Is anyone NOT booking 2009 because of the prices?

Queenofthecastle

<font color=red>I may be the Queen, but the Tag Fa
Is it just me or did the prices go way up compared to 2008? We were considering Viva Italia, but not so much any more. Why do that when we can go to South Africa for $1000 more? :rotfl2:

We booked Storybook Kingdoms (formerly Ancient Empires Czech Republic and Austria) and the price actually went down and the itinerary improved.

But, you can't find the 2008 prices on the web site right now (unless they've updated it) to compare.

We've been thinking/planning/budgeting for London/Paris for nearly a year. However, this price jump had us gasping for air.

On top of that we were planning to fly on Delta SkyMiles, but apparently that system will also change just the time we'd need to book. We're waiting until the new SkyMiles system is launched to see what we can get.

BFF REALLY wants to do this trip, but my bank account is choking over it. I'd almost rather do twice as many DCL than this ABD trip.
Really depressed now,
Gayle

We are taking the Christmas 2008 Knights and Lights tour, and were really excited about planning a trip closer to home during 2009. My husband and I were really interested in the Rocky Mountain trip, but after looking at the prices, we will have to sit out in 2009. The point about airline miles is also important - we used skymiles for our Europe trip this year and I am sure with all the air changes, it may not have been possible for us to use them in 09.
I am disappointed, but hopefully 2010 will be better??

Is anyone NOT booking 2009 because of the prices?

Yes, we are waiting until 2010 now. I'm hoping the dollar will be stronger against the EURO which will make the trip less expensive. But costs could go up anyway for a even trade. Still the prices are pretty steep. Also, I couldn't get any of the 40k mile airfare trips to Europe on American or United.

Here is my breakdown of costs for a family of four:

Viva Italia $13,000 for the base price with EBD
About $4000 airfare
About $500 travel guide tips
About $1000 other meals not included and other purchases while there (this may be low).
Estimated Grand Total $18,500.

Instead my family of four is now going to take a ski trip in February, Great Wolf Lodge trip late Spring, Walt Disney World trip at Christmas, and Atlantis trip next summer. I bet I'll come pretty close or under that $18,500 with these four trips. My estimates - $3k ski, $1.5k GWL, $7k WDW, $7k Atlantis. This is using miles for flights to Orlando and Atlantis and driving to ski and to the Great Wolf Lodge. I know it is not an Adventures by Disney overseas trip, but I think this might make better sense until the price is better or I just have some time to get ready to pay that much for the trip.

So until 2010, I'll dream of the Castles in Germany and the geletto in Italy.

Chad

I know it's probably heresy on this board but for those struggling with teh ABD prices, consider Globus Family Vacationa as an option. I looked on their website and some of teh itineraries are very similar. The price is significantly less for some tours. For instance London and Paris tour is about 40% less based on 2008 prices. Unfortunately they won't release their new prices etc until October.

The level of accomadations does not look as good as ABD. ABD's are over the top in some instances. And I don't know about the quality of the guides etc. I'm sure the "Disney difference" is not there on these trips. I'm not suggesting that it is identical to ABD at all . But Globus is an established company with a good reputation.

I'm just mentioning this because it might be a way for those who can't swing teh ABD prices to still see Europe, the Southwest etc.

Didn't stop me...plugged my nose and dove right in to the Quest for the West! About the same price as the Mexican Disney Cruise we just took this summer. Time with my family on a vacation bound to be a blast - PRICELESS :woohoo:

I actually had all of the prices from the last set of vacations saved for comparison purposes. Of course, I only saved the Early Booking Rates, but comparing them may give you an idea of whether things went up or down.

Mid-Atlantic (DC) - 8 days/7 nights - $1,599
Southwest - 8 days/7 nights - $1,819
Tuscany - 7 days/6 nights - $1,989
Hollywood - 6 days/5 nights - $2,079
Peru - 9 days/8 nights - $2,159
Wyoming - 7 days/6 nights - $2,159
Costa Rica - 7 days/6 nights - $2,159
Southern Italy - 7 days/6 nights - $2,159
Provence & Paris - 7 days/6 nights - $2,159
Austria & Czech Republic - 8 days/7 nights - $2,239
Ireland - 8 days/7 nights - $2,299
Germany - 9 days/8 nights - $2,319
Spain - 9 days/8 nights - $2,319
Italy - 9 days/8 nights - $2,639
England & France - 8 days/7 nights - $2,879
Australia - 10 days/9 nights - $3,199
China - 13 days/12 nights - $3,999

It appears that you do not save as much money with the early booking discount as last year. However, the regular prices in some cases have gone down. I booked Enchanted China at the regular rate of $4999 this year, and that was for a May departure. Departing next year at the same time, the regular rate is $4599. The people in my group agreed that we didn't see how Disney could make a profit at the early booking rates.

fyi, the rates posted above were for last years Value Season early booking rates, usually much lower than the peak summer season.

I always planned to make this a 2010 trip. But...I, also, am hoping the that American dollar will be stronger and the prices will be better.. I am not sure if this isn't more than wishful thinking though...

Between the price and the relative lack of quality in the trip we wanted (Boston / New York), we decided not to book. We're going to take the money we were going to use and buy more DVC points. YEAH! A win / win situation if ever I heard it!

Maybe they'll readjust some trips for next year.

Julie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter