Increased seismic activity on the Big Island

NancyDVC

DIS Veteran
I just read a post on Hawaii Now that there is increase seismic activity at the Pu u O o crater at Kiluaea on the Big Island. That is where a current lava flow has been for several years. They are prohibiting lava viewing in that area because of possible danger. This is south of the Kiuaea caldera.
Anyone planning to visit the Big Island should be aware. We took the NCL 7 day cruise on Pride of America before our Aulani stay and sailing past the lava flow into the ocean at night was wonderful.

My co-worker just returned and said the lava viewing from the Jaggar museum lookout is very good right now! I would assume that is related activity. But my point being--there's good viewing other places, so heed warnings and stay safe. Seeing lava was a total bucket list item for me :)

Ughhhh. We are supposed to be staying in Pahoa at the end of the month, right along hwy 130....:confused:

My understanding is that the Jagger museum is open along with Volcano house, but hikes into the crater are currently prohibited due to possible eruption at unknown location. The Kalapana lava viewing at Rt 130 near the ocean vent is also closed.

-Paul

Yes we loved the view from the Jagger at the Kiluaea caldera. This seismic activity is at Pu u O o which is along the lava flow towards the ocean. There is a video and updated information on Hawaii Now. (Since I first planned our trip to Aulani I signed up for way too much information about Hawaii. ;);) But the info does inspire me to make plans for another trip.

This is from the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park’s FB page posted yesterday afternoon 5PM HST: (Remember they are 6 hours behind the East Coast)

It’s never a dull moment on Kīlauea Volcano.

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is OPEN, but due to increased shallow earthquake activity in the Puna district below Kīlauea volcano in the area between Pu‘u ‘Ō‘ō and Highway 130, the County of Hawai‘i has issued the following closures:

• Department of Parks and Recreation has shut down the lava-viewing area in Kalapana due to its proximity to the increased hazardous activity.
• Lower Puna area residents are advised to stay informed by listening to the radio and Civil Defense text alerts and social media sites
• For up-to-date information, go to active links on the Civil Defense website http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts

So what’s going on? According to USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO) scientists, a collapse of the Puʻu ʻŌʻō crater floor Monday afternoon on Kīlauea Volcano’s East Rift Zone has prompted increases in seismicity and deformation along a large section of the rift zone, with seismicity currently occurring as far east as Hwy 130 (outside of the national park boundary).

An intrusion of magma occurred overnight in the lower East Rift Zone extending from the general area of Puʻu ʻŌʻō eastward at least as far as Highway 130. As of 8:30 this morning, the level of activity has decreased significantly, but it is too soon to know if this is merely a pause. The intrusion began yesterday afternoon associated with collapse of the Puʻu ʻŌʻō crater floor. Early this morning, HVO issued a Volcano Activity Notice calling attention to this intrusion and raising the possibility of a new outbreak along the rift zone if activity intensifies.

The summit lava lake is unchanged and has risen overnight to just below the rim of the Overlook crater vent, as seen in this photo.

Photo of Halema‘uma‘u Crater lava lake at the summit of Kīlauea Volcano taken this morning by NPS Volunteer Janice Wei.

#neveradullmoment #TwoEruptionsOneVolcano #TwoferTuesday #Pelehonuamea

There has been over 700 small earthquakes and the one at 5.0 in the last two week around the East Rift Zone. We are on a cruise ship leaving Kona and heading to Hilo tonight. The captain says although there is no lava flow into the ocean he plans to get there and hang around for a few hours to see if Pele puts on a show. So we will probably only see a glow not as spectacular as the photos above. I wonder what the view will be at the Jaegger Museum tonight since the cone has deflated 100 feet?

When we were on the PoA we sailed past the lava flow into the ocean and it was great! I hope you see something! Plus there was a wonderful narration as we sailed by
There was also a narration as we sailed by the Napali Coast!

As of this evening, people in Leilani Estates have been evacuated, shelters have been opened, and my friend from the Big Island said the hotels in Kona are doing stop-sells. For people who are not familiar with hotel lingo, it’s when hotels cease to take bookings at all. Basically they are worried that people will come to their hotels and they will end up having to board them long term because they are displaced.

Everyone understands that a peaceful lava sighting while on vacation is awesome. But keep in mind that when the lava turns a specific way, homes and lives of local residents become endangered.

I have been praying for those near the possible lava flow. Hoping and praying everyone is safe. Having been through Hurricane Sandy with friends and co-workers dispalced for months and years I know how difficult it is to wonder if you wil be able to go back and what you will have left.

I have been praying for those near the possible lava flow.
It's not "possible" lava flow. It's already gotten dangerously near houses (the closest being 200 yards away), and Lanipuna Gardens has been added to the list of areas who must evacuate.

Midoria, When I posted they had no lava flow but fissures showing in 2 subdivisions. Now there are lava flows into those areas with gas plumes coming from Pu U Oo. I ahve been floowing it on the VNP and USGS sites as well as the Hawaii Emergency Management site.
IMy last port was Thursay evening EDT. (I ieve that the date and tiem of post here is GMT)

We had an Airbnb rental scheduled for Leilani Estates, beginning 5/27. Needless to say, our plans have changed now. :( So sad for the homeowners. We were able to secure a vacation rental in Kona.

Midoria, When I posted they had no lava flow but fissures showing in 2 subdivisions. Now there are lava flows into those areas with gas plumes coming from Pu U Oo. I ahve been floowing it on the VNP and USGS sites as well as the Hawaii Emergency Management site.
IMy last port was Thursay evening EDT. (I ieve that the date and tiem of post here is GMT)
Not to mention praying for those who may be affected soon but don't know it yet, which is clearly what you meant. Just because there's flow one place now doesn't mean there won't be more. Nice of you to be thinking of any folks who could be affected, :)

My settings here use date/time stamps for HST. It says you posted near midnight Hawaii time on Thursday, but lava was spotted coming out of a fissure on Mohala Street a little before 5PM (HST) Thursday which is what triggered the mandatory evacuation. I was just getting home from work on Thursday when a very concerned woman popped up on the TV and announced lava had been spotted and that residents were being evacuated. But I'm not sure how quickly they update the sites you follow or how detailed they get.

I do appreciate you thinking of the residents there who have to deal with something so frightening.

a big quake hit earlier, 6.9. I think there was even more activity after that. :( There definitely are houses lost at this point - I saw one aerial shot of the lava just going right through a house.

It's such a shame. However, to an outsider who has driven by Leilani Estates and been to the Pu'u O'o vent lava viewing area, they seem really close and an inevitability over time. I hope no one is harmed and feel bad for any houses lost. It's a harsh beautiful paradise. I do recommend that anyone that can get to the big island to visit the volcano do so, safely and within the rules and regulations. It's a life-changing experience.

Volcanoes National Park has been closed with evacuations for everyone except emergency personnel for safety rasons That includes guest at Volcano House and Kiluaea Military Camp. :worried:

Still praying for everyone on the Big Island as they endure the uncertainty and possible danger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter