I mean at this point, why is anyone buying direct?

There is no such thing as a victimless crime.....
And make no mistake, a cast member giving away unearned discounts is a crime...
LOL, this is a billion dollar company that could train its own employees -- if it actually cared about this issue. It isn't my job to explain to a frontline Disney employee the dozen flavors of DVC that they invented and won't track. There are plenty of solutions, Disney just uses none of them.

Exactly. It's not about wanting to punish others or whatever. It's about rules being enforced and people getting the discounts they are actually entitled to. These same people who got their discount despite not qualifying for it will complain about ticket and annual pass prices increasing and hotel prices increasing.
Not me

I am also not sure “not qualifying” is accurate. I told my wife we did not qualify as DVC owners in front of the CMs and she still received a discount.

There could be any number of reasons they gave a discount and as Sandi posted. Maybe next time we don’t get them.

Not me

I am also not sure “not qualifying” is accurate. I told my wife we did not qualify as DVC owners in front of the CMs and she still received a discount.

There could be any number of reasons they gave a discount and as Sandi posted. Maybe next time we don’t get them.
If a CM decides to give them at their discretion, I'm not the type of person to try and gatekeep these discounts. It's not my job to. Nor do I really care tbh. But its the people who intentionally are dishonest trying to get sorcerer passes or find loopholes despite knowing they don't qualify are infuriating.

Last edited:
As a previous retail worker it would not surprise me that a line worker could give discounts. Many times it is a quick and easy way to have problems go away. Discounts can also lead to more spending overall and my wife is a perfect example of that.
That authority usually vest in a key holder or supervisor….

If you are saying any front line worker had the power to give anyone a discount, I’ll starting asking more often at check out ….

Having also worked in retail, only the company supervisors and managers could issue a discount, and then after the had to submit supporting documentation…..

But its the people who intentionally are dishonest try to get sorcerer passes or loopholes despite knowing they don't qualify are infuriating.
When APs reopened and you had to activate them at guest services, I got behind one of these people. It was so infuriating especially considering the line was a mile long and they only had two cast members working at the TTC.

LOL, this is a billion dollar company that could train its own employees -- if it actually cared about this issue. It isn't my job to explain to a frontline Disney employee the dozen flavors of DVC that they invented and won't track. There are plenty of solutions, Disney just uses none of them.

If only there was this initiative that they spent ten of millions of dollars on called My Disney Experience that could solve such an issue. 🤣

Some of this gets so silly. I remember the argument years ago when some people were mad that others would go fill up coffee at the QS place because it's not chipped. The argument was that they were "stealing" from Disney, even though Disney pays more to give you the same coffee in your room for free (DVC members, that is), and if Mousekeeping didn't have a pack of coffee handy at time if you needed one, they would actually direct you to the coffee at the drink station...

Some of this gets so silly. I remember the argument years ago when some people were mad that others would go fill up coffee at the QS place because it's not chipped. The argument was that they were "stealing" from Disney, even though Disney pays more to give you the same coffee in your room for free (DVC members, that is), and if Mousekeeping didn't have a pack of coffee handy at time if you needed one, they would actually direct you to the coffee at the drink station...
We buy the refillable mugs but my husband and I don't like the "coffee" smell that is so difficult to remove from them. One day, while he had his mug in his hand, he asked the cashier for a small cup for coffee instead of using his mug. The lady rang up the coffee cup and he paid for it-he had both our refillable mugs in his hand. I know some places keep a tally of their disposable cups but I got a cup for chocolate milk one morning for my grandson. I think this was at POFQ.

We usually stay DVC and he uses the coffee mugs in the room for the coffee, but we also buy the mugs because they change them so often.

That authority usually vest in a key holder or supervisor….

If you are saying any front line worker had the power to give anyone a discount, I’ll starting asking more often at check out ….

Having also worked in retail, only the company supervisors and managers could issue a discount, and then after the had to submit supporting documentation…..
You could be correct. The people we dealt with at the shops might have been keyholders or managers. I never asked and really could not tell you based on their appearance.

That reminds me we more than made up for our lucky discounts by buying 2 of those cups and then having my daughter and granddaughter never use them any buy drinks everywhere else.

The gall of people who either paid $500+ per night or $15,000+ for a DVC contract expecting to get free, water-downed coffee at a "deluxe" Disney Resort.

What do they think this is the Holiday Inn? 🤣

We buy the refillable mugs but my husband and I don't like the "coffee" smell that is so difficult to remove from them. One day, while he had his mug in his hand, he asked the cashier for a small cup for coffee instead of using his mug. The lady rang up the coffee cup and he paid for it-he had both our refillable mugs in his hand.

Ask for a water cup next time.

I think we can all agree that there are people out there who know they should not get discounts and phrase it in a way that the CMs give it.

There are others out there who are honest and still get them because CMs decide to pixie dust the guest

There are CMs who are well trained…seems to be the ones I get…lol…who know the rules and follow them.

There are CMs who are not well trained and just don’t know.

In the end, it’s up to DVD and Disney to make sure that the program rules are followed.

Maybe we can move to other aspects of direct in line with the topic of the thread!

DVC discount it too convoluted. How are CMs who are often short term or changing roles to understand the intricacies on top of all the other important job details to know and follow. Ends up low on totem of importance.

At some point I think Disney will bypass the need to understand DVC tiers for properly applied discounts. If blue card was their answer it’s clearly not working. Think about what a CM is faced with. If they haven’t wrapped their head around direct owners, new resale owners, old resale owners and who falls where, do they really want to risk giving guests a hard time for something they’re uncertain? I have a feeling many think being able to pull up in the wallet means discount.

So back to Disney and where this falls on their totem of importance. Their own IT applies discounts to several enchanted extras across the board, blue and white card. Probably other examples of this. They could invest to rectify with more CM training or IT upgrades. Maybe Disney doesn’t bother because the discount comes from DVC marketing budget and they’ll happily take the increase in sales the discounts cause? Maybe it’s DVC who needs to care more. Do they realize? Are they fully aware and in the process of correcting? Are they indifferent because it’s not affecting the bottom line enough to pay for a solution?

The gall of people who either paid $500+ per night or $15,000+ for a DVC contract expecting to get free, water-downed coffee at a "deluxe" Disney Resort.

What do they think this is the Holiday Inn? 🤣

Ask for a water cup next time.
lol....$15000

We are DVC members. I don't understand why they charge for coffee anyway. Most hotels have the "free" coffee in addition to the coffee shop where you purchase overpriced coffee/beverages. I only drink black coffee and as long as it doesn't taste stale or too strong then I'm good.

I like to supplement our Disney trips with stays at POFQ, CL @ GDT, or rent another member's points. So, in the scheme of things, the price of coffee is a drop in the pot.

I did tell my husband that we needed to find those baby bottle liners for the mugs so that they won't smell like coffee.

You could be correct. The people we dealt with at the shops might have been keyholders or managers. I never asked and really could not tell you based on their appearance.
they used to say "dress for the job you want, not the one you got"
now they say ....."I'm wearing gym clothes to work today"

DVC discount it too convoluted. How are CMs who are often short term or changing roles to understand the intricacies on top of all the other important job details to know and follow. Ends up low on totem of importance.

At some point I think Disney will bypass the need to understand DVC tiers for properly applied discounts. If blue card was their answer it’s clearly not working. Think about what a CM is faced with. If they haven’t wrapped their head around direct owners, new resale owners, old resale owners and who falls where, do they really want to risk giving guests a hard time for something they’re uncertain? I have a feeling many think being able to pull up in the wallet means discount.

So back to Disney and where this falls on their totem of importance. Their own IT applies discounts to several enchanted extras across the board, blue and white card. Probably other examples of this. They could invest to rectify with more CM training or IT upgrades. Maybe Disney doesn’t bother because the discount comes from DVC marketing budget and they’ll happily take the increase in sales the discounts cause? Maybe it’s DVC who needs to care more. Do they realize? Are they fully aware and in the process of correcting? Are they indifferent because it’s not affecting the bottom line enough to pay for a solution?
DVC "y". seems pretty simple
but I would be fine with the digital card being a scalable QR code

DVC "y". seems pretty simple
but I would be fine with the digital card being a scalable QR code
The Y does seem simple but not memorable enough apparently. I think the concept gets drowned for those with only a vague understanding of DVC.

QR code does seem like a viable solution.

The Y does seem simple but not memorable enough apparently. I think the concept gets drowned for those with only a vague understanding of DVC.

QR code does seem like a viable solution.
I mean, was there a huge issue with just checking the Blue Card and then an ID? Pretty simple...

DISCOUNT "y" or "n"
We understand this.

It’s a little harder to grasp when unaware the distinctions lie within a membership. A small but vital detail. Thinking defaults to yes/no DVC member. Got the card right in their little wallet. How is a member not a member?

We understand this.

It’s a little harder to grasp when unaware the distinctions lie within a membership. A small but vital detail. Thinking defaults to yes/no DVC member. Got the card right in their little wallet. How is a member not a member?
this comes back to training
yes you get a discount
no you dont
Notice I said DISCOUNT
I didn't say DVC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter