• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it me? Turkey question

Disney Ella

DIS Veteran
I used to really like turkey, but it just isn't as tasty anymore. I've tried different brands, fresh, frozen, etc. and it still doesn't have as much taste as it did 10 years ago. I'm not sure if my taste buds have changed or if poultry companies are no longer adding some additives that made the turkey taste better.

Have you noticed any difference in the taste of turkey or is it just me?

It's not just you. I notice it with chicken too. I had better luck when I bought a "heritage" turkey from a farm. It had a very good flavor. But it was expensive.

Yes poultry has changed....I've switched to organic or some of the better all-natural brands and it has improved the quality/taste.

I think it's the breeding for size. Honestly sometimes if I'm buying run of the mill chicken I look for the smallest sizes and they taste better.

I am debating paying out the big bucks for a organic/not frozen/$$$ turkey for this year.

My mom brought up buying a fresh turkey. I told that you would probably need to brine it for moistness and flavor. Yes or No?

Fresh turkey is incredibly dry, IMO. We never buy them, but often go to a friend's home for Thanksgiving, and that's all she serves- fresh, free-range turkey. UGH.

Yes poultry has changed....I've switched to organic or some of the better all-natural brands and it has improved the quality/taste.

I think it's the breeding for size. Honestly sometimes if I'm buying run of the mill chicken I look for the smallest sizes and they taste better.

I am debating paying out the big bucks for a organic/not frozen/$$$ turkey for this year.

Breeding for size is precisely the culprit in why poultry flavor/texture is declining. I've had better luck getting a fresh Amish turkey through my butcher. I will pick up a couple of the smaller, frozen Butterball or Honeysuckle Whites to toss in the freezer when they're on sale, but for the Thanksgiving table I go ahead and pay more for one I'm more confident will deliver good results.

We always have Butterball smoked turkey; turkey tends to be very dry and that process adds some flavor. My grandmother used to find a really fat roasting chicken and use that instead, but my husband insisted on turkey so that is what the kid have grown up accustomed to.

I've noticed a chemical taste, and I think it has to do with the detergents they use to wash the birds with after they're killed and defeathered.

Last edited:
Of course poultry has been bred for size and especially to produce a larger proportion of breast meat. That's what the American public wants from its factory farmed poultry. The turkey that's "pardoned" by the President each year rarely lives longer than a year, and that's due to the breeding of turkeys that have white feathers (which means no dark spots on the skin where the feathers are plucked), a massive amount of breast meat, and quick growth to market size.

I don't know how legal it would be for me to grab a turkey around the neighborhood and just eat it. How it would taste probably depends on what it's been eating. They're also much older (and probably tougher) than the young turkeys that are frozen. I'm not even sure I have an oven big enough for one.

As far as other poultry goes, someone tipped me off to going to Chinatown or Asian markets for something they call "yellow skin chicken".

Of course poultry has been bred for size and especially to produce a larger proportion of breast meat. That's what the American public wants from its factory farmed poultry. The turkey that's "pardoned" by the President each year rarely lives longer than a year, and that's due to the breeding of turkeys that have white feathers (which means no dark spots on the skin where the feathers are plucked), a massive amount of breast meat, and quick growth to market size.

I don't know how legal it would be for me to grab a turkey around the neighborhood and just eat it. How it would taste probably depends on what it's been eating. They're also much older (and probably tougher) than the young turkeys that are frozen. I'm not even sure I have an oven big enough for one.

As far as other poultry goes, someone tipped me off to going to Chinatown or Asian markets for something they call "yellow skin chicken".

There are rules for legal hunting of wild turkeys. Taste of any animal meat is dependent on the animal's diet. Of course wild turkeys will have more of a gamey taste than farm fed birds -- although they're not guaranteed to be much larger simply because of their age. The wild birds are likely more active and not guaranteed a steady amount to eat, both of which affect their size.

I ordered a fresh not frozen turkey and it still came frozen. Are they suppose to be frozen?

There are rules for legal hunting of wild turkeys. Taste of any animal meat is dependent on the animal's diet. Of course wild turkeys will have more of a gamey taste than farm fed birds -- although they're not guaranteed to be much larger simply because of their age. The wild birds are likely more active and not guaranteed a steady amount to eat, both of which affect their size.

I live in a residential area, so hunting is not going to happen. And taking of roadkill is illegal in California. Still - a lot of people have fantasies of somehow killing the deer or turkeys that are nuisance animals in the suburbs around here. Still - the turkeys around aren't terribly aggressive. I've heard of cases where people have be trapped in their cars because turkeys started going after them.

I live in a residential area, so hunting is not going to happen. And taking of roadkill is illegal in California. Still - a lot of people have fantasies of somehow killing the deer or turkeys that are nuisance animals in the suburbs around here. Still - the turkeys around aren't terribly aggressive. I've heard of cases where people have be trapped in their cars because turkeys started going after them.

In your post you specifically stated "I don't know how legal it would be for me to grab a turkey in the neighborhood and just eat it". I think my response was quite appropriate. You may note I said nothing about roadkill or attempted to state what the hunting rules might be where you live -- particularly since I have no idea where that may be.

Yes, wild turkeys are sometimes aggressive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter