Is it rude to hold a place in line waiting at entrance to park for another family?

Life is full of grey areas. What if everyone…?

Circumstances have been pointed out where there could be justification to hold the line for others. Is that the same as being 100% perfectly acceptable all the time? Assign the fastest in our party to stake our place in every line this trip and the rest of us will catch up eventually. Sounds like a good time for all involved :o Especially for the family trying to do it over and over again. The stress is sooo worth it! Lol

I don’t worry about it though, at least at this point when it’s not very common. So far hasn’t made any real difference to our trips.

We don't do the saving spots for rides, but we definitely divide and conquer at the gates. The first one to the front of the line wins. It's a game we play because that person who wins picks the first ride of the day. It literally takes us 10 seconds to scan 3 people in. If someone is hurt by 10 seconds then they probablt have bigger problems.

What? It wasn’t wrong. The CMs are the ones who told him to and opened the chain.

But they also told him to do it at other rides where they wouldn’t open the chain - he was just supposed to join us the last place he could. No one would know it was sanctioned! That’s what I’m saying; people are judging late line joiners but Disney TELLS them to do it.
“I was just following orders.”

Hmm.

Some people in this must be real fun at parties.
/sarcasm

If it’s not some major abuse like 6 people joining one in a ride line then it’s really not a big deal. I don’t know how someone could have a good time at the park if they are that high strung about a potential 1 minute delay on their ride experience?

I don’t rope drop enough to have an opinion on line cutting for entrance. The only time I remember it annoying me was when we would ropedrop to get on rise, and even then it never actually affected our ability to get in on time. I could actually see this annoying me if it happens a lot more often than ride line cutting (and I would imagine it does) and if the cutters all need their pictures taken/have technical issue.

Replying to Tink 3815, who said, "Why did the others in your party not wait to get in line until the person with the disability felt comfortable to do so. I'm sure that a lot of people would say they have issues with waiting in line, but they do so anyways or their party waits until they feel comfortable to join a line."

I use an ECV at WDW, plus a cane to walk short distances. The newer attractions accommodate ECVs in the line, and I have no problem just staying with my group. Some of the lines do not permit ECVs in line, the line stays long throughout the day, and I cannot stand through it. What has happened recently is that the entire group, including me, goes to a cast member and explains the situation at those attractions. The cast member scans all of our bands or tickets, and gives us a time to return, corresponding to the wait time of the people who have just entered the line. We all return at the indicated time (usually 20-45 minutes later) to a designated line, which is separate from the normal entry line--sometimes a handicapper or fast pass line. The cast member there scans all of the bands and tickets. This process seems fair to me. True, it does allow the people who are with me to enjoy something other than standing in line while we are waiting, but it is rarely enough time to take in a different attraction.

....a case of obvious cutting the line happened to us last week. My niece and I had already been waiting on line for over half an hour [on FoP at AK] when suddenly a woman moved past us, followed by [I'm guessing] her daughter, and then another family member, and another, and another, and another....for a total of 7 people. However, NO MEMBER of her family was on line. They moved as far as they could past everyone, getting past at least 30-35 people! Why do people feel entitled?

....a case of obvious cutting the line happened to us last week. My niece and I had already been waiting on line for over half an hour [on FoP at AK] when suddenly a woman moved past us, followed by [I'm guessing] her daughter, and then another family member, and another, and another, and another....for a total of 7 people. However, NO MEMBER of her family was on line. They moved as far as they could past everyone, getting past at least 30-35 people! Why do people feel entitled?

I think it's because they know that the majority of us are nice people who would prefer not to raise a stink. Especially in these days when you don't know if calling someone out will result in embarrassment for them or a pop on the nose for you!!

I think it's because they know that the majority of us are nice people who would prefer not to raise a stink. Especially in these days when you don't know if calling someone out will result in embarrassment for them or a pop on the nose for you!!
....EXACTLY! :rolleyes: :confused3

Does it annoy me? Yes.
Do I see it as cutting? Yup.
Would I say something? Only to whomever I'm with.
Does it matter who's cutting? Wholeheartedly! A parent with 1 child joining another parent with another child would bother me less than, say, a family of 4 joining another family of 4. Then it's poor planning vs a "kid" issue like a potty emergency. I made the effort to get myself up and ready, my husband got himself up and ready, and somehow between the 2 of us, we managed to cajole a 7yo to get up and ready as well, *plus* grabbing a to-go breakfast because we made it a priority to get there early.... And when my grands see it, they call it out loudly. (Then we have a discussion about not everyone's person values being the same as ours.

All that being said, I have a MUCH bigger issue when 1 or 2 people are standing in line at a ride and 6 people join them right before we get on the ride. Had that happen a few months ago-- a middle-age mom waiting in line and then *6* teenagers come walking up, fresh slushies in hand, pushing by us (not even so much as an "excuse me"). That one burned my biscuits a bit as they literally extended our wait by 6 people!
I spoke up to someone who was waiting for a ride & allowed a few people to join her, forcing the rest of us to have a longer wait. She gave me rude attitude about how, somehow, it was none of my business [which it clearly was], when I thought I'd been polite but clear. When 3 MORE of her friends joined, assuming they would just jump into the line, she pulled them to the back of the line. As they left, she made a snarky comment about how they were GOING TO THE BACK -- DOES THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY??? I said I thought it would make everyone on line happy & wished her a fun day.

Replying to Tink 3815, who said, "Why did the others in your party not wait to get in line until the person with the disability felt comfortable to do so. I'm sure that a lot of people would say they have issues with waiting in line, but they do so anyways or their party waits until they feel comfortable to join a line."

I use an ECV at WDW, plus a cane to walk short distances. The newer attractions accommodate ECVs in the line, and I have no problem just staying with my group. Some of the lines do not permit ECVs in line, the line stays long throughout the day, and I cannot stand through it. What has happened recently is that the entire group, including me, goes to a cast member and explains the situation at those attractions. The cast member scans all of our bands or tickets, and gives us a time to return, corresponding to the wait time of the people who have just entered the line. We all return at the indicated time (usually 20-45 minutes later) to a designated line, which is separate from the normal entry line--sometimes a handicapper or fast pass line. The cast member there scans all of the bands and tickets. This process seems fair to me. True, it does allow the people who are with me to enjoy something other than standing in line while we are waiting, but it is rarely enough time to take in a different attraction.
I agree that this is fair. One year, my mom rented a wheelchair at WDW because she couldn't manage all the walking anymore -- she never used one in her daily life. We were moved to the front of every line & the 1st row at the Christmas concert at EPCOT. It was just too much!

I told the CM at the concert that we really didn't need to take the 1st row, that we just wanted to be seated somewhere that was accessible & she assured us that it wasn't a problem. It was awkward for us, though, because it seemed unfair to others who might have needed the space. And then my mom stood up with every one else during the Hallelujah Chorus. No one even gave her fish eye, maybe because we had been talking between ourselves about how unnecessary it was & were probably overheard.

I should note that I have traveled extensively with 2 people who used wheelchairs every day & their only concern aywhere was whether there would be access & whether they would have to take some back disgusting or scary entrance past the dumpsters to get to their seats.

I am astounded by the attitude that an increasing number of park-goers appear to have - as some on this thread have reported encountering - which is "I should be able to cut in front of you and you should just accept it. And, if you say anything about it, I will get angry and tell you off." Can anyone explain to me why it is that these people are entitled to cut ahead of others who have patiently waited and demand that those who are passed by should just "suck it up"? Are they bestowed with some civil right of which the rest of us are unaware...or is it just some form of low level sociopathic behavior?

As an annual passholder and frequent visitor to the parks, I cannot recall a trip in the past few months where I did not encounter someone walking past others in a line with some mumbled excuse of "trying to catch up to my family". Frankly, I don't give a rip if they are trying to catch up with a family member. Get your act together and be there on time. Others should not have to be inconvenienced because you are selfish or ignorantly engaging in some sort of line cutting game. Don't expect others to be responsible for your social incompetence.. As for the disability argument being presented by some posters, of course, there are circumstances in which that is the case. However, I am not buying this "red herring" attempt at universally legitimizing line cutting by urging everyone to embrace an inherent assumption that those persons must be disabled. We know that the staff is more than willing to accommodate those with a qualifying disability and I think we all understand and appreciate their efforts to do so.

Unfortunately, it is not just the attitude at the parks. Our country has created an attitude that rules do not need to be followed. Everything rolls down to all aspects of society

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter