Inaugural Disney Castaway Cay Challenge

FWIW, at least with a family of 3 and not going for a concierge stateroom, the prices on this particular cruise are not that heinous.

Did you get two brand new medals?
:rolleyes2

I got the plastic DCL medal. Personally, I don't think this race is comparable to the 5K races in the parks. The way they do the CC5K course, you don't see much of the island.

I'm not one to get in arguments with strangers on message boards, so I'll leave it at that. I'm allowed to not think it's a good deal...just my opinion. :wave:

I think it is a great idea and a good price. Already booked the cruise and just waiting on the registration to open!

I just booked my cruise as well. Funny thing too before they announced this challenge, I was planning to forfeit my WDW Half registration. The minute they said "cruise", I said "take my money".

I'm going to be boarding another cruise in England when registration opens next week so I hope they don't sell out so fast that I can't register since I have to deal with slow ship internet!

Got this info in an email from disneycruise:

Guests on your sailing, who would like to run in the Castaway Cay 5K, but who have not registered for any Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend events, may still participate in the Castaway Cay 5K to receive the finishers’ medal only.

While the 5K course spans our island paradise and promises lots of sun and sand, on this particular day the race will also feature some magical Disney surprises along the way.

So that's nice to know.

OK, who wants to do this?

If you really want to be crazy, you could do something like this. The Dopey Palindrome Challenge

Thursday, 1/8: 5k
Friday, 1/9: 10k
Saturday 1/10: Half Mary
Sunday 1/11: Full Marathon
Monday 1/12: Early morning half marathon at Fort Wilderness
Tuesday 1/13: 10k on deck
Wednesday 1/14: Castaway Cay 5k.

Let me converse with my friend who already booked the cruise (I'm not too proud to be somebody's 2nd, 3rd or 4th pax)...but that would be the near ultimate in Disney running insanity. (Unless they announce a replacement for Tink and then have to disembark the Dream and fly to CA for another weekend of races...

Let me converse with my friend who already booked the cruise (I'm not too proud to be somebody's 2nd, 3rd or 4th pax)...but that would be the near ultimate in Disney running insanity. (Unless they announce a replacement for Tink and then have to disembark the Dream and fly to CA for another weekend of races...

As of this moment, my plan is to start the FW Half Marathon at 0330 on 1/12/2015 in front of the Meadows. Pace will be slow with enough time left to freshen up and catch transportation to the Dream.

McFlurry John

I am so thankful that when I feel crazy, I can come to DISboards and at least have some company! I first saw the announcement for the Castaway challenge on Facebook. I was like… "Oh, great." I'm already doing the Dopey. I'm set up this year for the Dumbo Double Dare in September. The Wine & Dine in November. Then they announce the inaugural Avengers. So, OF COURSE I have to do that one. (One week after W&D??? Really? I must be crazy). Well, if I'm crazy enough to do that, I must be crazy enough to try the Dopey. THEN. THEY. ADD. ANOTHER. CHALLENGE. At least I can say that I waited 2 days before I put a down payment on the cruise. :worship: Eeshh. =)

I've been thinking about adding the cruise..this just made the decision for me :)

Now I have to find someway to break it to hubby and son gently as the Marathon trip is just DD & I.

Did they happen to mention if the "guest" had a fee or how/if they would have to register early? I know what I have heard in the past was no, if you were on board you got to run.....I, Luckily:cheer2:, had already registered for WDW 1/2....and now, the sucker that I am, have a cruise booked:beach:

I may be a off but I assumed *********The number of registrations for the 2015 Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend races and the Castaway Cay 5K is limited and subject to availability. To be eligible for the Castaway Cay Challenge runners must enter their cruise reservation number at the time of registration for a 5K or longer 2015 Walt Disney World® Marathon race event. All races are subject to age eligibility requirements and capacity limits. All race registration fees are non-refundable. Runners must complete both races within the 16-minute mile pacing requirements and must have an official time for each race to receive the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge Finisher Medal. Runners deferring any 2015 Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend 5K or longer races will not be eligible for a Castaway Cay Challenge Finisher Medal. Events/races may be subject to delay, change, or cancellation for inclement weather or other safety concerns. ************ Meant that there would be more 5k 10k half and full runs open up specifically for this challenge. It doesn't make sense to announce something that excludes people that couldn't register for it. It's brilliant marketing because they are filling up a ship during the very off season and it definitely has to be a limited number of participants because of the capacity of the ship. I know there I go trying to make sense:rotfl2: does anyone else interpret that way:confused3

I just booked DH and FIL on this cruise. DH is Perfectly Goofy and I know he wanted to do this so badly. We just can't afford for the whole family to go. Even if money wasn't a concern, DS is starting middle school next year and there is no way I can pull him out of school for a whole week for vacation.

I am just hoping we can swing DS & I going to marathon weekend to cheer DH on!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter