I need help decorating a hallway that dead ends...

shopn24seven

DIS Veteran
Doors to the left, doors to the right and at the end, the hallway ends.
Know what I mean? Shaped like a long rectangle
Should I hang a painting or a mirror on that wall? There isn't enough room, due to the bedroom doors, to put a small half circle table, so my options are few...
I am listing my house w in a few months and trying to make it not seem so BLAND. LOL.

I would hang a mirror and maybe put a small bookcase underneath?? Put a nice flower arrangement on top and a couple books and knick knack and that will look nice! It also may make it look not like a dead end=) Good luck!!:thumbsup2

A mirror always extends space. Think about lighting too. It there a way to put a small candle set on sconces and use electric candles that flicker, the 3" ones?

On a wall like that will a full length look ok for last minute hem checks and all?

A month ago I think it was QVC had the joy gal that makes huggable hangers, a tri-fold mirror. They fold into one flat image and then open out.

I don't know how outdated ceiling spot light is, on a painting would give interest and also light a picture.

There are several stagers out there now, maybe a google to see if tips are on the Inet.
di

I have a dead end hall like that and here's what I did:

I hung a mustard gold velvet valance with matching mustard gold beaded trim hanging about 3 inches away from the wall and just right up to the ceiling. I used a tension rod to do this (from Walmart)

Then I hung a decorative rectangular mirror (you know the kind with fancy window panes in it? I got it from Ballard Designs outlet, but you can probably get one from Marshalls, the Home Store, etc.) on the wall below it.

Then I put stone blocks that I got on clearance from Lowes and plywood inbetween them to make book shelves for paperbacks and there are some dvds there too. I've got two shelves and with a row of books directly on the floor, that makes three levels of books. You don't really notice the plywood. Your eye goes more to the whole thing.

I wish I could figure out how to post a picture here. It looks much nicer than it sounds.

My DFIL has a hallway like yours and he has a full length mirror at the end of it. I think a smaller, more decorative mirror would look nicer, but he's not into decorating. It definitely opens up the area and creates an illusion of lots of space. I like Luvmickey's suggestion if you have the space for it. If you have Kirkland's Home stores where you live, they have a great selection of items that you could utilize there.

I'm going to move this over to the Creative Community's Home Interiors Subforum. I'm sure that someone will have more ideas for you. :)

I vote for a mirror too - it always helps to make things look more grand. If you absolutely don't have room for any sort of table or shelving, you could perhaps hang some vases or candles/sconces on the wall on each side to dress it up. Or even do a large decorative vase or urn on the floor in front of the mirror with some fake flowers or tall grass/branch type arrangement. Good luck with the home sale too. :goodvibes

OMG! That photo is very effective! I am a non smoker and it creeps ME out! I am watching this thread as I have the same issue..deadend hall, bedroom door one side/ hall bath door on the other...typical hall width, 3-4 feet, typical light fixture w/4 small 25 watt bulbs inside/zero budget! Tiime to go shopping IN the house FOR the house!
Napria, would LOVE to see a photo! I have a spare rod, a spare mirror, I do sew on occaision so I have moaterial, past draperies ( read pack rat :p )
would love to see everyones solutions to this...I love out of the box solutions, but to convince DH that I am not a loon, I need pic's to show him others have done it and it looks nice!

I will post a picture if I can figure out how to post it from my computer. When I click on the "insert photo" icon it wants to look at a URL. I don't have my pics on Flickr or anything. Not to hijack this thread, but if anyone can tell me how, I'll post the pic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter