If the flattening isn't working is it time to face reality?

Bringing this back up to report that 5 weeks later, we now have over 890,000 confirmed cases.

x 50 according to the various antibody studies trickling in. It still amazes me that when we only test those with symptoms, we only get an 18% positive rate, yet antibody studies are showing 1 in 5 may have been exposed to covid-19.

x 50 according to the various antibody studies trickling in. It still amazes me that when we only test those with symptoms, we only get an 18% positive rate, yet antibody studies are showing 1 in 5 may have been exposed to covid-19.
You'll notice I said confirmed cases (ie, facts). Antibody tests are still inaccurate.

You also have to take into account who works there, Easter and their traditional lack of social distancing in the Hispanic culture.
So that's the spin? People who work in meat packing plants across the nation got sick over Easter? I'm sure that standing shoulder to shoulder with your co-workers and eating meals at a communal table with cardboard dividers had nothing to do with it.

Well given the histogram of new cases per day, if you scroll Bloomberg's map of the U.S. down, and given that we've pretty much hit a plateau of about 25k-35k new cases a day for awhile instead of a huge spike, It looks like it's going as intended so far. Many hospitals were pushed right to the edge. Some were pushed beyond it, But more certainly could have been had we not flattened it. And as we know, when hospitals are overwhelmed, the case fatality rate increases dramatically.

Where we've failed is the help. It has been inadequate. And we have the means to do more and should have. That $1200 should have been $5,000 for starters.
Initially, I questioned the worthiness of the 1200.00 but the 600.00 weekly (how many payments will someone get? As long as the state offers unemployment?) added to the unemployment can make up to and beyond 5K.

Initially, I questioned the worthiness of the 1200.00 but the 600.00 weekly (how many payments will someone get? As long as the state offers unemployment?) added to the unemployment can make up to and beyond 5K.
Max benefits here are 275. Add the 600 and that is 875. So the max for 4 weeks is 3,500. Nobody is even making near 5,000 a month on unemployment here. Even in New York the Max benefit is $504. Add the 600 and that is 1104. That's 4,416 over 4 weeks. Still not 5,000. And 4,416 doesn't go all that far in New York city. And in several areas, people haven't even gotten their first unemployment checks yet.

Max benefits here are 275. Add the 600 and that is 875. So the max for 4 weeks is 3,500. Nobody is even making near 5,000 a month on unemployment here. Even in New York the Max benefit is $504. Add the 600 and that is 1104. That's 4,416 over 4 weeks. Still not 5,000. And 4,416 doesn't go all that far in New York city. And in several areas, people haven't even gotten their first unemployment checks yet.
NJ gets there - we get up to $713/wk - with PUA that is $1313/wk or 5,252/mo. But if you are making enough to reach the $713/wk limit, you are probably not laid off right now.

Everyone won't get the whole extra $600/week. The unemployment benefits PLUS the additional UP TO $600/week, but it is based on your salary before you became unemployed.

So, say you used to make $500/week. Say your states unemployment is $350/week. You will get an additional $150/week, not an extra $600/week.

At no point will people make MORE than when they were employed, by using these 2 unemployment benefits available.

A lot of people are misunderstanding this.

Everyone won't get the whole extra $600/week. The unemployment benefits PLUS the additional UP TO $600/week, but it is based on your salary before you became unemployed.

So, say you used to make $500/week. Say your states unemployment is $350/week. You will get an additional $150/week, not an extra $600/week.

At no point will people make MORE than when they were employed, by using these 2 unemployment benefits available.

That is not my understanding. Do you have some documentation which supports this?

You're incorrect.

No. It’s $600/week for all unemployment eligible people.

That's because all the newspapers and even the politicians are touting it as $600/week on top of what one would already get from unemployment.

See:
https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/mar/26/senate-stimulus-bill-whats-it-you/
I would quote other newspapers but they all require some type of subscription. Anyhow, I'm going to look into CA's for a friend, who isn't officially "laid off" but was not given any hours to work for the past few weeks. He hasn't even gotten "certified" yet as eligible for UI. UGH....

Not up to $600. $600 flat payment. And our HR department has put out unemployment links, and in many cases workers WILL make more on unemployment with the additional $600 than they would have working. https://www.littler.com/publication...fies-eligibility-600-payments-under-cares-act

Last edited:
So that's the spin? People who work in meat packing plants across the nation got sick over Easter? I'm sure that standing shoulder to shoulder with your co-workers and eating meals at a communal table with cardboard dividers had nothing to do with it.
There is no spin. Brown County health officials have said Easter gatherings were a large factor in spread from JBS.

Nope. Everyone gets the full 600 plus their state unemployment.

1 out of 5 is 20% and 18% is probably within random occurring error from 20%.

1 out of 5 is 20% and 18% is probably within random occurring error from 20%.
I don't understand what your point is. If you only test those with symptoms and only 20% of those actually have the virus, but 66M (in the US) had actually been exposed to it, isn't that a good thing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter