I need ideas for a Fifties dance costume!

Wishing on a star

DIS Veteran
I think I have decided to go as Sock Hop girl, and not Greaser girl.
I have found a flared skirt that I can put a poodle-dog on. And a basic 1950's style button down sweater, where I would just button the top button. It is a silver-gray with diamond buttons. in the Hallloween stuff, I picked up some cheap plastic 1950's cat-eye glasses... Black with big diamond/crystals on the outer edge corners. They are cute! But I will have to pop the lenses out, and go blind if I am wearing these instead of my regular Rx glasses.

DH tells me that some of the ladies might really go all out.
I don't want to over-do it and go too silly, but I realize I might need to really jazz this up!

I have med-long length hair, and I might look for an inexpensive hairpiece to do a huge ponytail.

Since it is this time of year, I am thinking about a big fake red rose or ribbon Holiday corsage.

Do any of you have any ideas?

Thanks!

A scarf around your neck or tied on your pony tail? I think I've seen 50's girls wear those.
Saddle shoes would be cute

My daughter went as a 50's housewife. She had on puff tulle skirt, small heels, 50's style shirt and an apron. ETA: she wore apearl bracelet and necklace

I did pick up a long string of fake pearls at a thrift shop. Should make about three strands around my neck.

Ohhh, the little sweater is a silver-gray with a little sparkle running thru it.
I forgot to mention the sparkle!

https://www.payless.com/womens-pred..._Q-_NXhsuaUwgOZvARQaAh17EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds Payless sells adult saddle shoes. We bought them for my daughter one year and they were very cute.

I would never go blind to wear the glasses.. but I guess it depends how much you need them.

She had long hair so we did a high pony with a scarf in her hair and one around her neck. I just made the skirt out of felt and it was very simple. I believe JoAnn's has the iron on poodle.

Have fun!

A scarf around your neck or tied on your pony tail? I think I've seen 50's girls wear those.
Saddle shoes would be cute

I second the scarf and saddle shoes - and don't forget the turned-down socks with ruffles or lace!

If you are wearing a flared skirt, a crinoline is necessary. Otherwise, the effect is gone. 9 yards of tulle is commonly used to make a crinoline.

Peddle pushers were worn with saddle shoes and of course bobby sox with the cuff folded down. Often a button up sweater was worn backwards too, but not a heavy cardigan. Back then they wore thin cardigans . If it is worn with a matching thin sweater underneath, it was called a "twin set" . If you wear the scarf around your neck, put the knot to the side to indicate you are not available, or center it to let the guys know you are available.

Last edited:

Okay, I think I am getting closer!
I couldn't find any reasonably priced saddle-shoes. Just the full price ones commonly seen online that people buy for costumes.
I did pick up a pair of second hand really pointy-toe kitten heel pumps. So cute! But, not 'fun' cute. (reminded me of what my MIL might have looked like back then... NOT what I wanted)
Guess what... I hadn't even seen these in Walmart, but I picked up a pair of Sparkle Ked look-alikes, and will lace them with bright red ribbon.
I never would have thought to double check Walmart first, and save some time and money!
I do have the very nice Loft brand sparkly silver/gray thin button down sweater. And the pearls.
I didn't know that about how the scarf was worn!!!!
I will probably wear them instead of a scarf around my neck. I am shorter a bit more stocky in stature, so I think the scarf would be too much. (and I hate to sweat with heavy stuff around my neck!)
I have not had my hair trimmed, and will do a high-pony with a big red ribbon that matches the one in the shoes.

Now I have to work on my Fifties dance moves!

If you want a different costume that will stand out, you could always go as an original Mouseketeer. White short-sleeve turtleneck with your name in block letters, a pleated skirt and Mickey ears.

I didn't know that about how the scarf was worn!!!!
I will probably wear them instead of a scarf around my neck. I am shorter a bit more stocky in stature, so I think the scarf would be too much. (and I hate to sweat with heavy stuff around my neck!)
The scarf is a light weight scarf that is a very thin material. Thinner than a bandana. And about that size but usually a solid color.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter