Is it rude to hold a place in line waiting at entrance to park for another family?

I was about to start a thread when I saw this one. We are annual pass holders so we're frequently at the parks and have been witnessing what seems to be an increase in line cutting incidents. For example, a couple of weeks ago, we were in line for Flights of Passage at AK. During our wait, two adult couples and one adult with a teen separately came up behind us saying "Excuse me, I'm trying to get to my family...they're further ahead". We did see that two of those groups eventually reached what I assume was their family. Not sure about the third. A similar thing happened at the Pirates of Caribbean a week later. Finally, this past week, we were in line waiting to get in the Studios at opening. Several groups arrived and simply walked ahead of everyone else to meet someone who was significantly futher ahead in line. These are just recent examples of what we've been seeing in the past year or so. Hey, I understand the necessity of taking a child to the bathroom and rejoining your family...not a problem. But full-grown-adults? Just because you are incapable of managing to arrive at the attraction or park at the same time, does that allow you to cut ahead of everyone else who can tell time?
You don't know if those adults might have a disability. It costs zero to not be judgy of others. Besides, in your example it's 2 ppl, you aren't arriving any faster by being ahead of 2 ppl. If 4 or more adults joined I could understand your point, since disability probability for 4 is lower, but 2 🙄

You don't know if those adults might have a disability. It costs zero to not be judgy of others. Besides, in your example it's 2 ppl, you aren't arriving any faster by being ahead of 2 ppl. If 4 or more adults joined I could understand your point, since disability probability for 4 is lower, but 2 🙄
Doesn't Disney have established programs for people with disabilities. I don't think cutting in line past others who are waiting in line. is part of the program. People need to say no when people ask to pass by you to move ahead of the line. Their family and friends can move back in the line where they are if they want to be together.

star lite wrote: “You don't know if those adults might have a disability. It costs zero to not be judgy of others. Besides, in your example it's 2 ppl, you aren't arriving any faster by being ahead of 2 ppl. If 4 or more adults joined I could understand your point, since disability probability for 4 is lower, but 2 🙄

That these people had a disability is quite an assumption. Those whom I encountered all stated they wanted to pass by because their family was “up ahead”.
However, as someone who investigated and resolved claims of discrimination based on disability in my career, I am familiar with the ADA and sensitive to issues of access to an entity that serves the public (such as Disney) under Title III. One doesn’t enjoy the right simply to move ahead of others on their own volition based on their personal belief they have a qualifying disability that should entitle them to advance in that manner. In fact, other patrons have no obligation to grant such a request. Rather, that responsibility lies entirely with the business entity which must have a process for requesting and receiving a disability based accommodation. The entity must work with the person to assess whether they have a qualifying disability and the nature of the accommodations for which they are eligible. Then, the business must implement that accommodation process.

Disability sometimes equals inability to follow the rules; and also think that rules are for others.

Just happened to us Monday morning. We got up super early to get in DHS. We get to the turnstile (?) and we are second in line. All lines were deep right away. We noticed the young lady in front of us had a shopping bag with four water bottles and a box filled with muffins.

At first we thought that she might be bringing in food/drinks to a friend/CM or meeting friends inside. Within minutes, she is on the phone and texting constantly. 20 minutes or so later while texting, calling, she keeps looking up behind the line. She is also moving back and forth - sort of creating space around her and that's when it hit me. She is waiting for others to join her.

Sure enough, we were right. A couple with two young teenagers came to meet her. They were thankful she brought them water and muffins. They were having them while waiting the rest of the time in line. The young lady might have been their tour guide? Not sure - she handed them tickets and was explaining which way she was going to let them "run" in to get to their ride.

I am used to hearing and seeing people do this. I did not like it but made no comment or face. The couple behind us though commented to us that it was not right and everyone else has been waiting and got there very early with their kids. I told them it's not right but not worth commenting but this is why you hear about arguments/fights in line many times. They did not like it but thankfully everyone behaved.

Would it be considered rude to allow a family of four we are travelling with to join us in line at the entrances to give them a bit more time to get ready in the morning? Or is this considered cutting and would be frowned upon by others in line? Don't want to offend anyone (some of us Canadians are funny that way).
Thank you for asking and for not wanting to offend. We are on the same page that it is important.

It is line cutting. I recognize we see it all too frequently. Good manners would be to either fall back to their position or wait for them on the other side. The “meet-up” should always be done without impacting other people’s position in line — even the kid with the need for a bathroom break.

I noticed some others said not to be “judgy.” Frown upon it? Yes. My feelings are legitimate without approval or disapproval by others. Their judgement of my legitimate and natural feelings as “judgy” is itself “judgy”.

However, I am not going to start anything because I do not want to have an unpleasant experience, an unpleasant day and I do not want to get into anything that might cause me to be banned from Disney.

They will do it without permission. If they ask for permission I will politely say no. It is possible to be banned from Disney for line cutting. I do not want to be an accessory to their line cutting violation by agreeing to it. They need that permission and agreement from Disney. Disney has decided what is acceptable line cutting with VIP tours, $ILL, paid Genie+ and (official — not ad hoc) DAS accommodations. Anything else is a violation and is subject to control by Disney. Technically someone who agrees, including the people farther ahead in line, are just as guilty of the violation by aiding and abetting the violation.

So, the right thing to do is when parties want to meet up, either have the front party fall back or wait until the rear party catches up.

An extreme example is if one person holds a spot for eight others, who show up right at park opening. That’s not fair at all to others who played by the rules and showed up on time. Totally not cool, and borderline sociopathic.

Disability sometimes equals inability to follow the rules; and also think that rules are for others.
Nope. Not an excuse here. If the guest has a true mental disability so they are unable to comprehend following the rules, they are going to be there with an attendant. Those who just think the rules apply to others are routinely held liable for their acts.

Would it be considered rude to allow a family of four we are travelling with to join us in line at the entrances to give them a bit more time to get ready in the morning? Or is this considered cutting and would be frowned upon by others in line? Don't want to offend anyone (some of us Canadians are funny that way).
Yes holding a place for someone in any line is rude and ignorant.

Hey guys, I cleaned the thread of some rude posts. Please remember yo be courteous, even when you disagree with others.

I feel like the amount of time matters also. If someone gets in line ahead of me and is joined by others fairly quickly it isn't nearly as eyebrow raising as it would be if a half hour or more had passed. If they show up with coffee, or its obvious someone had to use the restroom or something it is really NBD.

Some folks go way overboard with being unofficial line security. I still remember one year I was entering a park at Disneyworld solo and a large family was all crowded around one of the tap points leaving the one further in open and fee. After watching them and being sure they weren't going to use it I went around to tap in and had a bunch of folks FREAK OUT that I was cutting the line (even though I had been next?!). That caused the CM to scream at me to not cut the line and I sheepishly tried to go back into my place but the family behind me wouldn't let me. They then happily used the tap point I had tried to use while the original family continued to be around just the one. It had been my turn, and the family behind me knew this but happily used the tap point I had tried to move to. The crowd just stared at me as I went all the way to the back of the line and waited again - even now I'm rattled at what the heck happened that day.

Nope. Not an excuse here. If the guest has a true mental disability so they are unable to comprehend following the rules, they are going to be there with an attendant. Those who just think the rules apply to others are routinely held liable for their acts.

There is not a “no holding places in line” rule at DLR. Line jumping where you are not actually joining your party is against the rules, but holding someone’s place in line is not. CMs will actually help people get to their parties by opening chains of you ask them for help. And guest services actually encourages people to have people in their party wait for them and then join them towards the front of the line if one person has issues waiting in line but does not qualify for a DAS pass.

And guest services actually encourages people to have people in their party wait for them and then join them towards the front of the line if one person has issues waiting in line but does not qualify for a DAS pass.
THIS. I have been there with a group where this happened. Disney’s umbrella people TOLD US to wait in line and have the person meet us up front - the CMs opened the chains; we had a second person stay so my uncle wouldn’t be alone, so it was two people joining six.

Soooo many dirty looks and nasty comments. Even though the CMs were the ones helping out and the plaids told us to do it!

So those of you who are soooooo fired up should know that sometimes this happens.

And honestly, ride lines are one thing, but the entrance lines? If some mom wants to get there early and let her family join her after they pick up coffee or whatever, who really cares? I’m sure they just think they’re being smart about dividing and conquering the morning rush. Not worth the energy of being angry.

Why did the others in your party not wait to get in line until the person with the disability felt comfortable to do so. I'm sure that a lot of people would say they have issues with waiting in line, but they do so anyways or their party waits until they feel comfortable to join a line.

THIS. I have been there with a group where this happened. Disney’s umbrella people TOLD US to wait in line and have the person meet us up front - the CMs opened the chains; we had a second person stay so my uncle wouldn’t be alone, so it was two people joining six.

Soooo many dirty looks and nasty comments. Even though the CMs were the ones helping out and the plaids told us to do it!

So those of you who are soooooo fired up should know that sometimes this happens.

And honestly, ride lines are one thing, but the entrance lines? If some mom wants to get there early and let her family join her after they pick up coffee or whatever, who really cares? I’m sure they just think they’re being smart about dividing and conquering the morning rush. Not worth the energy of being angry.
You seem to realize it was wrong. Did word from a CM change your worldview? Only half-joking here.

If a CM or "Plaid" is managing it as a disability accommodation, then it is one of the line jumping exceptions sanctioned and authorized by Disney. That is the difference. It is then in the same category as the other things Disney has decided are acceptable line cutting/jumping such as; VIP tours, $ILL, paid Genie+ and (official — not ad hoc) DAS accommodations. We can add "CM/Plaid managed line cutting/jumping. Anything else is a violation and is subject to control by Disney.

The question is what is sanctioned or authorized directly by Disney. If it is just made up by guests without Disney being involved, then it is a different story.

As to who cares -- I think you said it, "Soooo many dirty looks and nasty comments." Obviously, the people behind the cut do care.

I personally choose not to do anything or say anything because I do not want conflict with other guests. Guests can be banned for line jumping and for serious conflict with other guests. I do not want to be banned.

Disney decides how to handle violations.

Last edited:
You seem to realize it was wrong. Did word from a CM change your worldview? Only half-joking here.
What? It wasn’t wrong. The CMs are the ones who told him to and opened the chain.

But they also told him to do it at other rides where they wouldn’t open the chain - he was just supposed to join us the last place he could. No one would know it was sanctioned! That’s what I’m saying; people are judging late line joiners but Disney TELLS them to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter