I really really really want to try a cruise, but...

If you book a cabin as close to midship AND as far down as possible you'll feel the least amount of motion as anywhere else on the ship. This, however, won't guarantee you won't get motion sick.

My mom struggles with seasickness and almost swore off cruising after a nasty experience for her. Overall, midship and lower decks are the best staterooms. Get one with at least a window (or a verandah), as looking out to the horizon can help your body 'adjust.'

What works for my mom: she started taking Bonine the night before our cruise. Last year she took it two hours before we sailed away, as the instructions said, and it did help with the seasickness but it made her terribly drowsy (like, falling asleep at Palo dinner drowsy). So she started the night before, let the drowsiness put her to sleep at a normal time, and it still worked. She also used scopolamine patches behind her ear starting the night before and changed them every few days per the directions.

We were deck 11 forward on this last cruise, so she was nervous that she'd feel more motion. She had one day where she felt a little dizzy (it was definitely rockier that day) but other than that, she was fine!

I get motion sick but not on boats. Even so when we went on our cruise over the summer I got seabands and ginger gum just in case. I didn't use the seabands on the ship, I was fine there however I did put on them briefly during an excursion where we were going on a winding road as that is a major trigger for me. The seabands seemed to help there.

Our cabin was on the second lowest level for cabins and mid-ship however I was also on a smaller ship with 600 passenger max capacity. We also did a Med cruise in the Adriatic Sea and the waters were all very calm about as calm as can be which helps. You could still feel the bobbing up and down a bit in the hallways of the cabin areas depending on the time but nothing really made me feel queasy.

I have taken Bonine before on our Disney trip in 2017 and it just made me very tired even non-drowsy formula and I don't think it really helped me.

A tip IMO is if you think you could get motion sick on the ship get a verandah room so you can get some fresh air there without having to go meander around the ship.

Candied ginger is very good for motion sickness. I get mine from Trader Joes ... we call it "Ginger Crack" it's so good. You can also try a transdermal patch for sea sickness. I had one for my very first cruise in the 1990's and our ship hit some really big swells and I was fine. I do get somewhat motion sick on small boats now, so I always pack some Dramamine and take it before an excursion. I was also motion sick the first time I rode Guardians but then I learned not to look at the planet in the center of the big circle the ride makes about 3/4s through the ride.

I would say that you should go ahead and try it. You may want to go when the seas are calmer and there are fewer storms.

I am very, very sensitive to motion. I look at the ocean and am seasick, airsick even before I get on a plane. My husband (Navy vet) and I went on the Fantasy and he laughed at me when I told him that we had just let the lines loo
se, we had not started any movement by the engines and the lines were still connected to the pier but there was no longer tension on them, he looked over the balcony and confirmed I was correct. I am that sensitive to motion. I have been this way all my life, most of the medications just put me to sleep and I miss everything. Seabands are wonderful, as soon as I placed them on each wrist the motion sickness was gone, not gonna disappear in a few hours/days after I get off the ship but gone. I have moved to ReliefBands, it give you an slight electric sensation on the inside of the wrist and can be adjusted if there is more and more motion. If I do not feel the tingling from the band I increase the intensity because I know that I am starting to feel motion sickness. Hope you find something that works for you and can enjoy cruising!!

My husband and son get horrible motion sickness in cars, theme park rides and small boats. None of those are an issue for me but I got horrifically seasick on my first cruise. I say this because you really can’t know if you’ll be seasick on a cruise until you try—it is a different kind of motion. Based on recommendations of many I tried bonine on my next cruise and my seasickness vanished and the bonine keeps it nonexistent unless I accidentally skip a dose. It’s over the counter and nondrowsy.

Both myself and my daughter are very very prone to motion sickness. We went on a dolphin boat and had our heads down trying not to throw up the whole time. We don't like rollercoasters. I can't do rides like star tours. I don't even like to be the passenger in a car if the ride is long.

Went on our first DCL last September and chose an indoor stateroom midship deck 2 because I read that was best. I brought Dramamine just in case (and planned to get scopolamine from the doctor but ran out of time) but only used it for my daughter for the long car ride to the airport and the plane rides (because that makes her very nauseous lol). But we were all fine on the ship.

There were a couple times when the water was a little rough but I only really started to feel nauseous if I looked out the window at the waves so I just stopped looking out the window those times and was fine.

On smaller boats and sail boats I get sick every time if I don’t take meds. We’ve been on 11 DCL cruises and I’ve been fine. We still pack sea bands and meds but thankfully never needed them. I say go for it!

I start with Bonine in the morning while still on land. Dramamine made me vomit within minutes of taking it.

A stateroom low and in the center of a larger ship will be most stable.

Not for me: Star Tours, Flight of Passage, Tea Cups, turning my head in the car on a curve. I threw up as a kid when on spinning rides. I love Tower of Terror and roller coasters that move forward quickly (but hate a sudden stop with reduction of G-force).

My first night cruising: I left the dining room before the meal was finished. Now: can go most cruises without any intervention. It did get better for me.

But motion sickness has never ruined my cruise nor lasted more than a few hours (which meant that was a long stretch in rough water).

(A) One of the worst areas for rough water is the Straits of Florida - the area between Florida and the Bahamas. I do not recommend a short cruise to the Bahamas for this reason. You have the possibility of a higher percentage of your trip feeling queasy.

Check out sailings from Galveston, New Orleans, or Alaska cruises (I would agree these are pretty smooth - and magnificent).

Or the 7-night Eastern or Western itineraries. When the ship‘s engines kick in to cover long distances, it seems like the ride is smoother than poking along for short runs.

(B) If you are okay taking medicines, ask your doctor about prescription Scopalomine patches. They do dry out the mouth, but they worked wonders for me. Place one behind the ear when you begin your transportation journey to the ship and then change it ~ every 3 days. Lower risk than taking meds that cause drowsiness.

Small excursion boats do tend to bob more. Large cruise ships are definitely more smooth feeling. It doesn’t mean you won’t feel the side to side sway. Thats when you learn to walk near ways and take your time. And sit down. It’s definitely more obvious when walking. It has never bothered me when lying down.

If you cruise and forget to bring any nausea medication, go to the front desk / Guest Services and ask for some (free). I have even seen them put out a bowl of pills when necessary.

Hope you can feel okay about your ultimate choice. I’m glad I forged ahead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter