• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it stupid to...

Hinz57

Earning My Ears
Buy into a home resort you have no intention of using - even if you have good reason for doing it?

We are buying into VGF tomorrow. Already put our deposit down. Been questioning if this is a poor move since we have no desire to stay at VGF ever. We'd love to buy AKV (which is available) but we have been told that VGF is a better option (even if we aren't staying there.)

Here's our thought process:

1) We live here (25 min from property) and aren't looking to book weeks at a time. At most we'd book 2 nights. Because of this, we are only buying 90 points (for now...)
2) We are pretty okay with the "hey let's see what's available this weekend" mentality full on knowing things might or might not be available. And we are open to staying just about anywhere that won't eat up our points.
3) The Annual Dues at AKV are so much more than VGF. And as two teachers that's playing a pivotal role in our decision.
4) We've been told that VGF has a better resale value and rental value (if renting privately) than other resorts.

So the real question, are we backing ourselves into a wall? Will we ever be able to book studios for a quick night away at AKV? I can (and probably will) book some times I know we have off at the 7 mos mark. But, am I going to be stuck with points and an 11 mos out home resort I'll never use? Or have we been told correctly and home resort really doesn't Matter for what we want? Will we eventually get to see all the resorts? Reading the posts here make it sound like studios are never available. :( We really don't need a 1BR and I'd hate to pay for one.

Advice? Thoughts? Like I said, we are very flex and if we can't stay 'this Saturday' but can in two weeks from now - that's fine. I'm also fine booking at 7 mos if necessary. Just want to be sure we will get to see and experience the whole thing. I hope I'm making sense.

Ok... Not staying there *ever* might be a bit of an exaggeration; but, it certainly isn't my top choice.

I would look at buying resale at SSR - I am a teacher as well and didn't have a ton of funds - that was my first purchase - 95 points for weekend trips and even with a three week notice was able to find rooms at other resorts. The resale is low and the dues are low as well comparative to other resorts. I just bought again at BCV 100 points with a co-worker (only because it's my favorite and I wanted the 11 month opportunity to book there I.e. Food and wine) - we don't live as local as you (the keys) but make frequent weekend trips and like to stay close to the action. If I add on again it would be SSR again I haven't had too much issues booking at 7month window even spring break and Xmas break there are always exceptions but... I have 4 girls one still under 3, but starting next year I will have to add her to the room count so studios will be out of the question, so more points will be needed to continue to vacation the way we like too. I never have a problem using my points I have a problem never having enough and having to rent or have points transferred. Hopefully one day I will have enough to accommodate our needs.

If you are set in VGF then yes the rental is desire able but you would need to book those 11 months out and often times you might not know that far out if you would be using your points, as locals you don't always plan that far out. So the rental DVC sites you would be looking at might not be VGF anyway?? Keep dues in mind!

This time, we aren't set on buying VGF - but we are set on buying direct. When/if we add on - we would see of we were willing to do resale. I really like things straight from the source. So direct, our options are VGF, AKV, or Aulani. Unless I haven't been told something. I was reading on here and saw that sometimes they have points from other properties that they've bought back from FROR. Should I ask about this? We'd love any of the others too. We just find VGF so posh - it isn't really 'us.' We are surfing beach bums. ;)

I would (prices will be a little more reasonable as well) - I bought my first 95 direct my second purchase resale - they will put you on a wait list and call you when they are available - I waited 3 days (this was one year ago) - they won't advertise that you can do that but

If you are decided to buy direct from Disney, then the best option is VGF. You can sell the contract later for much better resale value than others resorts.

But if you love AKV I would recommend buying resale there. You can save half the money you are planning to spend direct (or buy double points).

You lose nothing of real value by buying resale and save a lot!

If you are decided to buy direct from Disney, then the best option is VGF. You can sell the contract later for much better resale value than others resorts.

This is our thought exactly, Paco. I think we will stick with VGF. Since we are so flexible - it should be fine and when we look to add on - we will definitely look resale.

I will also ask about the buy backs from ROFR.

Once we do paperwork, they say closing in 30-45 days. Is it on the shorter or longer end of that? We will have points that will need to be bankedif we can't squeeze in a trip on what's open.

Thanks guys!

If you buy direct you won't have to go through ROFR. Everything should be fast and easy.

If buying resale the common timeline I see everybody is having is 60 days from offer to closing/getting your points. That is: 30 days for passing ROFR and 30 more days for closing and getting your account set by Disney.

I can't think of any reason to buy VGF without planning to stay there a significant portion of the time. You're going to pay triple what you could get points for that will work the same for all or most all of your trips AND you'll pay more per year in dues. You'll almost certainly have something that's worth more than a resale that serves the same purpose but you won't have the extra funds and it won't be worth but maybe double rather than triple.

AKV dues are more than VGF dues.
Currently and they likely will remain so but likely not by the spread they are now. They want the new resort in active sales to look as attractive as possible. BLT was dramatically low when it opened an it's caught up now as predicted. IMO it's unlikely the long term dues for VGF will be on the lower side of the average. However, if the current spread remains, you'd never make up the purchase difference. Thus it's not a justification for paying more for a resort you don't plan to stay at. There were quite a few that took that approach with BLT but it was predictably a plan that wouldn't work out as well as hoped though BLT will likely remain on the lower side of the average as will SSR.

The only reason that we bought VGF is because we want to stay there, we wanted a guaranteed lake view and we want to stay there the 1st half of December so be bought a fixed week.

If We didn't care where we stayed we would buy SSR. If we had to buy direct, we would go on the waiting list with Disney.

:earsboy: Bill

I can't think of any reason to buy VGF without planning to stay there a significant portion of the time. You're going to pay triple what you could get points for that will work the same for all or most all of your trips AND you'll pay more per year in dues. You'll almost certainly have something that's worth more than a resale that serves the same purpose but you won't have the extra funds and it won't be worth but maybe double rather than triple.

I totally agree. I own VGF and could not see using those points for anything but VGF given the buy in price premiun I paid for those over say my SSR points. In your case I would be looking to buy a SSR contract resale for half of what you will pay for VGF direct.

This time, we aren't set on buying VGF - but we are set on buying direct. When/if we add on - we would see of we were willing to do resale. I really like things straight from the source. So direct, our options are VGF, AKV, or Aulani. Unless I haven't been told something. I was reading on here and saw that sometimes they have points from other properties that they've bought back from FROR. Should I ask about this? We'd love any of the others too. We just find VGF so posh - it isn't really 'us.' We are surfing beach bums. ;)

You haven't been told something - Disney will sell you points at any resort - although sometimes there is a wait list.

Also, there is no advantage of significant value in buying direct. If you had money to burn, buy direct - it doesn't sound like you do, however, and I wouldn't want you kicking yourself in a year or two when you understand - but the things you lose by going resale:

• The ability to book non-DVC DISNEY options (Cruise, ABD, and Disney resorts) - all of which take a TON of points to book.
  • The ability to close quickly and book something before closing.

I don't understand if you really want AKV you could surely buy that direct? My advice would be buy where you want to stay if you don't really want VGF don't but it.

As a PP stated, you can buy any DVC resort direct from Disney, depending on availability. If the don't have points "in stock", you can be placed on a wait list. The going rate for the older resorts is $130/point so quite a bit cheaper than VGF although they do expire sooner, in 2042, versus 2064 for VGF so VGF may be worth the extra money to you.

More info on pricing is available on Tim's site, dvcnews.com:
http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions

We were going to buy AK add on ( already got SSR ) but when we realised that VGF were the same price we like you went for VGF instead. It's a smaller resort so better investment. In fact our contacts just arrived by fed ex today! We never have issue getting into AK at 7 months. But we do like VGF so will probably stay there as well.

Given that on the future if they do go ahead with a new big resort at Fort Wilderness smaller resorts like VGF will be very hard to get into at 7 months. So you could always rent out your points to willing renters and in exchange rent or trade for for AK points whilst keeping your investment. I am happy with our decision. vGF will always be smaller than AK.

Curious how you decided on the 90 points - wasn't there an incentive if you bought 10 extra points?

We just bought, direct from DVC, 55 points at Beach Club because we want to go every other year for a week at the F&W in a studio.

It sounds like you intend to book within 7 months. If that is the case buy
resale at SSR it will cost you 50% less and the MF's are cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter