• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I am going to PC my almost 5 years old CSP to a CF card. Which one should I ask for and why? And will my UR’s remain on the new CF card? I also have a CIP and could move all of the UR points there if I need to. I have several doctors appointments and surgery coming up in my near future and would like a new card to use for the SUB. Going to apply for a new CSP.
P.S. Breast cancer sux.
Update: So I pc’ed my almost 5 years old CSP on 3/26/2024 to a CFU. Today I reapplied for a CSP and it says it’s under review. My last application was for a CIP on 1/14/2024 which was instantly approved. Should I have waited longer?

Okay, so once again, I'm cancelling a trip, but maybe not. I'll start by asking my question for those in the know w/ Hyatt in Cancun/PDC. Then I'll list all my options. I had 3 FNC booked at the Hideaway Royalton in Punta, but yesterday my pink eye was BAD and I started to get a sore throat. The urgent care Dr promised me he'd have me good to go tomorrow, but I had to cancel the room last night, and I wasn't hopeful. So I cancelled and then of course wake up today and feel 100% better! UGH. Of course I'm far from being 100% healthy, but I feel 100% better. And I'm hoping the meds keep helping!

Okay for Cancun Hyatt people, one of our options is using some URs. We have the option of 2 or 3 nights at the following;
Secrets in Playa Mujeres (I took the kids to Dreams next door last August) for 53k/nt.
Secrets Moxche in PDC for 45k/nt
Impression Moxche PDC for 58k/nt
Which would you suggestion?

Now for the person who truly wants to look at all my options and weigh in....there are 9. Loads look better for Cancun that Punta Cana. We had Punta booked back in Feb with the hope of seeing the whales, but didn't get on the flight. The main reason PC is still on the list is I can use the Marriott FNC, none of the properties in Cancun are low enough right now to use the FNC. My Marriott FNC expire in Nov 2024, our Hilton FNC expire Jan 2025 and I'd have to transfer URs to Hyatt, I only have 87k hyatt right now (I have 650k URs, not sure how many the BF has). And I have like 750k Honors points. Ideally we're going to try for Punta next Feb for whale season. Direct flights from Delta are only in the winter months, so I think this is the last month you can go direct till late Dec.

Option 1 - Hideaway Royalton Punta Cana - 3 FNC + 21k pts (I had it booked for NO extra pts but cancelled....wahhh!) Adults Only!
Option 2- Cancun Hilton PDC (our fav) using either 1 or 2 FNC (if we stay 2 or 3 nights) + 183k no matter (middle of the stay). Big perk, Adults ONLY!
Option 3- Tulum Hilton AI - 2 FNC + 100k (if we stay 3 nights) not adults only
Option 4- Hilton AI (in downtown Cancun) - 2 FNC +100k (if we stay night 3) not adults only
Option 5- Hilton Caribe Cancun(mixed reviews) - 1 FNC + 172k or 2 FNC + 172k OR 1 FNC + 172k + $160 (employee rate, I have $100 in GC too!) not adults only
Option 6- Secrets Cap Cana (Punta Cana) - 44k/nt
Option 7 - Secrets in Playa Mujeres (I took the kids to Dreams next door last August) for 53k/nt
Option 8 - Secrets Moxche in PDC for 45k/nt
Option 9 - Impression Moxche PDC for 58k/nt

Overall my thought is "saving" the Hilton FNCs because we have so many months to still use them. Worst case scenario we'll use the Marriott FNC for Vegas since MGM was just added before Nov. OR I'll take the kids to Mexico this summer (there are some dates I could use them and top off). But I also hoard my URs, LOL. But I know I can earn more of those pretty easy. So what would you do? We'll either go Sat-Tues (6-9) or Sat-Mon (6-8), or Sun-Tues(7-9), LOL.

HELP!!!!!
Have you looked at the Conrad Tulum? It's pretty new and looks gorgeous. They have availability for the base room for the next few nights. That would be my pick!

Last edited:
The letter that accompanies the gift card states that they can used at on-property restaurants and retail shops, spas & golf courses, and charges to your room.
Darn! I wish I would have known this in Q-1 as I just missed out on three $50 gift cards :(. How clever of them to announce it at the end of March.

Thanks everyone for any input you have given my on Europe 2025 Tour: Here are the 3 Tours we are deciding between. Would be May/June 2025. Me, DH, Brother and SIL and Probably DS25 and DD22. All of them include Breakfasts and some Dinners as well as tours. Staying 2 days at most place. Sorry this is so long - seems these all get good reviews - just seeing if anyone has any input on the different stops or travel companies.

Tour 1 - Collette Tours - Exploring the Alpine Countries 11 days/10 nights (Germany, Austria, Switzerland
)
Day 1: Arrive Vienna
Day 2 - Vienna
Day 3 - Vienna
Day 4 - Venna - Salzburg
Day 5 - Salzburg
Day 6 - Salzburg - Munich - Oberammergau
Day 7 - Oberammergau - Ettal - Oberammergau
Day 8 - Oberammergau - Black Forest
Day 9 - Black Forest - Freiburg - Black Forest
Day 10 - Black Forest - Zurich, Lucerne
Day 11 - Lucerne
Day 12 - Tour Ends

Tour 2 - Trafalgar - Imperial Europe 10 Days/9 Nights (Germany, Prague, Hungary, Austria)
Day 1 - Arrive Munich
Day 2 - Regensburg - Prague
Day 3 - Prague
Day 4 - Bratislava - Budapest
Day 5 - Budapest
Day 6 - Vienna
Day 7 - Vienna
Day 8 - Salzburg
Day 9 - Munich
Day 10 - Tour Ends

Tour 3 - Globus - Imperial Splendors -10 Days/9 Nights (Germany, Prague, Hungary, Austria)
Day 1 - Arrive Munich
Day 2 - Munich - Prague
Day 3 - Prague
Day 4 - Prague - Bratislava - Budapest
Day 5 - Budapest
Day 6 - Budapest - Vienna
Day 7 - Vienna
Day 8 - Vienna - Salzburg
Day 9 - Salzburg - Munich
Day 10 - Tour Ends

will you use the credit on a stay? or @LilSweetPeaPhoto mentoned, buy a gc and apply it to a booking? And you just buy it, and the credit shows up?
I haven't put things in motion yet, but I'm planning on using an FNC this summer at a full service Hilton and using the gift cards to cover food. Buy the gift card on the Hilton website with the Hilton Surpass and they'll charge you $51.95. Later in a few days to a week, Amex will credit $50.

I will be calling to assure myself that the in hotel restaurant is run by Hilton, so that I can charge to the room. I've run into a situation with a Marriott property where the restaurant was independent.

Hi All! I'm a long-time lurker, very infrequent poster in the CC threads. We're planning a couple of domestic trips this year (including a trip to Disney) and a month-long trip to Europe summer 2025.

I just applied and was approved for an Amex Platinum card...yes, yes, I know, I broke the cardinal rule of asking first, but I could not pass up the 150K offer. Apologies!

I need advice on what to do with my other cards, whether to get an additional Platinum card for DH (or let him apply for his own), how to best reach the $8K spend required, and how to maximize those points once I get them.

I've had these cards for 15-20 years:
BOA Customized Cash World Mastercard
CITI Custom Cash Card
Barclay's Banana Republic rewards
AMEX Macy's Star rewards
AMEX Blue cash Everyday

These are more recent:
06/17 - CHASE Disney Premier Visa -- Should I downgrade since I don't use it much?
03/20 - AMEX Delta Skymiles Gold -- Should I downgrade since I don't use it much?
11/22- CHASE Freedom Flex
06/23 - CHASE Sapphire Preferred -- this one and FF are the cards I use regularly
04/24 - AMEX Platinum

My DH has:
?? - BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards
2017 - CHASE Disney Visa
2019 - CHASE Slate
05/23 - CHASE Sapphire Preferred

• What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly? We put all our expenses on our cards, except housing, car payments, and school tuition
  • Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest? We pay all cards in full every month
  • What airport(s) do you typically fly out of? ATL / FLL / MIA
  • Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program? Have been a loyal Delta costumer for many years, but not as much anymore, still have some Skymiles saved
  • Does SOUTHWEST Airline service your airport? Yes
  • Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference? World of Hyatt
  • Do you currently have travel points or miles in any program? Yes, about 100K URP combined
  • What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? domestic and international travel mentioned above
  • When do you plan to take these trips? Disney trip in May (already mostly covered with gift cards), trip to west coast in October, trip to Europe in 2025
  • Who does your travel party consist of? me, DH, DD (9), and DS (11).

Thanks for your help!

I would second the suggestions for the Cayman Islands or Belize. I haven't been to Belize, but would like to. We love, love, love the Kimpton Seafire in Grand Cayman. A new Hotel Indigo is opening next door at a cheaper points pricepoint. I think my signature has a how-to on buying points for cheap- would work for either of these properties.

Sorry for the delay- been on Spring/Easter break. Yes, I have successfully gotten mine extended. I do have Diamond status, so I'm not sure if that's why. But I would think they might consider it with your Platinum status. IHG is who you want to call- Chase has nothing to do with it. I would call the IHG Diamond line anyway 1-844-774-7300- it will probably get you a more experience rep and worst case they'll transfer you. I was just looking for a few day extension and she actually extended it through the end of the year. This DP is from the last few months.

I was in the same boat. I thought this would be a keeper card and really liked the 2x on everything, but I could never use the $300 credit on the portal without the price being grossly inflated. I found the car rental options to be nearly non-existent. I transferred points to Flying Blue. I believe there is a transfer bonus to Etihad right now, if you have any use for that. I called to cancel and it was painless. I believe they refund AF if canceled within 39 days, but don't quote me on that. She told me specifically on the phone.

FYI, the walk from 2E to 2F is very, very long, just in case anyone has mobility issues. If you are flying biz, definitely be sure to keep an eye out for the priority lanes for passport control- it will greatly help expedite things. Just under 2 hours at CDG isn't tight, but it isn't generous, in my opinion.
thank you
they have a transfer bonus to virgin, of course cap1 is p2 and the virgin account is in my name but I can open one in his. then use it for flights or cruise next year.

we ha
Don't have a Venture so can't answer that but could you book a SW flight through the portal and then cancel the SW flight but keep the credit in SW?

I can't remember if you are a fan of AA but right now Citi has a great SUB 75,000 miles for $3,500 MSR in 4 months.
have tons of AA miles and they haven't been worth using yet so holding on them! such first world problems

I tried for a week to get that 250k offer for P2 with no luck. Settled for the 190k offer since we have a new HVAC installation coming up that will take care of the MSR. [His last one was closed in 2019, and I got the popup when I tried a couple months ago.] Hope you have success with the 250k, it seems like the stars have to align just right for that to happen. Seriously, I read someone say they had four browsers open, and went from one wifi spot to another and another while traveling and kept refreshing the browsers, and they eventually got the offer.

If the choice is to use or lose the $300 travel credit, then buying airfare seems like a decent possibility. Typically flight credits expire a year from original booking (check with the airline you're considering) so go with an airline you'd likely use in the next year.

Both P2 and I have our $300 travel credits still to use. I don't find the car rental option very useful since I often do one-way car rentals and the Cap1 portal requires round trip. Hotels for road trips have been my go-to usage, trying to book hotels that are not in a chain that I'm trying to get elite night credits for. But in a pinch, I would pick airfare if I was coming up against a deadline with no travel plans.

I do have some big spend coming up (see my comment above) so I opened a 190K SUB Biz Plat for P2, and am trying to decide between a CIC/CIP 75K/100K SUB, Citi AAdvantage 75K SUB, and Surpass 155K SUB. Somehow both P2 and I are 1/24 so we have some room to run.

We really enjoyed our Belize trip in 2017, and mixed up the jungle & beach areas too, staying in San Ignacio at the beginning and Ambergris Caye at the end. We did a day trip to Tikal in Guatemala, and the ATM cave in Belize which were both really cool. We're not scuba divers, but we snorkel, and the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System is supposed to be great for diving/snorkeling. We'll hopefully be snorkeling in Roatan next week (on a cruise) and I just bought a new snorkel set with Rx lenses so I can see.
leaning towards cancelling. i have ihg, marriot and hilton for hotels already and am scared to try to use it to buy a united flight
just need to open a irin account for p2 and use their bonus to transfer

once that's done, I'll figure out next card for msr. DS is getting married in 2.5 weeks so a lot going on

Thanks everyone for any input you have given my on Europe 2025 Tour: Here are the 3 Tours we are deciding between. Would be May/June 2025. Me, DH, Brother and SIL and Probably DS25 and DD22. All of them include Breakfasts and some Dinners as well as tours. Staying 2 days at most place. Sorry this is so long - seems these all get good reviews - just seeing if anyone has any input on the different stops or travel companies.

Tour 1 - Collette Tours - Exploring the Alpine Countries 11 days/10 nights (Germany, Austria, Switzerland)
Day 1: Arrive Vienna
Day 2 - Vienna
Day 3 - Vienna
Day 4 - Venna - Salzburg
Day 5 - Salzburg
Day 6 - Salzburg - Munich - Oberammergau
Day 7 - Oberammergau - Ettal - Oberammergau
Day 8 - Oberammergau - Black Forest
Day 9 - Black Forest - Freiburg - Black Forest
Day 10 - Black Forest - Zurich, Lucerne
Day 11 - Lucerne
Day 12 - Tour Ends

Tour 2 - Trafalgar - Imperial Europe 10 Days/9 Nights (Germany, Prague, Hungary, Austria)
Day 1 - Arrive Munich
Day 2 - Regensburg - Prague
Day 3 - Prague
Day 4 - Bratislava - Budapest
Day 5 - Budapest
Day 6 - Vienna
Day 7 - Vienna
Day 8 - Salzburg
Day 9 - Munich
Day 10 - Tour Ends

Tour 3 - Globus - Imperial Splendors -10 Days/9 Nights (Germany, Prague, Hungary, Austria)
Day 1 - Arrive Munich
Day 2 - Munich - Prague
Day 3 - Prague
Day 4 - Prague - Bratislava - Budapest
Day 5 - Budapest
Day 6 - Budapest - Vienna
Day 7 - Vienna
Day 8 - Vienna - Salzburg
Day 9 - Salzburg - Munich
Day 10 - Tour Ends
I've been to most places listed, land and river cruise. I'm thinking #3 because you should get more time in each city. Budapest and Vienna are wonderful as is Prague

@EACarlson
Jealous of this. Used AA returning from Spring Break. MCO to ORD was 35,500 miles. Used SW on the way there but SW was over 50k miles pp on the return. 😱
How far out did you look at AA fares? From what I've found when using AA on points, you have to book very early or else the points cost is crazy, or the connections are ridiculous.

Hi All! I'm a long-time lurker, very infrequent poster in the CC threads. We're planning a couple of domestic trips this year (including a trip to Disney) and a month-long trip to Europe summer 2025.

I just applied and was approved for an Amex Platinum card...yes, yes, I know, I broke the cardinal rule of asking first, but I could not pass up the 150K offer. Apologies!

I need advice on what to do with my other cards, whether to get an additional Platinum card for DH (or let him apply for his own), how to best reach the $8K spend required, and how to maximize those points once I get them.

I've had these cards for 15-20 years:
BOA Customized Cash World Mastercard
CITI Custom Cash Card
Barclay's Banana Republic rewards
AMEX Macy's Star rewards
AMEX Blue cash Everyday

These are more recent:
06/17 - CHASE Disney Premier Visa -- Should I downgrade since I don't use it much?
03/20 - AMEX Delta Skymiles Gold -- Should I downgrade since I don't use it much?
11/22- CHASE Freedom Flex
06/23 - CHASE Sapphire Preferred -- this one and FF are the cards I use regularly
04/24 - AMEX Platinum

My DH has:
?? - BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards
2017 - CHASE Disney Visa
2019 - CHASE Slate
05/23 - CHASE Sapphire Preferred

• What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly? We put all our expenses on our cards, except housing, car payments, and school tuition
  • Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest? We pay all cards in full every month
  • What airport(s) do you typically fly out of? ATL / FLL / MIA
  • Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program? Have been a loyal Delta costumer for many years, but not as much anymore, still have some Skymiles saved
  • Does SOUTHWEST Airline service your airport? Yes
  • Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference? World of Hyatt
  • Do you currently have travel points or miles in any program? Yes, about 100K URP combined
  • What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? domestic and international travel mentioned above
  • When do you plan to take these trips? Disney trip in May (already mostly covered with gift cards), trip to west coast in October, trip to Europe in 2025
  • Who does your travel party consist of? me, DH, DD (9), and DS (11).

Thanks for your help!
:welcome: ….if you want a Platinum card for DH… have him apply for his own from your support link or the public offer whichever gives you the most points

As far as the other cards…
would downgrade the Disney to the no fee card since you don’t use it much
Not a Amex expert but I believe the gold is the lowest fee Delta card and there isn’t a no fee version so if you don’t use it for the free bags I’d cancel

I had a $15 off $49 at Chewy offer on my CSR and CFs today.

Yesterday my mom had two Saatva mattresses delivered. My SIL had gotten Delta (I think) to refund their plane tickets from August when my dad got sick. So she used the $4,000 credit to buy new mattresses. I slept so much better (the mattresses we replaced were probably 35 years old). Today I think I'm going to get her to apply for a Platinum (I did see a link from DOC and on her IPad it pulled up a 125,000 MR offer) then I'll figure out the rest with my dad's card but it seems like downgrading then closing makes the most sense. I'll probably have her cash out of the MRs just to be safe.

That surprises me, AA miles have been huge for me this year. I've got my little airport to MCO for 12k RT. Cash price is $550. That's 4.5 cpp.
How far out did you look at AA fares? From what I've found when using AA on points, you have to book very early or else the points cost is crazy, or the connections are ridiculous.
Same, I get crazy good value out of AA miles. My little regional airport which is 10 minutes away has an AA presence, and their rates are often cheaper than going to the bigger city airport, so we try to fly out of there most often instead of CLT. We got flights to GJT for a Moab trip for only 7.5k miles each, one way, only 1 connection in DFW. We do tend to book our trips immediately once the window is released (11 months out); maybe that's why the value is so good. We've also gotten cheap flights to NYC at the last minute, for like 12k roundtrip, nonstop.

Another amex question: can I downgrade the blue cash preferred to the regular AF free blue cash after a year?

ETA: reddit says yes

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter