Is anyone going to Peru in 2008?

caj0901

Earning My Ears
Sorry about my first post. I'm new to this. We just booked the Peru trip for June 2008. Anyone else going?:confused:

Wife and I are going but a different date, great that Disney decided on this!

Last edited:
We're going on June 17th departure. Me, dh, ds 14 and ds 11. We're excited about going. Have you been there before? Are you concerned about altitude sickness at all?

We have not been before. Reading everything we can get our hands on. I don't know if it makes me more or less worried about altitude sickness that the hotels' websites brag about having oxygen in the rooms! We're just trying to get all of us in really good shape, so if we're winded we know it's from the altitude and not from being couch surfers.

We're just trying to get all of us in really good shape, so if we're winded we know it's from the altitude and not from being couch surfers.

LOL, one of the "plus" factors for deciding on Peru was that I need to get in better shape for all the climbing and high altitude. So, am going to start (for the second time) the Couch to 5K program on the elliptical and work on my cardio.

Last edited:
We were *this* close to signing up for the Peru trip, but opted for Costa Rica this year. I think Peru could happen in 2009 (fingers crossed).

Thanks for the tip about Anthony Bourdain and Samantha Brown. I checked the TravelChannel website. Samantha Brown will be on Jan 18th at 8:30 PM at Machu Picchu. Anthony Bourdain will be on in Peru February 7th at 1 PM and again Feb 24th at 5 PM.

Funny, I've started on the same Couch to 5K program, on a treadmill, though.:goodvibes

We are going on the June 3 trip to Peru too. Me, DH and DS, 13. We did Costa Rica last year and it was a BLAST. I do want to go back to CR some day. Two years ago we did Adventures to Italy (Rome, Tuscany, Venice).

So glad to "meet" someone else going on our trip! Especially an ABD veteran. Any words of wisdom?

For anyone going on the Peru adventure: have you thought about vaccines at all? I know Disney says we won't need them. Looking at the guidebooks, however, it does seem like we will be on the edge of some of the zones that require them. I read a book about yellow fever a few months ago, and it scared the mosquitoes out of me! Several guidebooks also suggest the typhoid pills. Any comments?

I'm not going to Peru, but I would recommend the Hep A/B shot. Just a precaution. I don't believe it is required though.

So glad to "meet" someone else going on our trip! Especially an ABD veteran. Any words of wisdom?

For anyone going on the Peru adventure: have you thought about vaccines at all? I know Disney says we won't need them. Looking at the guidebooks, however, it does seem like we will be on the edge of some of the zones that require them. I read a book about yellow fever a few months ago, and it scared the mosquitoes out of me! Several guidebooks also suggest the typhoid pills. Any comments?

As the other poster said it doesn't hurt to get Hep A/B shots. Here's some advice I have from prior ABD trips and traveling in general:

Don't assume your luggage will make it even if you are not switching planes. Last year on our way to CR our plane stopped in Miami. We had to get off but got right back on the same one. My luggage didn't make it. Apparently, the airline still takes all the bags off and then puts them back on again, or so I was told ... I ended up wearing my son's clothes for the first two days and some t-shirts I bought at the hotel. This time, I am bringing an extra set of clothes for all of us in our carry on luggage.

Don't bring new shoes that are not "broken in" yet

Bring the ipod, nintendo or books to read on the bus or when just chilling - especially important for my son who can't sit and do nothing ...

Trips are really casual. They always say that one night there is opportunity to dress up a little more but most don't ... some do though so it's whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Bring extra plastic bags for wet clothes/bathing suits.

If prone to altitude sickness, sinus infections etc, get a script from your doctor and fill it.

if you are interested in any kind of spa treatment, it might be worth booking it a head of time at whatever hotel(s) we are staying at that have a spa.

The guides really take care of everything so there's not much to plan for except to get ready for some fun.

Let me know if you have any questions! Look forward to meeting you :goodvibes

We are also going June 17 to Peru. Me, DD 15 and DD 13.

We got Hep A/B. And are going to get Typhoid shots.
From what I read yellow fever and malaria is spread my mosquitoes. The trip is supposedly at a higher elevation than mosquitoes live.
But Hep A and Typhoid can be spread by bad hygeine.

CDC specifically says we don't need yellow fever for going to Cuzco and Macchu Picchu. So that's a relief! I think the typhus is now available in a couple of pills rather than a shot, so at least that's one less jab. I hate shots!

Of course, I was cracking up looking at the CDC maps. The only place as bad as tropical South America for the aedes aegypti mosquito - which is what spreads yellow fever and dengue fever - is my own coastal NC! (Maybe I should get the vaccine anyway, for gardening this summer:laughing: )

TinkLLG, thanks for all the tips! Especially helpful about how casual it it. I always over pack.

"Walking the World" Peru: The Inca Trail" is on the Travel Channel on March 5th, it seems to be a touch more informative than the other two I mentioned before and focuses more on the hike. There's a bit on Cusco and Sacsayhuaman, quite a bit on culture and history, a teensie bit on Machu Picchu at the end plus ..y'know, lots and lots of gorgeous scenery!

Last edited:
That's crazy about them not picking you up. Our flight gets in at 10:49 pm and they are picking us up.

When I booked the flights - through ABD - the guy who helped me told me that Disney knew going into it that most of the flights would be arriving late on the first night, which is why the welcome isn't until the next day.

Also, going out we are on a red eye that leaves just past midnight. They are taking us to the airport then.

I've never been to Peru but I was in Ecuador earlier this year. Coming from a city that is basically sea level (105M) and flying directly into Quito (2,800M) I was worried about altitude sickness (I knew from previous experience that I don't deal well with high altitude).

My travel doctor prescribed some medication that I filled and took (you start it 24 hours before you arrive and continue for the first 48 hours at altitude) and I had no problems. Two notes though: 1. Do not drink anything with carbonation while on the drugs - they will taste nasty (you really taste the carbon dioxide in them); 2. If you are going down to (or near) sea level and then back up, you may want to consider getting two sets of the pills - we spent time in Quito, then went to the Galapagos Islands (obviously sea level) and then spent another 2 weeks at high elevations, so the doctor prescribed two sets of the altitude sickness meds.

We currently booked the Peru trip for July but am now wondering if the weather may be too cold during that time since it is winter. Anyone have experience with Peru in July?

HI everyone! I am not going on the Peru trip, but I did study abroad there 2 summers ago so I thought maybe I could offer some advice?

A PP mentioned not being worried about altitude sickness in Machu Piccu. MP isn't the problem, trust me. The problem is when you first get into Cuzco. My student group was about 30 strong, and after the first night in Cuzco about 10 of us (myself included) woke up with what seemed like a terrible case of food poisioning, but it was actually what the locals call "suroche"...altitude sickness. And this was after spending a few days down in the Sacred Valley trying to acclimate. HA! I don't say this to scare you, but to enforce the recommendation of pills that others mentioned.

Secondly, WATCH YOUR SURROUNDINGS. I was part of a group who all speak Spanish pretty well, but we were still singled out. More than one friend was pickpocketed. An "Adventures By Disney" nametag will only attract the wrong kind of attention if you're out at night. Watch out for the kids, they are experts because you can't feel their little hands. Again not to scare you, just to make you aware. I'm sure the guides will prep you with all this when you arrive.

Peru is an amazing country with a really interesting history. I hope you all really enjoy your trip. If you go up to Sacsayhuaman (Sexywoman!) be sure to try and make it down the rock slides, they are so much fun!

Are you hiking to MP or taking the train? The hike is so AMAZING but it is strenuous. I would do it again though.

Ten un buen viaje!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter