Intro and question about "Anti-DVCers"

I get snobbed against simply for going to WDW regularly. That's the risk when you hang with the crunchy granola crowd.

Hey, some of us crunchy granola people love Disney too. :hippie: We just wear birks not crocs. :rotfl:

I think that there are some at my work who look at me kind of funny when I talk about it. Okay, at every opportunity.

I think that they see me being excited about DVC and wonder about me. Maybe something is wrong with me for doing this, they probably think. That is the impression that I get anyway.

I am not a young chicken anymore, but I'm not ready for retirement either. I will be able to break even and them some if all goes well.

Do not let others discourage you. They most likely do not understand how it all works or they are not really interested in going to WDW. People who do not understand something tend to not like it.
I've been involved in DVC and other timeshare long enough to see things make a full circle. I've seen people's eyes glaze over when I mentioned timeshare only to have them come to me repeatedly a couple of years later when they get some additional information. I've had a number of people come back years later and ask about timeshares that I thought had no interest, many of them ended up buying into some system or the other. The one's I find really entertaining are the ones that know nothing and have no interest then go to a timeshare presentation, buy a week and suddenly they are an expert. I see it in person and I see it on this board at times. For some reason that seems to happen with Marriott more than any other system, in my experience, or maybe I'm just more in tuned to DVC and Marriott like when you buy a car and then see the same type all over the road.

...The biggest thing I always tell people is to not put too much thought into what other people think...

This is generally good advice and not just relative to DVC and WDW.

I've been involved in DVC and other timeshare long enough to see things make a full circle. I've seen people's eyes glaze over when I mentioned timeshare only to have them come to me repeatedly a couple of years later when they get some additional information. I've had a number of people come back years later and ask about timeshares that I thought had no interest, many of them ended up buying into some system or the other. The one's I find really entertaining are the ones that know nothing and have no interest then go to a timeshare presentation, buy a week and suddenly they are an expert. I see it in person and I see it on this board at times. For some reason that seems to happen with Marriott more than any other system, in my experience, or maybe I'm just more in tuned to DVC and Marriott like when you buy a car and then see the same type all over the road.

I never thought I would purchase any timeshare, including DVC. In my case , "a couple of years" took substantially longer, but this had more to do with establishing ourselves financially and educating myself about timeshares. I have also experienced the "Eureka" experts with the Hilton system. Do you think this has anything to do with the relative size of the DVC, Marriott, and Hilton systems? BTW, I've encountered "Eureka" effect about WDW in general with good friends who have taken one trip and are now the world's foremost authorities. Heck, what I learned in graduate school is how much I don't know.

I have also experienced the "Eureka" experts with the Hilton system. Do you think this has anything to do with the relative size of the DVC, Marriott, and Hilton systems? BTW, I've encountered "Eureka" effect about WDW in general with good friends who have taken one trip and are now the world's foremost authorities. Heck, what I learned in graduate school is how much I don't know.
I do think that some of the more high profile main stream companies have more than their fair share of instant experts. Most are well meaning, decent people that truly think they know enough to help other people. While it often creates confusion while it's going on, it does help the person in question actually get to the place they could help other people. To be honest, my impression is that DVC members who end up buying a non DVC timeshare are more likely than most to fit into this category. Truth is it might have been myself at one point in time. I recall a member on the DVC UK board that was just convinced you could join and use II directly by means of owning DVC. Last I heard he was still out to lunch.

Hi Amanda--

First of all--good for you for doing your homework and researching before you buy! :goodvibes I think many people buy DVC as an emotional purchase while on a WDW vacation and then end up angry b/c they can't book at _____ (fill in the blank) for next month as it is already full. So consider yourself way ahead of the crowd already!

I have read some of the negative DVC remarks here and I attribute them to a few things:

1) As you said, these were cash-paying guests. Yes, I adore my DVC---BUT if I was paying 300 - 400 or more per night, I might be somewhat miffed. That is a ton of money. And although the resorts are lovely, I don't know that they are worth that.

2) Sticker shock. People think, "sure, I love Disney so I'll look into DVC..." and then they find out the price of the inital buy-in and freak! :scared1:

3) They may have encountered one of those DVCers who is at the front desk demanding something because "I paid $20,000 to be a DVC member and I DESERVE ______ and you better do it for me RIGHT NOW!"

I just had my first experience with #3 above and was embarassed to be a DVCer at that moment.

So, if I heard that comment before being an owner, that could possibly taint my perception of what DVC owners were like.

Those of us on these boards are just plum crazy about our ownership though! :love: :love:

. You'll -- even now -- sense the attitude that staying someplace like All Stars or Pop Century is "slumming";

Quite a few dvc'ers stay at the All Stars or Pop Century on the ridiculously expensive fri/sat nights, then switch to DVC for Sun/Thurs. We do :) I have just as much fun over at those hotels as I do at DVC, DVC's just more comfortable.

I don't judge people on where they stay; I've had a memorable experience with people at the Grand Floridian, who were, for lack of a better term, white trash, and they were determined to whoop it up at the GF because, and I'm paraphrasing them here, evidently they were going to live how the rich folks do!

Hey, hillbilly antics aside, they didn't care what other people thought about them, and had a great time (somewhat at everyone else's expense), so I wouldn't worry too much what other people think.

Enjoy yourself! Just remember to bathe regularly and leave the wifebeaters at home...

I have to add, the only ugliness we've ever encountered in person is our kids' phys ed teacher, who will ask them "are you going to disney again!" and then snorts derisively and shakes her head when the kids tell them exactly what date the next trip is planned for.

I don't get some people at all-how do they get through the day being that rotten?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter