Is HHI too "laid back" for teens?

JoEllen

DIS Veteran
We are thinking about trying HHI next June instead of our usual stay at OKW to try and mix things up abit. I'm alittle concerned that 8 - 10 days at HHI would become boring for our 15 yr old DD. We have tried VB and love it but 3-4 days is all we really want. Since we all golf that would be a plus at HHI. Are most of the resort activities geared for young families? We're coming from the West Coast so would have a rental car. Also noticed a big jump in points for Saturday night. Do you prefer to pay cash for that night?

I've been reading the various threads concerning HHI and have found them very helpful! Just wondered what your thoughts were as concerns an extended stay and older families.

HHI is to laid back for my family and our kids. Our kids are younger but they get bored at the beach after just 1 day.

My boys are 13 (almost 14) and 15, and they love going to HH. They never get bored there, then again, we have never stayed longer than 5 days. They also have each other to pal around with. They will walk down to the pier and crab, swim, play ping pong, shuffle board, or pool at Murggie's Den. They also participated in teen night out on our last trip, which included pizza and a movie. I'm not sure how it would go being there for 10 days (though I know I would love it!). How busy does your daughter like to stay while on vacation? The atmosphere is definitely laid back, but it is perfect for us. Would your daughter be interested in meeting other kids her age? There were other teens there during our trip, but my boys never seem to be willing to go out and meet anyone. I guess that's one of the drawbacks of them having each other to hang out with. They did offer a few other teen activities, but my kids didn't attend those.

I'm not sure if this would work out for you or not, but maybe split it up between OKW and HH? It is about a 5-6 hour drive between the two places. Good luck with your decision!

Much as I love HH, 8 days may be a little long for teenagers. If you can split the time with WDW, that would be great. Otherwise, maybe just 5 days or so?

Can you mix up some site seeing days in there to Savannah and Charleston?

Does your DD like to just hang out by the pool or beach or does she like to be doing something. There is not a lot to do for teens if they are in the 'this is stupid' phase especially if they aren't there with friends or siblings to hang out with.

They love HH......I have a 15 and a 19 year old son.....they love HH...they walk the beach, meet other teens, hang out at resort, or over at sheltor cove. Sheltor cove has live entertainment almost every night......

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure she would meet teens if there are enough teen activities at the resort. Plus she will play golf with us at least 3 days. But it still would be alot of down time. Something to consider :rolleyes1

Nice to know there are older families going there too. I'm going to get some travel books on the area including Savannah. If there are some historical things to see it would be fun. We don't have alot of that out here in Washington state.

We've discussed driving a rental from HHI to OKW but DH says two full days of travel time (from/to Seattle) are his limit on vacation.

Thank you again for sharing your ideas!

I too have a teen (16 yrs), and she finds plenty to do during the summer here at HH. Does she like water sports? You can rent jet skis, go parasailing, attend a 3-day kayaking class, and there is also a kayak tour specifically for teens that launches from Shelter Cove. She could also go trail riding if she likes horses. Don't forget to get bikes! There is also a lot of summer theatre playing, if that is of interest. For a 10 day trip, I would definitely take advantage of a trip to Charleston and enjoy the history!

Those are great ideas and she loves water sports so the kayaking tour would be a must.

Shelter Cove has been mentioned twice. Is it on Disney property? Is it like Community Hall?

Shelter Cove is a large marina adjacent to the DVC. You cross over a bridge and there you are! Besides the boats there are lots of shops and restaurants and activities. The HH Playhouse is located as an outbuilding in the parking lot of Shelter Cove. It's great to have so much within walking distance. On Tuesday nights there is also a fireworks display.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter