• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you are flying out of Pearson over the next few days...

The news reports and first hand accounts of passengers arriving and departing this week, have been absolutely horrible. I would think airports in Canada and the federal transportation and border agencies, could do much better than what has been happening.

The news reports and first hand accounts of passengers arriving and departing this week, have been absolutely horrible. I would think airports in Canada and the federal transportation and border agencies, could do much better than what has been happening.

Apparently it’s staffing issues.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8802646/pearson-airport-long-lines/

My husband did fly out early Saturday morning and said his departure was delayed over an hour waiting for passengers trying to make it through securit
https://globalnews.ca/news/8802646/pearson-airport-long-lines/

My husband did fly out early Saturday morning and said his departure was delayed over an hour waiting for passengers trying to make it through security.
We flew out of Toronto last Dec 15 on a 7:30 Westjet flight. My wife, myself, son, daughter in law and two grandchildren arrived at terminal 3 at 4:30 in the morning. My wife and I both have Nexus and breezed through security by 6:15. I kept texting with my son and he told me that there was no way that they would be making the flight due to only two customs agents on duty. I asked the Westjet agent about options for the 10:30 AM flight and she told me that anyone missing the 7:30 flight would be on the 10:30 flight. We waited until 7:15 to board and when we got on the plane there were only about 20 people on the plane. The rest of our family finally boarded the plane at 8:45 and we departed at 9:00 with many people missing their flights. Thankfully a couple of Mimosas settled everyone’s nerves. Certainly hope that they can solve the staffing issues as it has been going on far too long

I get to fly thru there in 2 weeks. …at least I have Nexus. (Expired…but I’m in the grace period since they are taking their sweet time to renew it) Return I go thru Calgary. Not sure which is worse, that one was a bit of a cluster last time.

My inlaws flew out of Pearson just before Easter. The plane sat on the tarmac waiting to take off for a long time. The pilot came on and said they were almost at the maximum allowable time and people would have to get off soon. The issue was the luggage hadn’t made it yet.

Right before the cutoff workers came running over and started throwing luggage on two bags at a time. I think they were waiting on the plane for around an hour.

Would just like to mention, as I am one of the staff at YVR security, it is most definitely staffing issues! Many of those who were laid off during COVID did not return, and many people are quitting due to the low wages at $22/hr for us here at YVR, the most expensive city in Canada. As well, toxic work environment, late or missed breaks, inadequate lunch room spaces, disorganized and constantly changing SOP's, decrease in benefits...The list goes on!. We have not had a CBA for almost 2 years and the company is pushing a 0% wage increase.
I do not see airport security wait times getting better anytime soon...Brace for summer line ups!

I flew back in November, and even then, although I arrived 3.5 hours early (5:30 a.m.) I was still in the Customs line when my flight started boarding. I made it to the gate in time however, as did about 30 passengers after me, but it was close.
Thankfully, I'm back to flying out of Buffalo this past March, and again later this month. It's a great option if you've not considered it before. And no testing!

Would just like to mention, as I am one of the staff at YVR security, it is most definitely staffing issues! Many of those who were laid off during COVID did not return, and many people are quitting due to the low wages at $22/hr for us here at YVR, the most expensive city in Canada. As well, toxic work environment, late or missed breaks, inadequate lunch room spaces, disorganized and constantly changing SOP's, decrease in benefits...The list goes on!. We have not had a CBA for almost 2 years and the company is pushing a 0% wage increase.
I do not see airport security wait times getting better anytime soon...Brace for summer line ups!

Sorry, what are SOP's and what is a CBA? Sorry for my ignorance, I am not familiar with those terms. Is the airport administration not doing anything to address issues such as lunch room spaces and missing breaks? Those seem like issues they can address. I can imagine working at an airport is a very stressful career for many positions there. I cannot imagine being an employee at an airport during this time and having to deal with stressed out, anxious and angry passengers and not having the solutions.

Yes, I can imagine how bad it will be this summer as travel increases in numbers. I would hope those making the big bucks in the government and the airport administration across the country are coming up with solutions and action plans now.

Sorry, what are SOP's and what is a CBA? Sorry for my ignorance, I am not familiar with those terms. Is the airport administration not doing anything to address issues such as lunch room spaces and missing breaks? Those seem like issues they can address. I can imagine working at an airport is a very stressful career for many positions there. I cannot imagine being an employee at an airport during this time and having to deal with stressed out, anxious and angry passengers and not having the solutions.

Yes, I can imagine how bad it will be this summer as travel increases in numbers. I would hope those making the big bucks in the government and the airport administration across the country are coming up with solutions and action plans now.
These TLAs I actually know! (Three letter acronyms)
SOP=Standard Operating Procedures
CBA =Cost Benefit Analysis

Movin right along....................................................................Ok I say we all go on a little road trip.
I'm good for a half a day drive,,,,
All Aboard

Hugs
Mel

I see it has been answered, but yes, SOP's are the standard operating procedures, like how we have to do a pat down, who we have to swab, etc...It changes all the time and is not consistent, making it incredibly difficult to keep track of.
The CBA is a collective bargaining agreement. When the last one ended in 2017, it took two years going back and forth and then to arbitration before we got another one, and our raise was $0.45!!!
But then that one ended in 2020 and we are still fighting again with them.
As security is contracted out to an american company, the airport administration has no say in anything. We did get a new lunch room at C gate and there is an old tiny one at E gate, but there's no lunch room at A & B or International so we have to walk to either C or E to have our lunch, taking up our break time, and we are lucky if we can find an available seat.
Often times we can have 3-4 between breaks, and if it's go go go, we get exhausted with no time to rest in between.
Our shifts are constantly changing as well, This year alone I went from 10-6 then 12-8 then 1130-730 and back to 10-6. That makes it very difficult for anyone who has a family, or really, any life outside of work.
Passengers can be grumpy on occasion, but they are not the ones making the environment stressful.

Check out this news report with an interview from a former co-worker of mine:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/former-vancouver-airport-screener-says-she-quit-over-poor-working-conditions-low-pay-1.5887503#:~:text=Frustration, missed flights at Vancouver airport&text=A former security screening employee who worked at Vancouver International,working conditions and low pay.

Last edited:
That was a educational read. Thank-you for sharing it. I hope government agencies, airport administration, and airlines quickly come together to find solutions that work for employees and travelers. After reading your post about what you haven gone through at work, I hope things improve very quickly so that the industry does not lose more valuable employees like you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter