• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ideas needed for MIL contribution to dinner

maleficent1959

<font color=FF0033>200,000 DIS'ers can't be wrong.
My in-laws moved into town last month and my MIL wants to be helpful for the big dinner tomorrow. The problem is my DH doesn't like anything about her cooking and has asked me to not let her make any of the dishes I have planned. Trust me, she can mess up a foolproof recipe. She makes great pies, and so I asked her to bring those (and rolls) but she insists that she do more. She just called wanting to make the sweet potato dish, and I declined saying that I already had all the ingredients and had done some prep work. She hung up miffed and once again I'm the bad guy.

Is there anything I can assign her other than pies and rolls? Someone else is bringing a smoked turkey and we have a Honeybaked Ham. I'm doing the vegetables and the stuffings and the appetizers.

What about asking her to bring a veggie tray? Can you call her & tell her that most everything is under control, with the prep work done (to prevent her from wanting to do more) but that you (or DH or someone) were really counting on a veggie tray but now you don't have time to do it. . . .

If you think she might make a dip from scratch, just make sure you have a container of Marie's Italian or Marzetti's Ranch on hand - for the other end of the table . . .

Or maybe fruit salad for dessert - that's not really a recipe, you just dump fruit together.

Or is there something that a local deli makes better than most people do from scratch - like cole slaw?

I guess it's not an option to let her bring whatever she decides on - in addition to your planned menu - and then not worry if no one eats it . . . Putting some on your plate, making it look like you've been eating it & then getting "full" is something I've done in my day . . .

I think a fruit or veggie tray is the ticket. Surely she couldn't mess up celery and carrots! :)

How about a green bean cassarole? Just throw everything in one dish and bake. How badly can she mess up green beans? Or should I ask???;)

Thank you all so much for your responses! I think we settled it this afternoon. I suggested a vegetable tray or greenbean casserole, both of which she objected to. I then offered to let her bring whatever she wanted but she declined, saying it sounded like we had more than enough food.

So she is bringing pies, rolls, and non-alcoholic apple cider and grape juice. She is also making dinner tonight for us. Piratesmate, we will probably use your tactic of pushing the really bad stuff around on a plate, making it look like we are eating!

You all have a wonderful holiday tomorrow with family, friends and whoever else you might be sharing it with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter