Inspired by UofM thread on Debate Board

tlgoblue

Thankful for Family
Let me start by saying, as a U/M Alumnae, I support my school's effort to achieve diversity. I can think of no more noble cause. I was born to 2 lower income parents, who were (are) biggoted and were also on the "wrong" side of the color spectrum with regard to affirmative action. I can't remember how many times I heard "I didn't get the job because I'm the wrong color."

While at Michigan, I had the opportunity to be surrounded by people of ALL colors, ALL faiths, ALL ethnicities. It was wonderful and added an element to my education, that I never would have gotten otherwise. How could this be bad? This is IMHO, a worthy cause and the means justify the end. I think their method is creative and it appears to be working, where other programs have failed.

While I do feel for those "Better qualified" white students, who've been "passed over", (a phrase I heard quite often in my childhood), I would like to point out that there are other ways to accumulate the highly controversial "points", besides grades, test scores and race, as Dr. Coleman has pointed out. I HATE sports analogies, but here goes. Anyone remember the U/M, Notre Dame game this past season? The "Phantom Touchdown" and a questionable "Safety"? How do you coach to a team that lost that way? Simple. DON'T PLAY THAT CLOSE. If Michigan is your end all choice, then you had better start early, practice hard and find your way in. (I have a feeling, the studens who were "discriminated" against, could have their choice of many other top colleges or universities, so what is the issue here? Certainly not their ability to obtain a quality education, if indeed, they were so beautifully qualified.)

I would like some insight into how this issue has affected other Michigan Alumni, and/or current/prospective students. Since I really don't like the tone of the Debate Board (I really don't like confrontation, despite my topic), I'm posting here, hoping for some non-hostile dialoge. Anyone?

Tracy

Okay, first when I saw UofM I thought University of Miami, lol. I guess that's what I get living in Florida. It wasn't until I realized what the topic was about that you are referring to the University of Michigan (yeah I didn't notice the Blue in your username either, duh).

Anyway, I'm not entirely familiar with the Michigan thing. I do know in Florida we have done away with affirmative action and have another plan if place, I believe it's called One Florida. http://www.oneflorida.org/myflorida/government/governorinitiatives/one_florida/education.html I really don't know the impact it's having, though I am sure there is research out there supporting both sides. I am a minority (hispanic) and when I applied for college I said that I was white. Why? Because Affirmative Action was still in place in Florida, and I wanted to be sure I got in on my own merit. But that's just me. I applied to one University and thankfully I was accepted.

Miss Jasmine,

Congrats on your future education! I've been reading about the Florida and Texas programs. They sound like a really good way to go, but I'm also hearing that, while providing Minority students with a better opportunity (ALWAYS a good thing), it isn't really achieving the diversity it was intended to do. Any comments on that? Are the colleges more diverse?

Tracy

According to most "forms" I am no race at all!!!!

My dad is "American"-white, I suppose
My mom is 100% cuban
that makes me half hispanic-

Soooooo, do I check Hispanic (with my blue eyes and blonde hair- take after daddy)

or do I check White (not of Hispanic origin)?

Susy,
Good question and good point. I do think that if, in the name of diversity, your Cuban heritage can benefit the climate, then it would be fair to list yourself as minority. I'm certain that others would disagree, citing your blonde hair and blue eyes, or some other such nonsense.

See, the thing is, U of M is trying to create a climate in which all races, faiths, etc., are represented. It's really good to know that we are all created equal, and representing one's own cultural/ethnic background, in an educational setting, is a great way to break down the ugly wall of racism and prejudice.

I know I sound like a televangelist here, but we really need to see the benefit other people have in our lives every day. It's kind of like if every day was a perfect day, how would you know? Wouldn't it be boring and eventually not so perfect? Same thing with diversity. Who wants the same thing all the time?

Still, there are problems with integration, and I was wondering what any of you out there have experienced.

Tracy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter