I need some ECV advice and help fast!!!

mom2smjn

Disneynut who married Disneyfreak and had Disneyki
Hello
We leave on Saturday the 6th with mom who just got an ECV(she has one that looks more like a chair than a scooter)

We are panicing over this trip now that it is almost here...I would love it if someone experienced could answer a few questions!!

1) Do you think it is safe for her to leave her ecv unattended on the rides where she can not use it(she is able to walk short distances so she can do a queue if needed) Her ecv does not have a key to remove, you just push the button to turn it on. My DH suggested personalizing it with stickers or whatever so it is easily identified is this a good idea?.

2) If she needs to plug it in at the parks where on earth can you do that?

3) She does not want to sit seperate from everyon else would it be better than for her to walk in rather than roll in to most attractions?

4) What type of things should we be prepared for that "newbie" ECVers may not expect?

Also any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

:wave2:

Welcome to disABILITIES.

1. The first thing I would suggest is contact the store where she bought the ECV to see about getting a key switch installed. I am surprised it did not come with one. I have two keys for mine, one I carry on my regular key ring and the other I keep by itself on a fob. The one with the fob is my normal use key, the one on the key ring is a backup in case I somehow lose the one. I think that without a removeable key it could be dangerous to leave the ECV unattended.

I have both a Figment bicycle license plate and a Cheshire Cat sticker on the back of mine.

2. Normally she should not have to plug it in at the parks. Most ECVs I have seen are advertised with about a 25 mile range on a full charge. It is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that you would actually go more than 8 or 10 miles in a day and it only takes a few hours to fully recharge at night.

3. Most attractions the lines are "mainstreamed", so she would use the regular line with the ECV. If she has to use an "alternate entrance", normally they will allow a party size of six (the person in the chair/ECV and five others) to stay together.

4. I would suggest possibly do Epcot first; it tends to be much less crowded and larger walkways than the other parks. This will allow her a day to really get used to it.

I hope some of these help.

Your Mom probably has a power wheelchair and not an ECV. Does it have a joystick on the arm rest or a steering column where you use both hands? The power wheelchairs normally do not have a key because the useer is in it much of the time.
That said, I have not had any problem with leaving my wheelchair where the castmembers indicate after going through the line with it.
One way to keep people from going off with the PW is to disengage one of the 2 wheels so it will only go in circles.

You probably will not have to charge it in the parks. Normal range is 20-25 miles. If you do need to take care of that just ask a castmember where you can plug in and they will be glad to help. I will plug in during a sit down meal.

My wife has used an EVC for a number of years now at WDW. If not for that, we would have to stay home. She owns her own.

Although they can get good 'mileage', epcot is a bigger challenge.
But there are lots of places to plug in! We make a point of eating at the Japanese restraunt in EPCOT. There are a few around the elevator that she can park out of the way and recharge during our meal. I'm sure that a CM can point one our, but if you look, you'll see them everywhere.
In larger crowds, I'll walk in front to the side so that people don't cut her off passing directly in front without thinking.

We've had no problems leaving the EVC unattended.

If you are staying in a hotel room, on or off site, bring a section of extension cord with you as the plugs in the room may not reach the cord of the EVC

I agree your have a power wheelchair and not an ECV. My husband can go two days sometimes without a charge, just in case you ever do have problems, find out how to disengage it to make it pushable. Every once in a while you might find yourself having to push. But it's nice to know how to in case.

Also I would take a small extention cord or a multi plug (one of those things you can put in a socket to make 6 plugs instead of 2)with you. Sometimes I find that with all the plug in you need an extra socket. Camcorders, cell phones, rechargable batteries and wheelchairs, My DH uses a air matteress that needs to be plug in too.

I have made a bag that hangs on the back of the chair, comes in handi for sweatshirts, poncho, snacks and water. Nothing of value.
Is she planning on putting any type of cushion on the seat?
that will make it as being someones too.

Go have a good time, things will work out, they always do.

If she gets out of it and walks in line, it would be left with the strollers. I would not do that with something unless it had a key.
Besides that, some of the lines are deceptively long distances to walk. What looks like a short walk turns out to go round and round and you end up walking a long way. In addition, many rides are better boarded by someone with mobility problems at the exit. Some rides have steps in the rgeular queue and if there is a moving walkway, the CMs are able to slow or stop it at the exit, but not if you enter at the regular boarding area.

For the rides where you need to leave a wheelchair or ecv and board a ride vehicle, we have never had any problem leaving DD's wheelchair. You board at the exit and you exit at the same place, so the wheelchair is waiting when you get off.
For the shows where wheelchair seating is in the back, your whole party might not be able to sit with the person in the wheelchair, but at least some of your party would be able to stay together. In some shows, she might be able to park in the back and then get out to sit in the same row as the rest of your party. Ask the CM at each show. Usually, a party of 6 (5 plus the person with a wheelchair) can enter the wheelchair accessible entrance together, but there are times where that is not possible. So, be prepared if the CM says only 2 or 3 can go with her.
Making sure you know how to disengage it so it can be pushed is a good idea. The instruction book should tell you how to disengage and re-engage it.
We sometimes just disengage one side to disable DD's power wheelchair. Hers can't move unless both sides are either engaged (for power) or disengaged (for pushing). Others (like Lisa's wheelchair) might go in circles with only one side engaged. My DD's won't move at all by power or pushing with only one side disengaged and it displays a lot of blinking lights on the joystick controller. It's good to know what the light display looks like so if you see it that way at WDW, you won't get in a panic.
The instruction book should also give you some idea of the distance you can travel on one charge. It's usually expressed in miles or hours of use for a certain weight of person using the wheelchair. Hills take more power, so the charge will run out faster. Because my DD has a large battery and she only weighs 85 pounds, her power wheelchair can go for 4 or 5 days at home without charging. When we take it to WDW, we should be able to go one whole day on a charge easily.

You might take a plastic bag to fit over the hand controls to keep people from messing with them if you can't determine how to disengage the "accelerator'...and don't forget to take an extra poncho to cover the whole thing with ....a few rings affixed at intervals around the bottom of the cover would allow you to thread a small rope to cinch the cover up so it won't blow away in the wind. That would keep people off of it, too. I take mine and hate to leave it out with the strollers but covering it seems to protect it from all invasions...The only problem I had at an attraction was when I tried to leave Pirates of the Caribbean...The floor was too wet and slick to get any traction on the steep parts...Some nice boys behind me just pushed me out....
You'll be fine...Don't forget that the first aide stations can assist you in charging up, too.
Have fun...:Pinkbounc

Videogal,
What steep parts? There are no steep parts where the ECVs and PWs are left and this is the one ride you must switch to a manual wheelchair to go through the line as there is no way to get a ECV or PW across to the exit. If it is brought to you at the exit (rarely if ever done) it can be done by elevator so the moving walkway is no problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter