In treatment for cancer

Your thread has given me a positive outlook and hope. I'm at the begining stages of a possible health event. Waiting on some test reults to come back. Nervous and worried to no end but it's your courage and example that really bring me hope.

I don't know you but you have inspired me.

All the best!

Thank you Captain Alex. I have had many people that I didn't know before I started this journey inspire me so I am glad I can pay if forward. I don't know what kind of health issue you are looking at but I am praying for you right now. I can tell you that I believe keeping a positive attitude is key for any kind of recovery. I researched a lot on my condition and a lot of people told me to quit reading everything I could find but I never did. I felt like the more I knew, the better prepared I could be. Surround yourself with positive people that want to support you. Please keep in touch!:grouphug:

I just read this and prayed for you. Keep your eye on God, and stay in faith. Nothing is too hard for our God!

I am so happy to find others on here who love Disney and who are battling cancer. I was diagnosed with breast cancer the first week of May, and am undergoing chemo right now (they call it neo-adjuvent, or "before treatment") therapy... this way, when I go in for my right breast mastectomy, scheduled mid to late October, my margins will be "all clear" and prognosis post-surgery is expected to be excellent. My oncologist is calling this cancer "a bump in the road, nothing more". I have strong faith, but sometimes it falters, you know? I have a Disney Cruise planned for christmas week, with four days at Port Orleans afterwards. (my husband's 50th birthday will take place on board :-) ) I am using this to propel me through my tests, my chemo (first treatment of two types of chemo drugs was awful, put me in hospital for dangerously low white blood count) and now I am about to do round two tomorrow of a "lesser" chemo drug, but still strong, of a total of 12 weeks.

DisneyHoneymoon, I will be praying for you today. I know it is hard to go in there and get that chemo when you know how bad it is going to make you feel. I just tried to think every time how it was killing the bad stuff in me and making me one day closer to being cancer free. I thought of all the wonderful times our family has had at Disney and all the ones to come. We will be there in December too, but the week of the 10th. Our 30th wedding anniversary is the 12th. Hang in there and stay positive. I'm pulling for you.:goodvibes

jedspad - :thumbsup2 Congrats! You did it. Such an amazing celebration to finish. So glad another part of things are done.

I do agree with what you said about reading up on things. People also told me not to but I did. I even asked my oncologist for articles since my cancer is so rare and she said she couldtnt really find anything new etc. I like to have all the knowledge I can to make an informed decision too. Wishing you all the best with the pet scan. Blessings to you

Your thread has given me a positive outlook and hope. I'm at the begining stages of a possible health event. Waiting on some test reults to come back. Nervous and worried to no end but it's your courage and example that really bring me hope.

I don't know you but you have inspired me.

All the best!

Wishing you all the best and I hope your test results come out well for you. Hang in there!

I am so happy to find others on here who love Disney and who are battling cancer. I was diagnosed with breast cancer the first week of May, and am undergoing chemo right now (they call it neo-adjuvent, or "before treatment") therapy... this way, when I go in for my right breast mastectomy, scheduled mid to late October, my margins will be "all clear" and prognosis post-surgery is expected to be excellent. My oncologist is calling this cancer "a bump in the road, nothing more". I have strong faith, but sometimes it falters, you know? I have a Disney Cruise planned for christmas week, with four days at Port Orleans afterwards. (my husband's 50th birthday will take place on board :-) ) I am using this to propel me through my tests, my chemo (first treatment of two types of chemo drugs was awful, put me in hospital for dangerously low white blood count) and now I am about to do round two tomorrow of a "lesser" chemo drug, but still strong, of a total of 12 weeks.

Sorry you have to go through all of this too. My faith also brings me a lot of comfort.

Wonderful that you have a special disney trip to look forward too.

The ladies on the breast cancer survivors thread on the community board are a wealth of information and encouragement. I dont have bc but hang out with them. They adopted thy ca me! Feel free to join us over there.

Wishing you all the best.

Thanks for the kind words luvmarypoppins. I think cancer unites all of us who are fighting any form of it. I am sorry you are having to fight this terrible disease.

Had my first follow-up appt with ENT doctor yesterday since finishing treatment. He said he did not see or feel anything abnormal. That was the best news I could have asked for. I see the radiation oncologist on Sept 11th and will have a pet scan about a month after that. Praying that will be clear like the last one was. I feel like I am doing pretty good, just getting impatient. I want to eat what I want to eat and have it taste like it should. Unfortunately that isn't happening but I know I am lucky to be tasting anything and that I have been able to eat thru everything. I am trying to start exercising some to get some strength back, but have been really tired this week. I am sure next week will be better.:yay:

So happy to hear you got good news

What does the food taste like?
I know some of the gals who had rai radiation on the thyroid thread here lost some of their sense of taste. I had a dull sense of taste for only about a week.

If things taste metallic I heard you should swish some pickle juice in your mouth? I have not personally tried this, just read about it.

Hope you get your strength back. Take things slowly. I also had to have B12 shots.

Good luck with the pet scan too.

Wishing you all the best

I did have the metallic taste for a while but it is gone now. Somethings I can taste but just don't have as strong of taste as before. Other things you just can't taste at all. The radiation destroys your taste buds and it takes a while for it to come back if they do. It also destroys your salivary glands so you don't have saliva. That makes eating some things very difficult. I am thankful I can taste anything, it is just disappointing when you try something you loved to eat and it has no taste. I think I am just being inpatient.:sad1:

I did have the metallic taste for a while but it is gone now. Somethings I can taste but just don't have as strong of taste as before. Other things you just can't taste at all. The radiation destroys your taste buds and it takes a while for it to come back if they do. It also destroys your salivary glands so you don't have saliva. That makes eating some things very difficult. I am thankful I can taste anything, it is just disappointing when you try something you loved to eat and it has no taste. I think I am just being inpatient.:sad1:

If only our taste buds and saliva returned as quickly as the radiation took them away!

Your sense of taste will start to return as will your saliva production. Try eating foods with sauces as this will help with the swallowing. Lean meats will be the most difficult to chew and swallow.

At almost 5 years since my last radiation treatment I still can't eat chicken breast or french fries unless they are liberally bathed in bar-b-q sauce or ketchup.

My sense of taste fully returned within 2 years and my saliva production is much better than immediately after treatment. I still drink more than a gallon of water each day to keep my mouth moist. This is a minor price to pay to be able to say that we beat cancer. :yay:

Had my first follow-up appt with ENT doctor yesterday since finishing treatment. He said he did not see or feel anything abnormal. That was the best news I could have asked for. I see the radiation oncologist on Sept 11th and will have a pet scan about a month after that. Praying that will be clear like the last one was. I feel like I am doing pretty good, just getting impatient. I want to eat what I want to eat and have it taste like it should. Unfortunately that isn't happening but I know I am lucky to be tasting anything and that I have been able to eat thru everything. I am trying to start exercising some to get some strength back, but have been really tired this week. I am sure next week will be better.:yay:

This is so amazing. I will be keeping you in my thoughts.
Keep the positive thoughts and your chin up:)

DH had his surgery on Wednesday so I am a little behind on the boards.
Surgery went well according to the surgical oncologist.
We return in four weeks and DH will have the compression bandages and stitches removed. We will also be be told if he needs follow up treatment.

I will have to let DH know about the "pickle juice" as I think he is willing to try anything to taste something normally.

I'm sorry you have to go through the chemo and radiation but try to keep your spirits up. If the chemo seems like too much for you to handle, try to get the chemo meds switched to something less powerful or less side effects. There may be another medication you can take without such harsh side effects.

Make sure the doctors scan your whole body and not just the problem area. Good luck, God bless.

I have my first post-treatment pet scan Tuesday and will get the results Thursday. Praying for an all clear. 48 days until we leave for our trip to Disney!! Hopefully we will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and being cancer free..pixiedust:

I have my first post-treatment pet scan Tuesday and will get the results Thursday. Praying for an all clear. 48 days until we leave for our trip to Disney!! Hopefully we will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and being cancer free..pixiedust:

:grouphug: Thinking and praying for you.

Wishing you all the best. Sending good thoughts and prayers. Keep us informed.

So wonderful you have your Disney trip to look forward too. Happy Anniversary too!

We will be there a little before you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter