I think handicapped rooms should be for handicapped people

Annam26

Mouseketeer
I was really looking forward to staying at the Pop Century next month. I've been looking at pictures and getting really, really excited about staying onsite for the first time ever. This was going to be the first time I'd be staying onsite.

But as read the posts all over this site I became somewhat worried. People booking rooms months, even a year in advance. That is impossible for me to do due to several reasons ($$$ being just one of them). The best I can do is book weeks in advance.

Today I found out that the Pop Century will be booked from the 6th trhough the 12th (the days I was planning to go). Perhaps I'll be able to get a room at the All Sports (the one I never cared to be in). However that's a regular room.

I understand that is best to book as soon as you can, and I could not in any way criticize anyone for being able to do so. It's great that they can do that. I couldn't keep up so I lost out. Fair enough

However, I read a post elsewhere on the board where some able bodied people wanted a handiccaped room. I think this is wrong, because there are few of those rooms, and people like me can't possibly be in a regular room.

Well, nedless to say that my excitement and joy have evaporated. I don't know what to do now. I can't afford a moderate, and I can only go during the second week in june.

I so wanted to stay on site!!! :guilty:

I would say that those rooms at this point are booked by people needing handicapped rooms. You are trying to book less than a month out. Sorry, handicapped or not you get what is left over. Did you speak with Special Needs Reservations? Keep tryng as something may turn up. I have gotten rooms at the last minute in the past.
As to not having the money. For a room only reservation you only have to put one nights deposit down.

Would you possibly be able to do a moderate with a discount rate such as AAA or an AP? Other people's cancellations may work in your favor too. I understand your frustration but Disney is also a business and can't just keep rooms open. Good luck and I hope things work out.

Thank you Talking Hands xterratri for your replies. I have not talked with Special Needs Reservations. I was told this by a travel agent.

Talking Hands, I think tha *most* handicapped rooms will be occupied by people who need them, but like I wrote, I read this post about able bodied people who had stayed in a handicapped room and wanted another one (I can't remember why), so there are at least some who are there without need.

xterratri, I understand WDW is a business. It's just the way things go.

I'm sorry if I came sounding whiny, intolerant and absurd, but this chance came all of a sudden, and I needed to....well, whine and vent....

But I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the advice!

You choose one of the business times of year to go with Gay Day falling that weekend. You may be able to get a room for part of the time. Call Disney direct and forget the travel agent. Unless they specialize in setting up vacations for people with handicaps they don't have a clue what to do.

I can tell you from personal experience that I have twice been "put" into a handicapped room, but that was not my reservation. They will not let able body people reserve them, I guess you can lie, but they will fill them up if they are not reserved at the time of checkin. By the way, both times we did not ask to be put into them, but were just given them by the room assigner.
I know that you are frustrated, but it would seem that now that all of the handicapped rooms are reserved by handicapped people. Mid-June is a busy time of the year. Try to talk to WDW travel and see if there is anything that they could do for you.

Here is the number for WDW Resort Special Reservations: 407-939-7807 (TTY: 407-939-7670)
They can help you with finding an accessible room, but as was already noted, it could be that those rooms are already filled with people with disabilities who booked before you did.

In most of the resorts, people don't want the accessible rooms. People complain about the roll in showers getting water all over and the low showerheads (but, as it turns out, a lot of people don't realize that the shower head can be moved!). They also complain about the lack of storage space under the sink since the cabinet is removed to allowed roll-under access.
The exception is the places (like the cruise ships) where the accessible rooms are larger. I have not been to Pop Century, but that might the case there. As Talking Hands mentioned, people who need accessible rooms are assigned to those rooms. People without disabilities might get them if they are vacant when they come, but they would not know until they get to the resort that they were getting one.

Thank you for your replies , and Sue, thank you for WDW Resort Special Reservations :)

Could anyone tell me if the difference in the handicapped room is just the shower? If the door is wide enough to let a wheelchair through I can deal with a tub putting a chair inside it.

Also, I belong to the AAA, so I guess I could get a discount and perhaps upgrade to a moderate. But being that the date is so close would it be possible to to pay up to 70% now and the rest when we get there?

Annam26 said:
Thank you for your replies , and Sue, thank you for WDW Resort Special Reservations :)

Could anyone tell me if the difference in the handicapped room is just the shower? If the door is wide enough to let a wheelchair through I can deal with a tub putting a chair inside it.

Also, I belong to the AAA, so I guess I could get a discount and perhaps upgrade to a moderate. But being that the date is so close would it be possible to to pay up to 70% now and the rest when we get there?
Depending on the resort, there may be 2 types of handicapped rooms. One is fully accessible with roll in showers, raised seat toilet with grab bars (and a transfer space next to the toilet) and roll under sink.
The other type has a tube with grab bars and might have a raised seat toilet.
All the resorts we have stayed at have had at least 36 inch wide doors (maybe as much as 42 inches), but at any rate, you will be able to get a standard wheelchair thru any doors you come to. You can double check with the Special Reservations number if you are really concerned, but it should not be a problem.

Sue, I called the number and made the reservations!

The only place avaliable was the All-Sports. So ironic since we all hate sports, LOL! But I'm so thankful I managed to be able to stay onsite, when last night seemed hopless.

Thanks to all of you who replied!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

One positive thing about All-Star Sports is that it is first on the bus run. This means that the bus picks up first (less chance of bus being full) and lets off first. This at least gives you one happy thought!!! :cool1:

Enjoy your stay!

lewdyan1 said:
One positive thing about All-Star Sports is that it is first on the bus run. This means that the bus picks up first (less chance of bus being full) and lets off first. This at least gives you one happy thought!!! :cool1: !

YAY!!!! :banana:

Enjoy your stay!

Thanks!!! :banana: :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :flower: :cool1: :goodvibes

Annam26 said:
Sue, I called the number and made the reservations!

Great that you got the room!!!!

you might want to try calling back a few times as it gets closer to your date. if anything cancels at a different value resort, they may be able to switch you over.

have lots of fun!!

-dj

dj2 said:

you might want to try calling back a few times as it gets closer to your date. if anything cancels at a different value resort, they may be able to switch you over.

That's a great idea! I had my heart really set on staying at Pop so much that I have almost memorized the place, lol. Even though I will be happy to stay anywhere, I'll try again to get a room at Pop (or any of the other values)

have lots of fun!!

-dj

Thank you! :earsgirl:

dj2 said:

have lots of fun!!

-dj
Very good idea. ::yes::

Seems to me that, if you have already booked a handicapped room at All Star Sports and when you get there all the handicapped rooms are gone, they have to put you in Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach at the same rate if they can't find a handicapped room in the other All Stars or at Pop Century.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

seashoreCM said:
Seems to me that, if you have already booked a handicapped room at All Star Sports and when you get there all the handicapped rooms are gone, they have to put you in Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach at the same rate if they can't find a handicapped room in the other All Stars or at Pop Century.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Thanks for the tip, Seashore :) I'll keep it in mind

Once I was assigned to a handicapped room at the All Stars. I assumed that handicapped rooms would be given out last and that the resort was considered "full" at the time.

The worst that could happen is if some last minute cancellations or no-shows occurred, some new last minute non-handicapped ressies but not new last minute handicapped ressies could be taken for the short span of days I was there.

A dilemma does occur, whether to split a pair of adjoining rooms first or give out a handicapped room unnecessarily first, or to give out a preferred room/view/location at the nonpreferred rate first (IMHO best) when the resort is nearly full.

Thanks again Seashore. I'm so happy to learn all this stuff before my real first trip to WDW :)

seashoreCM said:
Once I was assigned to a handicapped room at the All Stars. I assumed that handicapped rooms would be given out last and that the resort was considered "full" at the time.

The worst that could happen is if some last minute cancellations or no-shows occurred, some new last minute non-handicapped ressies but not new last minute handicapped ressies could be taken for the short span of days I was there.

A dilemma does occur, whether to split a pair of adjoining rooms first or give out a handicapped room unnecessarily first, or to give out a preferred room/view/location at the nonpreferred rate first (IMHO best) when the resort is nearly full.

handicapped rooms should only be available to handicapped guests & their families. that's like a handicap spot in the parking lot being empty & joe schmo pulling in cause its available, never knowing when a handicapped individual might pull up & need that spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter