I'm a visual learner...tie dye?

Yes, the shirt I have is 100% cotton. I didn't realize that black dye is hard to find. I don't live near a craft store, so if Wal Mart doesn't have it, I may be out of luck. Something else I thought about is the Mickey ears with your name stitched on it as a transfer. I will have to search for the thread that has the link for it, but it's a really cute site that will "stitch" your name onto Mickey ears. Someone posted the link for it about a year ago, so it may be hard to find.

Just an idea for the orange tye-dye shirt. How dark of an orange is it? I was about was thinking about using bleach to make the mickey head shape. Don't know if that would really work but a thought. Good Luck!

Anyone have a picture of the finished shirts, too? I've seen them on other threads, but I didn't subscribe. Now DD says this might be fun to try. She'd like to see one. Thanks.

Not sure if it is too late for you to want pictures.

Link in case the pictures don't work.

425176507tBjfuq_ph.jpg

425175218BRBcko_ph.jpg

425173267EZXJNd_ph.jpg

79111DSC019791-med.JPG

Becky

thanks you for bumping...I have been looking for these pictures for a few days now!!

Marissa :earsgirl:

I just wanted to add the Tie Dye instructions here b/c I refer a lot of people to this thread!!

Thanks for the pictures!!

Directions from Cojochurch
First you will need the dye. I got a kit at Michaels that came with the instructions, dye, squirt bottles, soda ash, gloves, and rubber bands. Get 100% cotton shirts. That is very important so that you get vibrant colors. Do not use Rit Dye – you will not get vibrant colors!

Take the shirt and draw a Mickey head in pencil, on the shirt. I made a pattern on paper first and then traced along the edge. You will then "sew" the pattern. Use a needle and thread. I got a waxed thread at Michaels to make sure it didn't take up the dye. Sew a 1/4" - 1/2" basting stitch along the pencil line. A basting stitch is a very simple stitch that goes up & down through the fabric. Only go through the front of the shirt if that is where you want the Mickey to be. If you want it on front and back. Do each side separately. After stitching along the complete line, knot it, and pull it tight, so the fabric gathers in a bunch. Make sure the inside of the Mickey is poking outward. Pleat the rest of the fabric, so that you have a long snake like tube. The more careful you are with pleating the fabric along the length of the shirt, the better the final result. Go easy, and take your time. Wrap a rubber band around the threaded bunch. The tighter the tie, the more defined the outline of the Mickey will be. Place remaining rubber bands in 1"-2" intervals along the rest of the shirt. It is a little hard to explain, but when you are done you will have a long snake. One end is the Mickey on front of shirt and the other end it the back Mickey. Through the middle is the rest of shirt (arms, neck etc.).

Then follow the instructions in the kit for preparing and dying shirts. The squirt bottles make it possible to get the specific color where you want it.

To help with bleeding use large yarn tie tight then rubberband .this will keep area tighter then just the rubberband and the yarn will soak some of the dye before bleeding through.

What type of Dental Floss do you use? I only have Mint and Cinnamon which are green and red. Will they work or will they bleed and mess up the whole thing?

Thanks for your help!

Tandyc

ReAnSt, that last shirt picture looks like a Stitch tie dye....not sure if you meant it to look like that as all your linked pictures look like Mickey heads. That is so neat though....if you did mean it to look like Stitch, how did you do it?

TheRatPack said:
ReAnSt, that last shirt picture looks like a Stitch tie dye....not sure if you meant it to look like that as all your linked pictures look like Mickey heads. That is so neat though....if you did mean it to look like Stitch, how did you do it?

Great that means I did a good job since you can recognize It is Stitch. :rotfl2: I have also done horse heads and some other shapes. Instead of tracing a mickey head shape. I printed out, then cut out a stitch shape, I then traced that onto the shirt, I then baste stitched the stitch shape and pulled it super tight just like the Mickey head.

I did everything the same as the Mickey head but used the stitch shape or whatever shape I wanted the design to be instead. I think stitch was the hardest one I have done because of the details around his body like the feet and his ears. I would suggest trying a mickey head first.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Becky

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Thanks to you all, I was able to make these shirts for our trip, and they turned out fabulously! So.... THANK YOU!!!! :cool1: :banana: :cool1: :banana:

These are sooo awesome!!! I'm going to have to try my hand at making some. Thanks!!

We are going to a tye dye party at a friends house tonight and wanted to make mickey shirts for the family. My shirt is here, all the others are at my friends house. Is stiching the only way to do this? Any other hints? I am just not sure I can get the shirts done in time. (and am a bit nervous abou it.) I think my friend has soaked the shirts ahead of time to take the die. I assume they should be dry when you sew them.

The only other way I would know how to do something similar is to use a stencil and then spray on the paint (instead of traditional tie dye dunking).

Well we did it. I don't know how they turned out yet. We used a plate from WDW (you know the kind the kids meals come in that is a mickey shape) and then we also used a base from a Mcdonalds toy that is mickey shaped for a smaller one on sleves and some places for the girls. I don't know if that will turn out. It was a bit of sewing for 4 shirts and 2 skirts for the girls, but we will see how it ends up. Thanks for the help. My friend did have the spray die too (she had it all really.) It was a fun night. :thumbsup2

I will let you guys know how they turned out. Heck if they are really good I will even post a picture! :teeth:

They not only turned out good, they turned out GREAT! We are all wearing them today so I will take a picture and try to post it. Some are "better" then others, I think it was a learning process and we learned. I must say both DH and I were intimidated with the whole "sew" thing, but we all did it together (my 14 year old niece too.) and it was rather easy. Thanks so much for the clear directions and pictures. I don't think we would of even attempted it with out them. It was really a lot easier then we thought it would be. We love :lovestruc our new shirts. Thanks so much!

Thank you all for the Wonderful directions!!! My tanks came out fabulous!!!

Thanks for all this info, mine turned out really well I think! I'd attach a pic, but I can't figure out how to do that~

-Courtney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter