• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Im going to DL!! Questions for those whove been to DL and WDW

ChrisFL

Disney/Universal Fan and MALE
For the first time ever. I've been going to WDW my whole life, but Im taking a friend to DL when I fly to California on May 4-7.

Now I do have a few questions for those who have been to both. I want to make the most of our time since we'll be there one day but seeing both DL and DCA.

We won't be seeing much of the attractions for the younger set, but...

Is Peter Pan's Flight or Splash Mountain much different at DL?

Are there any nice quiet places to eat that aren't too expensive?

TIA

ChrisFL said:
For the first time ever. I've been doing to WDW my whole life, but Im taking a friend to DL when I fly to California on May 4-7.

Now I do have a few questions for those who have been to both. I want to make the most of our time since we'll be there one day but seeing both DL and DCA.

We won't be seeing much of the attractions for the younger set, but...

Is Peter Pan's Flight or Splash Mountain much different at DL?

Are there any nice quiet places to eat that aren't too expensive?

TIA

Peter Pan and Splash aren't that different than WDW. Splash is a bit different on the inside, and you sit straddling each other, not side by side. Peter Pan is pretty much the same.

Nice quiet places to eat- I think as far as Counter Service goes, Hungry Bear in Critter Country is nice. You can get a table in the back, by the Rivers of America. Hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, etc.

but I would definitely check them out. One ride not to miss is Space Mountain, as I found the WDW version really CRAPPY!

We went to DL last May and are going again this May. The Pirates of the Caribbean ride I believe is much better at DL then at DW. :disrocks:

Have a Disney Day

John
:wave:

john2u said:
We went to DL last May and are going again this May. The Pirates of the Caribbean ride I believe is much better at DL then at DW. :disrocks:

Have a Disney Day

John
:wave:

I know that already, but it won't matter since it will be CLOSED at that time

IMO, Haunted Mansion @ DL is WAY better than @ WDW as well as Space Mountain. I would also make sure to get on the Matterhorn and monorail ride through the park (nice since WDW monorails only on outside of parks).

WDW has the Country Bear Jamboree, DL doesn't, still love this show if it's not too "young" for your trip.

Have a great time!

Im definitely ready to see DL's Haunted Mansion, I love the WDW version. Also I know Space Mountain has been "upgraded" at DL so that will be interesting. Im not sure if I can get my friend on the Matterhorn, she's afraid of any rollercoasters where she can see what's going on... :confused3

There are lots of quiet eating places at DL Most are between $7 and $14. Hungry Bear is quiet and big on atmosphere, but burgers are their only menu item. Rancho del Zocalo has a lovely eating area in Frontierland next to Thunder Mountain. I usually find it very atmospheric and enjoyable and I love the food. French Market is also quiet and has great food, perhaps a bit expensive, but pretty normal pricing for Disneyland at around $12 a plate. Plaza Inn is the same, great food great atmosphere, about $12 a plate. Tast Pilots grill next to Soarin' in DCA has really good burgers for around $7, though the atmosphere is sometimes lacking, eat outside though, that helps. Same with Pizza Port in Tomorrowland.

Another vote here for Pilots Grill and Rancho Del Zocalo!!
Love Ella

Even though they are for the younger kids - I would ride Casey Jr & Storybook Canal Boats - not at WDW and they are original to the park - Walt's designs....
Also - Mr Toads is still at DL - and it's a classic!
Don't miss the Matterhorn!!!!!!!!
Fantasyland is very different as a whole - and you should spend some time looking at how very different it is!
And oh! The Indiana Jones Ride is one of the best rides in the park - and not at WDW either!

I second the French Market. I also love the Plaza Inn. One thing, both French Market and Plaza Inn have HUGE portions. For instance you can get a fried chicken or pasta meal that is really too big for one person. At both of those places, it is cafeteria style so you can see exactly what you are ordering and how much the portion is. I also think the atmosphere at Hungry Bear cannot be beat for peace and quiet but I think the burgers at Taste Pilots at DCA are better. I find the food at Disneyland to be pricier than WDW's but I like it better and think most of the cs places have more atmosphere. There is also an area at DCA called the Pacific Wharf. They have a bakery with soup in breadbowls, salads and sandwiches as well as a take out Mexican place. Both of these places share outdoor seating that has beautiful views of the Paradise Pier area at night. There is also a margarita stand there too ;) !

I think Peter Pan at Disneyland is better but there is no fastpass which is a bummer. Space Mountain is very cool, way better than WDW's. Matterhorn is similar to WDW's Space Mountain but not as dark. You climb up the mountain in the dark but when your vehicle is actually moving fast you can see what's happening. Its jerky, but no hills! Make sure you ride California Screamin at DCA, its superior to Rock n Rollercoaster imho, and much smoother. Have a great trip!

ChrisFL said:
Im definitely ready to see DL's Haunted Mansion, I love the WDW version. Also I know Space Mountain has been "upgraded" at DL so that will be interesting. Im not sure if I can get my friend on the Matterhorn, she's afraid of any rollercoasters where she can see what's going on... :confused3
Maybe she could close her eyes? :crazy:

Another vote for the French Market. Get your food and eat outside, listen to some jazz, and soak up New orleans square.....a whole "land" not found at WDW!

The only attractions that are "identical" are the 3-D films. All others either have sutle differences or BIG differences. Do not miss an attracation just because it is there is one with the same name at your home park also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter