I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used your link, but it may be too early to thank me. On further review, I'm afraid DH made me an authorized user on more cards than I'd realized. I'm fixing this now but I'm afraid I'm currently at 5/24 so I'm probably going to be denied. I'm going to make SURE I'm removed from all DH's accounts and then try again. Is there a certain period of time a person should wait between being denied for a card and applying again?

I came back from Spring Break and the CIP was waiting in my mailbox for me! So I guess I miscounted on the 5/24 thing, or something.

I also have a question. My SPG signup bonus finally posted. I had the offer where you get 25,000 points for a $5000 spend, so I called about getting it switched to the 35,000 points offer. The guy I talked to didn't seem very well-informed. He didn't know what offers they were running, and when he looked it up he seemed perplexed that apparently they were offering two different bonuses at the same time. I explained that I had signed up when only the 25,000 points offer was available and that I would like to take advantage of the 35,000 offer. He put me on hold for a while and when he came back he told me that he had lodged a complaint on my behalf and that I should hear from someone "at some point." He couldn't give me a time frame for when to expect a call. I think I need to call back, but do you guys have any advice for what i should say? I can't remember who it was, but I know someone here called and was given the extra 10,000 points without needing to spend any more. I would love to have that happen to me, but I don't know if it's a YMMV kind of thing, so I want to know if there's a specific way I should frame my "request."

I haven't looked at the kinds of spend you're talking about, but I did see that with Amex the kinds of payments you can do with Plastiq are much more limited. We have some home improvement stuff coming up, and it looks like we can't use Plastiq to pay the contractor using an Amex. Not sure how rigid the limitations are, but as I recall it was a pretty short list of vendor types.

Paying contractors is not a restricted industry category on Amex cards. I don't know if you're concerned about Amex's new restriction against P2P payments, but Plastiq is not a P2P service, and payments to contractors are to businesses not other persons.

@wendow Starbucks is apparently giving Gold Status to anyone who places an order today. So even though your family missed out on the other deal, if they aren't gold yet they could get there today and then you'll all be set up for free drinks during the next promo.
DoC Article

Other than getting my green level birthday reward each year, I just have never been able to make the Starbucks promos work for me. We only do Starbucks about 10-12 times a year.

And I have a Starbucks within walking distance of me. And I like Starbucks coffee and drinks. I just think their program is way too restrictive.

If the program was easier, I would buy more drinks. There's one in my target and in my grocery store and a stand alone store near me, plus at Disney and everywhere I go. But, the program doesn't work for me so every time I get stars they expire. I think the expiry thing is what gets me.

With cip i get 3x on utilities so will it matter if i pay through my village or plastiq

The CIP's 3x bonus categories are: (1) travel, (2) shipping purchases, (3) Internet, cable and phone services, and (4) advertising purchases. Category #3 doesn't usually include utilities in the broader sense, e.g., gas, electric, water, trash. Moreover, your gas and electric utility might not accept Amex cards when paid directly.

Hmmm - a little concerned. My first CIP statement just came out - I did meet the $5k spend before the statement closed (new purchases >5K, not including annual fee - thanks to work travel!), but no bonus points on the statement. Spend was met with transactions that posted 4 days before the end of the statement cycle. Is there more of a delay with business cards before you get the bonus points?

You may have cut it too close to the end of your statement.

Hmmm - a little concerned. My first CIP statement just came out - I did meet the $5k spend before the statement closed (new purchases >5K, not including annual fee - thanks to work travel!), but no bonus points on the statement. Spend was met with transactions that posted 4 days before the end of the statement cycle. Is there more of a delay with business cards before you get the bonus points?
You probably just missed the cutoff to get them on that statement. They should show pending soon though and should post with your next statement :)

Now I'm tempted to refer Dh to the biz ....but I'm thinking I won't be able to hit that spend again,and still max out my categories on the other cards starting in April..... did you say my chances at getting the extra 5k points for another 2k spend was slim to none? I may call in later today....

Are you asking about the SPG Biz?

If so, doesn't hurt to call in and "express your deep frustration" about seeing the increased offer after you just got your card, or something along these lines:

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/814i13/data_points_central_thread_week_of_march_01_2018/dv36m0i/
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/824xhs/daily_discussion_thread_march_05_2018/dv8czq5/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-854#post-58902697

The above DPs got 10k courtesy points with no additional spend.

A few days after this, I saw another DP that said Amex offered something less (like 3k, 5k, or 7k Starpoints?).

Good luck!

Last edited:
I came back from Spring Break and the CIP was waiting in my mailbox for me! So I guess I miscounted on the 5/24 thing, or something.

I also have a question. My SPG signup bonus finally posted. I had the offer where you get 25,000 points for a $5000 spend, so I called about getting it switched to the 35,000 points offer. The guy I talked to didn't seem very well-informed. He didn't know what offers they were running, and when he looked it up he seemed perplexed that apparently they were offering two different bonuses at the same time. I explained that I had signed up when only the 25,000 points offer was available and that I would like to take advantage of the 35,000 offer. He put me on hold for a while and when he came back he told me that he had lodged a complaint on my behalf and that I should hear from someone "at some point." He couldn't give me a time frame for when to expect a call. I think I need to call back, but do you guys have any advice for what i should say? I can't remember who it was, but I know someone here called and was given the extra 10,000 points without needing to spend any more. I would love to have that happen to me, but I don't know if it's a YMMV kind of thing, so I want to know if there's a specific way I should frame my "request."
Yeah - you probably need to call back. My guess is AMEX will never call you back. I’d just remain firm (and polite) and if they offer to “lodge a complaint” tell them you want to speak to a manager/escalate the call.

Replied to an earlier post on this same issue before I saw yours (see above): https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-972#post-58970004

I'd keep calling back and try to get a more knowledgeable and sympathetic rep, or as @SouthFayetteFan suggested escalate the call to a manager/supervisor.

Congrats on your CIP!! I bet that was a nice surprise to come home to!

For the spg card, I'd call back and ask again. @Lain posted some DP's above.

I noticed that my bonus SPG referral points from DH applying thru my link posted to my account BEFORE he ever received the actual card in the mail. Like, three days before his card arrived.

Sounds about right, SPG support bonuses post in about 3 days, the card gets to you by snail mail in about 7-8 days.

I can't remember who it was, but I know someone here called and was given the extra 10,000 points without needing to spend any more. I would love to have that happen to me, but I don't know if it's a YMMV kind of thing, so I want to know if there's a specific way I should frame my "request."

Replied to an earlier post on this same issue before I saw yours (see above): https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-972#post-58970004

I'd keep calling back and try to get a more knowledgeable and sympathetic rep, or as @SouthFayetteFan suggested escalate the call to a manager/supervisor.

Yes, I was the DP here (and posted to reddit as well since I gave it a try after I read a comment over there stating they got the 10K courtesy points, but that user called 3x and got it on the third call whereas I got extremely lucky and got it my first try). @Lain provided the link to my original post, but my comments to the rep when I called were:

Said I applied for the card at the beginning of the year, was told by someone who just got the card that they are getting a new offer, so I checked the website and saw a higher bonus. Told the rep I was planning on continuing to use the card, but will likely stop if they can't match the offer since I felt I wasn't being treated the same as a new customer getting a better offer for the same amount of purchases. She said "rest assure, we will try to make this right", put me on hold, and came back to offer me 10K just outright since I already met the spend and was a longtime custy. Should see the points very soon and offered her rep number as a reference if I didn't see it.

I didn't have to mentioned I was a longtime custy because the rep seemed to be able to pull up the length of my relationship with Amex (reminded me it was 9 years lol :rotfl:) Granted Lain said he noticed others recently getting fewer points, but courtesy points are courtesy points nonetheless. I got lucky and received 10K without any additional spend, but was expecting more like 3K maybe at the time. I was preparing to have to HUCA, but instead pixiedust:. Hope it works for you on the second call! No harm in doing so and hope you get a better rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter