Ingredients in Butterbeer/ food allergies

PeterPan&Wendy1970

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know if it is dairy and egg free? My ds has a anaphalaxis from dairy, and my other ds from egg. I can't find any information about this! The last time anyone posted about a year ago, there was no definite information.
Any other food allergy tips?

Me:lovestruc dh :cool2: ds 11 pirate: ds 9 pirate: dd 7 princess:

Reports are that it is dairy and egg free. However, I wouldn't trust what you read on a message board when it concerns your child's health. I'd give them a call. Universal will give you any other allergy info that you need.

The TMs at the cart in the walkway had the ingredients for the *drink* laminated on the bottom of a card at their cart. I was able to scan them, and didn't see any obvious dairy words, and no eggs. I basically noticed that it's a bunch of chemicals and nothing "real" except for sugar, but it didn't have the 3 things I was worried about (corn syrup, HFCS, corn syrup solids, in case you're curious) and I don't remember a food dye (I think it had caramel color, and I don't know what makes that, but it didn't list out "yellow, etc").

However, there's a topping, you can't get the drink (frozen or liquid) without the topping, and they did not offer up the ingredients on that (and I didn't think to ask about it until much later, because I didn't realize it was separate from the drink). It's the topping I hope you can find out about! They've been really close-mouthed about butterbeer, so I was surprised they had those ingredients, but also happy!

Me too! Through internet searching I can't find any definite answer. One server told someone it had whey - dairy protein- in it. Other people said no. I did email Universal last night and got a response this morning that someone will get back to me. I'll share if/when that happens.

Me too! Through internet searching I can't find any definite answer. One server told someone it had whey - dairy protein- in it. Other people said no. I did email Universal last night and got a response this morning that someone will get back to me. I'll share if/when that happens.

Please do share..DH is lactose intolerant so this would be good info to have for our trip!! thanks!!

(I think it had caramel color, and I don't know what makes that, but it didn't list out "yellow, etc").

You don't want to know about that caramel color!

In case you're curious, though, it's basically the byproduct of sugar treated with ammonia. Yum!

Thanks damo. I had read through that thread as well. It was from last June, so I'm hoping someone can share a more updated experience. I have not heard back from Universal yet. I will share when I do.

Me:lovestruc dh:cool2: ds11 pirate: ds 9 pirate: dd 7 princess:

hhmmm...very interesting. I just read the other thread. I wonder if asking if it is Kosher or Parve will help?

Ds is allergic to eggs. We have an epipen for it. Main chef at the parks assured me butterbeer or topping has no egg. Ds has been drinking bb all week with no issue.

I can't find the link, but I seem to recall someone posting here or maybe on another forum that the person at Universal told them the butterbeer was milk and dairy free -- but if someone had severe allergies they would advise them not to drink it because there was a cross-contamination risk.

I can't find the link, but I seem to recall someone posting here or maybe on another forum that the person at Universal told them the butterbeer was milk and dairy free -- but if someone had severe allergies they would advise them not to drink it because there was a cross-contamination risk.

The cross contamination was for gluten.

So it's egg and dairy free...what about gluten?:confused3 I have a nephew that is allergic to eggs, dairy, wheat, corn, and a long list of other things. We are not going until next year, but I should probably start getting a list together for his mom now.:surfweb:

Please visit our website devoted to visiting Disney with food allergies. The link is below.

We have worked hard to help out other families like ours!

I'm allergic to eggs and drank it without even thinking about that! I was fine: no hives, no vomiting!

Well, I got back a form letter reply from Universal, not answering my question. It just said to talk to the chefs if you have food allergies (Duh!). No mention of butterbeer.
Allergyfreemouse, I like your site. We have eaten successfully at Disney twice, and love to eat there because they "get it". Maybe now you can do something on Universal!

Me:lovestruc dh :cool2: ds 11pirate: ds 9:cool2: dd 7 princess:

Well, I got back a form letter reply from Universal, not answering my question. It just said to talk to the chefs if you have food allergies (Duh!). No mention of butterbeer.
Allergyfreemouse, I like your site. We have eaten successfully at Disney twice, and love to eat there because they "get it". Maybe now you can do something on Universal!

Me:lovestruc dh :cool2: ds 11pirate: ds 9:cool2: dd 7 princess:

With the immensely increased crowd levels since Harry Potter, perhaps now Universal will pay more attention to the allergy/vegetarian concerns. For the first time last visit, we noticed that the menus were specifying ingredients. In the past, with much lower crowd levels than Disney, there never seemed to be enough of a need for these options for it to be a concern.

Just trying to find out if there is any updated info out there for food allergies at US/IOA...

We have this info from November 2011 from Chef Bob Burdick:

"Hi, in Universal Studios. We have fruit stands in the parks with apples, oranges, grapes, watermelon on them. Also have lemon and strawberry slush carts which will be ok, also have turkey legs on carts that are just smoke plain. We have a full service unit it is Lombard's landing and Finnegan’s, We have a chef in each unit have the server bring the chef to the table and he can go over all the things he can do for you In Islands of Adventure we have 2 full service units one called Confisco's and one is Mytho's, We have Chefs in both of those units, have server bring Chef to table and he can go over the things he can do for you,. I have another walk up unit it is Thunder Falls, I have smoke chicken, smoke ribs, and roasted corn on cob and roasted potatoes with fresh herbs and salt and pepper, also have French fries all natural cooked in soy blend oil that is the only thing cooked in those fryers too. I will also say no desserts at all from any of the restaurants too.
We also have three broomsticks which have smoked chicken and smoked pork ribs, roasted corn on cob, baked potatoes, roasted potatoes with onions, garlic, salt and pepper, and fresh herbs and some salads too.
The butterbeer will be ok."

Our sons' allergies are to eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, mushrooms and most legumes (they can eat soy). A lady named Pam helped us with ordering at the Three Broomsticks (we ate here 3 times!), and it was a great experience! I wouldn't go on this info alone, especially after many months, but it gives good starting points for where to look for allergy safe foods while at Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter