and expensive our plans are here in the US and I get angry :)

Attachments

• giffgaff.jpg
    giffgaff.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 3
I was able to get Verizon 5G at home. If you stop in, they can test your address and see if you are covered. My address in Barrington and my DD downtown were covered. I think they need to make sure you are in a good 5G location. I've had it for 2 months and it has worked great. $35/month or $25 on autopay. The speeds are great but I can't remember what exactly. We run 2 Tvs, 2 computers, ipads, phones, thermostat etc. No gamers here.

We stream Youtube TV in IL and FL. Weird note, apparently the Verizon signal must pick up Milwaukee as our YouTube TV location got mixed up. Talk about great customer service, YouTube TV help is amazing.

Add me to the list of happy giffgaff customers. I've had my SIM for about 5 years now since my daughter introduced me to it when she was at Uni in Durham. Before that, we would just buy ee sims when we arrived, but I love giffgaff for its ease and ability to keep the same number as long as you buy a good bag once every six months. It is unbelievably cheap and easy (see screenshot of prices). I spend about 5-8 weeks in the UK a year and each time I go I just buy a monthly goody bag (make sure to toggle the recurring plans off). We keep our old iPhones and use those as our UK phones. I have an iPhone 13 with a dual sim so I could have it all on one phone, but it messes up iMessage and is tricky to make sure you aren't using US data so I found it easier just to have the separate phone.

Over the years giffgaff has changed things a bit, but look for the non-golden goody bags that are below the golden ones (those are for recurring plans). After years of feeling like a kid in the candy store and spending £10 for 15 GB+, I've forced myself to just buy the lowest since I'm not using it for streaming or anything like that. It also acts as a hotspot for laptops, etc. I also usually have about £10 in funds on there to cover phone calls back home, etc.

Years ago, I ordered a SIM and it was waiting for me at my hotel. I had @Calfan do the same recently, but I think her shipping got screwed up. She can chime in on her experience. The one negative is that each time I go to purchase a goody bag, I'm reminded of how horrible and expensive our plans are here in the US and I get angry :)
I definitely had some delivery issues with my giffgaff sim on my last trip. Had ordered both to my home in the states and to our flat in Edinburgh to cover bases (and in case the U.S. one didn’t arrive in time). Despite confirms that they had been shipped and should arrive in a couple of days, it actually took about 2-3 weeks for both to arrive. They eventually did though. In the meantime, I had bought a U.K. sim at EE when I arrived in Edinburgh in April. That worked fine, and I could have reloaded, but I decided to start using the giffgaff sim for this trip since it was slightly cheaper for a similar amount of data and because I can keep the same number as long as I reload every 6 months as @CaliforniaGirl09 mentioned (EE was 3 months). It’s been working great since I got here on Aug 17, and I’ve had plenty of data. DH used the other one we had ordered for a trip in July, and it worked great as well. So I am now a fan.

UGH I'm so annoyed. Went into Tmobile yesterday to switch from Verizon. They are giving $200 per line (on Visa gift cards) to switch, so great, we'll net $400 from that. Then, that doesn't stop us from taking advantage of the trade in for new phones... so $800 each to trade in our XRs for new 14 Pro Max. BUTTTT I didn't even think of this.... we are unexpectedly in the process of buying a new house, and I didn't even think that they would need to run our credit just to switch. For the new phones, since it goes as "financing" and credits on the bill, sure, but we were going to hold off on the phones til after closing, and just switch for now. Just for a post paid bill, they said they need to run your credit. So we're stuck with Verizon now for the next month or so... and I also can't get a new card for the MSR :( I'll have to wait, and that sucks cuz we will have the moving expenses, I have a wisdom tooth surgery coming up, a crown replacement, and other big expenses that could cover 1-2 spend requirements at least! so so sad.

Has anyone stayed in an Airbnb or B&B near Haleakala National Park in Maui that they would recommend?

I have already booked flights from BWI to HNL and I am looking for the return flight now. There is a flight available if I pay cash but not if I choose pay with Miles. Is there some way to get around that?

Last edited:
UGH I'm so annoyed. Went into Tmobile yesterday to switch from Verizon. They are giving $200 per line (on Visa gift cards) to switch, so great, we'll net $400 from that. Then, that doesn't stop us from taking advantage of the trade in for new phones... so $800 each to trade in our XRs for new 14 Pro Max. BUTTTT I didn't even think of this.... we are unexpectedly in the process of buying a new house, and I didn't even think that they would need to run our credit just to switch. For the new phones, since it goes as "financing" and credits on the bill, sure, but we were going to hold off on the phones til after closing, and just switch for now. Just for a post paid bill, they said they need to run your credit. So we're stuck with Verizon now for the next month or so... and I also can't get a new card for the MSR :( I'll have to wait, and that sucks cuz we will have the moving expenses, I have a wisdom tooth surgery coming up, a crown replacement, and other big expenses that could cover 1-2 spend requirements at least! so so sad.

Do you already have an amex and can you do a biz card there? Since it's generally a soft pull with them it's how people on r/churning have gotten a card in your situation when they couldn't wait.

I got the bonus in 2020 with the CSP so I’m not eligible for another right now. Once my DW and I can get the bonus again we’ll apply but until then I think we’ll take turns holding the CSR and double dipping on the $300 travel bonus.

How do you time your switching back and forth? DH has had his card since the beginning and I just PCed mine to a freedom unlimited. When would be the best time for him to downgrade and me to upgrade? Right after his annual fee hits?

It is interesting reading everyone's phone stories and preferences. We may eventually investigate switching but are lazy right now.

DH informed me this AM that he lost a crown/tooth last night and is probably looking at another implant. As retirees we have no dental insurance. So, he was just instantly approved for another CIU with a $6000 CL. Need to expedite it, can do that by SM I think. He does not have the greatest teeth and already has several implants. Sigh.

I'm so sorry - DH has bad teeth too. He doesn't have any implants yet, but way more crowns that "normal" teeth. DD2 also has bad teeth, so she's in for a lifetime of expense from them which I hate. She's in the process of getting her first implant - she has the fake retainer tooth while waiting for her gum to heal to put in the implant right now. She's just 24, so I really hate it for her :sad1:

I was able to get Verizon 5G at home. If you stop in, they can test your address and see if you are covered. My address in Barrington and my DD downtown were covered. I think they need to make sure you are in a good 5G location. I've had it for 2 months and it has worked great. $35/month or $25 on autopay. The speeds are great but I can't remember what exactly. We run 2 Tvs, 2 computers, ipads, phones, thermostat etc. No gamers here.

We stream Youtube TV in IL and FL. Weird note, apparently the Verizon signal must pick up Milwaukee as our YouTube TV location got mixed up. Talk about great customer service, YouTube TV help is amazing.
Do you have Verizon cell phones?
DH has his desktop and VOIP for work plus TVs, iPads, Xbox

@Crazed4DisneyinSC
Check with your mortgage banker. Ours was fine with DH applying for CSP mid process. I explained it was a good deal for $1000 bonus and he said wow that sounds too good to pass up. Lol

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I've played this out in spreadsheets a few ways, but it's always good to hear someone else's insight. :) If anyone wants to take a stab at this, here we go! We are hoping to do in Alaskan cruise in 2-3 years for a family of 5, and I'm wanting to start collecting points towards it. I'm not attached to any specific cruiseline, though I've heard good things about Princess. Here's what we currently have:

P1:
02/19 – Barclay Arrival +
05/21 – Chase Sapphire Preferred
Also has a Chase Freedom but it’s been 6 years. I don’t remember the exact open date anymore.

P2:
07/21 – Chase Sapphire Preferred
Also has a Discover it card, but it’s be 6-7 years as well.

We have a monthly spend of 2500ish. Neither of us own a business, so business cards are out. I was thinking of closing/downgrading one of the CSPs. I've heard good things about pairing a CSP with Freedom/Flex just for general point accrual. I've also heard good things about pairing Citi double cash + Citi Premier. If we go that route, I think we will downgrade both CSPs so we only have 1 annual fee card open.

I need a vacation idea for February 2023. Kids have school vacation the week of presidents day. We are in the greater Boston area and would like somewhere warm. I have lots of Marriott and Hyatt points and plenty of URs. I’ve been looking into Aruba, but can’t find anything good on points. Also we are a family of 5, which means a suite or two rooms. We are doing WDW in April so that’s out. Any suggestions?

I'm so sorry - DH has bad teeth too. He doesn't have any implants yet, but way more crowns that "normal" teeth. DD2 also has bad teeth, so she's in for a lifetime of expense from them which I hate. She's in the process of getting her first implant - she has the fake retainer tooth while waiting for her gum to heal to put in the implant right now. She's just 24, so I really hate it for her :sad1:
Aw poor DD. I inherited great teeth from my mom, but I think some of our kids are starting to have some issues. DD27 has some receding gum issues (dentist thinks she may brushed too hard in the past). DS 30 has had some cavities replaced recently. DH is 68 and had 4 implants before he retired 5 years ago, our dental insurance was never great but at least we had some and the flexible spending fund!

My only consolation is the 20,000 referral URs and 75,000 from the new card!

I did $6400 in Visa gift cards this week. I've converted all but $1400 of them to money orders. Just paid my tuition (my employer reimburses me once my final grade posts) but just paid cash for that ($7k) and next week I have to make Q3 tax payments (will take care of my new CIC MSR). My emergency saving is lower than it's been in ages:(

Should be closing in on 600k MSR with nothing to spend them on since I really don't see how I can work and go to school and travel besides visiting my parents. I am planning on a March 2024 Disney Cruise with DD since I should finish school that February. Then maybe a week in London with her that summer. Maybe I should cash out some of my URs to build a cushion.

How do you time your switching back and forth? DH has had his card since the beginning and I just PCed mine to a freedom unlimited. When would be the best time for him to downgrade and me to upgrade? Right after his annual fee hits?
Anytime I downgrade a card I do it right after the AF hits unless I need it to stay open a little while longer. I would do the upgrade and downgrade on the same day and ask for the upgraded card to be expedited so you always have a CSR.

Do you have Verizon cell phones?
DH has his desktop and VOIP for work plus TVs, iPads, Xbox

Check with your mortgage banker. Ours was fine with DH applying for CSP mid process. I explained it was a good deal for $1000 bonus and he said wow that sounds too good to pass up. Lol
We do have Verizon cell phones. Not sure if that matters or not.

I unexpectedly decided to book a cruise for 2023 because I found a great deal. It embarks in Miami and disembarks in Genoa, Italy. I have it on hold but the deposit is due on Monday. I need to figure out the travel insurance pronto before I paid the deposit.

DH has a Chase Sapphire Reserve. I think we can get travel cancelation and interruption if we charge the cruise to the card. I assume that when I book other parts of the trip (which I do not even have planned yet - we will want to do some traveling in Italy before flying home), we would still be covered for those.

I will want some sort of medical and evacuation insurance which I don't believe the CSR includes. Should I insure only the cruise portion of the trip? Or my entire trip? How can I do that if I do not even know when we plan to fly home yet?

My parents are elderly. If we need to fly home because of their health, does anything cover them?

Added complication, DH's Aunt and Uncle want to join us on the cruise but they will do their own thing post cruise. They want to piggy back on my planning. They have an extremely elderly Mother at home. I do no know how to advise them on the travel insurance part. I may need them to contact a travel insurance broker?

Any advice? ITA!!

ETA - I need to figure our airfare home from Italy. We are open to traveling around in Italy to find the best route to the States - mostly likely to JFK. Closest major airport to Genoa seems to be Milan. DH and I currently have a combined 736k URs to use for flights home. We are a party of 4 but I can ditch my adult daughters to economy class. Any help with finding best deal on airfare will be appreciated as well.

Last edited:
I unexpectedly decided to book a cruise for 2023 because I found a great deal. It embarks in Miami and disembarks in Genoa, Italy. I have it on hold but the deposit is due on Monday. I need to figure out the travel insurance pronto before I paid the deposit.

DH has a Chase Sapphire Reserve. I think we can get travel cancelation and interruption if we charge the cruise to the card. I assume that when I book other parts of the trip (which I do not even have planned yet - we will want to do some traveling in Italy before flying home), we would still be covered for those.

I will want some sort of medical and evacuation insurance which I don't believe the CSR includes. Should I insure only the cruise portion of the trip? Or my entire trip? How can I do that if I do not even know when we plan to fly home yet?

My parents are elderly. If we need to fly home because of their health, does anything cover them?

Added complication, DH's Aunt and Uncle want to join us on the cruise but they will do their own thing post cruise. They want to piggy back on my planning. They have an extremely elderly Mother at home. I do no know how to advise them on the travel insurance part. I may need them to contact a travel insurance broker?

Any advice? ITA!!

ETA - I need to figure our airfare home from Italy. We are open to traveling around in Italy to find the best route to the States - mostly likely to JFK. Closest major airport to Genoa seems to be Milan. DH and I currently have a combined 736k URs to use for flights home. We are a party of 4 but I can ditch my adult daughters to economy class. Any help with finding best deal on airfare will be appreciated as well.

The ins I've gotten before let's you pick the dates so you can start and end the coverage before and after your flights so the trip falls within the dates. This also helps should weather affect something on either end and you have to move up your dept or lengthen your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter